Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Nintendo

Ashez

I was deciding between Switch and PS4 for Xmas and found the Switch too "light". Also, I don't have much time atm but at some point I know I will buy GTA V to finally play the game I've been wanting to play for years. Played all the previous ones too for hours days weeks months so it's gotta happen I'm afraid :D hope I made the right decision. No regrets thus far, my son absolutely loves playing Knack II hehe!

I've finished Fire Emblem Warriors which was a good time, playing as Chrom was just ace. I have no idea why I like his character so much but oh well. Now I can't wait for the proper Fire Emblem game. 

I've also finished Steamworld Dig 2 which is a masterpiece in exploring platformers. It improved massively on the first game and unlockable items just make exploring the caves so much fun, I only found 40% of the secrets so I'm very tempted to continue playing as the puzzles are decent. If you want an excellent 2D Metroid like game I'd strongly recommend it, however Steamworld games go on sale often so maybe wait, my play through was around 7 hours so while it's worth the price the sale price of £12 odd quid is better value. 

Currently playing is only Pokemon now but I'm just chipping at it here and there so I'm only just coming to the end of the second island. Still awaiting a bloody patch for Batman but I think ill just play it now knowing it won't save as I'm tired of waiting. 

Pick up wise I've added two new Switch games to my physical collection being This Is The Police and Axiom Verge. TITP is a SIM management game so I thought it was worth a shot considering I love FMM but I'm unsure if I'll like it haha. Axiom Verge is another 2D Metroid type game created by one person which I've always wanted to try but I never got to it on WiiU so I'm happy to have a physical copy now. 

I've also placed two preorders for Dragon Quest Builders (the demo is ace) and Darkest Dungeon which is a rogue like RPG which looks brutally fun. 

Edit - Went back to Batman and now I'm fed up! I decided to screw it and just play it knowing my choices wouldn't save and then half way through the chapter the game crashes! As it doesn't save I've lost it all and there is no way to skip through it. How the hell can a game that doesn't save not be patched in 2/3 months? I love what I played as the story really got its hooks into me but this game is my only Switch regret! Such a cool concept ruined by a shit port and no support, I'm done with Telltale now. Played the first hour of C3 4 times now since I've had it and I can't progress, absolute trash. 

Edited by Ashez

Nintendo Online starts in September. 

Mario Kart the mobile game is coming March 2019

A Mario movie is being made by the Despicable Me team. 

Update time!! 

Finished/Random

This Is The Police - Finished it Friday night and it was an interesting and unique experience. The theme are dark and the game is intentionally frustrating but i enjoyed it enough to put 15-20 hours into it. The story is really well paced and it does get it's hooks into you but the ending is rather underwhelming. A sequel has been announced and it's something I'll keep my eye on. 

Steamworld Dig 2 - They announced a physical release :@. Well annoyed since I gave in and got it digitally :@. I suppose I'm double dipping now. 

Axiom Verge - Still in the wrapper 

Currently Playing

Dragon Quest Builders - Came Friday but I didn't get to start it until today, so far I've just replayed the start which is the demo. Imo Dragon Quest games build wonderful worlds and characters! 

Pokemon Ultra Sun - Not made much progress unfortunately. 

New Pick Ups

Fifa 18 & Lego City Undercover - Just ordered them now so I'll have them in a few days, both on sale on Amazon for around £22 each, and there is a save £5 promo code when you spend £35 so got both for £40 which I think is good. I've wanted another multiplayer game to rival MK8 so these should get some play. I intended to order LA Noir but it was sold out so I went for Lego City which I wanted to get anyway, @UKFootballScore you played that right?

Pre-Order - Darkest Dungeon 

@Real_Random - How'd you find LA N and Stardew Valley?

@AshezI really enjoyed La Noire, it's the first time I played it and I was very impressed with it, only problem was I finished it a week after I bought it. I found that it was a little bit choppy though and the load times were unbearable but still it was a good game.

Stardew Valley, very nice game, it's both fun and relaxing to play. Although I do find it's easy to lose interest because of the repetitiveness of the game, it's still enjoyable and for $17 AUD is good value considering how many hours I have put into it.

LAN is staying reasonably cheap here at around £25 and I've been tempted a few times, just not felt like adding it to my back log as yet. That, Skyrim and Doom are ones I'm interested in but the last two have held their value pretty well (£40-50. Maybe I'll pick it up once I've cleared what I've got, tbh a games length doesn't bother me as long as I enjoy it and the price reflects it's length. 

