Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2015 Wayne Rooney - Striker Or Midfielder?

Ashez

Wayne Rooney - Striker Or Midfielder?

One of the Premier Leagues major talking points in recent years has revolved around Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney. The debate about Rooney dropping into midfield has gone on for years but with current manager Louis Van Gaal playing him there frequently in the 2014/15 season I believe he will be seen as accomplished in that role come 2016. 

2j9RC5b.png

If Rooney does indeed earn this new position where should you play him? The reason I've decided to look into this now is because I feel the time is right for the English striker to play in the MC position more often. My reasoning for this is United have recently sold off a number of strikers while only bringing in the young Frenchman Martial for a staggering £36 million! With such a high price and rawness the need for him to develop is clear to see and Rooney can't be seen to hinder this. Another reason why I believe this might be happening is due to the central midfield LVG has built this summer as he's brought in a number of balanced or defensive minded midfielders, while the "moving on" of more creative players like Januzaj and Cleverly enhances the point. With Herrera and Mata being the only attacking/creative players left in the midfield area combined with the natural covering players brought into the club in this window it could be time for Rooney to drop deep more often. With players like Carrick and Schneiderlin holding the midfield and Rooney operating as the creative link it will allow United to play an attacking three consisting of Mata, Depay and Martial while also having Rooney's goal threat and experience in behind and the option of interchanging. 

pa9lHLE.png

In real life dropping deep has always been a feature of Rooney's game as has creating goals for team mates which is shown by SI giving him the Trequartista role as his preferred job for the team but could he translate this into being an advanced playmaker? Let's see what FMH has to say on the matter. To do this I will be using Dec's stats for position guide (with the addition of shooting). 

Striker Stats

Creativity - 18/20

Decisions - 16/20
Movement - 19/20
Shooting - 19/20

In the key attribute list for the Treq position Rooney scores an outstanding 72/80! For a reference Messi scores an incredible 80/80 in these stats! 

Dribbling - 14/20
Passing - 17/20
Technique - 16/20
Teamwork 17/20
Stamina 15/20

In the secondary attributes the England goal scorer earns 79/100. Rooney finds himself closer to Messi this time but the Argentinean superstar comes out on top with 83/100.

Midfielder Stats

Passing - 17/20
Creativity - 18/20
Decisions - 16/20
Teamwork - 17/20

In the key attribute list for the APM position Rooney scores a respectable 68/80. If you do the same check on Barcelona's Iniesta you'll discover his stats earn him the total of 72/80, not much in it at all. 

Technique - 16/20
Movement - 19/20
Shooting - 19/20
Positioning - 10/20
Dribbling - 14/20

In the secondary attributes the England goal scorer earns 78/100. Close again as Iniesta's total in these stats is 80/100. 

Totals For Rooney:

Striker - 151/180 -
Messi - 163/180
Midfielder - 146/180
Iniesta - 152/180

The results are extremely tight but we can see clearly that based on the stats Rooney can offer five percent more as a striker based on the primary stats selected while having a   one percent difference in the secondary attributes. It's also extremely interesting to see how close Rooney is to the totals of the two best players in each position, both Barcelona players are better but there isn't much in it, however it appears Rooney is closer to being one of the best APM's compared to strikers. 

What does this mean in game though? Well firstly it is worth remembering that this is based on a day one version of 2015 Rooney where he's uncomfortable in midfield and if he does indeed become accomplished there on 2016 I see him gaining higher midfield attributes which would effect the discussion. However looking at it with the way it is now I'd certainly consider slotting Wayne Rooney into my midfield instead of my attack because he's clearly got the ability and cover available to play the role and while he's deep he won't be hindering Depay and Martial who I predict to be two of the highest rated kids on the game, remember only game time increases a players current ability. 

That's my views and opinions on this interesting subject so please get involved in the discussion by positing your views and opinions on the possibility of Wayne Rooney running the show from midfield. 

Thank you for viewing and pleas remember to leave a comment.

If it works, then will definitely strengthen them. Rooney on paper offers a lot more than their other options. And at 36 million, LVG obviously considers Martial as ready to take the next step.

But they already lack depth in the striker position (Rooney is their only senior player there) so will be a big risk making Martial their goto man - at least initially. Plus means their midfield suddenly starts looking very old, putting a lot of pressure on Schneiderlein.

He lost his striking touch. He do not get enough support or get the ball when he is playing Striker. That's why he's always been going out of position in real life for the ball.

@phila Very true as it would be a big ask for Martial to lead the line but unless they sign someone today he'll have to.

@HashtagTatica Can't say I blame you :P

@JustM1kePlays I was very surprised to see stat wise he's very close to Iniesta, in theory he should do an excellent job in midfield. 

@AventzgerYT I agree, he seems to have lost that spark and is almost trying too hard and dropping too deep. As he's never had pace as such and the fact he drops deep makes him easier to mark as he compacts play and doesn't stretch it. With him in midfield and pacey players like Depay and Martial it could be dangerous, look at the old three up top with CR7 and Tevez.