Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Nintendo

Ashez

13 minutes ago, Ashez said:

True, it's on my list either way. As much as I love Pokemon I can't watch the anime for some reason, yet I can watch Yugioh and enjoy it which I never liked as a kid :s 

I couldn’t watch it now, but I preferred yugioh over Pokemon. The Pokemon anime was way too cheesy for my liking, even as a kid. The only thing about yugioh was the lack of video games based on it which killed my interest unfortunately. They released duelist of the roses on the PS2 when I was about 13/14 which reignited my love for the franchise (rock hard game might i add) but then nothing major since 

@Nucleusseriously download Yugioh Duel Links on your phone/tablet now. It's fantastic and I've got hours out of it without spending a penny. It's a fantastic free to play game. Game wise I had a GBA one I loved. 

Talking of Pokemon hacks looking into a few, have you tried Pokemon Outlaw? It sounds interesting. 

Will give it a go!

Ive not tried Outlaw, but I have heard of it. It’s meant to be a bit of darker sort of story iirc, and not the child friendly one we’ve come to know

Let you know what you think! I'm not a mobile game fan FMM aside but Yugioh Duel Links is awesome. 

Yeah that's what I've read, it looks an interesting take. 

I've just ordered a physical copy of Pokemon Flora Sky :o. Only around £3.80 or something around there, the same seller has others like Ash Gray but as I've never used the site before I'm starting small lol. It's only Aliexpress like so nothing that hidden but I'd rather risk £3.80 than buy a load of them haha. Now to wait a month for it to arrive haha

Just now, Nucleus said:

I’ve downloaded it, I’ll give it a go at some point tomorrow.

Let me know about flora sky, it’s not one I’ve tried

Looking forward to it! I was glued to it when I first got it now I jump in and out of it all the time. 

Will do, i know I've played at least some of it before and I really liked it but this was years ago. I tried it before Pokemon B/W released as this game includes some of those that were announced as B/W Pokemon before it released iirc. 

It's impressive and you can't knock it, not sure what I think of it though lol. I hate how it looks like a shop, I understand a collection that size is limiting but there is hardly any personality on show.

This one has me pretty jealous, he's just moved house though and is doing a series on building his new room currently. 

Check out @NintendoUKVS’s Tweet:

Smash hype! Surprised this is the last one before release but 40 mins is beefy! 

I had intended to post my monthly update early due to FMM but with this news I'll hold out considering I'm sure this will have something worth discussing. Not sure if anyone cares but oh well 😛

A forty min update? Blimey.

I have never owned any of the Smash games. Multiplayer fighting just doesn’t appeal to me. It’s weird as I’m Team Nintendo. Does it have much of a one on one career story, ala Tekken, usually? 

Just now, Rob2017 said:

A forty min update? Blimey.

I have never owned any of the Smash games. Multiplayer fighting just doesn’t appeal to me. It’s weird as I’m Team Nintendo. Does it have much of a one on one career story, ala Tekken, usually? 

The Wii one did but it wasn't the best, however the WiiU one didn't as the develop said what's the point as people will just YouTube it. However Smash Switch had a hidden mode in the last reveal which will hopefully be a story mode but we'll find out Thursday. 

Smash wise I'm the same kinda, I love smash, it's an amazing game and the hype around a new one gets me super excited and invested. Yet I hardly played the WiiU one due to having no-one to play with and the single player being online based so as excited as I am for Smash I'm also not sure if I'm even getting it.

If this new mode is a decent single player campaign I'll be very much wanting to get it though, I'm just not someone who's interested in online gaming and my living room multiplayer days are behind me. I play MK8D alot with my brothers but they're always less interested in Smash for some reason. 

Pretty much the same situation then. Playing online doesn’t appeal massively. Tried it with MK and got a bit frustrated getting blue shelled by shit players. I have a weird desire to buy an arcade fighter recently - I think it is the effect of the recent Soul Calibur press and harkenings back to my youth in arcades. 

In terms of AAA, we only really have this, Metroid, and Animal Crossing in the pipeline?

25 minutes ago, Rob2017 said:

Pretty much the same situation then. Playing online doesn’t appeal massively. Tried it with MK and got a bit frustrated getting blue shelled by shit players. I have a weird desire to buy an arcade fighter recently - I think it is the effect of the recent Soul Calibur press and harkenings back to my youth in arcades. 