I've always wanted to play Stardew Valley as I really enjoyed Rune Factory on the 3DS, or the first half anyway. Only reason I haven't got it yet is because a physical release has been rumoured. 

Just played two matches of Fifa in handheld mode and I have to say I'm impressed! Looking forward to getting the family round and truly testing it now :D

@Real_Random What you make of Dragon Quest Builders?

7 hours ago, Ashez said:

Just played two matches of Fifa in handheld mode and I have to say I'm impressed! Looking forward to getting the family round and truly testing it now :D

@Real_Random What you make of Dragon Quest Builders?

I quite liked the demo I've played so far, it seems to be a good game but not completely sold yet, I might wait a bit if I do get it

It appealed to me as I like the standard Dragon Quest games (JRPGs) with Dragon Quest 8 and 9 being two of my favourite games. I also rather enjoyed Minecraft back in the day but I hated how the game had no point so this mix really caught my attention. Unfortunately the demo is the start of the game and progress doesn't carry over so all I've played of the actual release is the demo part again but I'm hoping to play more over the weekend. 

Lego City Undercover turned up today :). 

Saying that I looked at my collect and in 5/6 years of the WiiU I have 23 physical games, on the Switch I have 15 with one on pre-order in under a year :o! And there are a number of titles I want when the price is right (Doom, Skyrim, LA Noire, Arms, Street Fighter, Bomberman, and a few indies I'm debating ordering :p). I bloody love the Switch!! 

On 15/02/2018 at 21:06, Ashez said:

Don’t buy the console version. It’s criminal what they’ve done to it!

4 hours ago, NucleusNT said:

Don’t buy the console version. It’s criminal what they’ve done to it!

What do you mean? I'm confused lol. 

3 minutes ago, Ashez said:

What do you mean? I'm confused lol. 

:laugh: I’m suggesting you don’t buy fifa 18 on Xbox/Ps it’s the worst one I’ve played. They’ve destroyed the game

Just now, NucleusNT said:

:laugh: I’m suggesting you don’t buy fifa 18 on Xbox/Ps it’s the worst one I’ve played. They’ve destroyed the game

Oh, I see lol. My comment mentioned handheld mode then you said console and I was thinking that the Switch is the console version lol :S

Had my brothers round today so we messed around on fifa, at first they gave it grief but after a few games we had a blast. My one brother has a XB1 while the other has a PS4 and they play a lot of fifa but they seemed to enjoy the Switch version. It almost feels more arcadey than older fifa games I played on XB1, to me anyway. 

What's so wrong with the XB/PS versions?

I may have to try the switch version then. The Xbox version I have just seems a whole lot more competitive. It’s not casual gamer friendly if that makes sense? They’ve changed the whole defending to manual, there’s just way too many button presses for my liking

Just now, NucleusNT said:

I may have to try the switch version then. The Xbox version I have just seems a whole lot more competitive. It’s not casual gamer friendly if that makes sense? They’ve changed the whole defending to manual, there’s just way too many button presses for my liking

The Switch version reviewed reasonably but got shit on for lacking features. @Real_Randomis the guy to talk to about Fifa Switch as his play time is sky high :p. I've only played 3-4 hours of it so far. 

I know what you mean about fifa getting complex though, I've felt that before. The Switch version has "two button mode" I saw today as a control option but I've not tried it

6 minutes ago, Ashez said:

The Switch version reviewed reasonably but got shit on for lacking features. @Real_Randomis the guy to talk to about Fifa Switch as his play time is sky high :p. I've only played 3-4 hours of it so far. 

I know what you mean about fifa getting complex though, I've felt that before. The Switch version has "two button mode" I saw today as a control option but I've not tried it

I remember the two button control on one of the older console versions. I remember trying it once and it sucked :laugh:

14 minutes ago, NucleusNT said:

I remember the two button control on one of the older console versions. I remember trying it once and it sucked :laugh:

I think it's intended for two players using a joycon each on Switch. 

11 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

Sure I read somewhere that fifa on switch was based on an older version maybe fifa 16.

That sounds familiar. I know it doesn't have the frostbite engine which started with 2017. 

14 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

Sure I read somewhere that fifa on switch was based on an older version maybe fifa 16.

I’ve just read the IGN review for it, sounds terrible :laugh:

1 minute ago, samhardy said:

How this thread has got 10 pages is beyond me

I like talking to myself :P

I suppose it's a consequence of posting on Vibe about saves and how I like talking about games, this is just my record. The Switch took off and in time people joined in :). 

