Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Nintendo

Ashez

1 hour ago, Nucleus said:

Or Scottish 😂

Now I 100% want voice acting! All the accents would be ace in each area....Not gunna lie I want some cockney trainers 😂

Cor Blimey

Oh Yangus :D

1 minute ago, Ashez said:

Now I 100% want voice acting! All the accents would be ace in each area....Not gunna lie I want some cockney trainers 😂

Cor Blimey

Oh Yangus :D

0B30EB43-8BD9-4498-B2B2-61570A19DE89.gif.4a0da299b18ce9cd59e6b613a84db7c9.gif

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

One of my mates from work has just lent me BOTW 👍

See ya in a few months then 👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼😂

49 minutes ago, Rob said:

One of my mates from work has just lent me BOTW 👍

Seriously can't wait to hear what you think!!!! Keep us updated :D

I need switch friends 😂

18 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I need switch friends 😂

None of my mates are switch players actually! Kinda sucks but I’ve never been a multiplayer guy so I suppose I’m ok with it 😛

2 hours ago, Nucleus said:

None of my mates are switch players actually! Kinda sucks but I’ve never been a multiplayer guy so I suppose I’m ok with it 😛

Yeah I was more thinking about who to lend games off haha

Only person I know with a Switch is my cousin who got it at launch and I think his only games are Mario and Zelda, he's massive Zelda fan boy though. I

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Going to probably crack it open tomorrow night. Home is a bit chaotic at the moment. Cannot wait!

I hope we've not built it up too much lol

What I've Been Playing

February 2019 

Switch

Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy - 
Crash 2
- I'm really not sure how I feel about Crash 2, it's an odd feeling after having such a strong dislike of the first game. I'll start by saying the sequel is alot better with a more steady difficulty curve, with the second last world really being the start of level design similar to the first creeping in, but all in all this adventure was alot less frustrating. Unfortunately though it does repeat level themes alot throughout the game and from the previous title, which is understandable considering the short turn around time originally but it really stopped this game standing out to me. It just was what it was and while I enjoyed it alot more than the first it still didn't feel special or as good as I expected it to be, honestly having no nostalgia for these games feels like I'm missing most of their appeal. Crash 2 is decent, it achieves what it wanted to I'm sure but it just missed the mark with me, I'm starting to realise I'm just not a Crash fan unless the third blows my socks off lol. The controls and jumping still annoy me as does the spin attack but the slide kick and jump feature added in this game makes a massive difference, it's fun to use and alot easier to judge distance/timing to hit enemies. The worst part of the game however has to be the boss fights as all of them are complete garbage, none of them are fun or interesting and so far the boss battles have been massively dull across the series. They're just waiting around for the right time to attack and just lack imagination, Mario often has the same issue with its "3 hit rule" but at least they make that fun now and then. Completion wise I hit 60% which is the 25 story gems and a few others I got along the way which I'm happy with, I just don't find the no death gems or box breaking one's worth the effort, I'll admit it box breaking just isn't fun, especially with all the back tracking and secret areas stuff, it just doesn't interest me at all. I really expected to love this series but we've just not connected at all lol. 

Super Mario Party - I've gone from a game/series I expected to love and one I hoped I'd look to 100% but ending up not being keen to attempting to 100% a game I never thought I'd want to, that's right I find myself wanting to 100% Super Mario Party! I'll admit there are different circumstances here as getting the winners gem for each map is extra fun as I've been doing it with family members and not solo, so far I've got the completion gem for the standard Mario Party mode, the new two player team mode and the rhythm mode. This leaves the single player mode which I'm chipping at now and then (around 2/3s through) and the rafting mode where I have 2 routes left iirc, the main issue with this mode is talking people into playing it with me as no one seems to like it. I've refused to look up how you unlock all the hidden characters but I've got 3/4 so far so I'm assuming I'll get the last eventually by continuing to aim for completion. That's not all though as I did pick up an extra pair of joycons this month so I could play 3 and 4 player with the family which has been alot of fun, when I got my switch I got the black/grey bundle as the neon joycons didn't appeal but having them now and they're ace, they look alot better than I expected. Actually getting hold of these bad boys wasn't easy though as everywhere in town had sold out not knowing when they would get more, even Amazon had none in stock but eventually we found some in the next town over. All in all this game continues to surprise me and I'm so happy I picked it up, I still think it needs more boards but as a multiplayer game it's really good.  