In terms of AAA, we only really have this, Metroid, and Animal Crossing in the pipeline?

Top my head 2019 looks excellent

Proper Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, MarioU Delux, Dragon Quest Builders 2, hopefully DQ XI, Metroid, Bayonetta, Luigi's Mansion 3, Town (By Pokemon guys), Animal Crossing and that's just what we know of now. Then you have what others bring to the system. 

Edited by Ashez

You going to bother with Mario deluxe? I played it a bit on WiiU but it was a bit of a naff time in my life so didn’t get a huge amount of play. Seemed pretty good in the bits I played.

AC, Luigi, Yoshi, and probs Deluxe are the only ones I will probably get.

1 minute ago, Rob2017 said:

You going to bother with Mario deluxe? I played it a bit on WiiU but it was a bit of a naff time in my life so didn’t get a huge amount of play. Seemed pretty good in the bits I played.

AC, Luigi, Yoshi, and probs Deluxe are the only ones I will probably get.

Na, I beat it on WiiU so I don't see the point. I do love 2D Mario and I didn't actually play the Luigi mode but as I have it I won't be double dipping. 

I've never played an Animal Crossing, Yoshi is one I'll get but I doubt I'll be in a rush though and I'm not a fan of Luigi's Mansion games. Dark Moon bored me to tears and I never finished it. 

Fire Emblem, Pokemon and Dragon Quest are three of my favourite series in recent years so I'm super excited for them. I think Metroid would also be picked up as that's another series I've really enjoyed in recent years, Prime wise I've played the first 2 and I want to play the third but I'm waiting to see if a Switch remake happens first. Unsure if only 1/3 being unplayed would tempt me to buy it though lol. Depends if it's motion controlled or usual I guess, I played 1+2 on the Wii and the controls were okay but I'd rather a proper controller I think. 

We'll get a direct in January with more information though I expect. 

What I've Been Playing

Smash Direct - What did I just watch! What a mind boggling direct! I'll be spoiler free for now so the first two characters they revealed were cool but I'm not that fussed as one was obvious (echo) and the other is a character I've never liked the design of. The surprise reveal however is crazy and had me in absolute stitches, just utter madness and it's free DLC if you register the game by a certain time. They also revealed there will be five extra DLC characters over the next year but no details were given outside of price. As for Spirits mode I was gutted by it at first as while deep it just looks like a challenge mode but it's implementation is pretty cool I guess. However the direct ended with an adventure mode trailer which was awesome, now I need information on this but as this is the last direct I guess we'll have to wait for reviews. It's certainly peaked my interest up a notch and the adventure mode is a massive push in the I want this direction. 

Tree house Live - I've only watched little bits but the streams audio was awful to start with and they made Pokemon Let's Go look even worse than I expected. It's such a shame this isn't a proper Pokemon game as the designs and world look excellent. Just the idea of catching stuff to level up instead of battling sounds terrible and it's so dumbed down. I didn't bother watching any of the Yoshi stuff as it's just Yoshi lol. 

The Nintendo financials - Nintendo have released them and boy they are impressive! The console has now out sold the GameCube with the Switch creeping close to 23m units sold, for comparison the WiiU sold 14m units in its life time and the Switch is only two years old! Hopefully Let's Go Pokemon and Smash will see the system smash this holiday season as well. As for the games Zelda, Mario and Mario Kart have all broke 10m units sold! With 8 other titles selling over a million! MK8D is near 12m in fact which is mental as the Switch port has almost out sold the amount of WiiU's it possibility could have been on last gen, hell with a good Xmas MK8D could smash 14m. The 3DS and mini consoles also seem to be doing well considering which is nice to see. However for the Switch to hit their sales target for this physical year Nintendo need to sell 14m more Switch's by March which seems mental even with how big Pokemon and Smash are, especially as it's not a proper Pokemon. 

