Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Nintendo

Ashez

I've recently been playing Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. It's fun considering it's such an old game. Multiplayer is annoying as I prefer the game mode "team free for all" but most lobbies are empty and people play just standard free for all. Also bought FM20 Touch but I've just bought FMM20 mainly because I like to see teams real badges and player faces.

Hope you are all well.

Edited by Westside
20 hours ago, Rob said:

Wow that looks kinda fascinating.

It'll likely be trash but a "Mario sports title" like WWE game looks intriguing for sure!

On 28/04/2020 at 11:04, Ashez said:

No consoles announced yet but this looks more interesting than the other 2K WWE games imo @Rob

Idk. But hate is real for what I'm seeing and reading. I miss the old wrestling games. The first raw vs smackdown was awesome 

What I've Been Playing 

April

Switch 

Animal Crossing New Horizons -  Before I begin I need to say on paper this game sounds horrendous, I fully understand that. I've tried to  explain Animal Crossing to multiple people this month and every one of them has looked at me like I'm an idiot. The game sounds awful on every level yet there is something so engaging and captivating about it that it's easy for it to become an obsession! I'm over 50 hours deep into this title yet I told @zaangie 20 hours ago I was done yet I've still played it every day! Since I've had it I've gone only one day without playing it! I can be sitting there playing it and start to actually question wtf I'm doing with my life yet the next day I'm gagging to play it again, like genuinely being excited to get home from work to play it, lads it's a wild situation. So what is Animal Crossing (AC from now on)? That's the million dollar question as even after 50 hours I'm still not entirely sure, I think in many ways Animal Crossing can be whatever you want it to be. At its core it's an island simulator where you develop the island with shops and homes while inviting villagers to join your community, to do this you basically have to grind. Grinding is a big aspect of AC as you need to grind money to buy things ranging from furniture to bridges while you also have to grind resources for crafting. It's your typical crafting type of stuff where you'll need to collect items like wood and iron which you'll turn into  decorations, furniture or useful tools like spades and fishing rods. I was unfortunate as I started playing during the Easter Event which basically crippled the drop rates of certain items which nearly saw me drop the game early, however once the event ended I found resource gathering alot less frustrating. Anyway apart from grinding building materials you can also collect fish via swimming, dig up fossils, buy art or catch bugs with your net and this aspect of the game was when it began to click for me as I really got into it, you see early on your island will open a museum and it's your job to fill it with exhibits, you need to find and donate the local wildlife where it'll go on display in a awesome looking museum, seriously the first time I walked into the museum I was in awe at how cool it all looked. However if you end up farming creatures that have already been donated you can sell them to raise funds, this is one of the many ways to make cash which are called Bells. Basically you can sell anything you find or make during your time exploring the island but then there is the big money maker....The Turnips. The turnips blew my mind when I first heard about them as it's utterly stupid yet amazing at the same time, so on a Sunday morning you'll get a visitor who sells Turnips, usually for around 100 Bells. Then from Monday to Saturday your island shop will purchase Turnips for a random amount with the price changing twice a day, this my friends is the Turnip Stock Market where you aim to buy low and sell high! The beauty of this feature is the sense of community it created as you can buy/sell on other people's islands so everyone was interacting trying to find the best price, my best so far was buying for 106 and selling for 608, as you can see this is an excellent way to make quick bells but it is a risk and trying to find a good selling price can be a time sink. Money however is what makes the world go around so having as much as possible on AC opens doors for you as everything is expensive, for example building a basic bridge or ramp will cost you 100k+. The aspect that sucks you in every single day however is the fact AC runs on a real life clock and calender, it's almost like a mobile game where if you want to build a bridge you'll have to wait a day for it to be built, this feature is infuriating if you're trying to rush through but if you play as intended and go day by day it's a real hook to drag you back to see what's changed each day. Especially as each day your island will have a random visitor appear who will bring their open perks, for example one will buy bugs for more than the shop, one sells clothes, another bushes and so on so every day it's always worth popping in to see what's occurring on your island. That's not all though as the game has already seen regular updates with various events like an Easter egg hunt, Earth/Nature Day stuff and most recently a May Day event so the game is basically ever changing, like every time you turn it on you'll have something different to do.That's a very brief and basic outline of the game but what's the point of it all? Well surprisingly the game does have a story and two main goals, obviously the game is endless but the two goals are clear targets which you should aim to hit. The first goal is to improve the island enough to attract a famous singing villager to perform on your island, you might of heard of him as he goes by the name K.K. Slider. However it's not easy to get this singing pooches attention as it's around a 40 hour quest to get him to appear, which basically sees you complete a tick list of tasks given to you by Tom Nook. After KK's performance the credits actually roll but you've only really beaten the tutorial as after this point the game becomes endless and this is when you unlock the real cool island terraforming tools. These tools allow you to add paths and change any cliffs and rivers of your island to your liking. Now the point of the game is essentially to fully decorate your island and make your own paradise in hopes of receiving a 5 star rating. For example I've built an orchard, a play park, a market and currently working on my campsite yet I've still only got a 3 star rating. The one aspect of the game I've found disappointing has to be the villagers themselves as I've found them pretty pointless, they're around and give a sense of people living on your island but their dialog repeats pretty often and i just don't find them interesting to interact with, the guests villagers are alot more interesting though as I actually see why Blathers and Tom Nook are so loved, not so much Isabel though. All in all Animal Crossing is one weird game, I wouldn't say I'm now a fan of the series but I'm enjoying myself, I've actually tried to stay away from it but I can't, I'm finding it the perfect chill game as I can play it for ten minutes or four hours, it's just relaxing and easy to play. With the constant updates I'm sure this will be a cartridge that stays in my console for a long time and I'm as surprised as that as anyone, I got it fully expecting to not like it or see it's point but it's wrapped me in its spell. I know it sounds awful but there is something about it. 

