Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic [Story] Banish a Stereotype 2012

United58

I wrote this a few months ago for a writing contest, sadly I didn't win but I had loads of fun writing it. Please enjoy and leave a comment!

Banish a Stereotype 2012

From the man who brought you into his van with the lure of sweets comes a short story of dizzyingly average proportions...

Jake Livermore stalked his target with menace, and, to those who knew him, relish (he usually kept it in a plastic box in case he got hungry - it was half price at the deli). The knife in his pocket was already coated in blood, but the action was only just beginning. He slithered across the ground after the man he was stalking, getting closer and closer with each passing second.

Unfortunately this story isn’t about Jake, for it was about Reece, who was on the other side of the world in America - no, that’s boring... France? Wait, that makes no sense... Mexico. That’s the one. He was edgy, but it might just have been his overly chiseled features. He handed his ticket over. The chubby woman behind the counter stared at him for a few seconds.

“Date of birth?” Uh oh.

“First of November.”

“Year?”

“Every year.” Dagger eyes from the woman, tearing him apart since... “1991”.

“Enjoy your flight,” she said angrily, ripping the stub off the ticket and handing it over roughly.

A short walk to the plane and a nervous prayer upon seeing the pilot and his co-pilot led Reece to his seat. He took out his issue of FourFourTwo but was too nervous to concentrate properly, perpetuating stereotype after stereotype and ensuring this story never rises above mediocrity.

One terrifying flight later, featuring vomit and alcohol, Reece walked unsteadily out of the plane at Cork Airport, the fictional song Second Chance by fictional band Thank God I’m Alive playing in his head. Check out was somewhat more pleasant than at the previous location, and he left the airport in one piece, but he knew he was being followed.

He quickened his stride.

The crowd that had seemed so full and boring a blink ago was now dissipating and terrifying; Reece needed to find a way out of the area and fast.

Jake was out of sight but within striking range of his target, such is the way of these crappy ‘action’ stories. I mean, come on, two days of reading rubbish buildup for a five minute fight where the hero suddenly becomes kick ass and beats everyone up on top of a boring plot that would think that it was better than it was if it had the capacity to think? Sorry. I had a muscle laxative earlier and now the keys are swimming before my eyes. I must remember to get out of the pool when using my computer.

Losing all composure, Reece broke into as good a trot as he could manage in a suit and tie, which was the equivalent of a pony trying to masturbate its way backwards up Patrick’s Street. His breath came in heavy inhalations, ragged with terror. He pushed himself harder...

Jake wielded his knife and took careful aim...

Reece threw himself to the floor, knowing the end was nigh...

Jake swung down, burying the blade deep within his target’s shoulder blades. There was an almost breathless gasp of pain before the blood soaked coughing began. Jake laughed triumphantly before pinning his victim down to ensure the kill.

“Get off!” wheezed Reece.

“Gotcha!” cried Oliver.

“Yeah I know, now get up before I get angry.”

“You really thought flying to Ireland would help you win?” asked Oliver, helping his friend up.

“It’s been done before.”

“Only by Darren and Corry.”

The en- What? What do you mean, what about Jake? I said the story wasn’t about him, didn’t I? You think he was chasing a guy coming out of an airport with security these days? Christ/Darwin’s first controversial son, you’re gullible. Anyway, safe home, a phrase which here means “I’m surprised you’re still reading at this point. You really have no standards. Wasn’t Kill Me If You Can awful? Oh yeah, I’m The Ghost. Oh yeah, all my friends are ex soldiers with access to extremely heavy weaponry. Sigh, they’ll do anything to get an extra buck these days. Then again, considering you’re still reading this, you probably enjoyed it.”