Switch 

Okami HD - I finished the game in just under 28 hours and all I can say is it's a wonderful journey. Admittedly the middle third feels a little out of place and it gets too chatty at times but it's still intriguing and worth pushing through to get to the main plot. The story is excellent with plenty of laughs, emotion and seriousness that can really pull you in if you allow it, a brief summary would be the first section is to take down a big bad, the middle section sees you take this almost spin off type journey to deal with another big bad before the story returns somewhat to the first section as you learn the makings of the story and the true big bad. I'd say the only knock on the story is the first big bad is built up really well but then it ends and it's on to the next battle, the game genuinely feels like it could end two or three times before it actually does. Thankfully not much really felt like padding though as all the twists and turns were interesting enough to keep me playing, one aspect of this is because the characters are really good and you meet many along the way. Gameplay wise this is Zelda just without Link and the later dungeons are a lot better than the earlier ones, granted nothing is that taxing but it's all really fun, however instead of finding items like Link you find brush techniques which function in a similar way like one technique allows you to make bombs and another turns day to night. The brush was my biggest concern before playing but instead of getting in the way it really does add to the experience while helping the game feel unique, I am however delighted I decided against playing the Wii version as I'm sure motion controls would hinder the experience. All in all I loved my time with Okami and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes this type of game, especially fans of old school 3D Zelda like Ocarina Of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. The final point I'd like to make is the game is very easy as I didn't die once during my save but I personally didn't mind this as the game does have some challenge but you get so many items death isn't really a concern. I paid £30 for this as a physical release but I think it's £15ish on the eshop and for that money you can't go wrong. 

Darkest Dungeon - The DLC I've been banging on about finally released this month and it's really good yet I have mixed feelings on it. In short the main part of this DLC is an endless mode where you fight wave after wave of enemy with bosses every few waves, you have limited resources and the idea is to get as far as you can dealing with the usual mechanics of the game. I did the first two tutorial type levels and all was exciting so I jumped into my first official run and to my surprise I just kept going and going! I had a lot of luck with dice rolls and it was close at points but I managed a score of 232 which I was really happy with. However on return tries I was struggling to break 60 which was getting rather frustrating as these aren't quick runs. It was then I noticed I'd unlocked an "endgame condition" for these endless runs and after some research I discovered that once you break 200 in the endless mode it adds stat modifiers to make the mode a lot harder, things like the AI do more damage, you can heal less and stuff of that nature. They did this due to stupidly high runs in the 1000s when the mode released on PC and they wanted to make it more challenging, however this means I've screwed myself with my first run. You see I need 10 items you get from one special boss on these runs which I believe is around fight 70, if I'd known this I'd have stopped my first run way before 200 as now I have to grind really hard runs to attempt to get these items and so far I'm struggling to get passed the first real boss of the run which is around 50 kills. I appreciate it's added more challenge as it's the challenge I like but the grind and time commitment to these runs isn't small and the thought of trying to get 9 more of this item in these conditions suck. It also doesn't help if you die mid run your characters are unavailable for two in game weeks and your held items get locked behind another boss fight to get them back, admittedly it's not a hard one but these are hoops I could do without. Admittedly I'm writing this after three tough to take losses so maybe I'm salty and I'll be up to it in the future but currently I'm annoyed lol. The DLC is well worth the money though as it's a £5 I think but I got it for free due to having a Switch physical copy, I just wish I knew about these end game conditions. 

Snes Classic

Metroid Spooky Mission - After enjoying the Pokemon rom hack/fan game last month I went looking for other popular rom hack series and to my delight I found Metroid has a rom hacking community. With that knowledge I downloaded the two most popular for Zero Mission (GBA) and threw them onto the Snes Classic. Spooky Mission involves finding three items and centres around Halloween, in fairness I didn't intend this coincidence but I'll take it lol. It's a short game at around 1-2 hours but I enjoyed it and it scratched that Metroid itch I've had since playing the originals. The difficulty at the start is tough as health drops didn't seem that common but it handled progression well imo as a few times I found myself stuck so I back tracked to find another route, basically your typical Metroid experience. Tbh it's just a short and enjoyable Metroid hack so there's not much more I can say about it.