Pokemon Shield - It dragged me back in due to the Easter breeding event where I managed to capture a few 5IV Ditto's. I had hoped for a 6IV one but they're incredibly rare and finding any at all is time consuming (3 took me around 90mins). I also grabbed a couple 5IV G-Max Charizard's as why not. 

Devil May Cry - I decided it was time to crack open my Japanese copy of the Devil May Cry trilogy as I started the first game. I've said before how I love this series and the memories came flooding back as I had an absolute blasts replaying this gem, so much in fact I played through it twice back to back! You see I started playing it on normal which is the default mode, however i game overed a fair few levels in and unlocked easy mode, unfortunately like a complete idiot I hadn't saved my progress so I had no save to load once I game overed to the load screen, as I'd played a decent amount I decided to just fly through the game on easy. I completed the game on easy and while I had a blast it was extremely unsatisfying so I started again on normal and beat the game again on it's intended difficulty. I can't remember the last game I did this with but DMC should be a decently challenging game so I wanted that experience, tbh I never found normal that difficult as it was only really the third Nightmare level and the final boss that gave me real trouble but I hate that Nightmare boss with a passion anyway, I always have. I've not replayed this title in full since the PS2 days but once i got into the flow I remembered basically everything, don't get me wrong it's a pretty linear game but I still remembered most the puzzle solutions and most hidden items. Anyway for those unaware in DMC you play as Dante who is a demon slaying bounty hunter and the son of the legendary dark knight Sparda, one night a mysterious woman called Trish informs you that a big demon called Mundus is planning a return so you head to his castle in hopes of getting revenge on the demon you expect killed your mother and brother. The story and lore is lacking but it does a serviceable job, especially as the few cut scenes are all awesome, this game is just full of badass moments, it's no surprise this game blew me away as a kid, especially as it was one of my first mature rated games. I'd have been 10 when it first released but I'm not sure when I actually got this game, I know i got it due to my older cousin having it though and it blowing me away. Unfortunately the game is a tad dated with its camera especially being an annoyance as the game started off as a Resident Evil title but it became so unique it spun off into its own franchise but it still kept the old school fixed camera design, it might work in a horror title but in an action platformer beat em up type game it can be infuriating. All in all I'm delighted I returned to this game and like Lion King it's one I'll return to frequently now it's on a system I use, just owning this makes me stupidly happy and thankfully I have two sequels to go! 

