Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Challenges The Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge

The Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge

Sir Alex Ferguson is by far the best manager Britain has had the honour to see, and Man Utd are the lucky team he managed for almost 3 decades. Thus, I bring to you the Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge! I understand that @HashtagTatica has already posted this however, this is somewhat my version of the challenge. It does not differ that much from his though...

Sir Alex's story is well known around the world. He started off at East Stirlingshire with a team which had no goalkeepers. Then he led St Mirren to the Scottish League. In his last part in Scotland, he led Aberdeen to UCL success. After that, he made a move to England where he stayed for close to 3 decades, breaking records and making history. Now, for the challenge

Part 1

In the first part of the challenge, you have to emulate his success in Scotland.

- You can start at any Scottish Team

·      You cannot use Celtic, as it will make the challenge too easy

- Next, you have to win all the trophies he did:

·      3 Domestic Leagues

·      4 Domestic Cups

·      1 League Cup

·      1 Europa League 

·      1 European Super Cup

All those are most of the trophies he won at Aberdeen, excluding 1 which you need to win the Champions League for, however, due to the insane difficulty, I decided to cut that out. Beware, that you need to complete all this in 4 years due to the 30 year limit

Part 2

On November 6th 1986, Utd announced the signing of Sir Alex Ferguson. Manchester United, at that time, were struggling at 19th place. So, we will emulate all that as well.

-After you 4th season with you Scottish team, you have to resign, before the start of the season.

-Next, you have to holiday until 6th November, and see which team is in 19th place. This is your Man Utd!

- Due to your credentials from Scotland and the fact that a 19th placed team's manager's sacking is inevitable, you should easily get the job before January.

-Now, let's make it clear that there is no resigning from this club. If you are sacked, then game over.

-You have to capture the full SAF trophy cabinet and hopefully more, however there is a set limit on when you will have to get certain trophies by

·      Win a Domestic Cup within 4 seasons - The FA Cup was what saved SAF's job way back in 1989/90

·      Win a league title within 7 seasons- Fergie won his 1st in 1992

·      Win a Domestic Double within 8 seasons - Fergie got his in 93/94

·      Win the treble in 13 seasons- Fergie got the infamous treble in 1999

Just have a look at Fergie's trophy cabinet:

5768e30a8697e_Trophycabinet.png.4f43cd9e

Take a long hard look, You need to beat that, yes, beat that or at least come level. You need to achieve all that, as the bare minimum. It isn't important to achieve it all in the same order, but it is to well, achieve it!

Side Challenges:

- The 1KC

-Make your own Class of 92

-11 Manager of the Year
-27 Manager Of the Month Awards

Rules

• No preferences/unlockables

• No uses of text changes, save editor or IGE

• No cheating - Reloading to win a cup or avoid an injury

• The other usual stuff, you know

Thanks for reading guys and good luck to those who attempt it. I myself will try it soon!

Risheek

Edited by Risheek

Looks tough mate (that Celtic rule will make it harder). As a Liverpool fan I won't attempt this (he brought the end of Liverpool dominance) but I feel that this challenge will be a great career for whoever attempts it. 

1 hour ago, Real_Random said:

Looks tough mate (that Celtic rule will make it harder). As a Liverpool fan I won't attempt this (he brought the end of Liverpool dominance) but I feel that this challenge will be a great career for whoever attempts it. 

Tell me about it... I started it with ______.  I've gotten 2 draws and 1 win so far. I would think that's good. But then again, we do only have 11 teams in the league

Ah, Sir Alex will be proud of that won't he?

Edited by Risheek
50 minutes ago, Risheek said:

Tell me about it... I started it with ______.  I've gotten 2 draws and 1 win so far. I would think that's good. But then again, we do only have 11 teams in the league

Ah, Sir Alex will be proud of that won't he?

