Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Nintendo

Ashez

I'm still not convinced or tempted but the Labo VR has reviewed very well from what I've seen, the BOTW experiences are what I'm looking forward to though. 

BOTW has just completely blown me away all over again and I've lost yet another evening in this amazing game! 

I was in between games as I'm still waiting for the Starlink update before starting that so I decided to do some clean up on something with BOTW obviously being the game I picked. I still have no interest in the seeds but I cleaned up a few side quests I abandoned a year or so ago and I just couldn't turn the bloody thing off, I was just exploring knowing I had nothing worth looking for 😂

I can't even put my love for this game into words, it's just special. 

Pokemon Fire Red

I said a while ago I had a desire to do another monotype run after loving my Ground type one on Pokemon X a few months ago. This time however I wanted to go old school so I decided to do one on Fire Red, originally I hesitated on this due to Let's Go but the demo pushed that game out of my thoughts, especially after seeing Sword and Shield. Unfortunately while nostalgic the original dex isn't the most diverse but after talking to @Nucleus ages ago the seeds of a poison type run were planted. I had actually considered doing a Nuzlocke run which I've never done before but I've decided to save that for another time, mainly because I couldn't shake this poison type run idea, it just intrigued me and has stayed in my mind for weeks. 

The Run.

Spoiler

Obviously due to doing a poison mono type run I picked up Bulbasaur as my starter, in truth while I've always been a fan of the toad I can't say I ever remember using it before, like many of the Pokemon available to me which is why I think it appealed. My first catch was a Weedle at Lv3 from within the forest who I levelled up a little before heading off to face Brock. 

Gym 1 - Rock - Bulbasaur Lv12, Kakuna Lv9

I knew this gym and the second one would be easy due to my starter but my cockiness costed me as Kakuna fell in battle to be my first death. I was switch training and got caught by Onix using bind which prevented switching (I'm also playing on set), thank god this wasn't a Nuzlocke after all lol.

Oh the running shoes! You get them fairly early but every step without them sucks!

Route 3 -  While planning this save i did consider a poison monotype nuzlocke which sounded brutal yet fun, however the thought of the Pidgey line and my rival having Charizard really put me off as I'd have limited ways to deal with powerful flying and fire types! This fear showed up early as a double Pidgey trainer almost secured my first wipe as they tore through Bulbasaur who thankfully got a leech seed off which was enough for Kakuna to hang on and stall for the win. A few battles later and Kakuna evolved into a Beedrill who should be alot more useful. Thankfully route 3 also brought a new team member to the squad as I grinded for a Nidoran, I wanted a female so I could use Nidoqueen but after 40 minutes of grinding I settled on a male, I've always loved Nidoking but I felt like being different but oh well. 

Mount Moon - Nothing of note happened here but a Zubat joined the team and Nidoran evolved into Nidorino. Tbf this area was very annoying as I had no good way to deal with Zubat as basically all my attacks were resisted. 

Route 4 - A level 8 Ekans was added to the party, Ekans is a Fire Red exclusive and the reason why I played this version, I feel it's intimidate will be a wonderful tool on this journey. 

Rival Battle Nugget Bridge - Zubat Lv 12, Ivysaur Lv17, Beedrill Lv15, Nidorino Lv16, Ekans Lv8

Wow the rivals Lv18 Charmander was as scary as I feared! The little lizard blitzed through Ivysaur (who thankfully got a leech seed off once again), Zubat and Nidorino with 2 critical hits and a burn on Beedrill! If his Pidgeotto attacked and didn't just spam sand attack I'd of had no chance here! To think I was worried I was over levelled but obviously not, so it's grinding time. 

Gym 2 - Water - Ekans Lv16, Ivysaur Lv18, Beedrill Lv17, Nidorino Lv17, Zubat Lv16

The second gym was as easy as expected, Misty's Starmie being Lv21 made things interesting but only Nidorino fell in battle which I could have avoided tbf. 

Route 5 - I added an Oddish to the team but it won't be on it that long, I've used this line before and Ivysaur makes it pretty redundant. 