Devil May Cry 2 - Dante + Lucia Routes - For those unaware DMC2 was a PS2 release that featured two playable characters and two discs, on one you continued to play as Dante and the other you played as a new character Lucia. The story is pretty similar in both routes but Lucia's story does get some more lore and reasoning compared to Dante who is just there for the sake of being there. As you can tell the story in this game is completely lacking and the Dante stuff especially is just awful, his story makes next to no sense and just sees him jump point to point, worst of all however is he's lost all his bad ass moments and the charisma that made Dante Dante. You see Capcom basically started working on DMC2 behind the original teams back and it shows as the team that made this simply didn't understand what made DMC1 work. I had fond memories of this title and seeing all the hate and backlash it received over the years always confused me, however now I've revisited it all I can say is DMC2 is a boring, easy, 5 hour slog, yes at 5 odd hours it's still a slog! That's how bad this game is. The levels are too big and empty unlike the claustrophobic castle of the first game, the combat is mindless with the range weapons making swords next to worthless and the game just feels slow as the enemies have no aggression. They decided to change the combat upgrade method as in the first game you unlocked new attacks, but DMC2 uses an individual weapon upgrade system which is less exciting and means you experiment less. There are also hardly any puzzles as it's just run A to B killing as you go, the bosses are too frequent and completely unremarkable or memorable as well. A nothing story, dull level design, mindless combat, much easier difficulty, lack of puzzles, lack of personality and meh bosses just makes a bad experience, this is the most disappointed I've been returning to one my childhood favourites ever I think, nostalgia did me dirty as DMC2 is just not fun. However I won't be completely negative as I love Dante's older design in this game while I do actually like the Lucia portion, it's still bad but her speed and agility make it more playable than Dante's slog, but it does help she has alot less levels than Dante. This game also implemented alot of awesome movement options but it's in DMC3 where I'll actually enjoy them. Speaking of DMC3 I don't think I'll be jumping into that any time soon as it wasn't that long ago I last played it. 

Minecraft - I got a message one night featuring images and videos of my 3 year old nephew playing Minecraft by himself and building his first house, I was so proud and excited by this development I jumped online and played with him. Easily one of my favourite gaming moments and the first time in years I've been grateful for online gaming and cross system play, especially in such times where I can't spend time with family face to face due to this bloody virus. Hopefully it was the first of many a hour gaming with the little dude. 

Game Of The Year

New Releases

1. Animal Crossing New Horizons

First Time Played This Year

1. Dragon Quest XIs
2. Steamworld Quest Hand of Gilgamech
3. Poi! Explorers Edition 
4. Aladdin

Recent Pick Ups

Sphinx Curse Of The Mommy - Switch - £10 - Sphinx is a game I've wanted for years as I've been after a copy of the GameCube version for ages but I never came across one, however once the Switch port was announced my attention switched to grabbing that version. It usually hovers around the £20-25 mark for a physical copy on Switch (£12 on GameCube) which is right in my impulse buying range but every single time I went to order it something else would go on sale and get priority. It turns out waiting was the right thing to do though as I managed to grab a copy for just £10 over the Easter holidays. As for the game itself it's a 3D platforming Zelda type experience with some interesting gimmicks which looks exactly my type of game. 

Legend Of Kay Anniversary - Switch - £9 - Like Sphinx the Legend Of Kay is a 3D PS2 era combat focused platformer so for £9 it's a no brainer. Admittedly the reviews for it range drastically and I don't expect it to be spectacular or anything but it's a mascot platformer where you play as a ninja cat, what more do you want in a game! Like the others mentioned today Kay is one I've had my eye on for a while (since its WiiU release) so for this price it wasn't worth hesitating on. As I've said before this type of game is a rare thing now a days so when I see a cheap game in this style I'll always want to add it to my collection, I think my love in with Poi! Last month also massively influenced these purchases. 

