Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Nintendo

Ashez

Of course it's stupid to compare to Botw and I don't expect Pokémon to be that type of game. But I expect more than this. Game Freak are not that good developers and they lied to the fans. Pokémon deserves better. 

Like I said I did expect more but I'm also kind of understanding that this is only their second HD console 3D Pokemon release with the first being a remake in Let's Go. It'll 100% be a stepping stone and we'll see more in Pokemon Lance or whatever they call the third game or next gen. I can't deny it not looking a little rushed and maybe they took too much on with Let's Go, Little Town Hero and Sw/Sh. 

If I find it the 8/10 experience most reviews seem to think it is I'll be satisfied, I'm just focusing on the positives as if I go in negative I won't enjoy it. 

Ohh while writing that my copy dispatched :D. 

3 hours ago, zaangie said:

Mine isn't dispatched yet, I'm gonna be some mad if I don't review the copy today 😠

Ouch! Hopefully it shows up today! 

Mine is arriving today but I dunno what time it'll get here, Amazon delivery is a little all over the place, if I ordered it earlier I'd have from someone who uses normal post as that comes first thing. I've just got in from work and I'm working tonight so I won't be playing it today either way, my plan is to sleep tomorrow day then play it all Saturday night lol. That way I can sleep Sunday day ready for work that night. I've got time off after Wednesday morning though. 

As they weren't officially released I did look up the new starters last night, I hate the one but the other two look okay but I wanna see what they look like in game (\only seen none game stills). If the one looks cool in game which I think it might I've decided, if it doesn't I'll somewhat reluctantly pick the other one lol. Tbh they aren't the strongest designs going, I've like 2/3 all along but the middle stages are all just awful and I'm not sold on either final form as yet. 

Edit - My copy will be delivered by 1 :)

Edited by Ashez

What starter will you choose? I'm gonna for the fire one as always. 

Lucky you, mine is still in preparation. I'm so mad right now. What's the point of making a pre order if I don't get the game on launch day? 

6 hours ago, zaangie said:

What starter will you choose? I'm gonna for the fire one as always. 

Lucky you, mine is still in preparation. I'm so mad right now. What's the point of making a pre order if I don't get the game on launch day? 

Grass, it was the fire starter I never liked from the start. I couldn't decide between Grass and Water then when I heard what the water one was it was going to be awesome or horrendous and unfortunately it's horrendous. The concept is cool but the design is a shit Greninja having kids with Salazzle lol. I just don't like the fire start at all, I like it's animations but the actual design isn't for me at all, which leaves me with the grass. I really like the design apart from one aspect 

Wow, that sucks! Once a company let's me down release day I don't return tbh. I ordered mine 2am Thursday morning and I had it in hand by 12pm Friday! I've not opened it yet but it's on my table ready for tomorrow lol

19 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

@Ashez????

1BE83927-4F88-4F69-B5D6-8222C6020DC5.gif.5c9366a47f7ccc89e3466f109e0c77dd.gif

Because you couldn't just Switch stalk me and see I've not been on it 😂

Ended up going out after work this morning and now I'm too tired lol. I'll get some sleep and start it tonight :)

16 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Because you couldn't just Switch stalk me and see I've not been on it 😂

Ended up going out after work this morning and now I'm too tired lol. I'll get some sleep and start it tonight :)

I don’t switch stalk! Unlike some perverts! 😂

That sucks, not the answer I wanted tbh

Just played the first two and a half hours, this is a Pokemon ass Pokemon game, if you've played one before this start will be pretty familiar, they've changed it up slightly but not enough to be a game changer lol. 

The Good 

1. Like all Pokemon games it's very charming 

2. I like the designs of the new Pokemon, characters and early locations 

3. You can skip some tutorials 

4. First area is full of only new Pokemon, 7-10ish for the early routes 

5. Some aspects of the story are decent so far, but it is still a Pokemon game. 

6. wild Pokemon visible is awesome

The Bad 

1. I wouldn't say the graphics are bad but they aren't good, the game does look and feel like a 3DS Pokemon game but a little prettier. So for a Pokemon game it looks nice in most areas, but compared to other HD games it's a little rough in places 

2. I turned it off not long after getting to the wild area and bloody hell it's there where the roughness of the graphics is more in your face. It's tolerable imo but bad. 

