Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Nintendo

Ashez

Just grabbed this for £14 so I'll finally have a decent D-Pad with my Snes controllers :D. I mentioned getting it when they announced Snes games but I never got around to it but I saw it as a lightning deal so why not 

Screenshot_2019-11-29-10-59-32.thumb.png.d8385e8416b4b2ee3574ed6f5f6dbc2b.png

No signs of Labo VR sales yet but the Labo car kit or whatever it is is also £15, I wanna try Labo out but it's the VR set that has my interest the most. 

No new decent game deals though :(

5 minutes ago, Ashez said:

It'll be £20-25 in no time 😂

If it had a demo before I bought it, I’d have been happy to spend £37 for a physical version tbf. 

2 hours ago, Nucleus said:

If it had a demo before I bought it, I’d have been happy to spend £37 for a physical version tbf. 

I'm just not convinced I'll like it so I'm reluctant to risk £40 on such an old game. 

The only big open world games I've played are BOTW, various GTA's and Red Dead which aren't that similar, it's the first person view that also really puts me off. Like I look at the Witcher and I think it looks awesome, yet Skyrim I hesitate and it's all the view point. I know you can play third person but I've read it's janky

30 minutes ago, Rob said:

Two weeks and we will have moved house and I will be able to join you boys in some Xmas Ninty playing.

Stressful time to be moving house, just before Xmas and that 😯

We moved two years ago the first week of December and it was a nightmare, especially as we had bad snow that year. 

Seeing US deals that are depressing me lol, the US has Lion King and Aladdin for $15! 

Seen Yooka dropped to £21 on Amazon but I can't say I'm that tempted. 

My missus is pregnant too. We are the middle of a three house chain, so it Is not as stressful as it could be, even if it is very stressful itself. I can only imagine how bad it must be if you were part several houses in a chain.

I didn’t notice Yooka Ash. I may dial in to that.

Here is a question for you guys then: what video game do you most associate with Christmas? Mine is Donkey Kong Country 3. 

13 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Seeing US deals that are depressing me lol, the US has Lion King and Aladdin for $15! 

I saw that! Sold out in most places though! Sales must be amazing on that tbf

Only 8 copies of Witcher 3 left on Amazon UK for now 😯 I’m so happy that’s sold well. Could open the gates to so many more great games on the system

3 hours ago, Rob said:

My missus is pregnant too.

Congratulations!

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Here is a question for you guys then: what video game do you most associate with Christmas? Mine is Donkey Kong Country 3. 

Hmm none comes instantly to mind but I'll think about it. 

3 hours ago, Nucleus said:

Only 8 copies of Witcher 3 left on Amazon UK for now 😯 I’m so happy that’s sold well. Could open the gates to so many more great games on the system

I think it sold well in general but this can't have hurt

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Weirdly, the first one that came to mond was the original Doom game 😂 It’s the furthest Christmas back I can remember and my Mam bought me and my big brother a PlayStation one for Xmas to share and Doom came with it too. We spent hours playing it that day. Terrible game if I’m being honest, never got into the series at all

16 minutes ago, Ashez said:

think it sold well in general but this can't have hurt

Haven’t looked at the sales tbh, but yeah, can’t have hurt one bit!

The only games I remember getting at Xmas are GoldenEye Rogue Agent and The Getaway Black Monday on the same year, I remember enjoying The Getaway but that's about it. 

I got a PS3 for Xmas but I don't recall what I got with it, I think it was just one of the yearly WWE games and a Fifa. 

The other year i played Batman Arkham Origins over Xmas but that was mainly because it's set on Christmas Eve. 

I must have got various games from my childhood at Xmas but they just aren't linked to the holiday in my mind. I do have two memories of games I got for Easter though which is even more bizarre

4 hours ago, Rob said:

Mine is the Mario 1 and Duck Hunt double header that came with the N.E.S console plus the required gun that my brother got one Christmas. I’ve played much better games obviously but those early memories are hard to shift.