Yugioh Legacy Of The Duelist - Switch - £20 - Yugioh is another Switch title I've wanted for a number of months now and it finally hit the sweet spot of £20, historically I've owned two (three if you count Duel Links) Yugioh games  and I've always sunk time into them, I grew up when card games were big business (mainly due to Pokemon) but playing wise it was Yugioh that I got in to, but more in a digital than physical capacity. I got into Yugioh so much due to the anime actually being good compared to the boring and safe Pokemon one which is what made this game really appeal, you see the story mode in Legacy Of The Duelist follows the main story arcs of the anime, so I believe the first set of missions are based on Battle Kingdom and Pegasus and so on. Unfortunately I've not watched all of the anime so I'll get to the point where I don't know the characters or what's going on but hopefully the game still holds my interest at that point, which I think it will as I enjoy Yugioh as the base of the game. Another reason for wanting to wait for the game to be £20 is because like most Yugioh games it comes with 3 exclusive playing cards which I have no use for and at the last time of viewing they sell for around £10-15 for the set, so once it's safe and responsible to do so I'll hopefully flip them and get most my money back.  

Animal Crossing New Horizons - Switch - £40 - This game was absolutely every where apart from store shelves but we had one copy left one night at work which tempted me but I held off at first. However everywhere I looked the Animal Crossing hype was all consuming with my Twitter, YouTube and Podcast feeds all talking about this bloody game and after a second overtime night and the 4th podcast singing it's praises I decided to grab the final one off the shelf and see what all the bloody fuss was about and I can't say I regret that decision like I thought I would. 

I just can't get into AC myself. @Ashez Granted, I've not really been able to get on as my missus has over a 100 hours on there but when I have played I just get bored easily but that could be because I haven't worked out what to do. I know you can go fishing etc. But for me it's not captivating for me. 

As for Pokémon do you have the latest DLC? I haven't played for a few months now and I'm not sure if it's worth paying for it considering the game is already £50. In regards to a Ditto I was lucky a friend of mine traded me a 6IV one for breeding. 

As for Yu-Gi-Oh I was looking at that a few months back while watching through the series on Netflix and playing Duel Links. I might give it a go.

Edited by Westside
1 hour ago, Westside said:

I just can't get into AC myself.

I really didn't expect to

I just get bored easily but that could be because I haven't worked out what to do.

Yeah I think you need to get into the daily gameplay loop and have a plan to get invested. It took a couple of days for it to click with me, once the daily loop had me in its grasps I knew I was in trouble but I still don't have a plan as such. I do rather enjoy just chilling bug catching or finishing though but like I said the museum aspect is what caught my attention the most, alot more than the designer aspects anyway. 

As for Pokémon do you have the latest DLC?

No, it releases next month right? I'll definitely get it I just dunno if I will straight away. I've a living dex so they've got me by the balls as I need the new Pokemon lol. I'm mildly excited for it tbf. 

As for Yu-Gi-Oh I was looking at that a few months back while watching through the series on Netflix and playing Duel Links. I might give it a go.

Yeah I've watched it since it released, or I was going to get it on release but I held off as reviews were mixed so I waited for a discount, £20 is a good price imo. I was really into DL's then though so it felt daft buying another Yugioh game, but I drop in and out of DLs. I'll be addicted for months then not touch it for months  

32 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

You dragged me here to read a 90% AC review, that I’ve heard all month anyway 😲 lowbow man, lowblow 

10% of new content is a decent amount tbf

Yeah, you're right @Ashez. The DLC does release next month. I thought it was already out as I noticed my friends have been playing Pokemon again lately after taking a long break.

What have you been playing lately @zaangie?

Edited by Mikey
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Yeah, you're right @Ashez. The DLC does release next month. I thought it was already out as I noticed my friends have been playing Pokemon again lately after taking a long break.