Rival Battle SS Anne - Ekans Lv20, Beedrill Lv19, Nidorino Lv20, Oddish Lv15, Ivysaur Lv21, Zubat Lv20

This battle wasn't as brutal as the previous encounter as my team had improved a decent amount. I started with Ekans to get a glare off against Pidgeotto which was working perfectly until that damn bird landed a critical hit, Ekans survived for the KO but he was weak. Next up was Kadabra who I completely forgot about and it terrified me! I switched to Zubat who was OHKO'd so I attempted to tank the fight out with Ivysaur which just about worked. Unfortunately the dreaded Charmeleon entered the battle next so I switched to Nidorino. After a smoke screen Nidorino proceeded to miss three attacks in a row and was close to death so I switched in Oddish sacrificing the plant to get a clean switch in to Nidorino and a Super Potion opportunity. On Nidorino's return he was pulling his weight only to be burned by ember! I stalled until he fainted and brought in Beedrill for the KO. Finally Ratacate was sent out and Beedrill disposed of him with ease thanks to brick break. It wasn't as tough as our previous encounter but it was just as intense! Later on when he has Charizard, Pidgeot and Alakazam he's going to be some opponent!

Gym 3 - Electric - Ekans Lv21, Beedrill Lv20, Nidorino Lv21, Oddish Lv15, Ivysaur Lv22, Zubat Lv20

I didn't know what to expect from this gym but it turned out pretty easy with Beedrill taking care of most of the work. 

Route 11 - I got Ekans to level 22 and it evolved into an Arbok. 
Diglett's Cave - Zubat evolved into a Golbat at level 22. 

Rival Battle - Pokemon Tower - Arbok Lv25, Beedrill Lv25, Nidorino Lv25, Oddish Lv15, Ivysaur Lv27, Golbat Lv26

These fights are getting easier but that's not to say they don't provide a challenge as Golbat, Arbok and Nidorino fell in battle. Arbok did alot of the heavy lifting taking care of the rivals first three Pokemon but Kadabra was too strong for the serpent with Beedrill getting revenge. This time Nidorino handled Charmeleon well but he was no match for the Gyarados which Ivysaur polished off. 

Giovanni - Game Corner - Arbok Lv28, Beedrill Lv28, Nidorino Lv28, Oddish Lv15, Ivysaur Lv28, Golbat Lv29

A piss easy Ivysaur sweep. 

Gym 4 - Grass - Arbok Lv29, Beedrill Lv29, Nidorino Lv29, Oddish Lv15, Ivysaur Lv30, Golbat Lv29

You'd think a grass gym with a poison team would be easy....Yet amazingly the only poison move on my entire team is poison sting! Thankfully Beedrill picked up the slack handling the gym by it's self thanks to it's bug and flying moves. 

Half Way Point Team Review 

Beedrill - Aerial Ace, Twineedle, Brick Break, Secret Power

Beedrill was one I was interested in using and so far it's pulling its weight thanks to it's speed and diverse move spread. 

Golbat - Leech Life, Wing Attack, Confuse Ray, Bite

Zubat sucked ass and was a real pain but since evolving Golbat has been a pretty useful member of the team, especially since learning wing attack. 

Ivysaur - Sleep Powder, Secret Power, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf

Ivysaur is likely my least used but it's played a major part in this save as my starter has been essential in walling and stalling threats with its bulk, seeds and powders. 

Arbok - Dig, Glare, Bite, Poison Sting

Arbok was another I was excited to use but it's main use so far has been It's intimidate and ability to glare and flinch with bite. 

Nidorino - Horn Attack, Peck, Dig, Double Kick

Nidorino has been the most disappointing this far as it doesn't hit as hard as you'd hope while it's also not the bulkiest member going, however I'm sure this will change when I decide to evolve it. I'm holding off on evolving him until I need to as I'm sure as a Nidoking he'll become my brute and I don't want to rely on him until I have to. 

Oddish - HM Slave

Oddish has mainly been a filler member who has the bonus of being able to use flash and cut, it'll be leaving the team soon as I know who my final member will be. 

Pokemon Tower - I caught a Gastly but I won't be using it, while I love the line I've used it loads and I cba to get a Gengar via trading. I have plans to replace Oddish which I'll reveal soon enough. 

Silph Co Building - Ivysaur evolved into Venusaur at level 32. 

Rival Battle - Silph Co - Arbok Lv33, Beedrill Lv33, Nidorino Lv34, Oddish Lv15, Venusaur Lv34, Golbat Lv32

The first party wipe of the save and it comes at the hands of that dreaded Charizard I feared from the start, the level 40 lizard just destroyed my team knocking out Beedrill, Venusaur, Nidorino, Golbat and a revived Arbok, absolutely brutal. I think it's time to throw that moon stone at Nidorino to see what Nidoking can bring to the table as we regroup to go again. 

Rival Battle - Silph Co - Arbok Lv33, Beedrill Lv33, Nidoking Lv34, Oddish Lv15, Venusaur Lv34, Golbat Lv32

I evolved Nidorino into Nidoking and taught him Shock Wave which was just the ticket! Nidoking handled the Pidgeot, Beedrill the psychics and I used a Glare from Arbok to slow down Charizard for Nidoking to sweep the fake dragon and Gyarados. 

