Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Nintendo

Ashez

3 hours ago, Real_Random said:

@Ashez I'm loving wolfenstein, although it has a motion blur and there is a bug where the left controller doesn't work in the menus 

From one review I saw a system reboot fixes the controller issue iirc, I leave mine in sleep mode so I have to reboot it now and then, Fifa is one game I had issues with until full rebooting (it repeatedly froze at the login screen I think). 

I still really want to play Doom and Skyrim but I'm scared to pull the trigger now as so far they've stuck at £40-45 but I've waited this long that if I cave I know they'll go on sale the next week lol. Ys Xiii is one I'm considering though as it looks really good but it appears to have a small print run as I'm already seeing places sell out :/. I don't like spending £45 on a game I'm not 100% on liking. 

@Ashez yes, big fan of warriors game. Didn't know shining resonance has a demo. From what I saw in game play videos it's not like a warriors game but like xenoblade or the final fantasy. Not my style.

Fortnite is funnier when you play with other people, but I'm not gonna play it again until they add gyro aim. But if you want we can play someday. 

1 hour ago, zaangie said:

@Ashez yes, big fan of warriors game. Didn't know shining resonance has a demo. From what I saw in game play videos it's not like a warriors game but like xenoblade or the final fantasy. Not my style.

Fortnite is funnier when you play with other people, but I'm not gonna play it again until they add gyro aim. But if you want we can play someday. 

That's how it appears in the trailers tbf as the screen is pretty busy but I ensure you it's nothing like Xenoblade. To me the combat screamed of Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors as you have a weak and strong attack as well as specials.  I'd give the demo a try at least mate :)

I'll keep that in mind, cheers @zaangie :)

6 hours ago, Ashez said:

That's how it appears in the trailers tbf as the screen is pretty busy but I ensure you it's nothing like Xenoblade. To me the combat screamed of Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors as you have a weak and strong attack as well as specials.  I'd give the demo a try at least mate :)

I'll keep that in mind, cheers @zaangie :)

I'll give it a try then 😁

Edited by zaangie

What I've Been Playing

It's a new month and July saw me damage a decent chunk of my back log so let's see what I've been playing :). 

GBA

Justice League Heroes The Flash - This game was included in the GBA lot I mentioned I bought last update which also included Lion King and Go! Go! Beckham. This was one of the main reason I bought it though as one of my collecting goals is to get every DC Comics game on an Nintendo system, combing my two loves if you like. The added bonus about this Flash game is it's made by Wayforward who have an excellent library of games they've made so I knew at worst this would be decent which it is. It's a topish down best em up with the main gimmick being you can slow down time and race between enemies by pressing A which is incredibly satisfying, you know in the Arkham games when you chain a combo and Batman jumps around the group, it's kinda like that in feeling but in a 2.5D button masher, it's just fun to use. Unfortunately though it is just a button masher with a dodgy camera but it's fun enough while it lasts, the writing especially is on point with the animated series so that's a bonus. The game only has 12 stages but some of the bosses can be pretty tough, with the electric woman and the first part of the Zoom battle coming to mind. My only real complaint would be to show the slowing down time effect they vibrate the screen which can be kind of hard on the eyes, I got a headache after playing it either way. I know Rocksteady are rumoured to be making a Superman game but a proper Flash game would be legit! That reminds me of this cancelled Flash game. 

GameCube 

007 Nightfire - Finally finished it off and it's safe to say the final three levels took a lot longer than I anticipated as the difficulty and level length really ramps up in those final 4 levels. Or I say difficulty but I mean cheapness as it's just less ammo, crappier guns at times and bullshit check points so if you die you have to play a decent sized chunk again, plus at the respawn you have the same health you had the first time you got to said check point. I'm fine with difficulty but I always hate when short games get cheap towards the end simply to elongate the play time, it's just annoying lol. Tbf it's not that bad once you've memorized a few things like where to go and who appears where but I found it slightly frustrating. Like the last level had you floating in space and the controls were awful, it only took like three attempts to beat it though but it felt unneeded. Nightfire was okay but Agent Under Fire is the better game imo. 