3DS

Super Mario 3D Land - Amazingly I'd never played this Mario game before but it's been in my collection since before I even got my 3DS as it's my little brothers copy. I suppose I played Mario 3D World on the WiiU so I never saw the point in it's 3DS version. However a Mario urge took over me and I decided now was as good a point as any so I popped it in my system. Firstly the 3D effect is really well done since this is a 3D game in a 2D game style and it does okay at pulling this off, especially for the system but as a 2D Mario fan and after Odyssey I'm not sure how I feel about it. The levels are short and sweet which is ideal for a handheld title and the normal campaign is very short, yet while I enjoyed the game it just never hit that spot for me. It's a Mario game so it'll always be good and worth playing but I have fonder memories of 3D World than I do of Land after playing it, I've since read reviews and apparently Land becomes better with repeated play throughs and in the bonus worlds (previous level remixes though) but it never really gripped me unfortunately and if I'm grinding in a Mario game I'd rather be moon hunting in Odyssey. It's one I actually regret not playing at the time as I know if it was new I'd be more interested in jumping deeper into it. I will say though that the controls just felt off to me and I never really got used to them, the momentum of Mario's jumps and running just felt off which lead to some frustrating deaths due to misplaced jumps, I wouldn't say it gets in the way but it certainly felt odd to me. 

Pokemon Ultra Sun - I can't really say I played it as all I did was download the event code for Zeraora which takes my Pokemon living dex to 806/809!I'm missing the two newly announced ones for Let's Go and Diancie, seriously if anyone has a Diancie to trade hit me up.....Pretty please.

GBA

Lord Of The Rings ROTK - I've been on a Tolkien kick off late and while I have ROTK and The Third Age on GameCube to play I decided to try the GBA version first, I actually played the PS2/GC version back in the day and I loved it but I've never played The Third Age (I really want the GBA version of TTA as it's a strategy RPG like Fire Emblem apparently, while the console version is Final Fantasy-ish I believe). Anyway I expected the GBA version of ROTK to be a cheap cash grab I wouldn't spend much time with but it's done enough to intrigue me, I'm writing this part on Halloween so I'll likely get into this game more in next month's update. It's another game that was included in that GBA lot I've mentioned a lot recently due to playing Lion King 1 1/2, Moto GP and The Flash, Go Go Beckham is the last game of the lot I have to try. I've put a little under 2 hours into it so far so yeah look forward to it next month 😛

Game Of The Year So Far

Spoiler

New Releases

1. Darkest Dungeon 
2. Okami HD
3. Dragon Quest Builders
4. Owlboy
5. Axiom Verge

The first time this list has changed as Okami sneaks into spot 2 completing my game of the year list. I'm not sure I'll be playing anything new this year so this could be the final list but Axiom Verge is there to make up the numbers more than anything. I'm very surprised this list is all third party or indie however but I suppose that shows I've not got any Nintendo games this year, while that might be disappointing to some I've still loved everything I've played so far. It's crazy to think about really as if the WiiU had a year when no Nintendo games interested me I'd literally have nothing to play, even though most my list is indie or ports only Axiom Verge released on the WiiU iirc. Thankfully 2019 looks like my year with hopefully Pokemon, Fire Emblem and two Dragon Quest games, or at least one as Builders 2 has been announced via Nintendo's financial meeting. 

First Time Played This Year

1. Steamworld Dig 2 - Switch
2. Pokemon Ultra Sun - 3DS
3. Fire Emblem Warriors - Switch
4. LA Noire - Switch
5. Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS

We also see the first change here in a while as Mario bumps Code Name Steam off the list, I debated this decision for a while but after looking at what I said about CNS back in May it was clear to me I enjoyed Mario more, even if it didn't hit the Mario sweet spot for me. 

Recent Pick Ups

No new games this month mainly because I wanted to focus on Okami and I expected the Darkest Dungeon DLC to keep me busy longer than it has so far. A have my eye on a few Switch games so I'll hopefully get something in November but I might attempt to wait for Black Friday as you never know (some of the US deals I've seen announced are legit like Starlink for £40). Retro wise I just never went anywhere to find anything so a quiet month really. That doesn't mean I've ordered nothing however as I've pre-ordered a Ridley and Wolf Smash Amiibo and another Pokemon rom hack in Flora Sky which I'll hopefully get soon but it's from China so who knows. Having nothing new now and not wanting Pokemon I'm actually hoping I can use this free period to dive into FMM but we'll see. 

I received a £10 EBay voucher today, I'm not sure if it's for everyone or what as my missus hasn't received one but it might be worth checking your emails. 