Geovanni - Silph Co - Arbok Lv33, Beedrill Lv34, Nidoking Lv34, Oddish Lv15, Venusaur Lv35, Golbat Lv33

After Venusaur made this fight a joke earlier in the run I attempted not using it which worked out okay with only Golbat falling in battle. With this out the way it's time to train Golbat at the fighting dojo and to grab our next badge. 

Gym 5 - Psychic - Beedrill Lv35, Golbat Lv36, Arbok Lv35, Venusaur Lv35, Nidoking Lv36, Oddish Lv15

The second wipe! Everything was going really well then the level 43 Alakazam entered the field and OHKO'd everything in sight! I had one hope of landing a glare so I could at least out speed it but for that to happen I need it not to attack, which it didn't as it used future sight but my glare missed!

Attempt Two - The Third wipe! Rinse and repeat as this fight was nearly identical with me once again failing to land the Glare!

Attempt Three - Third time lucky as my glare landed but this time Sabrina instantly used a full heal to remove the status effect, thankfully however that free turn was huge as later in the battle I got lucky landing a sleep powder which lasted long enough for me to get the fifth badge! I hoped Beedrill would be my main weapon in this fight but it couldn't out speed Alakazam or take a hit, this has now made my rival even more terrifying!

Gym 6 - Poison - Beedrill Lv40, Golbat Lv38, Arbok Lv38, Venusaur Lv39, Nidoking Lv39, Oddish Lv16

This gym has always baffled me as it's called the poison gym yet it has hardly any poison type Pokemon within it, it's just baffling. Regardless this was a walk in the park as we continue on after the final two badges. 

Final Member - Now I finally have surf I went in search of a Tentacool to be my final member, while surfing I found a few lower level ones but I also got lucky finding a Lv35 one which I caught, evolved and levelled up equal to my team. I'm really hoping Tentacruel will be my Charizard wall. 

Golbat can't learn fly? What the hell? This meant I had to catch a Pidgy to progress the story. 

Gym 7 - Fire - Beedrill Lv41, Golbat Lv41, Arbok Lv41, Venusaur Lv41, Nidoking Lv41, Tentacruel Lv42

A nice and easy second last gym with Arbok, Nidoking and Tentacruel racing through these battles without issue, tbh Tentacruel could have handled it with ease but I decide to share some experience around. 

Gym 8 - Ground - Giovanni - Beedrill Lv42, Golbat Lv42, Arbok Lv42, Venusaur Lv43, Nidoking Lv43, Tentacruel Lv43!

I attempted to make this fight interesting by not relying on Venusaur, Tentacruel and Nidoking which pretty much back fired as those three came in to save the day. 

Rival Battle - Pre Victory Road - Same as above

I completely forgot about this battle and I entered unprepared but we just about got through it. Tentacruel was intended to be my Charizard counter and thankfully it can take a flamethrower, however it turns out it can't take three wing attacks?!? Oh I'm dreading this final encounter. 

Victory Road - Caves by far have been the worst part of this save as every cave has been a complete ballache to get through. We left the cave with basically everyone at Lv45 so I went over to the new exclusive islands to explore and grind everyone up a few levels, i didn't want to do it but with my opposition Charizard being nearly Lv60 I decided I needed some more protection. 

Elite 4 Team 

I grinded my entire team up to level 50 for my attempt at the E4, so let's check out what I'll be rocking

Golbat - Poison Fang, Wing Attack, Confuse Ray, Bite

Beedrill - Aerial Ace, Twineedle, Brick Break, Secret Power

Venusaur - Sleep Powder, Strength, Leech Seed, Giga Drain. 

Tentacruel - Ice Beam, Surf, Acid, Toxic

Arbok - Bite, Acid, Glare, Dig

Nidoking - Surf, Shock Wave, Megahorn, Earthquake

I'm pretty happy with my team but I've decided to save and heal after each battle, this is mainly because I've had enough of grinding and I'm very under levelled for the E4. 

The Elite 4

Member 1 - Ice - Lv Range 52-54

This was the fight I wasn't worried about but it was alot tougher than I expected! Unfortunately Venusaur couldn't take or dish out an attack as well as I expected so it turned into a pretty stally fight. Tentacruel was excellent at walling the opposition though even once frozen! I shouldn't have lost anyone in this fight but Golbat and Beedrill did faint as I underestimated Jynx's speed and ice punch power. 