Switch 

Owlboy - First things first this game is beautiful pixel art, sure it's been over done in recent years but this is stunning. The game is like a puzzle platformer but you fly around as an owl and you can carry people and objects to help you explore somewhat like a Metroidvania, for example early on you carry a bloke with a gun so it turns into a twin stick shooter as you fly around shooting stuff. While it is a platformer it is story driven and the opening is pretty sad hitting you right in the feels while also having its own unique charm that makes you want to play on, the story is just done really well and is excellent throughout. The gameplay has little changes here and there that really keep it fresh like you have a few stealth sections sprinkled in and the boss fights are extremely fun to play, the game also has dungeons which are great to explore but as there is no map it can get frustrating, especially if you miss something or get caught out by a puzzle, for example I missed something in the first dungeon which had me stuck longer than I'd like to admit lol. The soundtrack however is simply spectacular as it suits the game so well and really adds to the drama/emotion/suspense of every scene, it's just incredible and I've found myself listening to it pretty often on Youtube! It's not perfect as I think the controls can be a tad finicky and the carry mechanic can be awkward to use but all in all Owlboy is a wonderful adventure that lasts around 8 hours. I'll admit it's a little short but it's so fast paced you feel like you're achieving a lot with every playing session, maybe it could have been a tad longer but I have no complaints as I appreciate short games. 

Mario Kart 8D - Ended up doing the every track race with frantic weapons with my brother which was a lot of fun even if I wiped the floor with him lol (It takes just under 3 hours!). Any way my main reason for mentioning this is because the developer said to keep an eye out for new updates which has me super excited as I'd love some more track DLC. The game has a lot of content but I've wanted more for ages and it makes sense to add upon MK8D since its basically the WiiU game and I hoped for DLC by now. The BOTW DLC is neat but I'm hoping we get a lot more, with the amount the game has sold adding more tracks is a no brainer! I am currently still chipping away at the 200cc three star cup completion goal but 200cc destroys me! 

Darkest Dungeon - The 75+ hour journey has came to an end as I pushed through the final two bosses and the surprise extra boss. I completed all of the goals and quests which is something I don't tend to do but I just love this game, in theory I could continue as I have two buildings left to unlock but that would mean grinding for 1000 of one collectable which wouldn't really take that long but I don't think it's worth it. However the PC version recently got some more DLC so I might 100% it once that hits the Switch as it will give some purpose to the grinding. This is seriously up their with BOTW, Mario and MK8D as the best games on the console. 

DS

Wario Master Of Disguise - This game reviewed terribly and hasn't been spoken of too fondly but it always looked decent to me in gameplay videos, you know sometimes a bad game can be a good game. It's been one of those games that's been on the shelf for years as I've been unsure on trying it out but I've obviously finally got around to giving it a whirl. Well let's just say the reviews are right as this isn't good at all, it could have been okay but some of the decisions the developers made were awful as it's crammed with DS era gimmicks. The first big issue is it's touch screen controlled and you have to draw things to make Wario change costume and attack which is clunky and hardly works, if these were buttons instead the game would instantly be better. Then you have the overpowering and boring story interrupting game play and the fact the platforming isn't even good as the game is full of low ceilings so the jumps are frustrating and even landing on platforms only registers when it feels like. Finally every time you find a chest you have to play some boring touch screen mini game to get the loot, like really boring stuff like those slidey picture puzzles or tracing an image. I only made it through the first two levels but I can see the issues only getting worse as the game goes on so I've lost all interest in this title, it's a shame as I like Wario but this is an example of a game being ruined by gimmicks. 

