Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Nintendo

Ashez

40 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I'm so glad I'm not into Lego as it's so stupidly expensive but these Nintendo lines have me so tempted at times haha. Only previous times I've been weak is for Batmobiles but I've not bought Lego yet lol. I did get the Club Nintendo Lego Mario keychain last week though 😛

If you liked Lego you’d be bankrupt!!!

4 hours ago, Rob said:

Direct tomorrow. Any predictions?

Just seen that, awesome news! 

Not going to hype it up too much but the rumours about the September direct have been pretty tasty for a while. 

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Brilliance 

I'm interested in finally playing Star Fox 64 while I think I might give Banjo a go when that releases. Hoping Diddy Kong Racing is in the future as that with online could be fire! 

2 hours ago, Ashez said:

I'm interested in finally playing Star Fox 64 while I think I might give Banjo a go when that releases. Hoping Diddy Kong Racing is in the future as that with online could be fire! 

DKR would be amazing. 

I think it's Kotor2 but a Star Wars game is coming to the Switch. I remember playing it when I was younger and will probably pick it up. I had played Kotor2 recently on Steam when it was free although I found the controls difficult so gave up.

Star wars hunters looks fun too.

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

The Metroid Dread previews sound incredible 😍😍

I've never played a Metroid game before but for some reason found myself hyped for Metroid Prime 4 that was meant to come out. I saw the gameplay trailers for Dread and it didn't look like my sort of thing. Is the gameplay similar to other Metroid games?

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I've never played a Metroid game before but for some reason found myself hyped for Metroid Prime 4 that was meant to come out. I saw the gameplay trailers for Dread and it didn't look like my sort of thing. Is the gameplay similar to other Metroid games?

I'd never played a Metroid game until the WiiU, the drought of games on that system made me try them and I instantly fell in love. I've now played them all but Prime 3 (waiting for Switch collection) and Other M which is a poorly regarded stand alone. 

Metroid is split into two series. There is Metroid 1-5 (Dread is 5) and then the Prime series which is 1-3 with 4 coming. 

Metroid is a 2D "platform explorer" type game, while Prime is a FPS with exploration, for example Arkham Asylum is kinda like a Prime game where you explore to find items to progress. 

Metroid can be a confusing line of games due to all the remakes but it's Metroid 1 (Zero is remake), Metroid 2 (Samus Returns is remake), Metroid 3 is Super Metroid and Metroid 4 is Metroid Fusion. Personally I don't think the NES and GB games are worth playing as the remakes are so much better. 

Unfortunately they're all difficult to play now but Super Metroid is on the Switch online service and I would recommend at least giving it ago. Super Metroid was the first in the series I played and it took over my life for that short period, the second I was finished with it I bought the two GBA games on the WiiU VC, once I devoured those I bought the Prime Trilogy on the same service. 

As an experiences I would say Super Metroid and Prime 1 are up there with BOTW for me for games that blew my mind. Super Metroid is old and kinda clunky but I adored it, however I haven't replayed it since my original playthrough. The back end of Prime 1 sucks but the atmosphere of that game is incredible, I hated Prime 2 though, I beat it but I wouldn't play that again. 

What I've Been Playing 

August 2021

Another stupidly late update this month, this one was more planned however. In an attempt to keep it brief I thought I'd have a spell of time doing little but waiting around which fortunately didn't come about, so basically I saved this for then, but got lazy about doing it once I knew I wouldn't have that time lol. 

Switch

Pokémon Unite - I continued playing Pokémon Unite well into August, while my play time is nothing spectacular I am amazed I put almost 25 hours into this title, especially as I did really have to force myself to stop playing it. The frustration of SoloQ and the ranking system just got too much and I've other games to play so I forced myself to move on. The highest rank I got to was expert level 2, but that took so much grinding, especially trying to get out of the great rank hell my dreams of obtaining master just weren't happening. Like I said I've dropped the game for now but I wouldn't be surprised if I jumped back in from time to time in the coming months, especially as Mamoswine who's one my favourite characters has been announced to be released soon. 