Demo's

Yoshi's Crafted World Demo - I'll admit I wasn't that interested in Crafted World as while I love Yoshi his games have always been lacklustre imo. Wooley World was decent but just that and once you get over the amazing art style it's just a slow paced platformer, and previously I didn't think this new crafted art style was that interesting compared. However the second I booted this demo up I was hit by that Nintendo magic and I instantly fell in love with the design, the simple things like toilet roll trees just melted my heart lol, it's just pure magic. It's stunning and so interesting to look around and see how these levels are built and yeah this is better than the previous wool design. The levels going into the fore and background was fun and I freaking love the free aim with the egg throwing as it instantly speeds stuff up compared to previous versions, however I do think the general game play feels slower. I had an absolute blast with this demo and it's peaked my interest but I am concerned what's left once you get over the presentation, especially as the levels encourage replaying them by the looks of it. 

Pokemon Let's Go Demo - What a crap demo this is, I understand it was released to get a feel of the catching mechanic but being locked into a dull area, with dull Pokemon, with no story and only three battles just made the game feel extremely boring. I love the art style, the visuals and HD Pokemon look fantastic but everything else I'm still unsure on. As for the catching I found it frustrating but I'm sure I could get used to it even if I'm not keen. I basically feel exactly the same way as I did before playing the demo, if anything it's made me even more iffy on how dull the game feels. 

Daemon X Machina Demo - Again this was a game I wasn't interested in but I thought I'd try it out. I played around the first three levels but I turned it off before the demo ended as I had lost interest. Mech games have never really appealed to me and this won't be the one to convince me they are, I think the art style looks better in person and the customisation stuff was neat but this game just isn't for me. 

Katamari Damacy Reroll Demo - I've always heard great things about this game/series yet I've never understood why and after playing the demo I still don't. The point of the game is you roll a ball around to pick up objects to make your ball bigger, it's wacky for sure but so dull and pointless. The music was catchy at least but the sound effects really aggravated me and got on my nerves fast, yeah this game just isn't for me. 

Octahedron Demo - A really cool yet difficult 2D platformer with great music and light design, I was really enjoying this title but I couldn't finish the demo. Unfortunately while eye catching the visuals rely on bright flashing lights and explosions which I found soon made things a little difficult to follow and a headache developed. I was playing in the dark which might be apart of the issue but surely that's the best experience? It was fun but my body rejected it 😂

Detention Demo - An Asian inspired side scrolling horror game you say? It would be rude not to be a little curious by that lol. The story is you wake up in school and everyone has left, until you find another kid asleep in the hall. It then just gets really weird with demons and death and yeah it's bizarre. Gameplay wise it's an adventure/point and click title where you wonder around and solve puzzles and find clues, the typical stuff really for the genre. The demo didn't suck tbh as I enjoyed what I played but it never pulled me in or got me interested in playing the full game. The main reason I checked it out is because the publisher Merge Games is on my radar as they've published a few games I really love or have an interest in, while they've not published this title they have published a game in a similar art style being The Coma, so I was just experimenting really. 

Bad North Demo - I was super excited for this RTS/Tower defence game when it was revealed but it's one I forgot about, thankfully a demo is available so I gave it a shot. I really liked this game as it's pretty simple as you move your units around the map to defend from attackers, while being able to earn upgrades and stuff, however there was just that spark missing as it was kind of dull. When I started wondering when does this demo end I knew it wasn't as good as I hoped and after reading some reviews I've been totally put off the game, I forgot it was a rogue like and this game just doesn't have repeated playthrough's appeal. 

Wii 

I finally decided to set my WiiU up in a very rough way (-gamepad), mainly because I'm in need of a few HDMI cables and an extension lead but in doing this I'm able to return to the odd world of Wii games. It's daft tbh as I use my Wii as a Gamecube (I don't have a GC) and my WiiU as a Wii/WiiU but I doubt I'll ever have a reason to revisit WiiU titles as I've beat all I've got but an intimidating and still sealed copy of Xenoblade Chronicles X. The Wii is such an odd system as I love so many of the games yet I really dislike the waggle controls, however it's great fun to collect for as the games are dirt cheap right now with plenty of hidden gems. 