The Legend Of Zelda Phantom Hourglass - I've a long and storied history with this game as I've tried to beat it like 4 times but the Ocean dungeon drives me crazy, for anyone who doesn't know you have to go through the same main dungeon like 5 or 6 times but each time it adds some more floors, oh and you have a time limit! I'm sure you can see why it's a frustrating nightmare but as I enjoy the game it calls me back now and again. My issue is I'll always forget my way in the main dungeon and run out of time but I decided to try it again. I loaded my save file up to see where I last dropped it before starting again and after working out where I was and checking a walkthrough I realised I was pretty close to the end. With that information I decided it wasn't worth starting again so using a walkthrough I beat the stage of the dungeon i was in as I couldn't remember the path since I've not played it in years (the game has no record on my 3DS so I must have last played it on my standard DS!). At the time of writing I've got to the next collection of islands which according to the walkthrough is the last section before returning to the main dungeon for the final time, as I'm writing this in advance of posting I might add more below. The DS Zelda games are pretty unique as they're completely touch screen controlled and I've got to be honest it works pretty well, my main complaint is sitting comfy as holding the system and stylus can be annoying and your hand can often block the screen which sucks, you can however open up the map on the bottom screen and write/draw notes which is really cool. The reason for returning is I saw an interesting debate on Twitter surrounding the DS games and it got me in the mood to return, I was originally just going to jump into the sequel (Spirit Tracks) as I've never played it before but it apparently fixes the main issues I have with PHG, however as I'm so close to the end of PHG I think I'll finish that first and play Spirit Tracks some other time as the DS Zelda's are the only ones I've not beaten DS onwards, the original and GBC ones haven't aged well imo but I do intend to play Minish Cap at some point as that looks like an ace GBA game (I have it on WiiU VC). It's a few days later and I've finished the game, the last time I dropped it all I had left was one dungeon, the final return to the main dungeon and the final boss battles so I'm pretty frustrated I stopped playing all them years ago but I'm ecstatic to finally have this game completed. During the original play through and this return though I must have got a lot better at Zelda as that main dungeon wasn't anywhere near as bad as I remember, sure it's still frustrating but I've obviously learnt a lot as in that time period I've basically played every Zelda lol. I know I'm writing a lot about this old game but it's reinforced my love of BOTW as so many of the Zelda staples that irritate me just aren't there, BOTW is far from perfect but as Zelda games go it is sensational. 

3DS

Splinter Cell 3D - I'm not sure why but action games are really appealing to me again for the first time in years, I assume it's down to replaying some of my old favourites recently like the 007 games. Anyway I saw Splinter Cell 3D on my shelf which I hadn't tried yet so why not, after all its another series I liked during my PS2 days. From my research this seems to be a port of the third game in the series and it's on other consoles like the PS2/3, thankfully it's not one I've played before however as I believe I played the first one back in the day. For a port from a console it's actually not bad at all, the graphics are decent enough but extremely dark and the controls are okay using the thumb stick to move, the face buttons to control the camera (sucks for shot aiming though) and the shoulder triggers to use weapons, however that's my main issue with the game as to pull your weapon you have to tap the touch screen instead of just pressing shoot which is a tad cumbersome, as this was a early 3DS game I guess they packed in the gimmicks. Level wise they're pretty big with plenty of exploring needed to finish the objectives which can be a tad annoying as the map is shit but it's manageable I suppose, imo it would be a lot better if the map was on the lower screen instead of the weapon stuff as you need to check it fairly often. I'll admit I'm getting lost and dying a lot which is fine but the load times run slightly longer than you'd like which can make repeated deaths in tricky sections frustrating but the save stations are pretty regular so at least it's got that going for it. The game has ten missions and it took me just over eleven hours to beat it, I'm actually pretty mixed on this title as the story was boring and it's incredibly frustrating due to random difficulty spikes but when it's good it's a lot of fun, I had times when I wanted to throw my 3DS at the wall but I kept playing, the reviews I've seen are between 4 and 6 out of ten which I think are fair. This is a game I think I saw through to the end due to writing about it here so this process is really inspiring me to stick with games i'm iffy on, sure it didn't work with Wario but that game is completely flawed. 

Game Of The Year So Far

I've decided I want to keep track of this as it'll be interesting to see how my views and opinions change between now and the new year. I'll be doing two lists, list one will be my top 5 new games of the year while list two will be older games I've played for the first time this year, however I'll be doing it by Nintendo systems so I'd count for example LA Noire as a new game as it was a new Nintendo release. It gets messy when a physical release happens after the digital release however so I'll be listings them by what I played, for example I played Steamworld Dig 2 digitally last year but I have the physical release which released this year so it's going on the older list. 