Hard West - Hard West is a strategy role playing game in a similar style to Xcom but as I've never played Xcom I can't really offer any comparisons but as you all know I'm a big SRPG fan. The premise of the game sees you play multiple short campaigns in the old West with a supernatural flare so while there are plenty of cowboys around to cause problems some other darker elements are at play with a decent story to push you through. The game is broken up into two elements, the first is a visual novel/adventure game type situation where you have plenty of reading to do with questions to answer which will impact the story and your party, for example you might decide to explore a mine which leads to a character getting injured and receiving a negative stat effect. These sections were okay but they weren't why I was playing the game so I did find them tiresome towards the end, especially as it was a little trial and error as if things went wrong you could really screw yourself over, like I did on one chapter where I had to start again. This led to me playing these sections extremely cautiously which I think was the point, but it just made them somewhat uninteresting to be honest. Thankfully however the second aspect of the game was turn based strategy shootouts which I did really enjoy, it was your typical type of gameplay where you take turns moving characters, using abilities and taking shots but I found it enjoyable enough. One gimmick I did really like which was unique was that each character had a luck meter which you used to use abilities, however bullets you'd shoot or have aimed at you would also take into account this stat, so for example if the AI missed a shot you'd lose some luck points, so at times it was almost better to be hit so you could respond with an ability, it was just a very interesting tactical wrinkle for the game that I've not experienced before, it also meant missed shots from yourself weren't a complete waste as you'd receive luck points (as you'll lose luck points if you hit). The presentation was excellent but I am a sucker for the old West as it's a period of time I really enjoy, the narrators voice acting was also very important in bringing the game to life but I do wish the game had more voice acting considering all the reading required in this title. Unfortunately though it's not all good as I did encounter a couple of glitches and crashes which did hamper the experience, one thing I really didn't like was the game also locks you into combat missions once you start. I've looked into it and this is a design choice but it meant if you ever messed up your preparation you'd have to start the chapter again, this only caused me a real issue once but on multiple maps I miss clicked (controls aren't Nintendo, but other consoles so buttons are reversed to what I'm used to) and I had to either start the chapter again or brute force my way through it dealing with the mistake. Thankfully however the 8 main game chapters the game contains are short enough to play in one sitting as they usually last around 2-3 hours. All in all I did like Hard West, it did enough differently to stand out but you could also tell it was a very ambitious project that might not have stuck the landing on everything. I got the physical limited edition for £5.50 which was a bargain but I have seen it on the Eshop for around a £1 so for that price I would recommend it for sure, but I'd hesitate recommending it at full price. The title last around 12-15 hours which I think was the sweet spot but I'd have been happier if I didn't waste time accidentally ruining mission set ups or being screwed in the adventure game sections and having to restart entire chapters. 

GBA 

Pokémon Fire Red Nuzlocke - Yeah I've made no real progress here as I did about a hour of level grinding and that was about it haha. 

Game Of The Year 

Spoiler

New Releases

1. Pokémon Unite 

First Time Played This Year

1. Xenoblade Chronicles DX
2. Assassin's Creed Black Flag
3. Bioshock
4. BioShock 2
5. Yokus Island Express

Recent Pick Ups 

Eledees - £1 - Wii - The missus is an avid charity shop shopper, or shopper in general to be honest but I do occasionally join her on these second hand adventures. Obviously I've always got one eye on video games but I've never found anything worth buying as they're usually none existent, shovelwear or sports games noone would buy. However after years of looking the charity shop duck has been broken as this month I acquired a Wii copy of Eledees!! What is Eledees? Well I don't remember, it's just a game I know I've been after for ages and now I've finally ran into it. Eledees is a game that you'll run into alot when researching Wii hidden gems and the like. A quick Google reveals Eledees is a Konami game where you use the Wii remote like a gun to explore the environment to capture Eledees, I thought it was like some kinda of first person shooter Pikmin before looking so maybe it is lol. 

With this update being so late I'll attempt to have the September one up in a timely manor, it should be possible as I've only played one game in September. I want to have this out the way so I can start the Metroid Dread coverage haha. 

