Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Challenges The Scoring With Pensioners Challenge

Peely

Scoring With Pensioners

winking_babushka.jpg

In this challenge you seek to emmulate Manchester United's money-hungry pachyderm, Wayne Rooney, on a night out in Manchester...

Of course not! This is a twist on the most popular challenge on Vibe, based around my strange fascination with the more mature goal-hangers in the game.

It's the 1k Challenge, but not as you know it. Instead of picking a promising youngster and guiding them to a decuple century of goals over many years, you have to hit the 1k mark by making use of a succession of elderly strikers.

The challenge:

• You can start at any club (not one created with "My Club", though).
  • In the first season you need to select a striker who is at least 34 years old and get them to score as many goals as possible.
  • At the end of the season you pack them off to the retirement home and bring in another doddery old gent, who will be your striker for the next season.
  • You continue like this until you score 1,000 goals or are forced to retire in disgrace after 30 seasons.

The rules:

• No unlockables allowed, except those you unlock during the save.
  • You can only use your own tactics.
  • You can only use players who are 34 or over. They don't have to be natural strikers, but you have to play them as a forward.
  • In the unlikely event of there being no players available over the age of 34, you can either throw in the towel or play on until one becomes available.
  • Each striker can only be at your club for one season - no stocking up on strikers in advance or keeping them around afterwards. You can use a player who has been part of your team earlier in the save provided they have not been at your club for at least five seasons prior to their season as your "chosen one".
  • No cheating (i.e. reloading to avoid injuries, replaying matches etc.)
  • No text changes, use of the save editor or pre-editor.
  • International goals do not count.
  • Either match engine is allowed, but I suspect it will be much, much harder using the enhanced engine.

With thirty seasons to work with, this should be easily achievable (at least on the original engine), but bear in mind that players tend to retire relatively early if not under human management, so the supply of good strikers may dwindle as the years go by.

The thing that appeals to me about doing the challenge in this way is that you're free to move around from club to club and league to league, without having to worry about taking a player with you or the reputation of the club you go to. As long as you can find an old enough striker each season, you could move every year, going from the depths of the Skrill North to the top of La Liga over the course of your career.

In the end this may be more of an endurance challenge than anything else, but hopefully the scope for variety will keep things entertaining enough to keep people going.

I completed this challenge on FMH2014 and it was hugely enjoyable, despite being a seriously long-term slog with a few very frustrating periods (*shakes his fist at Germany*). I hope some of you will give it a go.

Edited by Peely

I really enjoyed following your pensioner career in 2014, and thought of playing one myself back then but ut never happened. Might give it a go after my current career.

I do have one questions though: Is it ok if the player will turn 34 during the season you are playing him or does he have to be 34 when you sign him?

He has to be 34 when you sign him. It was originally 35, but I found that virtually all good players under AI management retired before age 35, so lowered the limit slightly to avoid very boring careers. This was after a season where I was forced to play an Iranian defensive midfielder as a striker, since he was the best player over the age of 35 that I could find!

What about the possibility of starting with a player already at the club you manage, like Klose at Lazio for the first season, would that be acceptable?

I'd be okay with that. The rule is really just to stop people training up a succession of old men at their club, so starting in the first season with a player at your starting club is fine.

I have just started this challenge and its proving to be fun. Was a bit twitchy to start with as it was looking like i had perhaps made a mistake by managing Liverpool for the challenge. However, now i have a good team behind the striker, the goals are flowing, even in ECL. I have my shopping list sorted for the next 3-4 seasons, but things will get tricky after that. Currently in my 4th season with a 34yo Carlos Tevez up front. He is an absolute beast even at that age. Next season will hopefully be 34/35yo Ronaldo. What i have learnt so far is that CA does not really make that much of a difference if the important stats are still in place. Previous strikers have been Van Persie, Ibrahimovic and Oliveria. Will post some screens later into the challenge :)

First post on here to say I'm giving this a go - great idea for a challenge.

Started with Celtic and done 2 seasons so far with some success. Will post up some details soon.