Which means I've ordered a RRP £30 Switch game for £14 thanks to the voucher and finding a store selling new copies for £24 and change with free postage. The store I bought it off also has a site and sells on Amazon so it should all be above board, tbh the game is available in a few places for £25 which tempted me but who can knock £14 haha. Should be here sometime next week so the November update will include at least one new game, I've also got a bid active on something else for the GameCube 😛

5 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I really can't decide if this is magic or tragic lol

Live action Pokemon! This is fantastic imo, even though the film will be tragic at best, it opens up the door for someone to do it some proper justice 😛

11 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

Live action Pokemon! This is fantastic imo, even though the film will be tragic at best, it opens up the door for someone to do it some proper justice 😛

The designs are ace yet bizarre lmao. Like I've never really considered the fact Pikachu would be furry lol, the Mr Mine bit was ace and Charizard looked bad ass! The furry Jigglepuff 😂😯😂😯😂

Apparently the game is really good but it's a point and click one so not for me but if anyone can pull this off its Ryan. Well it can't be worse than the Super Mario Bros movie haha. 

2 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

I love the designs! When’s it out?

Summer I think it said :)

You've got to love Pokemon, that first Pokemon Go reveal trailer was so freaking cool and imagining a film like that : o

31 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

I’ve always tried to imagine what a live action Pokemon film would be like! This isn’t what I expected but I’ll take it 

Not sure how you'd do a film unless it was like one region split into four films and base it on badges/E4 but that's some commitment. 

Finally got Pokémon Let's go Pikachu earlier today, haven't played much yet but I'm enjoying it so much! Being able to play it with someone is so awesome so been playing it with my girlfriend. Love the game, and Pokémon in general.

53 minutes ago, Westside said:

Finally got Pokémon Let's go Pikachu earlier today, haven't played much yet but I'm enjoying it so much! Being able to play it with someone is so awesome so been playing it with my girlfriend. Love the game, and Pokémon in general.

I'm so torn on let's go lol, it looks awesome yet boring at the same time. I've watched a decent amount of footage and the on screen Pokemon and riding stuff looks amazing yet the catching and motion controls look iffy haha. 

I've requested it for Xmas as a decent compromise as long as I get it anyway haha

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

I'm so torn on let's go lol, it looks awesome yet boring at the same time. I've watched a decent amount of footage and the on screen Pokemon and riding stuff looks amazing yet the catching and motion controls look iffy haha. 

I've requested it for Xmas as a decent compromise as long as I get it anyway haha

The riding on Pokemon feature is really cool, I didn't watch many videos because I didn't want to spoil anything but in one video I saw, a Charizard appeared and because it was flying in the air the guy had to fly on one of his Pokemon to get it what was really cool I thought. 

I've just beat Brock got my first gym badge. You need either a Water or Grass Pokemon to battle him as they're super effective (think that's to help new players) you can catch Oddish in Viridian Forest or if you have patience you can encounter a Bulbasaur!

13 minutes ago, Westside said:

The riding on Pokemon feature is really cool, I didn't watch many videos because I didn't want to spoil anything but in one video I saw, a Charizard appeared and because it was flying in the air the guy had to fly on one of his Pokemon to get it what was really cool I thought. 

I don't usually watch much but I wanted to be sold on getting it or put off lol. The riding stuff us just awesome though!

I love Pokemon, I've played at least one of every gen and it's one my favourite series and while let's go has introduced some super cool stuff there is a lot I'm unsure of lol. There are things I love in let's go and things that scare me tbh. 

16 minutes ago, Westside said:

I've just beat Brock got my first gym badge. You need either a Water or Grass Pokemon to battle him as they're super effective (think that's to help new players) you can catch Oddish in Viridian Forest or if you have patience you can encounter a Bulbasaur!

This type of dumbing down is what worries me lol, everything I've read says the game is stupidly easy and while I don't mind that As such i'm just worried it'll be a tad boring. The shiny hunting looks fun though. 

The graphics and being a gen one remake pull on the heart strings a lot though I can't deny that. It's one I'll 100% play at some point but when I'm not sure, the missus' mum said she'd get me a game for Xmas so I said the Crash trilogy or Pokemon so we'll see. Hoping to get both as I got the missus to pass on the message so she knows what I have my eye on as well lmao. 

41 minutes ago, zaangie said:

I'm going to pick up Pokémon Pikachu tomorrow 😁 

Can't wait to hear what you think :)