Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Busby Babes, Fergie's Fledglings, Matt's Maestros?

Matthew

Well, it's been at least a year since I touched the Football Manager franchise and now I'm back with a device that can actually run it :P

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Matthew (call me Matt if you want ;) ) and I played FMH quite a lot a few years back, but for certain reasons, I took a year out last year which left me not commenting and posting so much on Vibe. But, this year, I've decided to give it another go and see how much my absence will affect my ability to play the game as well as I once did - that statement being completely subjective to you guys of course.

Having taken a look around Vibe at tactics and players, things have changed quite a bit with much wackier looking formations and such so, to get back in the swing of things, I thought I would start a career with my beloved Manchester United and see if what worked for me two years ago will still work now. I want this career mode to be an opportunity for me to get used to the game again, try out some new features and find the all important gems in this years version

Manchester United - Set Up

Manager name: Matthew Morgan

Leagues Loaded: English (All), German, Italian, Spanish

Team: Manchester United

Transfer Budget: £22.5M (after adjusting)

I'll provide you with more updates once I progress ;) Thanks for reading! 

Edited by Matthew

Hey Matthew. I've only been around for about a year (mainly lurking without actually registering), welcome back. I'm Connor.

We have started with the same team, same leagues loaded & same budget haha, so keep me posted with how you get on!

I've been mainly using 4-2-3-1 & 4-4-2 Attacking with 4-4-2 Diamond occasionally. In first season (over half way) & sitting 2nd at the moment (1 point shy of Arsenal).

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Brenty92 said:

Good luck, hope you get the passion back for fmh/fmm! :)

Thanks Brenty. I'm pretty sure this will do the trick. I've only played one competitive game and am already getting excited for the rest of the season.

11 minutes ago, Condo said:

Hey Matthew. I've only been around for about a year (mainly lurking without actually registering), welcome back. I'm Connor.

We have started with the same team, same leagues loaded & same budget haha, so keep me posted with how you get on!

I've been mainly using 4-2-3-1 & 4-4-2 Attacking with 4-4-2 Diamond occasionally. In first season (over half way) & sitting 2nd at the moment (1 point shy of Arsenal).

Good luck!

Thanks Connor. I've been usng a 4-2-3-1 as well while trying out a formation I made a few years ago - it's not been great but it's worked in pre-season against Oxford United :P What signings did you make? I've made a few, but would only consider one to be a big signing - did you find it hard to get signing at the start, or am I just aiming too big?

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

Thanks Brenty. I'm pretty sure this will do the trick. I've only played one competitive game and am already getting excited for the rest of the season.

Thanks Connor. I've been usng a 4-2-3-1 as well while trying out a formation I made a few years ago - it's not been great but it's worked in pre-season against Oxford United :P What signings did you make? I've made a few, but would only consider one to be a big signing - did you find it hard to get signing at the start, or am I just aiming too big?

I definitely have to agree, I did make quite a few signings but they were quite difficult and none were huge players.

I've just finished my first season and it was really successful, especially for the first season. I won the league by two points, won the FA Cup (skin of my teeth, extra time) & Capital Cup. Lost the Champions League final. I'm pretty sure I rode my luck to be honest partially & had a few really lucky draws in Cap Cup & FA Cup Did 'holiday' a couple of games too

I sold quite a few players & bought quite a few (not all at once, tried using both windows etc). I didn't tend to throw all the newcomers in the team straight away too.

So in no particular order I sold:

Herrera, Young, Valencia, Lingard & Fellaini

& I bought:

Odegaard, Tielemans (I always buy the biggest wonderkids if I can get them cheap enough - even if they don't work out), Jorge as backup for Shaw who actually developed better than Shaw, Passlack (back up for Darmian), Embolo, Gnoukouri, Avdijan, Ferati & Cubas. Like I said no major signings here but I was surprised at how quick some of these developed in one season. I loaned out Ferati, kept the rest in the club & all of them got quite a bit of first team action.

I had a few struggles (I'm aware I'm waffling on), the biggest one being the lack of a target man. Rooney can play there-ish but all the other strikers have no aerial threat so I put Depay in that position when Rooney wasn't fit. Oh, I also recalled Januzaj, felt as though I didn't have enough wingers.... that's probably cause I sold Valencia & Young ha!

Wow, I'll shut up now.

Well, I messed up. I actually forgot to take screenshots... Yeah, I'm not used to this anymore xP I've got some but they show much detail. Nevertheless, let's get this going!

