Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Nintendo

Ashez

I hope my post comes early tomorrow as today has dragged so much! The reviews have been really good as expected, one thing I can't wait to find out is which is better, Mario or Zelda. What a first year for the Switch. 

I've never played Animal Crossing either haha. 

I have an USA and Japanese account for the demos mainly. Tried the sonic demo and the gameplay isn't bad but the time limit sucks! 

Switch first year is being better than I expected. Money so well spend it until now. I'm very happy with it. 

I have Japanese account to buy games cheaper. Bought One Piece for 37 euros in there while it costs 60 in my country. 

12 hours ago, Ashez said:

I hope my post comes early tomorrow as today has dragged so much! The reviews have been really good as expected, one thing I can't wait to find out is which is better, Mario or Zelda. What a first year for the Switch. 

I've never played Animal Crossing either haha. 

I have an USA and Japanese account for the demos mainly. Tried the sonic demo and the gameplay isn't bad but the time limit sucks! 

As it happens, I've tried it on Wednesday :D We've done the PR for this campaign in Belgium. Pretty cool game, though Mario is not really my bae.

Played the first few hours of Mario and I'm really enjoying it. In the desert kingdom ATM after spending way to long coin hunting in the first area. I have 46/50 purple coins and I can't find the last four at all, spent ages looking but gave up and moved on lol. 

It hasn't blown me away like BOTW did but I'm deliberately pacing myself as I don't want to rush through it lol. 

3 hours ago, Ashez said:

Played the first few hours of Mario and I'm really enjoying it. In the desert kingdom ATM after spending way to long coin hunting in the first area. I have 46/50 purple coins and I can't find the last four at all, spent ages looking but gave up and moved on lol. 

It hasn't blown me away like BOTW did but I'm deliberately pacing myself as I don't want to rush through it lol. 

I’ve already finished the main storyline. Took me about 8 hours to finish

I was more blown away with Zelda too, because I wasn't expecting the game to be that good. But I'm enjoying Mario more so far. It gives me so much Ape Escape nostalgia for some reason lol. 

10 hours ago, Real_Random said:

I’ve already finished the main storyline. Took me about 8 hours to finish

You animal haha! I'm undecided how I want to approach it as yet. I know I'm more likely to do the collectables as I go compared to after the story so I'm trying to take my time ATM. That might change though if i get too frustrated and just want to progress. 

1 hour ago, zaangie said:

I was more blown away with Zelda too, because I wasn't expecting the game to be that good. But I'm enjoying Mario more so far. It gives me so much Ape Escape nostalgia for some reason lol. 

Mario is more what I expected as it feels so much like Mario 64. I think that's why it's slightly less mind blowing as BOTW was a brand new shock to the system. 

How's our little Nintendo community going? I have some time to kill so I thought I'd post a little update :P 

Mario

I finished Mario's story last week which was ace, that ending was spectacular and the hidden kingdom after the main boss was so freaking cool! Currently working towards that 100% line now and I've 100%'d up to the flower kingdom. The post game adds some rather challenging areas for sure. Sitting on around 650 moons currently I think. Pretty glad I took my time with the story and did so much as I went along as it's made the post game a lot less daunting haha. It's a good game, possibly my favourite 3D Mario game or at least up there with the Galaxy's but it's a tad too collectathon and not enough platformer for me, but I've always liked the 2D games a tad more than the 3D ones. 

The big question is Zelda vs Mario and imo it's a no contest as Zelda wins hands down. That surprises me as I'm way more of a Mario fan than a Zelda fan and while Odyssey is fantastic Zelda just blew me away. Both are 9 or 10/10 games for sure but BOTW was so new and unique it's the better game IMO. 

My Top 5 Games Of The Year: 

1. BOTW

2. Odyssey

3. Mario + Rabbids

4. DQ8

5. Fire Emblem Echoes 

3 and 4 might swap over time but I loved Rabbids and DQ8 is one of the best RPG's I've ever played. Fire Emblem sneaks in above Metroid as while I have issues with Echoes I think it's a great game. If I was going Switch only I'd likely go No More Heroes and Rayman. 

Recent Pick Ups

As I've said before I wanted Fire Emblem Warriors and especially the limited edition but the price wasn't right so I held off. However to my surprise my local Game not only had it in stock but they also had it on sale for £50, as I had £8 worth of points on my reward card I decided to pick it up. So I got the limited edition for basically the same price as the standard release which is ace. I've yet to open it though as I'll get to it once I've had enough of Mario. 

