Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2015 FMH Manager Guide: How to be a fair,strict, but good team leader.

Eliseo10

football-manager-handheld-2015.png

FMH Manager Guide: How to be a fair,strict, but good team leader.

As we all know in FMH we as the managers have tremendous responsibility bestowed upon us. We must be ready to take control of some of the most important aspects our team. It is enough to just win games, we must also be a good decision makers & tacticians, we must be able to identify and select key players and potential stars, and somehow we must also take control of our teams finances. At first glance this might seem like a terrible complicated game, but as we all know this is not completely true. In my experience playing this game I have developed a set of rules and guidelines that have made me a good manager but more importantly a good leader. The following 5 guidelines have helped me accomplish this. This is my personal way of handling players and running a team, you might not agree on all my points. But hopefully I can help new managers become great managers, and also great team leaders.

1. Give everyone a chance

sports-team-clipart-soccer_coach_clipart

So you have your starting XI selected and your subs in the bench. Most of the times, once you select the players you will be using there is still around 6 or 7 players without a place on the first or second string. These players will rarely get game time and this can lead to low harmony. You cant allow that. You must allow most if not all players a game or two to prove or disprove themselves. Sometimes a team might have a hidden gem who at first glance seems like a rather poor player. Try everyone one at least once. And if you cant do that then release/loan some the players who you wont be using out. Usually 22-25 players is more than enough to have in your team. Also give rotation to your subs in cup or less important games in continental competitions. This keeps everyone happy and ready for action.

2. Keep a compact squad

This ties in to my first advice and it in my opinion one the best things you could do. You might be tempted to have as many great players as possible, but this is not as good as it seems. For example, having Hazard, Bale, Reus, and Ocampos in your team can be a real headache because they play similar positions. There is a limited amount of games during a season, and sometimes players will complain if they are not playing enough. A player who is not happy usually has a performance decrease and this can affect your overall teams success. My advice for you is to keep two players for each position and a few extra backups in your team. No sense in having 40 superstars if you wont be using them all.

3. Dont allow insubordination

soccer_coach_mug.jpg?color=White&height=

Sometimes even when a player has plenty of game time, a rather large wage contract, and generally living the dream, it will not be enough. He will complain about his game time, will want new contracts, or maybe stupidly declare that he wishes "to move to a bigger club to advance his career". Usually when the later happens, other players in the team will start hating him and this dramatically lowers team harmony. When this happen be very strict and have no compassion. If he complains about game time and you know he does not deserve it, demote him. If he wants a new contract, offer it to him once or twice, if he continues with his greedy ways demote and then sell him. If he wants to move to a bigger club analyze his value to your squad. If he is good, try to reason with him.($$$$) If he is good but not essential then simply let him go. A player who does not want to play for you is in my opinion worthless. But again analyze the situation and make an informed decision. This advice might seem harsh but you have to look out for whats best for the team. and no player is above the team.

4. Monitor individual player morale

It wont always be superb. If you see a player who performed bad but you know is valuable to a team, talk to him. Sometimes that little praise from his manager is all he needs to be a total monster the next game. If the media criticizes him, defend your player. If the media praises him, build up on that praise. Dont allow him to stay in poor or very poor for too long and by the same token don't overwhelm him with praise. This can often backfire so always try to keep a balance. Also take this little advice: right before a big game check the morale of your starting 11. Try to make sure most or all of them are on superb. This can sometimes give you and edge over tough opposition and win you that game! Try it out.

5. Give older players due respect, and allow younger players to develop

bsc28.gif

The over the age of 30 dilemma and the wonder kid frenzy. You see a player is getting old and you bench him for that young star or worse you sell him. Try not to do this. Again you must find a balance. It all depends on the squad but generally I like to do this:

Older players in the back, younger players in the front.

You will always need good trustworthy goalkeepers and defenders. With age comes experience, so usually older defenders are among the best you can have. In the midfield you can use who ever is best, usually a combination of young and old players. Same applies for the forward line. You also have to give the younger guns a chance. I usually use young strikers at the front because it is more easy for them to succeed in that position. It is also a less critical task. If a defender fails, it ends up in a goal against. If a striker fails, then you miss a chance but more than likely you will have more and things will turn up. Balance is key, and rotation is your biggest tool. Use them both.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed my little guidelines. Again it is my personal way of doing things. You can modify these as you see fit or only use a few. I hope I at least could help you a bit.

Good Luck and Good Gaming

Thanks for the positive comments. and yes Dec you are right. But I felt the article was too long all ready and I didn't want to make it un readable.

Some good advice there, Eliseo.

There's only a few times I've criticized my own player at the press conf. but generally I do like you.

Good work.

Top work :)

But yeah I like criticizing my players and if they bother me I also destroy their career just for fun :P by moving them to reserves.

Some great advice in here :)

I'd also reccomend keeping an eye on your player status screens, as not all negative statuses show up with the telltale '!'

Statuses such as 'Slacking' (which anyone who has signed the Ibrahimovic evogen will know all about!) can be resolved by talking to the player (positive or negative depending on recent form)

'Slightly tired' players should be given a break from playing for a couple of games.

'Struggling to settle into the team' can be remedied by signing another player from his home country or by signing his 'favourite person' (if he's a player)

There's a few others as well if anyone can think of them. :)

@Dutch Thank you man!

@Sam thank you for reading!

@ Lost legend I have received so many ideas that could have gone into the list that I'm thinking of making another article so this one doesn't get to big. Thank you for your suggestions.

@Arco lol destroy their career!

@Bati thanks man really appreciate your feedback.

On 10 April 2015 16:05:27, LostLegend said:

Struggling to settle into the team' can be remedied by signing another player from his home country or by signing his 'favourite person' (if he's a player)

I'd have thought that's better advice for the homesickness that crops up from time to time. I tend to deal with struggling to settle in, but bringing them on for the last 30/15mins at first and waiting a few games before they start.