New Releases

1. Darkest Dungeon 
2. Dragon Quest Builders
3. Owlboy
4. Axiom Verge

First Time Played This Year

1. Steamworld Dig 2 - Switch
2. Pokemon Ultra Sun - 3DS
3. Fire Emblem Warriors - Switch
4. LA Noire - Switch
5. Code Name Steam - 3DS

It feels like I've played the Switch loads this year but I've just played a handful of games a lot while picking up some of the older titles like Lego City Undercover. The second list is missing a lot of what I've played like Gun, the 007 games and Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon but I want to keep it to games I've played for the first time this year, if I'm replaying a game it's obvious I rate it lol. I think that's right release date wise as it gets confusing but now that's done it'll be easy to edit each month/update. A honourable mention would have to go to YuGiOh Duel Links as it's ace but on mobile but I have no idea when I started playing it but it was after November, not even sure if FMM deserves a mention though :p.

Recent Pick Ups

Absolutely nothing was added to my collection this month, new release wise nothing really tempted me due to having OwlBoy and Darkest Dungeon so I decided to wait. I've browsed Ebay and a few game stores a couple of times but nothing came of these searches, I almost got a few GameCube games though but they were in awful condition so I passed. August has a few releases I'm interested in however so I'm sure I'll have some new things in the next update and with a Nintendo Direct rumoured for this month who knows what will happen! 

2 hours ago, Ashez said:

Agent Under Fire is the better game imo. 

This, Luigi’s mansion and Super Mario sunshine were my three favourite GameCube games!

15 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

This, Luigi’s mansion and Super Mario sunshine were my three favourite GameCube games!

I'm not a fan of Luigi's Mansion tbh, admittedly I've never played the first one but the sequel on the 3DS bored me to tears. I think I got to the last mansion on it but I rarely enjoyed it. The humour and Luigi were a highlight but the game play just isn't for me. 

Mario Sunshine is great but like many I do think it's the black sheep of the series, I do have very fond memories of it even if it was a tad odd lol. I'm actually hoping the HD remake rumours are true as it's a game I'd love to revisit with some modern tweaks. 

As for the Bond games Agent Under Fire is great, as I revealed in my last update I've picked up Rogue Agent so I'm looking forward to playing that as I remember loving it on the PS2. I'm also on the look out for From Russia With Love as I've only played the PSP version of that and I remember enjoying it. 

1 minute ago, Rob2017 said:

Mario Kart DD was my fave GC game

You posted that just as I was about to write it! I adore Mario Kart Double Dash but I think MK8D might have over taken it now. 

Metroid was pretty sick too actually, and I’ve got a soft spot for rogue squadron and it’s sequel rebel strike. 

Did you ever play tales of symphonia on the GC @Ashez?

Just now, Nucleus said:

Metroid was pretty sick too actually, and I’ve got a soft spot for rogue squadron and it’s sequel rebel strike. 

Did you ever play tales of symphonia on the GC @Ashez?

I never played Metroid until last year or maybe the year before on the WiiU (The digital Wii remake) and I bloody loved it! I was hooked for the entire play through and now I'd class Metroid as one of my favourite series (Have you seen how many Metroidvania's I talk about here? I'm slightly obsessed)! I got Super Metroid on the WiiU VC on sale I think and the game instantly blew me away, after that I played the GBA games but I was always hesitant of the Prime games as I'm not really a FPS fan, however Prime 1 is an incredible experience! Unfortunately the late game is a tad annoying as it's crammed with required padding but it could be worse. After Prime 1 I played Prime 2 which didn't hit the same spot for me and I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much, I beat it but it just wasn't as special (The light world dark world stuff was meh imo). I've not played Prime 3 as yet but I do intend to get to it (My Wii/U aren't set up the best atm) but I'm expecting a HD trilogy remake to be announced soonish due to Prime 4 being announced for the Switch. 

I'm not a Star Wars fan but I do have the N64 one which is okay, Star Wars wise I am after the Force Unleashed games on the Wii though as I remember enjoying the first. I'm sceptical it might be ruined by Wii gimmicks but I want to give it a try either way. It's like £1.50 at Cex so hopefully one day I'll find a store with it in stock as that's a no risk purchase. 