The last two events have been really good tbf so possibly because of that. I dunno if I'll get the DLC at release or not, it depends what I'm playing at the time I guess. Xenoblade kinda tempts me this month you see. 

I got my kids a Switch last Christmas but the only games I have played on it is pretty much all the Mario games and The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening and Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King . Did by my son Pokémon Shield. I might give this ago soon. TBH he has got a load of games. I might have to venture in to some to see what I think.

30 minutes ago, JustM1kePlays said:

I got my kids a Switch last Christmas but the only games I have played on it is pretty much all the Mario games and The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening and Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King . Did by my son Pokémon Shield. I might give this ago soon. TBH he has got a load of games. I might have to venture in to some to see what I think.

It would be rude not too 😂

Say what he's got you've not played and I'll see if I can recommend any :)

1 minute ago, Ashez said:

It would be rude not too 😂

Say what he's got you've not played and I'll see if I can recommend any :)

Cheers Ash, Here is what I can remember. I know most are kid friendly games. I might have to look in to getting myself something.

Luigi's Mansion 3 

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Super Mario Odyssey

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!

Super Mario Party

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

Super Mario Maker 2

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Dragon Quest Builders

Layton's Mystery Journey

That's all I can remember.

28 minutes ago, JustM1kePlays said:

I know most are kid friendly games.

Most Nintendo games are, blood and violence doesn't only make good games lol

29 minutes ago, JustM1kePlays said:

Luigi's Mansion 3 

Not played, I didn't like the 2nd so didn't bother with third.  

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Super Mario Odyssey

Top tier! Odyssey is worth doing the lot as the post game is awesome

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!

Not played but it does tempt me now and then. The nostalgia factor draws me in but the Go stuff massively puts me off.  

Super Mario Party

Played alot of this with the family but dropped off it once we got bored of the maps

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

Played it on WiiU so not bought it again but it's a good game

Super Mario Maker 2

Not played, I didn't play the first enough to warrant the sequel. Unlimited Mario levels sounds awesome, until you release 95% of the fan base can't make fun levels 😂

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

I absolutely adored this game, highly recommended but it's a challenge. I'm hopeful we get a sequel soon. 

31 minutes ago, JustM1kePlays said:

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Not played outside of the demo, I'm not really into puzzle games. 

31 minutes ago, JustM1kePlays said:

Dragon Quest Builders

Fantastic game, Minecraft but with a good story. It has issued but I really enjoyed it, the sequel is on my wish list. 

32 minutes ago, JustM1kePlays said:

Layton's Mystery Journey

Not played, Layton just never interested me. 

The obvious two games missing would be Breath Of The Wild and Dragon Quest XIs, easily the best two games on the system currently so I'd recommend looking into those. My top five switch games would be those, Odyssey, MK8D and Darkest Dungeon personally. 

15 minutes ago, Ashez said:

The obvious two games missing would be Breath Of The Wild and Dragon Quest XIs, easily the best two games on the system currently so I'd recommend looking into those. My top five switch games would be those, Odyssey, MK8D and Darkest Dungeon personally. 

Cheers Ash, I have Breath of The Wild and I am I think around half way through it. Do I need to have played the all the other Dragon Quests to get in to XI?

15 minutes ago, JustM1kePlays said:

Do I need to have played the all the other Dragon Quests to get in to XI?

No, they're linked in some ways but nothing major. You won't really be missing out on anything at all, XI was kinda designed to be a good starting point as the series has historically struggled outside of Japan. 

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

No, they're linked in some ways but nothing major. You won't really be missing out on anything at all, XI was kinda designed to be a good starting point as the series has historically struggled outside of Japan. 

I will see if I can pick it up cheap and I might treat myself. Appreciate the information.

Edited by JustM1kePlays
spelling
7 minutes ago, JustM1kePlays said:

I will see if I can pick it up cheap and I might treat myself. Apricate the information.

I got it for £35 in December, that's best price I've seen it. It's a 70-100 hour game so it's worth the investment if you like it. @Nucleusalso raved about it.