I wish you luck in trying to finish the challenge. I have played in Scotland before and I find it very boring with just Celtic going for the title (I know Rangers are there too but they are in the championship and when promoted they can't instantly compete with Celtic) so hopefully you don't get bored with the Scotland part

Good Luck with your attempt

Edited by Real_Random
28 minutes ago, Real_Random said:

I wish you luck in trying to finish the challenge. I have played in Scotland before and I find it very boring with just Celtic going for the title (I know Rangers are there too but they are in the championship and when promoted they can't instantly compete with Celtic) so hopefully you don't get bored with the Scotland part

Good Luck with your attempt

Well, what I say next will probably give away my team... But, the Europa League makes it more interesting. Especially with Liverpool in your group. My only competitors so far for the Europa

7 minutes ago, Mikee1984 said:

Wow now that looks tough mate, look forward to seeing how you get on.

Me too ;) Nah, it's going well, Celtic aren't too far ahead. Only tied on GD, luckily, but I expect a tough competition ahead. Not to mention Europa is gonna get harder after the group stages as well. Racing towards my first Domestic cup. Hopefully I get a treble int the first season

Well at least your still in the running mate, sounds like you've made a solid start. And a treble in the first season would be a dream, here's hoping eh haha.

30 minutes ago, Mikee1984 said:

Well at least your still in the running mate, sounds like you've made a solid start. And a treble in the first season would be a dream, here's hoping eh haha.

I think I can reach the double but the Europa is a distant dream 

2 hours ago, Massey127 said:

That's one hell of a challenge!  I don't think I could even do that with the use of unlockables ?

The real challenge is.Scotland, but I look to have that covered

Ok lads, so I have read up a bit more and am going to make another rule. Read the part which says Europa or Champions League for Aberdeen.

The reasoning:

I read up a bit more to find out that the cup Aberdeen win was actually a renamed version of the Europa which held the post UCL hosts in the present. At that time, UCL was not established and due to that I was a wee bit confused. So, I will make it a bit harder for you'll. You don't need to win the CL, however, to count Part 1 done, you need to win the Europa. CL doesn't matter, Europa matters

Sorry for the confusion :) 

very nice challenge, made my step up my FMM game! One question tho, are you allowed to load the English league first in case your team gets regulated so you can follow it down or is it game over if you can't save them from regulation?

Having a go at this challenge on FMM 2017. In the 4 years in Scotland I managed to get 4 titles, 3 league cup and 3 scottish cup.

Then in November after the fourth season I took over at West Brom as they were 19th. £2.5m transfer budget and no keepers at all in the squad. I picked up a couple of freebie keepers and a few cheap signings including an 18 year old Argentinian kid called De Paul for £495k that had good stats. Managed to get pull the team out of relegation and ended up finishing 12th place. Throughout I tried to nuture De Paul giving him sub time.

Second season starts and I'm swapping between Rondon and De Paul as my lone striker until 2-3 months in when it becomes apparent De Paul is something special and he starts to start all the games. We start the season on fire and are around 10 points clear by Christmas. We start to wobble and by March time De Paul gets injured. At this point he's run away leading scorer in the league and I've turned down bids of £80m for him. No he's out for two months. He returns just in time for the last two games of the season and we're 1 point of the top of the table in second. He comes back and fires us to the title :)

That summer I raid South America again and probably make too many signings and we struggle at the start of the season, sitting around 8th by Christmas. In the transfer window I sign a hard working right winger and a new goalkeeper (the first new keeper since the freebie signings when I took over the club). We then started to pull things around. Rising up the table and finally finishing 3rd. 15 points off the top, but qualified for the Champions league. But...... we've also managed to survive in the Champions League and made it to the final.

The day of the final comes up and the squad selection screen is displayed, only for me to find ....... I've lost 8 of my first team squad players including my number 1 and 2 goalkeeper to the COPA America as the Champions League final for some reason is on June 2nd!!!

So my second string team go up against Bayern in the final and ...... blow them away. As shown in the screen shot. Lookman, who won player of the year, scoring a hat trick :)

So, after two and a half seasons in the Premier League I have won 1 title, 1 league cup and 1 champions league. On track to hammer Fergie at this rate.