Batman The Brave & The Bold - I started playing this like 2 years ago with my little brother as it's a two player beat em up that's alot of fun, however we were playing it in the dark days inbetween the WiiU and Switch and it got left behind so I decided to crack on solo with around half the game left. Admittedly this is very much a kids game as it's not that taxing but it's made by Wayforward who make games that are just fun to play (they also made The Flash GBA game I played recently). The game is based on the TV show which I've never watched but I'll admit the game is pretty funny and I love things that dive deeper into DC lore and history. Like I said it's always two player and in each chapter you and a partner or the AI take control of Batman and a guest character like Robin, Blue Beatle or Hawkman, the game is fully voiced which really helps push it over into a great experience. Gameplay wise it's just your basic side scrolling platforming beat em up that's not that difficult and death isn't punishing at all, the combat system is basic yet serviceable, the boss battles are interesting and as a DC fan I enjoyed my time with it. The gameplay is decent, the levels are fun, the characters and graphics really pop in the style, the humour is good and it's just a good time. It's one I'd recommend to people into Batman wanting a game they can enjoy with a young child or sibling. There is also a DS version which appears to be it's own game so I've added it to my want list. 

GBA

Fire Emblem - I've revealed the odd turn of events which led to this earlier in the month but it's been a game I've wanted to try for ages. I'll admit I'm one of the "bad fans" that got into the series with Awakening (which I loved and played with permadeath) which resulted in me playing Shadow Dragon (okay), Echoes (excellent but grindy), Fates (disappointed me) and the spin off Warriors, it's a series I've just fallen in love with. The main reason I've hesitated playing the GBA games is because I know my carts are fake, at the time I didn't know but that's a common issue with GBA collecting but any potential saving issues put me off trying a 30 odd hour adventure but I've finally bitten the bullet and thankfully it saves and runs fine. The first 10 chapters are an in depth tutorial which covers everything, as an experienced player this dragged on but I'm sure it would help people out, at chapter 11 the real main game starts and it drastically improves imo. Unfortunately however at around C15 the heartbreak happened as when I went to load up my save it had vanished...Everything gone. I knew the risks but when it saved fine earlier I didn't expect my save to randomly vanish. This fake cart issue is exactly why I don't collect GBA games as the market is flooded with fakes, it sucks complete arse as I love the library and the system but buying for it means taking risks or spending the big bucks on boxed copies. This is why I really hope GBA games come to the Switch Online Service as there are so many games I want to play that I'm not brave enough to buy, sure I could emulate them on something else but it's not the point. I'm very annoyed right now. The thing with the GBA library is there are loads of big name titles, and some expensive ones which are just easy to fake for a cheap buck and they're every where, tbh I wouldn't care about fakes too much if they ran properly and the price was right but the gambling is a bitch. 

Game Of The Year

New Releases

First Time Played This Year

1. Super Mario Party
2. Crash 2
4. Batman The Brave & The Bold
5. Crash 1

Recent Pick Ups

Neon Joycons - The only addition this month, with Crash 3, Xeodrifter and Starlink still to play I didn't see the point in buying anything else yet. 

Note to self -

300 gold points expire end of March, The Way Remastered sale ends 3rd

On 27/02/2019 at 19:58, Rob said:

Going to probably crack it open tomorrow night. Home is a bit chaotic at the moment. Cannot wait!

Well!! @Rob?!

Edited by Ashez

Not played it yet. I have felt terrible the last few days and went to bed at half seven last night.

I am glad you enjoyed Yoshi btw.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Not played it yet. I have felt terrible the last few days and went to bed at half seven last night.

I am glad you enjoyed Yoshi btw.

That sucks, at least you know you've a quality game to jump into when you feel like it!

I'm very interested to see how it reviews, I liked what I played but I have concerns, like as it encourages replaying levels will the original levels be few etc.

Btw I got The Way Remastered sale wrong, it ends on the third so I grabbed it today as why not

Well I managed twenty mins of Zelda this morning. Pretty much summed up so far as:

- Wake up;

- Walk around mini tomb thing;

- Walk outside;

- Think to myself: ‘holy heck this looks and feels amazing yet utterly terrifying and ohmegod I don’t know what to do next.’

54 minutes ago, Rob said:

Well I managed twenty mins of Zelda this morning. Pretty much summed up so far as:

- Wake up;

- Walk around mini tomb thing;

- Walk outside;

- Think to myself: ‘holy heck this looks and feels amazing yet utterly terrifying and ohmegod I don’t know what to do next.’

That opening is just sensational, when it pans across the map 😮

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Yeah. I sound a bit over the top, but proper goosebumps. I am assuming I can pretty much get to anywhere I can see?