As for birthdays, for some reason, the first one that springs to mind is True Crime: Streets of LA 😂 , birthday gift for my 14th and we’d literally just moved house a few days prior so that’s how I always remember I guess

Edited by Nucleus

What I've Been Playing 

November

A short update this month as I've basically been absorbed into Pokemon which I've yet to finish, I do have a few decent pick ups though!

Switch 

Fear Effect Sedna - This is one of the worst games I've ever attempted to play, I looked into it heavily before using my expiring gold coins on it months ago and everything screamed it was a bad game, however I couldn't help but think it looked fun so I took a chance on it, you know the so bad it's good type of game. The one thing that gave me hope to try it was I thought it looked fun and every bad review mentioned how different it was to the previous two games in the series so I thought as someone who hasn't played those I could ignore the new style and enjoy what was on offer. Unfortunately this game is just awful as the voice acting is one note and they sound disinterested, the visuals are comicy/cell shaded yet still look cheap, the story is confusing as hell jumping around, the writing is like a 14 year olds fan fiction and it's just all bad. However a game can have those flaws and be saved by it's gameplay but I'm sorry to say that's also a broken mess and just unsatisfying. The game is in limbo trying to be a strategy game yet relies on action and it just doesn't hold up, for example you can pause the game to set up attacks yet it's fiddly and unpausing is delayed so most of the time enemies will get an attack off while you lag, and let's just say you aren't a bullet sponge as 2-3 hits and it's gameover while you need to pump enemies with bullets to kill them. There are also puzzle elements but those were one thing all reviews mentioned as frustrating so I did use a guide for those just in an attempt to find enjoyment in the title, without a guide I'd have quit alot earlier as while the puzzles were decent they were time wasting bullshit puzzles about finding the right obscure clues in the environment. Anyway I gave up on the game at the end of Chapter 3 (out of 7) after wasting around a hour on an incredibly broken boss fight, the idea of the fight is to simply dodge attacks and shoot the robot, however he's almost too quick to out run, it has too much health and multiple phases, his attack hit boxes are broken as all hell and when you get him to half health he spawns these spirits which you need to enter the tactical menu to kill quickly, yet when you un-pause 9/10 you'll be hit and likely killed before you can act. I'm sure it's possible tbf but I've wasted enough time on this absolute garbage, especially as I can only see it getting worse. Avoid at all costs! 

Tetris 99 - I returned for the Pokemon skin event which took 45 mins to win, I was fairly rusty but I mostly finished in the top 50 with my best finish being 8th. I think there was another skin, Luigi perhaps I missed last month but oh well. 

Pokemon Shield - I'm 36 hours in but I'm yet to beat the game so I'm mainly going to hold off until I'm done with it to go into massive detail. I will say though I'm in love with this game, admittedly it's nothing new and if you've played a modern Pokemon game before you've played this, however there is something extremely charming and nostalgic about that, this is my type of comfort food game. The key new feature is the wild area and it's simply addictive and awesome, basically it's one area where loads of Pokemon can be found and with each badge more Pokemon appear. It is also weather and time dependant so every time you go there there is something new to find, it's just incredibly addictive. I've currently got 6 badges and 270/400 Pokemon caught, I had no intention to go for another living dex but I'm so engrossed in this game I can't help myself. The second new feature is Dynamax and raid battles which I thought I'd have no interest in yet to my surprise they're incredibly cool and fun to mess around with. While I'm a fair way away from getting into competitive Pokemon on this save I have to say I love the changes they've made to EV training and breeding as it's all more approachable now and alot less of a time sink, once I beat the league I'm actually excited to build a competitive team, to try out the battle tower, to may be try online and to shiny hunt. I've alot left to achieve in this game, I just adore it as a Pokemon game. It has flaws which I'll get into next time but all in all I'm having a blast with this title. 

