Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Can Burnley Replicate Watford?

Burnley.thumb.jpg.7f98a83fbc2fa7e4b6cdda

Leicester may be setting the Premier League alight this season, turning the old order on it's head as they defy logic and winning the title, but had it not been for such an extreme change in form and fortune from the Foxes, it's probable that another 'unfashionable' side would have won the hearts and captured the imaginations of many, and that side is Watford.

Having been to Wembley for an FA Cup semi-final, Quique Sanchez Flores' side have had quite a season in the top-flight, their first since 2006/07. Safely in lower midtable may be a little underwhelming now given their amazing form before Christmas, but the way they've gone about their business this season, mixing defensive stability with good passing football and clinical attacking play, is testament to the players and the manager.

They give hope to a number of Championship sides, who can take inspiration from their 2015/16 campaign. The changing make-up of the Premier League and looking like they might be 'next season's Watford' are Burnley.

Former Hornets boss Sean Dyche has the side purring at the moment, unbeaten since Boxing Day and have just secured promotion back up to the Premier League.

With more recent experience of top tier football than Watford had prior to their promotion, the Turf Moor outfit are in an even better position to emulate the success of their former Championship rivals. The squad has a good blend of youth and experience, including some that have prior Premier League know-how, as has the manager.

Dyche

Screenshot_2016-05-02-21-35-07.thumb.png

might not have the suave continental charm of

Quique Flores

Screenshot_2016-05-02-21-35-30.thumb.png

but he instils a similar amount of organisation, discipline and work-ethic amongst his players, delivered with equally gravel-toned inflection, all be it in a markedly different accent.

That's not to detract from the football though. Burnley far and away the top-scorers in the Championship and play some attractive, fast, free-flowing football alongside the team-work and close knit ethos at the club. Replace the names of

Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo

Screenshot_2016-05-02-20-54-18.thumb.pngScreenshot_2016-05-02-20-54-22.thumb.png

with Sam Vokes and Andre Gray,

Screenshot_2016-05-02-20-53-50.thumb.pngScreenshot_2016-05-02-20-53-40.thumb.png

and you have a similarly lethal pair of strikers, equally prolific in their output.

It's not just this season that the Watford pair have shone together, combining for over 40 goals in the Championship last time out. And Gray and Vokes seem on course to reach a similar goal return - the Welsh duo already have 31 between them. The Championship can be a tough and unforgiving league, but Burnley show that decent football can be played in combination with solidity and organisation and of course. Having two prolific strikers only helps the cause, too.

So where will Burnley need to strengthen for FMM17?

Screenshot_2016-05-02-21-28-36.thumb.pngScreenshot_2016-05-02-21-28-43.thumb.png

Flair in the final 3rd

I feel that although they have scored plenty of goals and broken down defences on a number of occasions throughout this season. I think if you were to chose to manager Burnley in FMM17 then you will need to add a different dimension to their game if they are to survive in the Premiership 

Grealish

Screenshot_2016-05-02-22-24-51.thumb.png

I think it will be hard for Villa to try and keep hold of him and plenty of Premiership team will come in for the tricky winger. The fact that he can play in all position across the attacking 3rd and has great attributes in his Dribbling and Technique will help he find the gaps between the defence and help set up Gray and Vokes

Seferovic

Screenshot_2016-05-02-22-25-02.thumb.png

They are going to need another option up top incase the lethal duo don't perform as well in the Premiership and this is the option I would pick. Great finishing, decisions along with strong physicals all bode well that he would suit the style of Burnley and the Premiership

Promes

Screenshot_2016-05-02-22-25-19.thumb.png

Much like Grealish this player will add flair to their game and with his Dribbling, Movement and Pace he will sure cause plenty of defender problems.

Gray  (on loan)

Screenshot_2016-05-02-22-25-29.thumb.png

Not to sure how much he will feature for the Premiership Champions next season so it might be beneficial for both parties if he went out on loan. Burnley would be a great place for the young English lad to express his talent with his Dribbling, Creativity and Pace being something Burnley could use.

Strength in depth at the back

Will Keane and Mee be able to stop the likes of Costa, Vardy and Aguero? I think if they do decide to stick with their very successful back 5 (including the keeper) then they are still going to need player to offer depth to the squad or add another dimension.

