Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat My understanding...

My understanding of current ability (CA) and potential ability (PA) is that:

• current ability - a number out of 200 representing how good the player is right now
  • potential ability - a number out of 200 representing how good the player could be

I also know that potential ability never changes but current ability increases with game time but can also decrease and these are only viewable with the PGE, IGE and Save Editor. But the problem with this understanding is that I'm not quite sure whether stats and current ability are linked and also which is more important: stats or current ability.

On a sidenote what it the highest stat growth that there is or you have come across?

Edited by theundergoat

You are 100% correct. Current Ability can grow/decrease dependent on game time, form and age where as PA never changes and that is their "top" level.

High attributes do usually come from high CA but CA isn't all important. For example if a player has 140 CA but has 15 in all needed attributes for a role, he is better than 160 CA and worse attributes for these roles. Also you have hidden attributes like consistency, big game pressure and determination that can help with performances or growth.

Basically CA is good at judging a players' ability from one number, but attributes (an in particular the hidden ones) are better at judging how good the actual player is even though these increase due to better CA, yet as no two players are the same these are different dependent on them player and you can only judge CA by the same player really to see how much he has grown.

6 minutes ago, theundergoat said:

If CA and PA aren't the same as stats the same why do some players especially youngsters stats not grow? Is this to do with a low PA?

CA influences attributes but you cannot really judge players on it as a striker may have better passing but not shooting with a higher CA. It all depends on the player. For example a central midfielder may have 150 CA and be a Deep Lying Midfielder, you may also have a 150 CA Box to Box Midfielder. You cannot compare them two.

Youngsters may not grow due to lack of gametime, form or may have maxed at their potential.

I found that next to all players grow on your IT even if they don't get game time but then there's a lot youngster who don't grow and I'm surprised that 16 year old centre backs max out at 14 tackling or even less.

Edited by theundergoat
1 minute ago, theundergoat said:

I found that next to all players grow on your IT even if they don't get game time but then there's a lot youngster who don't grow and I'm surprised that 16 year old centre backs max out at 14 tackling or even less.

IT is good to get players up their CA quickly, but if there isn't much room to grow (distance between CA and PA) then you will find they max out quick.

4 minutes ago, Creeper69 said:

PA can change, but is very rare. In a save Allen Saint-Maximin has 145 PA and in other one he has 200.

I know there's a possibility of players getting other players PA when they retire.

Could someone answer my second question: what is the highest single stat growth there is?

Also on another sidenote how is current ability calculated?

5 minutes ago, theundergoat said:

Could someone answer my second question: what is the highest single stat growth there is?

Also on another sidenote how is current ability calculated?

Current Ability at the start of the game is calculated through research and then balancing by the researchers and the game. But as for how in game it is calculated it will never be known as revealing that will be a significant advantage to competitors.

Do you mean like shooting from 3 to 20? There's no limit to how much it can grow.

1 minute ago, theundergoat said:

Thanks for the reply @Dec

I just did a quick test with the IGE on Messi. Made him 0.5 star (around 1-20 CA) and his dribbling went from 20 to 7. Then put it back up and it went back to 20. So the growth could be around 13 as a maximum though it is unlikely a 20 CA player would have 180+ PA.