3. Like all Pokemon games the beginning is wordy and a big console game like this lacking voice acting is a big hinderaence. 

4. The dynamax stuff already feels tacked on. 

5. No GTS is infuriating as your only online trading options are mystery trade or offering Pokemon to people while in a trade with no communication options. You can't see what they have, request stuff, search for stuff or anything and it's shit. Obviously I've only got early game shit but while testing trading out everyone basically quit once seeing my offer. 

However issues aside I was really enjoying it, it is basic, it has issues, it's not reinvented the wheel yet it still plays and feels like a Pokemon game. It's like comfort food. I managed to avoid all dex spoilers and every new encounter was exciting, it was like being a kid again. I'm exploring, trying to find the new Pokemon and just enjoying myself. 

Edited by Ashez
1 minute ago, Rob said:

I’m still reeling at the news that you went out rather than immediately playing the game 🙄😂

Decided to see the family 😂

6 hours ago, Ashez said:

1. I wouldn't say the graphics are bad but they aren't good, the game does look and feel like a 3DS Pokemon game but a little prettier. So for a Pokemon game it looks nice in most areas, but compared to other HD games it's a little rough in places 

I just don’t get how they could get let’s go to look so damn good yet failed on S/S! Glad you’re enjoying it regardless though

1 hour ago, Nucleus said:

I just don’t get how they could get let’s go to look so damn good yet failed on S/S! Glad you’re enjoying it regardless though

It's like they tried to mix that style with the 3DS style. At times it can look really lovely, but at others it's a tad rough. Like compared to DQXI it's bad, comparing it to Sun/Moon it's mostly excellent lol. 

I've never played Let's Go really but the art style has always appealed to me as it's main selling point. 

27 minutes ago, Ashez said:

It's like they tried to mix that style with the 3DS style. At times it can look really lovely, but at others it's a tad rough. Like compared to DQXI it's bad, comparing it to Sun/Moon it's mostly excellent lol. 

I've never played Let's Go really but the art style has always appealed to me as it's main selling point. 

Why try and mix a fantastic looking switch game with a game from an older generation 🤯

When let’s go first appeared it was a “holy shit, this is the future of Pokemon games” art wise but they seem to have taken three step backwards. It just doesn’t make sense.

I guess what I’m asking is, why are they cutting corners when the technology is in their hands as proven with the last game. It’s not like money is tight there, it’s the biggest selling franchise of all time lol

3DS style/stuff was made, iirc the 3DS models were made high quality then lowered for the console, so I guess with the Switch they used the models, I really dunno. 

The first town and that is gorgeous tbh, rough in places but very nice, so much so I was starting to wonder why it was getting so much hate. However the wild area cut scene before you even get there is so rough lol, I was like ohhhh, I get the hate.

12 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

I guess what I’m asking is, why are they cutting corners when the technology is in their hands as proven with the last game. It’s not like money is tight there, it’s the biggest selling franchise of all time lol

I was talking to a mate about this yesterday. The only big enough reasons for Nintendo to rush it out I could come up with 

1. This game is the entire reason why the Switch Lite is a thing and that needed to release while the console is hot, and Pokemon needed to when both were. 

2. This is basically an open holiday for Nintendo to dominate, next year however Nintendo will be fighting with PS5 and XB2. Will Nintendo launch a Switch Pro then? Or put BOTW2 up against those consoles? Who knows but this is a massive opportunity to shift systems. 

3. What other holiday game is there? We know nothing coming after Xmas apart from Xenoblade at 2020 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions in January. Admittedly they've had LOZ:LA and Luigi's Mansion but they aren't hot Xmas sellers like Pokemon. Could this be where the Metroid Prime 4 delay caught up with them? I'm not even sure that's big enough for Xmas though. 

So next Xmas they've got a battle, this Xmas they can make massive ground on the competition and make bank. 

Screenshot_2019-11-17-11-59-00.thumb.png.bf2925839c23abedcd1fd34f7ae17637.png

And early reports suggest they're making bank. Let's Go sold over 11m copies in total, Pokemon S/M and XY both broke 16m units, Ultra S/M nearly hit 9m. Sw/Sh will do very well. 

7 minutes ago, Ashez said:

3DS style/stuff was made, iirc the 3DS models were made high quality then lowered for the console, so I guess with the Switch they used the models, I really dunno. 