Right boys and girls(if there are any) my birthday is coming up next weekend and i'm pretty sure i'm getting a Switch! 😆

I need some game recommendations. I think i will be getting Fifa 22 but i'm not sure what else to get.

23 minutes ago, Woody said:

Right boys and girls(if there are any) my birthday is coming up next weekend and i'm pretty sure i'm getting a Switch! 😆

I need some game recommendations. I think i will be getting Fifa 22 but i'm not sure what else to get.

Breath Of The Wild, Mario Odyseey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Dragon Quest XIs and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 would be my must plays. Unfortunately they're all pretty much still full price. BOTW and Odyssey are the two standouts, Mario Kart 8 is an awesome family game while Xenoblade and DQXI are two of the best RPGs I've played. 

However seriously @WoodyI'd avoid FIFA like the plague. The Switch version isn't even FIFA it's classic which is shocking, I had 18 or 17 and it was dreadful and it's still basically the same game with just the transfer updates. Hold out and get FMT on there if you need a footy fix 😂

I can't even find a FIFA 22 switch review haha. I suppose it is half the price of the other versions but I still wouldn't touch it. 

Dunno if you're going physical or digital but this site is the best I've come across for decent prices. 

https://www.thegamecollection.net/fifa-22-legacy-edition-switch?sqr=Fifa&

FIFA is £30 there, it's £35 on Amazon and Game. 

added 0 minutes later
33 minutes ago, Woody said:

Oh you know a new Switch version releases Friday too right? 

54 minutes ago, Woody said:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe first and foremost, then Odyssey and BOTW. All three are incredible.

You will end up getting Animal Crossing for the family too.

Man, I love a good Pokémon Nuzlocke. Fire Red and Leaf Green are the best games for it. I done one a few years ago but died at Lavender Town. I also really love doing MonoTypes. I done a Ground one years ago but lost at the Elite Four and completed one using a Bug Monotype.

Talking of Lego I'm very tempted to buy the Star Wars Lego Collection on Steam. It's £15 on Steam or £4 through a key. So you can tell which option I'll go for but I love Lego games, just something about them for me.

Definitely Mario Odyssey @Woodyit's a brilliant game. Just a heads up on FIFA. The Switch version doesn't get updates, so it's the same gameplay as the first FIFA on the switch, which I believe is 17? They release new ones each year, just updating squads, kits, promotion the main things but don't bother with gameplay haha.

Edited by Mikey
16 hours ago, Mikey said:

Man, I love a good Pokémon Nuzlocke. Fire Red and Leaf Green are the best games for it. I done one a few years ago but died at Lavender Town. I also really love doing MonoTypes. I done a Ground one years ago but lost at the Elite Four and completed one using a Bug Monotype.

Talking of Lego I'm very tempted to buy the Star Wars Lego Collection on Steam. It's £15 on Steam or £4 through a key. So you can tell which option I'll go for but I love Lego games, just something about them for me.

Definitely Mario Odyssey @Woodyit's a brilliant game. Just a heads up on FIFA. The Switch version doesn't get updates, so it's the same gameplay as the first FIFA on the switch, which I believe is 17? They release new ones each year, just updating squads, kits, promotion the main things but don't bother with gameplay haha.

Mine is currently at the Elite Four but I'm like 10 levels below with everyone and I just haven't got the grinding in me ATM. I hope to return to it but I dunno if I will haha. 

I've never done a monotype nuzlocke as the above is my first nuzlocke, however I have done just standard monotype runs before. I did a poison type run on Fire Red and a Ground type run on X/Y which I really enjoyed. I want to do a fighting type one on Shield at some point. 

I like the idea of Lego games but they're all too similar that they never really stand out. I've played a few of the batman ones and the Lord Of The Rings one. I do think Lego City is the best of the bunch, it is a similar style but I did enjoy it for what it's worth. 

On 01/10/2021 at 14:01, Ashez said:

Breath Of The Wild, Mario Odyseey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Dragon Quest XIs and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 would be my must plays. Unfortunately they're all pretty much still full price. BOTW and Odyssey are the two standouts, Mario Kart 8 is an awesome family game while Xenoblade and DQXI are two of the best RPGs I've played. 