Nope, heard great things but as a kid I hated RPGs outside of Pokemon as it's only in the more recent years I've started to appreciate them. I am however fussy with what RPG's are for me like I love the Dragon Quest series but games like Final Fantasy don't really appeal, like I tried that Octopath Traveler demo and I just couldn't get into it, it's an odd one. I've never played a Final Fantasy though so maybe I'm missing something but even Chrono Trigger I was iffy on. 

Yeah the first prime on GC is the only one I’ve played to be honest, thought it was fantastic.

Ive got both force unleashed on the PlayStation, they suck to be honest. Best Star Wars game I’ve ever played is KOTOR. Jedi Knight: Jedi academy is pretty cool actually, can be played as a FPS or not.

Dragon Quest 7: cursed king is one of my all time favourite RPG’s! That along with FF7 and FF10, the former being the RPG which I lost my childhood in lol

If someone asked me for a list of gaming experiences people must try Metroid Prime 1 and Zelda BOTW would likely be my top two, both games just turned me into a little kid again haha. 

I just liked being evil I guess lol! Star Wars should be completely up my alley but it's a franchise I just don't care about at all. Space stuff is an up hill battle with me though as I'm not really into that, however I do love things with lore, history and a proper world but Star Wars just doesn't hook me. If I listed most the reasons why I love say The Lord Of The Rings most points would work with Star Wars but I have opposite reactions. 

You mean DQ8 ;), DQ7 is Fragments of something or other and is decent but not amazing, DQ8 however is likely my favourite RPG of all time. I played the 3DS remake and again I was hooked start to finish, the characters and story were just excellent. 

Yangus.png

Especially this man, oh how I love Yangus and his awful cockney accent. 

Cor Blimey! lol

The DQ music is also top draw, I love the battle theme. I've played DQ7, 8 and 9 with three more of the DS ones in my back log. They're ones I always debate starting as I know I'll love them but they're some commitment. 

1 minute ago, Ashez said:

If someone asked me for a list of gaming experiences people must try Metroid Prime 1 and Zelda BOTW would likely be my top two, both games just turned me into a little kid again haha. 

I just liked being evil I guess lol! Star Wars should be completely up my alley but it's a franchise I just don't care about at all. Space stuff is an up hill battle with me though as I'm not really into that, however I do love things with lore, history and a proper world but Star Wars just doesn't hook me. If I listed most the reasons why I love say The Lord Of The Rings most points would work with Star Wars but I have opposite reactions. 

You mean DQ8 ;), DQ7 is Fragments of something or other and is decent but not amazing, DQ8 however is likely my favourite RPG of all time. I played the 3DS remake and again I was hooked start to finish, the characters and story were just excellent. 

Yangus.png

Especially this man, oh how I love Yangus and his awful cockney accent. 

Cor Blimey! lol

The DQ music is also top draw, I love the battle theme. I've played DQ7, 8 and 9 with three more of the DS ones in my back log. They're ones I always debate starting as I know I'll love them but they're some commitment. 

DQ8! That’s the one. I must have committed hundreds of hours into this, I remember completing the dragovian trials for the first time and was proper buzzing lol 😝 countless hours were lost hopelessly looking for metal slimes only for the little bastards to flee, and how I loved dressing Jessica up in a sexy bunny outfit 😂

added 0 minutes later

What was the jester called again? Had some weird ass name

3 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

DQ8! That’s the one. I must have committed hundreds of hours into this, I remember completing the dragovian trials for the first time and was proper buzzing lol 😝 countless hours were lost hopelessly looking for metal slimes only for the little bastards to flee, and how I loved dressing Jessica up in a sexy bunny outfit 😂

added 0 minutes later

What was the jester called again? Had some weird ass name

Grinding has never bothered me in DQ, the excitement of finding a metal slime was enough to keep it engaging lol. The trick is to use skills that crit or can damage them, aimlessly trying to kill them will do nothing haha. In the 3DS remakes all monsters are on screen so wondering around for slimes isn't too bad but I dunno how the PS2 original handled it. Unfortunately Dragon Quest games don't sell well in the West :(, juice DQ8 only sold well because it shipped with a free Final Fantasy demo or something! 

