Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2015 An in-depth look: Box-to-Box Midfielder

BatiGoal

I have been analyzing some of the player roles lately and I've come to the conclusion that some roles, such as the Box-to-Box Midfielder (BBM), are a little more 'complicated' than others like say Central Midfielder (CM) role.

A player assigned CM role mainly stays in midfield to link defence with attack but the BBM on the other hand moves with the play and as the name suggests from one box to the other covering multiple positions in the process.

I've always picked a BBM that had preferably a natural or accomplished ability (altho competent works well too) in the Defensive Midfield (DM), Central Midfield (CM) and/or Attacking Midfield (AMC) positions as it simply made sense to me.

But sense alone isn't enough so I put it to the test to find out if it actually makes a difference in FMH.

The Test

I created a BBM with My Club for 4 identical saves using the same league, club, formation, tactic, players, player roles and match settings for each one. The only difference being this BBM that I would then retrain to cover one or more extra positions.

• BBM: CM (natural)
  • BBM1: CM (natural), AMC (accomplished)
  • BBM2: CM (natural), DM (accomplished)
  • BBM3: CM (natural), DM and AMC (accomplished)

Test Results

BBM covering 1 position

BBM: CM (natural)

1bbm.png

BBM covering multiple positions

BBM1: CM (natural), AMC (accomplished)

BBM1.png

BBM2: CM (natural), DM (accomplished)

BBM2.png

BBM3: CM (natural), DM and AMC (accomplished)

BBM3.png

I've run this test a couple times generating very similar results but in the first season only in order to keep the playing field in each save as level as possible as squad changes, opposition changes and player development in following seasons could influence the test results significantly.

Conclusion

Certainly in the way I play the game it makes a significant difference whether I assign the BBM role to a player that is natural/accomplished in CM only or in CM and DM or AMC or a combination of the two.

As far as the ratings go the difference is quite significant. 

Altho I'm not the biggest fan of the ratings system to be honest. I prefer looking at other stats such as team stats/performances or clean sheets and in this case goals and assists.

Still there's a fair difference between the standard BBM that covers a single position opposed to the other three BBM1, BBM2, BBM3 that cover multiple positions on the pitch.

And that 'small' difference is what only 1 player on the pitch makes. Think about the difference an Inside Forward position could make or other player roles. All those positive differences add up massively to a team performance.

But remember, this in no way means that every BBM that covers more positions is better than one that covers a single position only. An excellent CM-BBM could easily outperform a mediocre DM-CM-AMC-BBM but it just means that you can get more out of a certain player. This player then plays closer to his full potential.

And in case you enter the transfer market and are undecided on 2-3 potential BBM's on your shortlist for your squad I'd say pick the one that covers multiple positions to get the most out of him.

Maybe try it out  :)

This is a quality bit of analysing an will help a lot of people including my self find the right BBM.

I was surprised with the outcome in a way. If you was to ask me before this I would have said a player who can play DM CM and AM would have been the best player to go for an although it is still a good option the BBM2 had a better season and better attribute growth.

Great stuff BG opened my eye to looking at role in a different way

Thanks.

BBM and BBM1 came from the 1st series of tests

BBM2 and BBM3 from a 2nd series of tests.

A third series of tests generated very similar results.

Ratings wise all multiple-position BBM's are very close but the ones that are accomplished in AMC add a little more to attack in goals and assists.

Perhaps the one that's accomplished in DM adds to clean sheets. Kinda hard to tell.

Still you need the right greens in the right places but it helps if he is comfy playing a line behind and in front of him.

Thanks UKF.

I'm pretty sure not all player roles work this way for obvious reasons but I'm suspecting the Inside Forward works similarly. I often use a natural ST in his accomplished AML/R position and he delivers.

Very interesting and thanks for taking the time to go into such a detailed investigation.

The only thing I would say though, is that because of the nature of FMH statistics and ratings, this only looks at the contribution of the BBM from one end of the pitch.

Is there a difference in the number of tackles and interceptions or goals conceded also? I understand this is much more difficult to compare as these stats are not available as averages per game or over  a season.

Very interesting work Bati, I'm impressed. It's something I've never considered before and I normally sign a BBM based on stamina and if I want an attacking or defending one, you've gave me something to think about for sure.

Very interesting and thanks for taking the time to go into such a detailed investigation.

The only thing I would say though, is that because of the nature of FMH statistics and ratings, this only looks at the contribution of the BBM from one end of the pitch.

Is there a difference in the number of tackles and interceptions or goals conceded also? I understand this is much more difficult to compare as these stats are not available as averages per game or over  a season.

Thanks.

You're right it's much easier to see his direct contribution at the front end than at the back. I could manually note his/their tackles etc but that would become rather time-consuming. It's not a perfect test but I think it gives a decent indication of what a BBM involves.

An amazing article really it will help a lot of people, nice one BG.

I hope it does and that others have similar results.

Very interesting work Bati, I'm impressed. It's something I've never considered before and I normally sign a BBM based on stamina and if I want an attacking or defending one, you've gave me something to think about for sure.

Your comment led me to question my view on BBM's as you know so thanks for that ;)

Really interesting. Nice work. Have thought about expanding it to the DM and AM positions and seeing if they tackle or pass more.

It should be tested on a workable formation obviously but what I find odd is that for example some people have success playing two BBM's next to each other whereas I don't. Then one wonders how two such DM-CM-AM BBM's would perform.

So it'd be good to see other people's results with their formation and tactics.