However seriously @WoodyI'd avoid FIFA like the plague. The Switch version isn't even FIFA it's classic which is shocking, I had 18 or 17 and it was dreadful and it's still basically the same game with just the transfer updates. Hold out and get FMT on there if you need a footy fix 😂

I can't even find a FIFA 22 switch review haha. I suppose it is half the price of the other versions but I still wouldn't touch it. 

Dunno if you're going physical or digital but this site is the best I've come across for decent prices. 

https://www.thegamecollection.net/fifa-22-legacy-edition-switch?sqr=Fifa&

FIFA is £30 there, it's £35 on Amazon and Game. 

added 0 minutes later

Oh you know a new Switch version releases Friday too right? 

Thanks bud. Most of those where on my list tbh but i needed an expert view  😉

Yes i did know the new one is coming out but its really for a casual thing so i'm not that bothered about a newer version just yet tbh. 😆

On 01/10/2021 at 14:23, Rob said:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe first and foremost, then Odyssey and BOTW. All three are incredible.

You will end up getting Animal Crossing for the family too.

Not a cat in hells chance mate 😂

Actually bought Lego City Undercover earlier today @Ashez The annoying thing about the game is there is no save option, you either have to complete a level or change at a designers booth. I had no idea, so played it earlier and got my police uniform then came off as I had to pop out, came home went online and had to start right at the beginning, so I spent an hour exploring the map before changing designs so the game saved. Not risking that again. As for Lego Star Wars; I only got 10 minutes into the game, had no idea where to go and then when I finally figured it out I had to come off lol.

Edited by Mikey
4 minutes ago, Woody said:

Ok. I think i'm set on which games i want. So i'm going for BoTW, Mario Kart 8 and Odyssey.

Whats mental about that is they're all launch window titles. 

I'm not going to knock the Switch library as I personally think it's awesome but it is something when I'd still say the must plays are from the first few months and technically two WiiU ports 😂

Hopefully we can add Metroid to the list next week :D

56 minutes ago, Woody said:

Ok. I think i'm set on which games i want. So i'm going for BoTW, Mario Kart 8 and Odyssey.

Sound choice. Three of the best games ever.

Planning on getting a pro controller too?

46 minutes ago, Rob said:

Do you have a Pro? 

I adore mine, I reluctantly bought it release day but I'm so glad I did, it's the best controller I've ever used. Granted the D-Pad placement isn't the best but I don't use it often. It's held up remarkably well, obviously I look after it but I've spent a stupid amount of time with it, over 2000 hours ish easy. 

2 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Do you have a Pro? 

I adore mine, I reluctantly bought it release day but I'm so glad I did, it's the best controller I've ever used. Granted the D-Pad placement isn't the best but I don't use it often. It's held up remarkably well, obviously I look after it but I've spent a stupid amount of time with it, over 2000 hours ish easy. 

Yep, and wholeheartedly agree. What a controller. 

28 minutes ago, Rob said:

Yep, and wholeheartedly agree. What a controller. 

It always surprises me when it's flat, it holds a charge that long I never think about charging it 😂. I have got in the habit of checking it now though if I know a big session is approaching. 

Haven't played the switch since 17th September and I won't until Friday 😭

7 hours ago, Ashez said:

Whats mental about that is they're all launch window titles. 

I'm not going to knock the Switch library as I personally think it's awesome but it is something when I'd still say the must plays are from the first few months and technically two WiiU ports 😂

Hopefully we can add Metroid to the list next week :D

That would be nice 👍

6 hours ago, Rob said:

Not thought about that t'be honest.

2 hours ago, Woody said:

Ok....Metroid Dread looks awesome!

I'm so hyped for it :D. I may have got Friday off work for it :p, my post better be here early haha. 

The reviews are so positive, ahh I'm hyped. 

Screenshot_20211006_202731_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.e334391aaf92f7b1c18f910d095049d0.jpg