Dhoulmagus I assume you mean? 

3 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Grinding has never bothered me in DQ, the excitement of finding a metal slime was enough to keep it engaging lol. The trick is to use skills that crit or can damage them, aimlessly trying to kill them will do nothing haha. In the 3DS remakes all monsters are on screen so wondering around for slimes isn't too bad but I dunno how the PS2 original handled it. Unfortunately Dragon Quest games don't sell well in the West :(, juice DQ8 only sold well because it shipped with a free Final Fantasy demo or something! 

Dhoulmagus I assume you mean? 

Yeah they were never on screen on the ps2, just random if you found one or not. I’ve still got the strategy guide somewhere il Lyra and hunt it out. 

Dhoulmagus! That’s the badger. Creepy sceptre wielding psychopath 

I'm not sure if random encounters will impact my enjoyment but that's something I look forward to when I play one of the older ones. Nice! 

He was a very entertaining villain, seriously if you have access to a 3DS I'd recommend playing the remake haha, if I could put two games on Switch I'd pick Arkham collection and DQ8 for sure, it's beautiful as is on the 3DS but HD would be 😮

11 hours ago, Ashez said:

Smash Bros Direct on the 8th!

I know it should excite me but I'm slightly cautious as I can't think of anything major that they could add that deserves a whole direct dedicated to it

4 minutes ago, Real_Random said:

I know it should excite me but I'm slightly cautious as I can't think of anything major that they could add that deserves a whole direct dedicated to it

Agreed, I'm disappointed it's a smash direct and not a regular one, especially after E3 focusing on it so much. For it to be a direct I expect

1. One big character reveal - I'm leaning to someone from ARMS I think

2. Online starts next month and this is an online game so maybe the service news. 

3. A online demo like Tennis/Arms/Splatoon. 

4. Modes, I'm praying for a story. 

@Nucleus this popped up on my suggested last night and I had to share it! The Lion King at AGDQ! It's so awesome yet so depressing seeing it destroyed lol. 

Anyone else watch any speed runs? I never used to but this year I watched some SGDQ as they featured a few games I love and it was pretty fascinating. 

20 minutes ago, Ashez said:

@Nucleus this popped up on my suggested last night and I had to share it! The Lion King at AGDQ! It's so awesome yet so depressing seeing it destroyed lol. 

Anyone else watch any speed runs? I never used to but this year I watched some SGDQ as they featured a few games I love and it was pretty fascinating. 

That guy definitely needs to get a new hobby!

24 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I got a bit obsessed last year watching the Mario 64 speed runs. It is ‘my game’, in that it was my fave game of my gaming peak. Yet to see someone utterly destroy it amazes me.

7 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

That guy definitely needs to get a new hobby!

This is nothing compared to others lol, people speed run DQ8!! The world record is just under 12 hours! 

3 minutes ago, Rob2017 said:

I got a bit obsessed last year watching the Mario 64 speed runs. It is ‘my game’, in that it was my fave game of my gaming peak. Yet to see someone utterly destroy it amazes me.

Yeah it's so much better watching a game you're invested in for sure. 

I watched these recently and my jaw was on the floor the entire time

Mario Odyssey

Devil May Cry (Original)

Batman Arkham Asylum

TLOZ Majora's Mask

I think I like watching optimised runs more than glitch fests though. 

I remember watching someone speed run pokemon blue/red and they managed to do it in 1 hour 45 minutes because of all the glitches the game had 😂

1 hour ago, Nucleus said:

I remember watching someone speed run pokemon blue/red and they managed to do it in 1 hour 45 minutes because of all the glitches the game had 😂

I want to watch some Pokemon ones but longer runs don't typically keep my interest lol. 

18 minutes ago, Rob2017 said:

How long is the Odyssey speedrun?

This is the one I watched 

So 1:03.58 but

5 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

1 hour 1 minute

This is the world record