Member 2 - Fighting - Lv Range 51-56

This fight wasn't too bad at all tbh, Machamp got a bulk up out which was problematic and the likes of Beedrill and Golbat fainted but we were in no real danger of being wiped out

Member 3 - Ghost - Lv Range 53-58

This was the one I wasn't sure on and it ended up being the easiest of the 4 with Nidoking doing most of the work,  this was actually the only battle where noone fainted. It got a tad annoying when her Gengar spammed confusion and sleep moves continually but we pushed through eventually. 

Member 4 - Dragon - Lv Range 54-60

Lance was the entire reason I grinded at the game corner to get the ice beam TM as I knew he'd be a pain but in truth it could have gone worse. I lost a few Pokemon to hyper beams and Dragonite's Lv60 outrage was scary as all hell but we managed to stall for the win. 

Champion - Lv Range - 59-63

I started with Tentacruel thinking I'll ice beam his Pidgeot while it returns with a critical hit Aerial Ace and eventually I fainted bringing in Nidoking. My purple Dino fired off some shock waves which resulted in Rhydon switching in which I countered by unleashing Venusaur who OHKO'd with Giga Drain. My heart sunk as Alakazam entered the field and destroyed my flowered toad, Beedrill took it's place and to my delight Alakazam used Future Sight but to my dismay my Twineedle failed to land the KO! This attack angered the spoon wielding psychic as he retaliated knocking out Beedrill. Golbat entered the arena and tbh I thought we were done for until Alakazam used Future sight again allowing Golbat to secure the knock out! My rival next threw this big three headed tree at me which I saw as my opportunity for momentum as I attempted bites and wing attacks while my opponent missed sleep powders. Unfortunately my Golbat was eventually caught and I used this opportunity to revive Venusaur and Tentacruel. My sleeping bat was put to rest and Nidoking returned to the field avenging his flying pal with a megahorn into the tree's heart. The rival responded with Gyarados intimidating the stadium and I waited for it to KO my King so I could safely bring in Venusaur, however to my surprise Nidoking withstanded the serpents attacks so it made more sense to heal stall and shock wave for the KO. The final pokeball of my rivals was throw as Charizard erupted from his capsule fighting for pride! He fired a fire blasts in Nidoking's direction but it missed! Nidoking survived and retaliated with a surf! Nidoking's luck didn't last however as he was sent back to his ball in the following turn with Tentacruel taking his place. My overgrown squid against his flying reptile in a battle of the ages! Tentacruel landed a toxic which basically meant job done with the items I had to hand but they weren't needed as a surf sealed the deal!

I am...The World Poison Champion! 

sT7dMpq.jpg

This was a super fun experience as I explored one of my favourite Pokemon games in a brand new way with Pokemon I'd not used before. The grinding and cave exploration were massive pains in my ass but over all I found this save really rewarding. In my ground mono type run on X I discovered I love for a few new Pokemon but this save has really helped elevate Venusaur in my eyes, it's now a worthy competitor alongside the other starters who'd I'd typically always pick before it. 

5 hours ago, zaangie said:

Bought Dynasty Warriors 8 XLCE yesterday. I just had to do it 😂

You and those games 😂😂😂

You ever played Hyrule Warriors? I did on the WiiU but I had issues with it, the Switch port feels almost forgotten though! The changes that made makes it appeal more but I don't really want to play/buy it again lol

I'm still waiting for this April Starlink update 

I just can't get enough of them 😂

Yeah, and I wanted to play either but I had to choose between it and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3. And I chose OP because I love the anime/manga. Maybe I'll buy it in the future on a sale. 

3 hours ago, zaangie said:

I just can't get enough of them 😂

Yeah, and I wanted to play either but I had to choose between it and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3. And I chose OP because I love the anime/manga. Maybe I'll buy it in the future on a sale. 

They're fun I just find them extremely repetitive, that can be cool when the mood suits but it doesn't that often lol. 

Starlink update date finally announced as the 30th

14 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

I actually played Leisure suit Larry on the PlayStation years ago! 😂 Shockingly terrible game

I just like the title 😂

Stuck point and click titles though 😛

Ahh they split the Starlink DLC update! Some of it is free but what I was waiting for is paid for so I've waited for nothing as I wouldn't buy DLC before trying out the game 😂. Oh well. 