2 minutes ago, NucleusNT said:

I’ve just read the IGN review for it, sounds terrible :laugh:

Never liked or trusted ign reviews tbh. Just read the review and it's not reviewing the game on its own merit but by comparing it to other versions, tbh that's pretty poor. 

@Real_Random I assume you finished Bayonetta 2 so what did you think? Have you played it before? Any reason why you started the second before the first lol? I played them on the WiiU while I wanted for the Switch to release so I have no interest in picking them up again tbh. I did enjoy them but the story lacking sucks, especially compared to the solid stories the Devil May Cry games have. Devil May Cry 3 is one of my favourite games but Bayonetta didnt scratch that itch for me like I hoped. Very solid and enjoyable games though even if I didn't like the quick play segments. 

Also any thoughts on the Kirby demo? I've downloaded it but not tried it yet. Kirby wise I played the first 3DS one but it didn't really do it for me as I found it super boring. I'll check out the demo at some point though. 

As for myself I've got no new pick ups as I'm still chipping away at Dragon Quest Builders, I unlocked the final chapter tonight though so I'll hopefully finish that off this week. Now this is a really good game if you enjoy the game play loop. I've also sunk a lot more time into Ultra Sun as I just want that finished at this point and I got to the last island last night :). Once DQB is finished I'll move on to Lego City or Axiom Verge but I'm not sure which yet, I'm also unsure what I'll play on my 3DS after Pokemon lol. 

Finally Happy Birthday Nintendo Switch! What an amazing launch year the system has had! 

@Ashez this was my first time playing either game and both are great, I have finished Bayonetta 2 and almost finished Bayonetta. Kirby is good, feels like new super Mario Bros on the Wii just with Kirby

3 hours ago, Real_Random said:

@Ashez this was my first time playing either game and both are great, I have finished Bayonetta 2 and almost finished Bayonetta. Kirby is good, feels like new super Mario Bros on the Wii just with Kirby

IIRC I enjoyed the second one the most as the story of the first was impossible to follow lol. The cut scenes were especially a highlight of the second game while the action in both is excellent. I'll be interested in picking up the third game for sure once it's released. 

See I love the NSMBs games and 2D platformers are my jam but Kirby has never appealed. The 3DS game was just too easy and boring but I have to admit the trailers of the Switch release do look more appealing. I'll try out the demo when I feel like it I suppose, I also have the Wii one which I've yet to play yet but they're similar. It's only in my collection as I know it's one of the rarer Wii titles and I got a good price for it, I just haven't got around to it as yet. Tbh I actually can't wait to set my Wii/WiiU back up as I'm craving a few GC and Wii games of late, I've just not brought a TV stand as yet for the games room so I can't set anything up. I'm also kind of delaying as it means I can keep the Switch in the front room on the 65inch haha. 

I've been chipping at this for a while so I suppose I best actually post it lol.

Nintendo Direct 

In truth I thought it was a rather poor showing but all that made sense come the end, Smash is coming my friends!! Smash would have blown everything out the water so it made sense to not show everything now, even if I am getting desperate for Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest news lol. Smash is an odd title for me as I love it, I really do and especially the build up hype and character reveals but at the same time it's a game I don't put much time into unless there is a good single player element. I played Smash on the Wii loads due to the story mode but Smash WiiU I played a lot less than I would have hoped. I'm sure I'll be blown away by the hype and that I'll buy it but I hope this one has a bizarre story mode like Brawl. 

Everything Else Revealed Of Interest

3DS - Couldn't care less, interesting that the Mario and Luigi game is dated for 2019 though. 

Captain Toad - I'm not much of a puzzle game fan but it's one I was tempted by on the WiiU so maybe I'll get it on the Switch 

Okami HD - This excited me until it said it was digital only :@! It's a game I've always wanted to play but I've not got to yet, I do own it on the Wii but the controls scare me so I standard controlled version had me interested. I'll hold off for a sale or a later announced physical release. 

Mario Tennis - A lot deeper than I expected but I'll wait for reviews and more single player info before making a decision. I've actually never played a Mario sports title apart from Strikers on the Wii which I adore. 

Crash - The missus was pretty hyped about this announcement but I'm only half tempted. While I have some attachment to the series I can't say it's that strong lol. It'll be one I'll pick up on sale I expect. 

Little Nightmares - This really caught my imagination! Such a wonderful art style and it looks really interesting, this is certainly on my radar. 

Nindie Spotlight 

Absolutely nothing caught my eye, there wasn't anything I was expecting or hoping for though tbh. As with all Indies I'm sure word of mouth and reviews will bring some to my attention. 