1 hour ago, JustM1kePlays said:

I will see if I can pick it up cheap and I might treat myself. Apricate the information.

You wouldn’t be dissapointed!

If you fancy something a bit more adult friendly then I recommend The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I currently have a 150 hours on it and I’m having so much fun with it. Easily the best port on the system by a country mile

Edited by Nucleus
18 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

You wouldn’t be dissapointed!

If you fancy something a bit more adult friendly then I recommend The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I currently have a 150 hours on it and I’m having so much fun with it. Easily the best port on the system by a country mile

Nice, I haven't played any of the Witcher games however they do look like the style of game I would enjoy

They are some great games your kids have @JustM1kePlays

If you like the look of Witcher you might enjoy Dark Souls, Skyrim or Dragons Dogma. They are all RPG. Dark Souls is one of my favourite games of all time and I recently bought DD while it was on offer for £15. Like yourself I haven't played Witcher although it does look great.

@Ashez I haven't played in ages so the DLC doesn't interest me atm however after completing Shield and completing the Dex. I was thinking of starting a new save and using crappy Pokémon for the challenge, as I found the Shield so easy. Was thinking of using the trio of Pyukumuku, Pincurchin and Snom. 

38 minutes ago, JustM1kePlays said:

Nice, I haven't played any of the Witcher games however they do look like the style of game I would enjoy

I’ve not played the first two, you don’t really have to as the third is a stand-alone and not a continuation. There are some characters that crossover but you get their backstory given to you in the glossary and via the story :)

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you like the look of Witcher you might enjoy Dark Souls, Skyrim or Dragons Dogma. They are all RPG. Dark Souls is one of my favourite games of all time and I recently bought DD while it was on offer for £15. Like yourself I haven't played Witcher although it does look great.

I’ve got Skyrim too, and I can wholeheartedly say that is a very good game. I’ve had two playthrough actually! Dark Souls is one ive been looking at too but the difficulty is frightening! 

2 hours ago, Nucleus said:

I’ve got Skyrim too, and I can wholeheartedly say that is a very good game. I’ve had two playthrough actually! 

I've never played Skyrim myself but years ago I used to go round my neighbour's house and watch him play it on the 360, and it looked really good. Definitely the sort of game I would like, but I've never got round to buying it.

Dark Souls is one ive been looking at too but the difficulty is frightening! 

It's a fantastic game. I can see why the difficulty can be off putting for new players though. On my first few playthroughs I would never attempt the bosses on my own as they all looked so intimidating but eventually you learn their movesets and it can get quite easy. I managed to beat the game at level 1 and other people have managed to complete it without ever being hit, which is crazy! 

@JustM1kePlays @Mikey here’s my Switch friend code if you want to add me :)

SW-2597-2905-0300

Sure, just sent you a friend request.

Edited by Mikey
14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I've never played Skyrim myself but years ago I used to go round my neighbour's house and watch him play it on the 360, and it looked really good. Definitely the sort of game I would like, but I've never got round to buying it.

It doesn’t help that it’s holding its price really well! £45 for a physical copy, and that’s on a sale! I managed to snag it for £25 physically during last easters sale iirc

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It’s definitely one I want to try no doubt, it’d have to be at a good price for me to bite though, as I could quite easily just give up on it

Accepted your friend request :)

Edited by Nucleus
3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Dragons Dogma

Is this any good? It's caught my eye a few times. Interests me slightly more than Skyrim but less than The Witcher. 

3 hours ago, Nucleus said:

Easily the best port on the system by a country mile

BOTW and DQXI are ports, you're chatting shit @Nucleus 😂😂😂😂

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

the Shield so easy.

It was easy unfortunately, I dunno how hard Nuzlockes and the like are on it though. I've repeatedly debated a fighting type only run as a fair few are available early but just not had the time or desire. 

1 hour ago, JustM1kePlays said:

have played Skyrim on xbox.

Dunno if you mean 360 or a One but if you have another modern system every game mentioned is available on it for alot cheaper. I believe DQXIs is the only one where the Switch version is it's best form.