Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics Frustrated

Questions I have about tactics .

1. Everyone post these amazing tactics a screenshot these amazing seasons . It never seems to go that way for when I copy the tactics posted and play suited players for it. If the tactic does work it's only for a short period of time . What am I doing wrong?

2. It's seems recommended to not constantly change your formation but the A.I teams doing it numerous times during a game . 

3. Can someone please give me the best plug and play tactic for the prem. i will Dec had a top 10 link or something with all the screen shots of the best tactics . 

Unfortunately there are no real plug and play tactics. Each game needs preparation. I don't tend to mess about with my formation too much but I will certainly change the settings to try and respond to each opponent. Squad rotation is essential too, as tired players will not perform to the same standard. Other than that, check morale and keep it high using player interaction and giving your whole squad game time. Keep persevering and you will find what works for you.

I understand your frustration - but what kind of football Do you want to play ?

what kind of team do you want to manage ? 

Cheers Anders

It's actually funny , I coach for a living , I used to play champ man back in the day when it first came out . It was a lot easier then . 

I like to play a tight 442 diamond or 4231 with my teams I coach depending on players and weather my full backs are able to get forward. I encourage pressing and playing possession soccer . 

I look at at A.I and they are constantly changing their players roles and shape during a game . Should I do that like in real life ? In a real game I would instruct players differently depending on how the game is going . I.e telling fullbacks to stay back if winning , or encouraging them to get forward when losing . 

I notice there is the primary outlet and attacker option now . In real life you would encourage your team to feed a particular winger the ball if they are having a lot of success going at their defender .

you talked about interacting with the squad . How often do you congratulate your team ? 

One thing that is annoying is the A.I seems to constantly play players out of position with roles that are not suited and have success . Can we then .

well that's enough so far, hopefully people can give more advice . 

This year is much more difficult in my opinion, with the new player traits they have a massive influence on how your players play as a team, you have to look at your players and there traits individually.

So if you have a player set as a winger for instance and his traits are more of a INF then he will struggle, you really need to build a tactic and select your desired player roles and then fit the players to them certain roles.

Weird and wonderful tactics will work you just need a balance in your team.

Like Lee said plus player roles seem mor important in this years game. 

Last year I would put a player in a role that his attributes allowed him to play. E.g I would put a central mid player in the DM position if his stats gave me what I wanted. Also I would play attacking midfielders /wingers in an advanced forward position with outstanding success.

This year seems to penalise you when playing players out of their natural position/role. 

Interesting Stephen - i never consider the weather in this game - how do you use it to your advantage ?

and yes the AI changes the tactic A LOT - some manage to counter it - how do you play against 451 - thats my main issue :)

I'm really not one who should give advice , I play with Everton and so far finished 9th, 8th, and now sitting 5th . 

If the game is built on realism you would think during winter play short passing may not work due to the surface . Vice versa if it's windy would more direct approaches be effected? 

I have aves tarted to switch to mixed from short if there is bad weather .

when giving roles I have been keeping the same formation frame work and changing the roles of the players depending on who I select while keeping it as balanced as possible. 

Question : when doing player interaction , players that have " responds to public pressure" don't seem to respond well to positive public praise . Should I be negative ? 

Still battling to break the top 4 sitting 6th . I guess realistically that's good for Everton. I just read of these players on here winning the prem with average teams like Newcastle and Aston villa . 

Been praising individuals and it has raised a lot of my players happiness . I do have a few dick players that get effected negatively . I find this funny . You tell a player good job and he gets depressed? Lol

can someone explain the traits ? Some players get a ton of green and black ones . Other players who are also good have 1 or two . Does that mean they are worse? Does a player have to have a lot of green to be considered good ? Do the black ones mean anything positive ? 

4 hours ago, Stephen Thomas Sb said:

can someone explain the traits ? Some players get a ton of green and black ones . Other players who are also good have 1 or two . Does that mean they are worse? Does a player have to have a lot of green to be considered good ? Do the black ones mean anything positive ? 

I wrote a mini-guide that goes into player roles, and how they can affect how a player plays, have a look if you're interested and if you're still unsure, I'll try to answer as best I can with my own personal experiences.

4 hours ago, Stephen Thomas Sb said:

Been praising individuals and it has raised a lot of my players happiness . I do have a few dick players that get effected negatively . I find this funny . You tell a player good job and he gets depressed? Lol

Yeah, this is quite annoying with certain players. One of my star strikers responds negatively to everything. I can either praise or criticise him, both publicly and privately and he always reacts negatively, no matter how well or how badly he's doing, it's really frustrating, since if he does badly, I can only hope he starts scoring to raise his morale, because saying anything to him makes him upset.