Manchester United - End of Season Update, Season 1

English Premier Division

Screenshot_2015-11-22-02-01-04_zpsibav1f

It was a convincing victory in the league. We were two games in hand for a majority of the league and a point behind Chelsea in first. A 3-1 victory at Stamford Bridge all but sealed the championship.

English FA Cup

Screenshot_2015-11-22-02-01-55_zpszebuea

We went into half-time 2-0 up but a red card to Phil Jones early on allowed them to get two goals back. A 3-0 victory in the penalty shootout (De Gea is AMAZING) and we won another trophy!

Capital One Cup

Screenshot_2015-11-22-02-01-36_zpsiakuyk

I don't remember much of this fixture due to how early it is in the season. I'd like to think it was a convincing victory, nonetheless :P

European Champions Cup

Screenshot_2015-11-22-01-56-43_zpskjh68u

I REMEMBERED ONE! And we won everything this year! Admittedly, this was a lucky victory. A late equaliser from Martial, who is a beast, and a winner from substitute Mata brought the famous trophy hack to Old Trafford once more

Transfers

Screenshot_2015-11-21-18-11-54_zpsea5cz0

One good transfer imo. I needed pace down the right hand side and I'm not the biggest fan of Valencia, however, I love him at DR. Carlos Vela was the perfect player. Only bad aspect is his average stamina (13 atm). Ronaldinho did well at the start but, following an injury and in conjunction with his age, he's begun to decline. Fellaini moved out because, frankly, I don't rate him. Best thing about him is our shared birthday - which is today BTW. I didn't have the biggest budget but my second season budget was ridiculous in comparison.

Manager History

Screenshot_2015-11-22-11-51-52_zpsknhmnm

2 losses. Frankly, it's amazing. David De Gea averaged just over one goal concedes every 2 games and kept us in so many matches. We won a lot of matches 1-0 but I'd rather have only one goal than getting a draw or a lose.

IMO, this was the perfect first season. I've already won everything! Next season, we'll hopefully get some big names in, more youngsters and win everything all over again! (Again, sorry for the lack of screenies. It'll changed for next season ;) )

Couple of things I wanted to ask:

1. How often would you guys like to see updates? It takes me a while to finish a season due to a lot of schoolwork so I only get to play for long periods of time at the weekend. Would you like more frequent updates so you get something to read or should I stick to the End of Season Updates?
  2. Any players you would like me to sign and see how they develop on Intensive Training? I've signed a few youngsters who can only really improve mentally due to IT so I can use this save as an opportunity for all of us to see some developing players.
  3. Can anyone suggest a better title? :P Particularly a replacement for the word 'men'. It's just not as catchy as the Busby Babes, is it?!

Also, thanks to those of you who have looked at this. I'm already starting to enjoy FMH (or should I say FMM) as much as I once did!

1. End of season for me so we can see each seasons results rather than being broke up into 3/4 parts throughout the season.

2. What position do you need cover or first teamers? 

3. Matthew's Maestro's?

I have a save with MU as well which was going perfect until I shipped out too many players that I don't rate irl haha. Then I realised I had far too many inexperienced players so if I were you I'd think of finding a suitable replacement for Schweinsteiger. I have Gnoukouri who is great but lacks experience. Maybe a couple of strong midfielders? I'm only going from my experience this season, not sure if yours will be going the same

11 minutes ago, Brenty92 said:

2. What position do you need cover or first teamers? 

I think the only position I need cover for really is the forward position. I've shipped out James Wilson on loan for just being ridiculous, thinking he should be a first team regular over Martial and Rooney who scored 34 and 35 goals respectively last season. I've got no money to make a signing though, so I'll probably just bring a few more young players on loan and see how they grow. Had a massive signing. I may do a Start of Season update just because of it :P

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

I think the only position I need cover for really is the forward position. I've shipped out James Wilson on loan for just being ridiculous, thinking he should be a first team regular over Martial and Rooney who scored 34 and 35 goals respectively last season. I've got no money to make a signing though, so I'll probably just bring a few more young players on loan and see how they grow. Had a massive signing. I may do a Start of Season update just because of it :P

Embolo of Basel develops into quite a decent player. Primarily a Poacher but his stats really say otherwise tbh, can be quite a good target man. Can get him fairly cheaply unless he's developed too much. Wilson actually has become a bit of a super sub on my save, I went through a real rough patch in the second season (lost a run of 4 games!) and Wilson seemed to be the only solid scorer so I wouldn't write him off too quick.