The last game I've picked up is Batman The Telltale series! I've never played it due to it not coming to the WiiU and during Black Friday Amazon US had it on sale for $20. After postage, conversions and all that jazz i ended up paying £23 for a game that released like last week. It'll be here early next month and I'm pretty excited, tbf I'm not sure the telltale style is for me but it's Batman so I wanted it :P 

I didn't end up bothering with Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon and with the above games now in my Switch backlog I doubt I will anytime soon. Third party wise I am interested in Doom and Skyrim as again I've never played either so I might turn to those in the coming months. Xenoblade is the next big nintendo release but I have zero interest in that, while the game looks amazing to explore in the time commitment and the battle system just don't appeal. I played the first but I put it down and never played it again for reasons I don't remember, I keep saying I'll return but I never do. I'd guess my next purchase and my final buy of the year will be the BOTW DLC. 

Now to wait for the next Nintendo directl likely in January to see what their plans are for next year :D. 

Not much to add in this little Nintendo community but I really loved playing Zelda. Not the 3D crap tho, no, the old stuff, the classic game. Spent hours and hours exploring all worlds looking for missing bottles, hidden entrances etc :laugh: kinda miss it. 

Have actually found some of the older games to play on the phone which is super cool, but no Zelda :'(

54 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

Not much to add in this little Nintendo community but I really loved playing Zelda. Not the 3D crap tho, no, the old stuff, the classic game. Spent hours and hours exploring all worlds looking for missing bottles, hidden entrances etc :laugh: kinda miss it. 

Have actually found some of the older games to play on the phone which is super cool, but no Zelda :'(

Typically top down Zelda is my preference too, I love ALTTP (SNES) and ALBW's (3DS) so much. I've never played Zelda one however so that is on my "games I need to get to list." I tried Link's Awakening but it's not aged well and I just couldn't be doing with it, those issues have also put me off trying the Oracle games but I'm hoping they'll see a ALBW's style remake soon. Which leaves Minish Cap which I do really want to play but I've played so much Zelda in recent years I just haven't got to it yet. It doesn't help i have it on WiiU and not 3DS though, maybe once the Switch has an VC I'll pick it up. 

I had OOT as a kid and while I enjoyed it I was never in love with it. However across the 3DS and WiiU remakes I've now played OOT, MM, Windwaker, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, ALBWs, ALTTP, LA, Triforce Heroes and obviously BOTW.  My favourite 3D Zelda is easily BOTW with MM in second place while 2D it has to be ALBWs and ALTTP. I don't replay long games that often but ALBW's is at the top of my 3DS games I want to replay at some point list. 

Had to google all abbrevs to know what you're talking about :laugh: I rarely play on any other game console now tho, getting all my games 'fixes' on my phone. Purely due to the convenience. There's actually a few decent adventure games out there that I've played but of course nothing of Zelda's quality and not as in-depth, but pretty decent nonetheless. Every 6 months or so I have a look around in Playstore for new (old) stuff that's brought back to life and there's always a game or two that sparks my interest. A nice distraction to FMM at times :)

8 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Had to google all abbrevs to know what you're talking about :laugh: I rarely play on any other game console now tho, getting all my games 'fixes' on my phone. Purely due to the convenience. There's actually a few decent adventure games out there that I've played but of course nothing of Zelda's quality and not as in-depth, but pretty decent nonetheless. Every 6 months or so I have a look around in Playstore for new (old) stuff that's brought back to life and there's always a game or two that sparks my interest. A nice distraction to FMM at times :)

Oops My bad! I assume that's what people think when we get into a deep FMM chat haha 

Mobile gaming doesn't interest me at all tbh. FMM is the one exception but I did put some time into Fire Emblem Heroes as I love the series but I didn't stay interested for long. Rumours are Nintendo's next mobile release next year will be Zelda themed ;) 

Played some more Mario and up to 657 moons and I've completed up to the cloud area. Some of the moons are getting really annoying now haha. 

Just seen all my friendslist are playing new games! Come on lads what's the take :P

9 hours ago, Ashez said:

I had OOT as a kid and while I enjoyed it I was never in love with it. However across the 3DS and WiiU remakes I've now played OOT, MM, Windwaker, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, ALBWs, ALTTP, LA, Triforce Heroes and obviously BOTW.  My favourite 3D Zelda is easily BOTW with MM in second place while 2D it has to be ALBWs and ALTTP. I don't replay long games that often but ALBW's is at the top of my 3DS games I want to replay at some point list. 

This makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine :P

@Real_RandomI see you've played Batman Telltale, just a quick question really but did you have any issues with it? I started it last night and chapter 3 just won't save for me :(. The first two chapters saved fine but C3 just won't save and I've lost so much progress :(. Basically given up on it now until it's patched but I'm gutted as the story really has its hooks in me! I'm still not convinced by the gameplay but man the story is ace so far. 

In frustration I got the BOTW DLC so I'll play that this weekend instead. 