Demo's 

Ori & The Blind Forest Demo - Fuck me sideways I'd heard this game was incredible but I wasn't prepared for how awesome that demo was, I need to play this game! The story is gripping and heart wrenching like a good Pixar movie, the graphics are incredible , the controls are tight (enough), the movement is extremely fun and just every clicks, admittedly the combat is a tad weak but this game looks and feels special after playing that demo. I'm going to look into and hopefully wait for a physical release, if not I'll be picking this up regardless at some point as I need to see more. Highly recommended. Anyway for those unaware this is a Xbox Game Studio's Metroidvania which has came to Switch with great fanfare and I see why! Game Of The Year

Spoiler

New Releases

1. Fire Emblem Three Houses 
2. Pokemon Shield
3. TLOZ Link's Awakening
4. Tetris 99
5. Reigns Game Of Thrones

Not Pokemon's final place as yet. 

First Time Played This Year

1. Starlink Battle For Atlus
2. Mario + Rabbids Donkey Kong Adventure
3. In Between 
4. The Way Remastered 
5. Super Mario Party

Recent Pick Ups

007 GoldenEye - N64 - £6 - I've been after GoldenEye on the N64 ever since I set up the console again, like most of my N64 games I think my older step brother took them never to be seen again. I knew our local Cex had multiple copies at a good price so it was just bothering to go collect it tbh as getting it at a better price isn't really likely, it's just not a shop I frequent often and when I do the que and smell usually means I don't hang around lol. Obviously GoldenEye is an absolute classic that pushed multiplayer and FPS's on consoles massively at the time of it's release, I've spent hundreds of hours in this title as a kid so having it back in my collection makes me so happy! 

Diddy Kong Racing - N64 - £8 - Diddy Kong Racing is similar to GoldenEye in the fact it's one of my favourite childhood games, seeing this in stock was the reason for the trip to Cex as for £8 it was a no brainer. DKR is my favourite racing game on the system, yes I love the N64 Mario Kart but DKR was the one I always preferred, it's one series from my childhood I wish would return and rival Mario Kart. Unfortunately however I discovered I can't actually play this currently on the actual hardware as it turns out my memory pack is knackered and this won't even start without one, sigh the fun of retro gaming lol. So a new N64 memory pack is now on the agenda but who knows when I'll get around to that. 

Pokemon Shield - Switch - £45 - I was always picking this bad boy up 😂

Steamworld Quest Hand of Gilgamech - Switch - £33 - I said I wouldn't get involved in limited game releases as they're typically expensive and by companies outside of the UK, however Super Rare released the latest game in the SteamWorld franchise and I just couldn't ignore it, especially as £33 including shipping (UK based) isn't bad, when you think if it had a normal release it would have been around that price but instead I got one of only 7000 copies, not having to deal with massive shipping and import fees basically sweetened the pot. It's no secret I love the SteamWorld games (Dig 1+2 and Heist) and I have the others physically so I just needed to have this one, I'd have been annoyed if I didn't grab it like I am with missing Yooka-Laylee. Any way this is a card based RPG based in the Steamworld franchise (they swap genre alot) and it reviewed very well so it felt very much worth the risk. 

Bloodstained Ritual Of The Night - Switch - £20 - I saw this was available for £19.99 at Game for Black Friday so I basically went straight to town and grabbed it. As you know I'm a massive Metroidvania fan but I've never actually played a Castlevania game of that style (I've only played Super Castlevania 4), and as this is by the same bloke and a spiritual success to the Metroidvania Castlevania's I've had my eye on it for a while. However the Switch release was an utter mess at launch which massively put me off, thankfully they've now patched the game and it seems to run fine so with that news and a price drop I jumped in right away, it would be rude not to! Every other port of the title was extremely well received so it's another game I'm delighted to have in the collection. 

Justice League Heroes - DS - £2.49 - Some of you might remember I played a GBA game called "Justice League Heroes The Flash" a few months back and this DS title is it's sequel. I've been after it for a while as one of my collection aims is to have all the DC Comic's Nintendo games, anyway I eventually got it for an excellent price (99p + shipping) so I look forward to playing it, I actually know very little about it tbf. 

Anyone interested in a games of the decade list? One a year type thing? Let me know haha

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

Anyone interested in a games of the decade list? One a year type thing? Let me know haha

I’ll show mine if you show me yours 😛

This is so cool, I'll do mine and share it here when I can 

@Nucleus Games of the decade is decided, I just need to write it. 

Monthly update will likely be late due to holidays