Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Austin at Southampton

Risheek

Austin at Southampton

How will Charlie Austin fare at Southampton

Charlie Austin has put pen to paper on a four-and-a-half-year contract at St Mary's after passing a medical and agreeing personal terms with the Saints.

Ronald Koeman said last month that Jay Rodriguez's persistent injury problems could force him into the market for a new forward, and Austin's arrival gives the Saints a 26-year-old who scored 18 Premier League goals last season.

Austin will provide competition for Southampton’s main striker’s Shane Long and Graziano Pelle, who are Southampton’s joint top-scorer with seven goals so far.

Let’s see what FMM has to say about his move

Charlie Austin

IMG_1181.thumb.PNG.42093c3f4e4cab0e22503

A great player all around. 14 aerial shows that he can get up and score when crosses come in from Tadic and Prowse. His dribbling and passing could be better, but the less he passes the more goals he’ll score. His dribbling needs to improve or he’ll find it hard to get past the defences of top clubs, like Man City. An amazing 19 at shooting, no doubt he can score. His general stats are also decent. Decisions, something important for every striker, stands at 17 for him. His movement is also great, therefore he can adjust to the situation. His physical stats are totally amazing as well His pace is great so not many defenders will be able catch him. Both his stamina and strength stand at 15, which is amazing as then he’ll be able to play that extra match.

History

Charles Austin is now one of the EPL’s biggest stars but before all this, not many people would know, he was a bricklayer. Yes, a bricklayer. He put bricks and made houses. He would leave the building site drive to Lymington and take a ferry to the Isle of Wight. From there he and his Poole Town teammates would go to their match. His first break-through was when he scored a hattrick against Brading Town. He made moves to bigger sides one by one. Poole Town to Swindon to Burnley to QPR and now, Southampton. His success story is one to be remembered

Now, we will have a look at how he would fit better, or worse, at Southampton

Potential Roles

Poacher- Austin is traditional poacher with his normal role as poacher as well. This is best as he places shots, meaning his shots are accurate. He also tries first time shots, needed for any poacher. When you have both these traits it forms an amazing, no, incredible player. He tries shots whenever he’s near the goal and is accurate so he can get it into the goal. This is definitely the best role to play him, and I would recommend this. Southampton will also look to take advantage of this and this might mean a goal-filled second half of the season

Advanced Forward- This is also a great position for him as he moves into channels and, again, is very accurate.  So, this might be a second position for him. Southampton, will exploit this when he is played with his other teammates such as Graziano Pelle

Comparison

Sadio Mane

IMG_1182.thumb.PNG.23bfcd7fb10b9e27897df

Sadio Mane is definitely a better player compared to Austin. However, Austin has a few stats better than Mane, stamina, strength, Decisions and of course shooting. All this might be due to the different roles they play, Austin a poacher and Mane, an Inside forward and Austin is older so, experience would be why Koeman might pick Austin over Mane

His Real-Life Status

Mane has been linked with moves away from Southampton since summer. He’s been heavily linked with Man Utd. However two bids have been rejected for him and it seems that he won’t be moving anywhere. However, it is most likely that he won’t be a striker and rather a winger.

Jay Rodriguez

IMG_1183.thumb.PNG.51f0ecc0dd31cea78fc03

Jay is also a poacher like Austin. He, like, Mane seems like the better choice with the stats he has. Jay is a great dribbler and his creativity isn’t bad either (Man Utd should have a look at him). However, Austin’s shooting is still better and his physical stats are better than Jay’s which is of course why he should be the starter.

His Real-Life Status

Jay is currently out for 5-6 weeks. This was the main reason that Austin even made a move. Jay needed a surgery of his foot and Austin was the man to replace.

`Shane Long

IMG_1184.thumb.PNG.4c37e6b7482ab10232207

Austin is the better player compared to Long in terms of attacking stats. Shane Long only has 11 shooting which is somewhat underwhelming for an experienced Premier League striker. However Long makes up for this in other ways as he's decent in the air, full of running and a general hard worker who will create space for the rest of the team.. So basically I feel he can be a better supporting player, the role which fits is his natural, Target Man.

His Real-Life Status                                                                    

Shane has been linked with a move to Liverpool, and that might also be a reason as to why Austin was bought, to replace the departing Shane Long. Long and Austin would work deadly with the bond they share. Shane actually played for Reading, the club Austin had his youth career at.

Juanmi

IMG_1186.thumb.PNG.40b5e39fea1c28e6a0fed

Juanmi has just moved from Malaga for 5.75M. Juanmi is an excellent striker with 16 dribbling,15 passing and shooting and an amazing player but at 22, he doesn’t have experience, which he requires. He at the most will only be a back-up.