Na I get it lmao, it's just perfection. 

Oh yes and places you can't even see lol, the map is gigantic! The starting area feels massive when it's actually nothing as @Nucleuscan confirm lol

Yeah the starting area - The Great Plateau is the smallest area on the map. I spent around 10+ hours just there. Make sure you practice your combat skills etc here before leaving. Once you leave here the enemies become increasingly difficult. Can’t wait to hear a proper review from you 😛 

I’m so tempted to get back into it to 100% it but all those seeds just put me right off. I’ll definitely go back in to finish off all side quests though

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

That is the smallest area??!? Geez.

Trust me....It becomes more fun and addictive than daunting fast!!

11 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

Yeah the starting area - The Great Plateau is the smallest area on the map. I spent around 10+ hours just there. Make sure you practice your combat skills etc here before leaving. Once you leave here the enemies become increasingly difficult. Can’t wait to hear a proper review from you 😛 

I’m so tempted to get back into it to 100% it but all those seeds just put me right off. I’ll definitely go back in to finish off all side quests though

I need to check back in with my side quest progression, I don't think I beat them all but I think I left a fair few irritating ones I couldn't be arsed with lol

Sooooooo overwhelming so far. Way too many options. Literally blowing my mind. 

I am wandering around with some spear thing I got from killing red things. 

Can I ask some random questions? I don’t want to take over the thread with Zelda questions, and some will be a bit noob.

20 minutes ago, Rob said:

Sooooooo overwhelming so far. Way too many options. Literally blowing my mind. 

I am wandering around with some spear thing I got from killing red things. 

Can I ask some random questions? I don’t want to take over the thread with Zelda questions, and some will be a bit noob.

Options are endless 😛

That spear won’t last long either. Make sure you stock up on weapons as they all break eventually. The only weapon in the game that doesn’t break is the master sword, but even that needs recharging after prolonged use.

Questions please 😁

Spoiler

Firstly, is it best to pick up and store everything? I’m assuming it is, so I have been;

Secondly, if I see a cauldron being warmed is it always worth eating at it or saving my food until another time? 

Thirdly, what’s the difference between the affects of food and the affects of that thing you eat to restore half a heart of health?

Fourthly, what is the point of stamps in the map? I assume they are for you to mark spots, but can you label them?

Fifthly, did you guys follow the scripted challenges or kinda go off-piste? I think I’ll follow he script and then go back and do the sides after.

Sixthly, how the living heck do you remember what everything does?

Seventhly, the control screen shows you the controls for the game pad. Can you switch this to the pro controller? (Or whatever it’s called on the Switch)

Thanks

Spoiler
4 minutes ago, Rob said:

Firstly, is it best to pick up and store everything? I’m assuming it is, so I have been;

Weapons, Shields and Bows have a maximum capacity in your inventory so once it’s full you’ll have to drop something to make room for it. Inventory space can be upgraded but it’s a tedious effort to do so. 

Any materials you pick up i.e apples, meat and monster parts etc. Have no maximum allowance so you can stockpile them to your hearts content.

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

Secondly, if I see a cauldron being warmed is it always worth eating at it or saving my food until another time? 

Any materials that are cooked increase more hearts than it would if it was eaten raw. There’s so many combinations of meals that give different effects etc.  If you happen to stumble upon any food that has “hearty” in its description then cook it on its own as it’s essentially a full heal plus temporary hearts 

7 minutes ago, Rob said:

Thirdly, what’s the difference between the affects of food and the affects of that thing you eat to restore half a heart of health?

See above 😛

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

Fourthly, what is the point of stamps in the map? I assume they are for you to mark spots, but can you label them?

Hardly used them but they’re handy for tracking where rare weapons are found as they do reappear after a blood moon - which you won’t have come across just yet

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

Fifthly, did you guys follow the scripted challenges or kinda go off-piste? I think I’ll follow he script and then go back and do the sides aft

There is no set script. That’s the beauty of it. After leaving the great plateau you can head straight to the final boss if you want! Although that would be suicide. I think the speed run record for the game is like 38 minutes

10 minutes ago, Rob said:

Sixthly, how the living heck do you remember what everything does?

Patience 😛

10 minutes ago, Rob said:

Seventhly, the control screen shows you the controls for the game pad. Can you switch this to the pro controller? (Or whatever it’s called on the Switch)

Don’t have a pro controller so can’t answer this. @Ashez does though