The first town and that is gorgeous tbh, rough in places but very nice, so much so I was starting to wonder why it was getting so much hate. However the wild area cut scene before you even get there is so rough lol, I was like ohhhh, I get the hate.

I was talking to a mate about this yesterday. The only big enough reasons for Nintendo to rush it out I could come up with 

1. This game is the entire reason why the Switch Lite is a thing and that needed to release while the console is hot, and Pokemon needed to when both were. 

2. This is basically an open holiday for Nintendo to dominate, next year however Nintendo will be fighting with PS5 and XB2. Will Nintendo launch a Switch Pro then? Or put BOTW2 up against those consoles? Who knows but this is a massive opportunity to shift systems. 

3. What other holiday game is there? We know nothing coming after Xmas apart from Xenoblade at 2020 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions in January. Admittedly they've had LOZ:LA and Luigi's Mansion but they aren't hot Xmas sellers like Pokemon. Could this be where the Metroid Prime 4 delay caught up with them? I'm not even sure that's big enough for Xmas though. 

So next Xmas they've got a battle, this Xmas they can make massive ground on the competition and make bank. 

Screenshot_2019-11-17-11-59-00.thumb.png.bf2925839c23abedcd1fd34f7ae17637.png

And early reports suggest they're making bank. Let's Go sold over 11m copies in total, Pokemon S/M and XY both broke 16m units, Ultra S/M nearly hit 9m. Sw/Sh will do very well. 

A kick in the teeth to some fans then basically 😂

1 hour ago, Nucleus said:

A kick in the teeth to some fans then basically 😂

I'm really enjoying it tbh mate, I hoped for a little more but so far I can't complain too much. It's just graphics at the end of the day, yeah I'm odd as I still play older systems often so it doesn't bother me as much but it's still decent to look at. 

Just explored the wild area a little more and the amount of Pokemon available is awesome, it'll make replaying the game so much fun! I only stopped exploring as I run out of balls lol. 

Dynanax is also pretty cool in person, admittedly I think it'll get old fast but as a gimmick there is some childish awesomeness there. 

Just got to my first town which I expect to have the first gym.

16 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I'm really enjoying it tbh mate, I hoped for a little more but so far I can't complain too much. It's just graphics at the end of the day, yeah I'm odd as I still play older systems often so it doesn't bother me as much but it's still decent to look at. 

Just explored the wild area a little more and the amount of Pokemon available is awesome, it'll make replaying the game so much fun! I only stopped exploring as I run out of balls lol. 

Dynanax is also pretty cool in person, admittedly I think it'll get old fast but as a gimmick there is some childish awesomeness there. 

Just got to my first town which I expect to have the first gym.

Don’t get me wrong, graphics don’t bother me. What does bother me is the fact they have the resources and ability at hand and yet they still put out a half assed effort. I’m by no means saying the game is going to be shit as I’ll no doubt enjoy it, but it most definitely is a half assed attempt

Game Freak's developers are simply bad. There's no excuse for this game. They're working on this for 3 years. They messed up and lied to the fans. SuMo was bad and this was a brilliant opportunity to get Pokémon back into greatness. For me I had enough. Nintendo should step up to develop next game. 

31 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

Don’t get me wrong, graphics don’t bother me. What does bother me is the fact they have the resources and ability at hand and yet they still put out a half assed effort. I’m by no means saying the game is going to be shit as I’ll no doubt enjoy it, but it most definitely is a half assed attempt

I do agree yet I find myself being easy on them but I dunno why lol. I do feel like I should be more annoyed than I am but I'm still experiencing that Pokemon magic lol. 

Game Freak isn't Nintendo though and according to Google they only have 140 odd employees as of 2018. In 2 years this is their 5th game with three of them being RPGs (Let's Go x 2, SwSH x2 and Little Town Hero). The Let's Go games were only a year ago as well so may be they did spread themselves a bit thin. However like you said with their money and resources they should be able to be as big as needed to get the job done. 

I do see it as only their second HD game, only their 4th console Pokemon RPG (2 on Gamecube, Let's Go and this). It's a mainly handheld series going console for basically the first time.....Actually tell a lie I've just noticed they didn't even make the GameCube games! So this and Let's Go are the first, one was a straight remake and the other is this. Knowing that there was always going to be growing pains, this is new territory for them. 