As for tactics in general, I've managed to get a team promoted from the Scottish League 2 to the Scottish Championship in my first few seasons, so I'm not finding it too hard. I've had to change my tactics a fair few times in each season, but I generally stick to the same tactics. If I'm conceding a lot, I play a counter-attacking defensive game, if I'm in good form, I try to take advantage of that and switch to a more open, free-flowing game.

its also very important not to keep switching tactics every time you lose, sometimes there will be a bad 2-3 game run and you have to ride it out. If you have an easy league cup draw, play your best team to try and get a new run of form going. Players seem to adapt to positions and formations so give it time before giving up.

5 hours ago, locomofo said:

I wrote a mini-guide that goes into player roles, and how they can affect how a player plays, have a look if you're interested and if you're still unsure, I'll try to answer as best I can with my own personal experiences.

Yeah, this is quite annoying with certain players. One of my star strikers responds negatively to everything. I can either praise or criticise him, both publicly and privately and he always reacts negatively, no matter how well or how badly he's doing, it's really frustrating, since if he does badly, I can only hope he starts scoring to raise his morale, because saying anything to him makes him upset.

As for tactics in general, I've managed to get a team promoted from the Scottish League 2 to the Scottish Championship in my first few seasons, so I'm not finding it too hard. I've had to change my tactics a fair few times in each season, but I generally stick to the same tactics. If I'm conceding a lot, I play a counter-attacking defensive game, if I'm in good form, I try to take advantage of that and switch to a more open, free-flowing game.

I will take a look , thanks for the help ! 

I always play with everton or aberdeen or montrose. So in fm15 had a lot of experience in the Scottish leagues . 

You said you generally stick to the same tactics . What are they ? 

On 29 November 2015 at 02:57:37, Stephen Thomas Sb said:

I will take a look , thanks for the help ! 

I always play with everton or aberdeen or montrose. So in fm15 had a lot of experience in the Scottish leagues . 

You said you generally stick to the same tactics . What are they ? 

No problem! Also, the Scottish League is an interesting one, low budgets, average stadia and pretty poor training facilities are always an interesting challenge, besides the typical start in the Vanarama leagues. Even the top teams of the SPL aren't too wealthy, they're comparable with League 1 teams and Championship teams from England.

Tactics-wise, I'm pretty flexible. In each FMH/M, I've had different tactics that do and don't work. I don't really think plug-and-play really works, because of a whole range of different factors, but there's no harm in telling you my tactics. In the Scottish League 2, I started off with a wonky 4-4-2, with the RM in the RW position, so more of a 4-3-1-2. The RW played as an IF, and I had a BWM and AP in the CM positions. Kept it clean and simple for the strikers, a strong, old TM and a Poacher, ideally this allows the poacher to leech off any balls that TM might not be able to finish, with the RW cutting in late to provide extra support, and the AP is also able to feed the ball back into the box. Had a WB on the right to make up for the IF who would be cutting in often, and a FB on the left to provide balance. Played normal CBs and a GK. With this tactic, I changed my instructions whenever I needed. If certain players weren't performing, I made sure to have replacements. I can replace my old TM with an Advanced Fwd, and play a short, attacking game, or continue my counter-attacking direct game with a TM up front.

My tactics are never picture-perfect. On paper, they can look pretty atrocious. I once had a formation that had a ST on the left, an IF on the right, and an AP in the middle, with a WM in the LM position. Mix and match to find a formation that suits your players. That's the key, finding something that works with the current bunch of players you've got. Don't force a tactic that worked with another team on them, try to see each players' strengths and find players who's strengths fit well together. Have a winger who loves to cross, but never cuts inside? Play him along with your Target Man! Have really strong CMs, but no good wingers? Play a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 or a 4-4-2 Diamond! Just make sure to have instructions that follow the style of play you want, and if needed, make signings to fill in a role. This might all sound really obvious but really, that's all I've been doing in both FMM/H and the PC version of FM. It gets a lot easier with experience, once something happens, you'll know what to do to fix that. You can also get familiar with your players, and this can lead to a better understanding of your team. I'm sure this is also true for you in real life as a coach.

Anyways, that was one long wall of text. That went longer than I thought it would've   -_-   Hope it helped!

Edited by locomofo