Also you've played so many new games I need to grill you about but I'm just so busy ATM :(. My brief rundown is 

1. Dropped Mario at around 700 moons IIRC as I just got fed up of the grind. I will return later though. 

2. Fire Emblem Warriors - Still unopened but I'm heading there soon. I planned to go Batman - Zelda - FE but now I dunno. 

3. Ginger - Some Indie game I won in a giveaway :D. 3D platformer and trailer looks good but not ready for it yet due to Mario. A free £20 game though so I can't complain 

4. Batman - Really wanted to play it but fed up due to the above issue :( 

5. BOTW DLC - Starting this weekend. 

6. All the new demos are unplayed as yet haha. Slime-San (?) is one I really want to try though. 

PS - I'm also stupidly addicted to the mobile game YuGiOh Duel Links :P. I'm just super busy ATM but things should calm down after Xmas so I can catch up on games and Vibe. 

@Ashez I've had the same issue for episode 4 and 5. 3 was ok for me though. I've got about 150 hours logged on Fifa. I also bought skyrim which I'm enjoying it's a shame about batman because it was a great game and I was enjoying it up until episode 4.

Don't listen to them ash Ketchum, saying Mario and Zelda are lagging behind call of duty and watch dogs is like saying the beatles are lagging behind Taylor swift!

If it ain't broke, there's no need to fix it

22 hours ago, Real_Random said:

@Ashez I've had the same issue for episode 4 and 5. 3 was ok for me though. I've got about 150 hours logged on Fifa. I also bought skyrim which I'm enjoying it's a shame about batman because it was a great game and I was enjoying it up until episode 4.

I hope the issue is patched soon then. I was really addicted to the story and it's well done but I'm not usually a fan of quick time events, it took some warming up to but the second I was hooked the game broke :@. The story is ace, it has a nice art style and it flows really well, not that keen on the more point and click type parts though as it's rather clunky and linear. 

You're Fifa time shocks me every time I go on my Switch haha. That play time mostly online? It's an impressive amount! 

Skyrim I'm totally on the fence about, it should appeal to me but for some reason it doesn't lol. I'm sure I'll end up picking it up in the future though. Maybe in January as I've played/got Bayonetta 1/2 so I won't be picking those up. 

3 hours ago, Ashez said:

I hope the issue is patched soon then. I was really addicted to the story and it's well done but I'm not usually a fan of quick time events, it took some warming up to but the second I was hooked the game broke :@. The story is ace, it has a nice art style and it flows really well, not that keen on the more point and click type parts though as it's rather clunky and linear. 

You're Fifa time shocks me every time I go on my Switch haha. That play time mostly online? It's an impressive amount! 

Skyrim I'm totally on the fence about, it should appeal to me but for some reason it doesn't lol. I'm sure I'll end up picking it up in the future though. Maybe in January as I've played/got Bayonetta 1/2 so I won't be picking those up. 

I’ve got Skyrim for the first time and I’m loving it. My FIFA time is mostly ultimate team single player modes and career mode, I rarely find matches online so have given up.

2 hours ago, Real_Random said:

I’ve got Skyrim for the first time and I’m loving it. My FIFA time is mostly ultimate team single player modes and career mode, I rarely find matches online so have given up.

Skyrim is likely the top of my list for my next physical pick up (Switch eshop Xmas sale has caught my eye :p). I just need to clear this backlog first as I promised myself I wouldn't allow a Switch one to pile up but it has haha. I don't jump game often and I tend to stick to one until I'm finished with it. I should be able to fire through the games I have though once my time frees up again as only FE Warriors is daunting. 

Sucks many aren't playing FIFA then :(. I had a weak spell where I almost bought it before Mario but I've lost interest in it again now. 

On 15 December 2017 at 09:18, Archie Graveluth said:

Been playing LA Noire. Enjoying it so far. @Ashez, buy Skyrim. One of the best games I've ever played. So good that I had 150+ hours on PS3 and I'm still buying it for the Switch.

I tried LA Noire on the 360 as I borrowed it off a mate, I remember just not feeling the game. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it at the time but I found it slow and boring, it's one I do want to try again though. 

Skyrim is going to be my next purchase as things stand :). 

I got no gaming done this weekend at all as I was busier than I expected, I did play FMM and YuGiOh though. I also have no TV ATM but I tried to play BOTW in handheld but it felt like I was missing too much of the experience :P

I picked up SteamWorld Dig 2 in the eshop sale though, as I've said before I planned to buy it on it's release but I was too swamped with everything else. Super excited to jump into that as I love Image & Form. 