His Real-Life Status

Juanmi, just came in the summer window, and is already being linked to a move back to Malaga. Weird if you ask me, and so far, without a bid from Malaga, I might be wrong about him moving. A great back-up nonetheless.

Graziano Pelle

IMG_1187.thumb.PNG.135a91e270d10abb1804b

By far the best striker Southampton have at the moment. He has experience, great stats and also, is a target man. If he and Austin are linked up, Southampton could challenge for a spot for the UCL. Pelle is an amazing player, with 16 Aerial,15 passing and, like Austin, 19 shooting. This my friends is a class striker

His Real-Life Status

Pelle is having a double trouble of a problem. Southampton don’t want to renew his contract so he might be leaving in 18 months and if he wants to stay he must perform. Secondly, he is not yet 100% fit from his injury but once he returns, Southampton are gonna have goal-fests.

That is all for comparisons to the strikers already at the club

Simulation

How better to see how he will turn out, then doing a simulation.

1 year later…

IMG_1191.thumb.PNG.a1f08d0ff55f65627922e

A +1 in shooting brings him to a perfect 20 in shooting. The goals should be flowing in for Southampton. A +1 in Decisions as well, Austin’s age is kicking in however not any improvement other than that but it is acceptable. His ratings are great as well. 8s and that one 6 shows that he is fitting in Southampton.

3 years later…

IMG_1199.thumb.PNG.6dcc50c6c2426a4a76542

Age has caught up with the man and he experiences a -1 in stamina. His ratings are now becoming quite random. A 4 in between, is disappointing from a player of his calibre and his morale is also poor and I guess age does take effect. Nonetheless a great journey from a great player

Charlie Austin-A Final Look

IMG_1199.thumb.PNG.6dcc50c6c2426a4a76542

IMG_1200.thumb.PNG.5a8bf6bbbf86b73e2c496

These three years have been great for him. He hit 24 in 46 in his first season, and also helped his mates to 4. Next season was a bit disappointing, only bagging 18 goals. The transition of age, probably. The last season was his best by far, 27 in 46 and 8 assists.

Austin had a great 3 seasons at Southampton and it seems like he should in real life as well. He had shown an interest in the move and was keen to go to St Mary’s. Austin probably thinks that he’ll move to his dream team, Liverpool. Coz Liverpool buy so many players from Southampton, Clyne, Lallana and recently, they’ve been linked with, Long. A great player, Charles Austin is and a great player he’ll become with Southampton.

All in all, I feel Austin is a amazing player with even better potential. He should have no problem at Southampton and be the guy who brings them to new heights.

Note: The IGE was used to place Austin in Southampton

Thanks for viewing

Risheek

Edited by Risheek
Just now, Dec said:

Great work and what a bargain for Southampton. Very interesting piece. Well done.

Thanks! It's an Honour hearing that from you :D 

It seems like you've taken these simulation ideas and ran with them! Great work pal keep it up, can't wait to see more like this from yourself, I personally would love Austin to do well as he is an English striker I've admired for many years, so fingers crossed he can hit the ground running! Great article mate ???

3 minutes ago, Brenty92 said:

It seems like you've taken these simulation ideas and ran with them! Great work pal keep it up, can't wait to see more like this from yourself, I personally would love Austin to do well as he is an English striker I've admired for many years, so fingers crossed he can hit the ground running! Great article mate ???

I'm starting to enjoy simulations, but taking a break for a while.

Strange transfer fee, even considering his soon running out contract. Presumably the only thing standing in Norwich's way was wages. I imagine he'll be earning 70-90k!!! One note on the article; when you said that Southampton could challenge for UCL if they paired up Austin and Pelle, do you mean this season?(very unlikely from their current position. Also I'm pretty sure we won't see Pelle and Austin playing together.

4 hours ago, Toji said:

Great read Risheek!! Thanks! Keep it up for the next simulation!!!

Thanks

3 hours ago, Fish18ish said:

Strange transfer fee, even considering his soon running out contract. Presumably the only thing standing in Norwich's way was wages. I imagine he'll be earning 70-90k!!! One note on the article; when you said that Southampton could challenge for UCL if they paired up Austin and Pelle, do you mean this season?(very unlikely from their current position. Also I'm pretty sure we won't see Pelle and Austin playing together.

I didn't mean challenge for UCL, I had a typo, I meant challenge for a spot in Europa. UCL is way off them. I'm sure we will see enough of them. Though, Pelle does have 18 months left and is being chased by Juve an Fiorentina. He won't be here fr long but we will see him and Austin together

Edited by Risheek
4 hours ago, Fish18ish said:

Even if you're speaking about the Europa league it'd be a challenge.

That's why I said they could challenge for it ;)