The Switch is a hybrid and this game clearly leans towards the side of "developed for handheld play" which Witcher 3 got praise for. 

Like I've said it could have been better but it's fun and clearly a stepping stone so I'll take it. 

23 minutes ago, zaangie said:

SuMo was bad

I have to disagree with that, I adored Moon. I'll say the second play through (Ultra Sun) didn't hold up as well but that first time through Moon was awesome. The region, the dex, team skull was all pure fun. Lilly was a tad annoying but otherwise I really enjoyed it, and XY tbh. 

Sure SuMo had some good things but in general was a forgettable game. Totem Pokémon is ridiculous. Trials were ok at best. Villain team was a joke and your rival is the most useless character of history of video games. Ultra beast was a good but bad implemented idea. Story was also forgettable. Alola forms was cool but z-moves were bad. 4 battle royal was very fun but now they removed lol. 

Edit: oh and most of cutscenes were really boring. 

Edited by zaangie
22 minutes ago, zaangie said:

forgettable game.

See I think so much of it was really memorable, especially compared to XY/ORAS. I thought ORAS were awful remakes though. 

Totem Pokémon is ridiculous.

Yeah I didn't care for them, like I don't most gimmicks

Trials were ok at best

I liked the change of pace but it should of had a few normal gyms as well 

24 minutes ago, zaangie said:

Villain team was a joke

Team Skull were hilarious, I loved them. Especially Po Town. 

I'll admit I was never that interested in the woman, her son and that plot though 

25 minutes ago, zaangie said:

your rival is the most useless character of history of video games

They just don't do rivals anymore, it's something I wish they still did though. 

26 minutes ago, zaangie said:

Ultra beast was a good but bad implemented idea.

I never got behind UBs tbh, I thought all designs were bad I didn't think we needed like a new breed of Pokemon. 

27 minutes ago, zaangie said:

Story was also forgettable.

Pokemon games always have naff stories though, it's a kids game at heart lol. 

27 minutes ago, zaangie said:

Alola forms was cool

I loved this concept

28 minutes ago, zaangie said:

t z-moves

Just a gimmick I ignored like mega's, I liked Z moves alot more than Mega's though which I really hated. 

29 minutes ago, zaangie said:

most of cutscenes were really boring. 

Original play through I liked the story, on the second it did bore me. Thankfully you can now skip cut scenes in SwSh if that ever gets as bad as SuMo. 

Debating getting a second dock, am i crazy?

They're stupidly expensive as I'll only get an official one but unfortunately they're like gold dust in the UK. Seen you can get a second hand one with cables for £65 and I've been debating it with myself for a few days now, but i am struggling to justify it. 

Having a dock in the other room would make playing it easier, especially when the missus is about, however I won't have the dock in the games room permanently as I love it in the front room and getting behind the front room TV isn't easy lol. 

Yet is £65-£90 worth it for a few extra hours here and there and convenience? I'm really unsure lol. Yes handheld is an option but 90% of the time I want the TV experience. The thought is coming to mind alot more though now longer RPGs are appearing on the system. 

Does anyone else have a second dock? 

I ended up just getting a second power brick and using an additional HDMI cable. Leaving the cables hanging where my dock usually goes ended up being cheaper than a second dock. The dock is easy enough to move on its own.

YMMV.

9 minutes ago, BleedsBlue said:

I ended up just getting a second power brick and using an additional HDMI cable. Leaving the cables hanging where my dock usually goes ended up being cheaper than a second dock. The dock is easy enough to move on its own.

YMMV.

That's a decent shout actually as I can get to the dock with ease, it's just the cables that are a pain in the arse. That set up could likely be done for under £30 n all which is a bonus. I'll have a think and a fiddle tomorrow to see what I think of that set up, that's exactly why I asked as I never considered that approach. Thank you @BleedsBlue

1 hour ago, zaangie said:

Just arrange your cables to be easy moving to other room. I don't see why you have to spend 60 bucks on a new dock. 

Not really possible with the front room set up, getting to the plug and behind the TV to ports is a serious pain. Damn missus buying a TV that's too big 😂😂

The second set of cables could work though as the dock is decently accessible. 

How you finding Pokemon?