Anyone watch the Nintendo mini direct? Not a lot spoke to me but it was packed full of news and interesting releases. I'm rather excited for Dragon Quest Builders so I'm looking forward to trying the demo once I have time, it was one I was always picking up so I'm happy to be able to try it first. Outside of that I can't see myself buying much else revealed but I'm hopeful about the tennis game. Slightly disappointed we got no Fire Emblem info as I hoped that would be a early 2018 release but all in all a solid direct.

As for what I've been playing I'm still waiting on the Batman patch so I have't got back to that yet. I have however beaten the BOTW DLC and while it was fun I have to say I was disappointed in it as it was everything I didn't want. After 100 hours of exploring I wanted something else to do and the story bits were hardly worth it. In fairness the dungeon and some of the shrines were great but I could have done without it, I suppose I can't complain too much however as I did love just playing the game again. BOTW is just outstanding!

With those out the way I'm currently playing Fire Emblem Warriors and I'm on chapter 13 which I assume is about half way through. I'm seriously surprised how much i'm enjoying it as Hyrule Warriors didn't really do it for me, however i am deliberately pacing myself and playing in 30-60min bursts which helps stop the repetative nature of the game creep in. 

Pick ups wise only one new addition to my collection which is Pokemon Ultra Sun. I wasn't planning on getting it but i got a good deal (£25 new) so i couldn't pass that up. Currently at the end of the first island with a team of Torracat and Hawlucha. 

Once these two are finished i'll play Steamworld Dig 2 and hopefully Batman's patch will be out. As long as i like the DQ builders demo that will be my next purchase next month. 

Nintendo Labo!

This is mental, obviously not aimed at us but I think kids would love it yet at the same time it's just cardboard lol. Such an Nintendo idea in the best of ways and the worst haha.

-

Finished Fire Emblem Warriors at around the 11 hour mark, for what it was I enjoyed my time with it and I'm glad I picked it up.

32 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Nintendo Labo!

This is mental, obviously not aimed at us but I think kids would love it yet at the same time it's just cardboard lol. Such an Nintendo idea in the best of ways and the worst haha.

-

Finished Fire Emblem Warriors at around the 11 hour mark, for what it was I enjoyed my time with it and I'm glad I picked it up.

I saw this announced and I thought what are Nintendo doing but obviously anything to attract a new audience to Switch is a benefit to us as in the long run we could get more games by third parties who see large Switch sale numbers

I think these look really cool and I would have gone nuts for this sort of thing when i was a kid. Now as a parent I have mixed feeling as I really hope my daughter wants some of these basically so I can have a go but I also know it will be something else I will trip over round the house?

10 hours ago, Real_Random said:

I saw this announced and I thought what are Nintendo doing but obviously anything to attract a new audience to Switch is a benefit to us as in the long run we could get more games by third parties who see large Switch sale numbers

Spot on, I'm fine with things not appealing to me as if they find an audience it'll lead to more stuff I want. I really wonder if this will be the Switches Wii Sports moment. 

45 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

I think these look really cool and I would have gone nuts for this sort of thing when i was a kid. Now as a parent I have mixed feeling as I really hope my daughter wants some of these basically so I can have a go but I also know it will be something else I will trip over round the house?

I was going to ask what you thought later haha. I agree I think if I had a kid I'd have an interest in this. The price point does worry me (£50-60 a pack by looks of it) but that does include a game and all the materials, so while it's expensive there could be a lot of time spent with it when you take into account the building, it's just will parents see the benefits or just see it as cardboard. Teaching kids to be creative and basic mechanical stuff is super cool, as a kid I loved knex due to all the mechanical stuff it could do and even stuff like airfix models so this is that stuff packaged with software to enhance the experience. Like I said it's not for me but I can see and feel the magic in this product, I smiled ear to ear watching the reveal. 

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

The price point does worry me (£50-60 a pack by looks of it)

Thats the big concern for me. I will need to see that this has real longevity of use before I spend that kind of money. If it is simply a fun gimmick that only gives a couple of hours of entertainment then I won't be bothering. As an example I paid somewhere between £45-£50 for Mario Kart but as a family we play that nearly everyday and have done since we got the Switch a couple of days after Xmas so the price is very small compared to the hours of fun we have had with that game. 

1 hour ago, FuddledFox said:

Thats the big concern for me. I will need to see that this has real longevity of use before I spend that kind of money. If it is simply a fun gimmick that only gives a couple of hours of entertainment then I won't be bothering. As an example I paid somewhere between £45-£50 for Mario Kart but as a family we play that nearly everyday and have done since we got the Switch a couple of days after Xmas so the price is very small compared to the hours of fun we have had with that game. 

Yeah that's fair, it lives or dies in the software that comes with it. I read that the piano takes 2 hours to build but it needs the gameplay to be sound for repeated use, it can't be an afternoon project type thing at that price point.