One for you just announced @zaangie

https://nintendowire.com/news/2019/04/25/persona-5-scramble-the-phantom-strikers-announced-for-switch/

A Persona 5 musou/warrior game from your favourite developer 😛

6 minutes ago, zaangie said:

@Ashez that was unexpected. Looks cool but I don't know anything about persona. And I'm already waiting for marvel 3. I need more money 😂

Yeah I know nothing at all about Persona and the Warriors games only appealed to me due to Zelda/FE. 

Tell me about it, there are so many Switch games I want! The main reason I'm being tight now and not buying before I need something to play is because I know later in the year I'll NEED alot of games lol. Fire Emblem, DQ11, DQB2 and Pokemon :o. Plus waiting usually means you can find a sale or a deal lol. 

@Ashez in the end of last year I told my misses that I wouldn't buy too many games this because I wasn't expecting anything special besides Pokémon and because we're gonna be parents. And then BANG, I got stomped by Astral Chain, CTR, Marvel Allience 3, Mario Maker 2 plus Pokémon. Damn 

45 minutes ago, zaangie said:

@Ashez in the end of last year I told my misses that I wouldn't buy too many games this because I wasn't expecting anything special besides Pokémon and because we're gonna be parents. And then BANG, I got stomped by Astral Chain, CTR, Marvel Allience 3, Mario Maker 2 plus Pokémon. Damn 

I'm good at being tight but I've almost had a few weak moments 😂. My Amazon wish list has 53 Switch games on it (I just counted 😂) and I'd say way over half of those are ones I really want. 

47 minutes ago, zaangie said:

Got this today, looks awesome 😁 shame it doesn't have vegete instead of Mai. 

IMG_20190425_172323.jpg

That's bad ass! What is it though? Just a face plate? Last time I looked I saw loads cloth ones or Zelda/Mario ones with lights iirc

5 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I'm good at being tight 

Wish I could say the same! I’ve got no self control when it comes to buying games 😂

45 minutes ago, Rob said:

53 games on your wish list? Blimey!!!

Spoiler

Super Bomberman R

Sine Mora EX

Doom

Poi Explorer edition

Splatoon 2

Max The Curse Of Brotherhood

This Is The Police 2

Arms

Runbow Deluxe

Rocket League

The Legend Of Kay

Sonic Forces

Little Nightmares

Mario Tennis Aces

Yonder

South Park

Resident Evil Revelations Collection

Minecraft

Pokemon Let's Go P/E

Ys VIII

Wolfenstien 2 

The Banner Saga

Dragon Ball Fighter Z

Yokus Island Express

Valkyria Chronicles 4

The Escapist 2

Moonlighter

Victor Vran

Giana Sisters

Diablo 3

This War Of Mine

Lego DC Super Villains

Crash TR

Sphinx

Rad Rodgers

Salt and Sanctuary

Takes Of Vesperia

Yoshi's Crafted World

Shovel Knight

Fire Emblem Three Houses

Assassin Creed 3

Astral Chain

My Time In Portia

Saints Row the third

Darksiders

Skyrim

Bloodstained 

Trine 4

Labo VR

Hollow Knight 

Flashback

Puyo Puyo Tetris 

Street Fighter 30th collection

Think that's them all with the bold ones being priority ones but 90% of those are at the right price type wants lol

1 hour ago, Nucleus said:

Wish I could say the same! I’ve got no self control when it comes to buying games 😂

The backlog makes it easier 😂

42 minutes ago, zaangie said:

@Ashez yeah, it's a faceplate. Microfiber inside so it doesn't risk the console and has 6 slots for cartridges. 

Nice, I might have to look into them again 

1 hour ago, Rob said:

@Ashez - Going to be an expensive year for you!

Thankfully that's when being tight and sensible saves me 😂. If I was stockpiling games I'd bankrupt myself as I want everything lmao, currently I'm happy buying as needed though! With most of them the longer you wait the cheaper they get or with Nintendo games they'll never be cheaper so why rush haha. 

The Way Remastered is 90p on the eshop and I recommend it without hesitation! Itll be in my April update and I really enjoyed it, for 90p it's a no brainer!!!! 

Just now, Nucleus said:

There goes 90p from my account tonight then 🙄

Story driven puzzle platformer that I just loved, it can be finicky and one or two puzzles infuriated me but I had a real good time with it. 

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

Story driven puzzle platformer that I just loved, it can be finicky and one or two puzzles infuriated me but I had a real good time with it. 

I’ll squeeze a good 400 hours out of it probably 

18 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

I’ll squeeze a good 400 hours out of it probably 

I got around 7-10 out of it and that's with looking up 3 puzzle solutions which just baffled me, I could see myself replaying it though. I've never played a game quite like that before and it was a complete blast. I'd give it a 7.5/10 I think.