Currently Playing

Kirby Demo - Omg what a snooze fest! This demo did absolutely nothing for me at all! The AI basically did everything themselves. The reviews seem mixed but it's clear Kirby just isn't for me. 

Axiom Verge - I finished it Tuesday night and I'm so mixed on this game, in many ways I loved it but at the same time it frustrated me beyond words. While back tracking and exploring are a key component of the experience and something I typically love it just irritated me in this game compared to other titles like Metroid, Cave Story and Steamworld Dig. I think the monsters were just too aggressive and bulky that having to fight tough enemies all the time wore me down, like in Metroid you can one shot them or ignore them but here you had to take your time or end up dying which I did a lot! Sure the save points were decently placed but the constant struggle to push forward was annoying, especially if you went the wrong way. The bosses were also tough in the old school style of having to remember patterns which I did mostly enjoy. I got close a few times to just putting the game down out of frustration but I'm glad I stuck with it. 

Pokemon Ultra Sun - Last night I decided to just blitz through until it was finished, I have some post game I might do but for now I'm happy with ending it here. The main reason I picked up the game was for my living Pokedex which is now basically up to date as all I need to do is evolve one and then I'm just missing two events, one old one and one that hasn't happened as yet. It's a solid game but not unique enough from the originals which made it feel rather grindy, especially as most of the new content was in the back half of the game. I adored the original Sun/Moon and this play through has made me question my love of the originals instead of enhancing it unfortunately :(. Annoyingly my Pokemon Bank subscription has expired so I can't move my living dex over as yet as I'm not buying that again until Pokemon Switch is around the corner. 

Final Team

Hawlucha
Lantern
Leafeon
lycanroc - Dusk form
Mudsdale
Incineroar

The team was pretty poor tbh as it was slow and frail but it could hit like a truck when needed, it helps I like most of these Pokemon though. Mudsdale is by far my favourite Pokemon introduced this generation as I love him soooo much lol. I used him on my original play through and I had to use him again here, he's just so bulky and hard hitting! 

What's Next?

Lego City Undercover - The last of my already purchased Switch titles which I'll jump into this week I'd expect. 

3DS - Im thinking of finally trying out Code Name Steam but my ds/3ds back log is huge so who knows what I'll pull off the shelf. 

Preorders - My only active one is Darkest Dungeon (13th April) but I'm debating ordering Owl Boy and a physical copy of SteamWorld Dig 2. Yonder, Max and the brotherhood and Runbow are also in consideration.

@Real_Random You seem to have some new additions to? :P

I'm really enjoying Fifa on my Switch. I just wish it were possible to invite friends to play against, rather than playing against strangers online. This is also the first time I've really tried FUT, but while I get why most people think it's the best feature, I find it frustrating and to me it seems more enjoyabel to just play online seasons...

@Ashez I've picked up resident evil revelations and enjoyed it, the boat was creepy and the story was well thought out, everything made sense. I also picked up World conqueror X as I loved  the series on my phone. I haven't played Kirby yet, but if it's like the demo it will be easy and probably boring 

Edited by Real_Random
9 hours ago, Jens said:

I'm really enjoying Fifa on my Switch. I just wish it were possible to invite friends to play against, rather than playing against strangers online. This is also the first time I've really tried FUT, but while I get why most people think it's the best feature, I find it frustrating and to me it seems more enjoyabel to just play online seasons...

I've played it for the 5-10 hour mark according to my profile, I enjoy it enough but it's purely a "party" game for me. 

2 hours ago, Real_Random said:

@Ashez I've picked up resident evil revelations and enjoyed it, the boat was creepy and the story was well thought out, everything made sense. I also picked up World conqueror X as I loved  the series on my phone. I haven't played Kirby yet, but if it's like the demo it will be easy and probably boring 

That's the one that was originally on the 3DS right? I've never actually played a resident evil game (I tried RE4 on the Wii but I couldn't get on with the controls). Can't say I know anything about the army game lol. 

Okay Lego City Undercover is pretty awesome! The references are done so well and I've laughed out loud multiple times in the first three chapters (It helps two of those are based on two of my favourite films). I really hope this level of enjoyment continues for the whole game. 

Gameplay wise it's your typical lego game stuff which I did stop enjoying (The Tolkien and DC games are crap on 3DS imo) but in this format I'm having a lot more fun with it. 

It seems to run okay with the odd stutter but it's a very good looking game imo, the load times aren't that bad either but the original load up time can take a a little while. Disappointed I missed this on the WiiU yet I'm happy I waited, especially as it seems to run better on the Switch compared to the WiiU reviews I remember.