Brooks

Screenshot_2016-05-02-22-28-05.thumb.png

This lad hs got great attributes. The key ones for me are his speed and strength along with his tackling and aerial attributes which make him a very well rounded defender but also one that can get back quick to cover and play the ball out from the back.

Rincon

Screenshot_2016-05-02-22-28-54.thumb.png

They should be able to pick him up on the cheap as Troyes are dropping down to Ligue 2 as of next season. He doesn't look much attributes wise but he is very well rounded and will definitely be a good squad player.

Simao 

Screenshot_2016-05-02-22-30-48.thumb.png

Another player they should be able to pick up fairly cheap they might need to change from their 4-4-2 formation throughout the season or even during games. Simao will be the perfect Ball winning midfielder for them has amazing positioning, decisions and stamina so you know that he can put in a shift for the whole 90 minutes shielding the defence from the oppositions attacks

Sidibe 

Screenshot_2016-05-02-22-38-04.thumb.png

Again they are going to need to add some depth to the team. Sidibe will also add a more attacking threat then Lawton with his Pace and Stamina he will be able to overlap on the right to help the team when going forward.

Jorge 

Screenshot_2016-05-02-22-38-10.thumb.png

This young Brazilian doesn't look to much at the moment but I think he will definitely be a very strong squad player for Burnley. With good passing and technique he will offer again a more attacking left back and add a different dimension to Burnley game.

I think Leicester and Watford has shown that you don't need to buy big and make wholesale changes to stay and do well in the Premiership. QPR made this mistake buy spending money on Premiership player on the decline and it didn't work out for them.

If Burnley keep the squad as it is and just add more depth and have a Plan B if there 4-4-2 isn't working I can seem them having a very strong season.

Thank you as always for taking the time to read. Let me know your thought in how Burnley should buy.

And as always I will speak to you legends soon!

4 hours ago, UKFootballScore said:

5 hours ago, Dec said:

A really interesting read. Well done mate.

Cheers Dec hope it might make people want to play as Burnley 

4 hours ago, UKFootballScore said:

Great stuff mike 'Nearly' makes me want to do a Burnley save 

Nearly... what can I do to push you over the edge 

3 hours ago, Roffatje said:

Nice write up! Good job.

Cheers buddy. Glad you enjoyed it

2 hours ago, pipaz4 said:

Great idea mate they do have a lot of similarities, cheers.

Thank you for taking the time to read it.

1 hour ago, M4cc4n4 said:

Nice Job obvious alot of effort has went into this! Great analysis.

Yeah it did but I am glad you enjoyed reading it.

Great article mate, if it weren't for me already having failed at burnley this year I probably would have been motivated to do so lol, keep up the good work! ??

15 hours ago, Brenty92 said:

Great article mate, if it weren't for me already having failed at burnley this year I probably would have been motivated to do so lol, keep up the good work! ??

Cheers mate.  Really appreciate the comment. It inspires me to want to do more. 

1 hour ago, JustM1kePlays said:

Cheers mate.  Really appreciate the comment. It inspires me to want to do more. 

Credit where it's due and all that ?? look forward to more from you buddy ?

Great read. Graelish is a risky move for any team tho bcoz of his off the field issues. Constantly in the paper and his form is lacking the quality. 

I hope he turns out good tho!

1 hour ago, kylieboi88 said:

Great read. Graelish is a risky move for any team tho bcoz of his off the field issues. Constantly in the paper and his form is lacking the quality. 

I hope he turns out good tho!

There is that but with the right manager he can become a very good player. You can see he has talent.  Just hope he doesn't turn out to be another one of those that could have been great 

1 hour ago, JustM1kePlays said:

There is that but with the right manager he can become a very good player. You can see he has talent.  Just hope he doesn't turn out to be another one of those that could have been great 

Nasty Grealish Picked England, Personally I hope he's a complete flop!

I think with the relegation of Aston Villa and Newcastle, Burnley can pick some quality player from them and forget Norwich......

Norwich's squad is the worst for the PRM

Edited by PoPo Chan