Kind of feel like this is cheating though. My primary tactic is to at least once a season review all the teams in Argentina and Brazil. For any player with stats that look good I scout them. Then following the scout report I decide whether to take a risk on the play. If you look through my team I have some incredible South American players. I'm guessing by this point in the game that some of these are regens. One thing to bare in mind is that the scouts aren't always right. Whilst managing in Scotland the scouts never rated any player above 3 stars for me, but from stats I could tell some players were better and took a risk on them. A few of them turned in to top players.

Anyway, great challenge :)

FMM 2017_2016-12-05-18-14-49.png.png

FMM 2017_2016-12-05-18-35-21.png.png

This looks like a very nice challenge, although maybe a bit hard in the beginning.

My colleague and I play something similar every year on FM. We are both United supporters (or rather Ferguson supporters ;)) so he came up with a challenge he called "The Fergie path". The idea is to manage the same clubs Ferguson did and in the same order too. The main difference is we don't count trophies, we just follow the path and try to do as good a job as we can. Well, at least I don't count them ;). We also aim to have as many homegrown players as we can. We start at East Stirlingshire, proceed to St Mirren and Aberdeen to finish our carreer in Manchester. This year the task is a bit different since there is no East Stirlingshire in the game so you start at St Mirren which actually makes things easier.

I don't think I actually managed to complete the challenge :). I usually get bored at Aberdeen waiting for the United manager to get sacked or trying to build up enough reputation to get the job. At that time I usually go to Tottenham or Liverpool or something like that (only Chelsea and City are off limits :)) and wait for the United job. I don't like to take holidays so I rather go and manage somewhere else. The United job is only interesting in the beginning if there is some rebuilding to do, I also get bored here after a few seasons of winning everything and having all the money I could wish for.

This year I actually wanted to start playing the game in England so I opted for Bournemouth. I disabled the first transfer window and my first 5 fixtures were a nightmare, having to play all of United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and City. I managed to survive the first wave but got sacked after the reverse fixtures in January. After being unemployed for about a year (how frustrating is that btw, not even Vanarama clubs wanted to hire me!), I had to start a new carreer and decided it's time for a less stressful environment - and that's where The Fergie path comes in.

I spent 9 seasons at St Mirren having won 2 league titles and a bunch of cups. It doesn't sound like much of a return, but it took me 2 seasons to get promoted and a couple more to build a competitive squad (the starting one is pretty weak). My only real regret is the Europa League where I got knocked out in the quarter finals three seasons in a row on away goals.

I got the Aberdeen job in early September and that has to be the worst squad I have ever seen. They had only 18 players and most of them were attacking midfielders. Not one right back. Most, if not all players were either teenagers or well in their thirties. With the transfer window having passed, there wasn't much I could have done. I didn't have a particularly good winter transfer window either and that's because I don't like transfers in the winter so I did what I thought was enough to stay in the league and do most of my business in the summer. I actually got relegated that season, but luckily I kept my job, which allowed me to sell all my shit players (that means most if not all of them ;)) and buy some young talent. I did enough to win the league, also got some good "grey" players so the stage was set for the premiership. I won the league in my second season and was well on my way to winning another one when I finally got the job offer from United in January. I was a bit sad to leave Aberdeen because again the results in Europe were underwhelming (I won my Champions Cup group that year though), and I really liked the squad. It was half Scottish and a quarter homegrown with some real potential in it, most players just entering their prime. I didn't think twice though.

United was previously managed by Blanc who survived 12 years on the bench. Mourinho got sacked during the first or second season so I was really surprised to see Blanc survive for so long. I inherited a very good squad, the only problem was the midfield. The midfielders were either shit or injured :).  I don't think I bougt a player during the winter, I just promoted a bunch of greys, a couple of which have already shown they are first team material. I managed to win the FA cup and Champions cup and get them to 3rd place in the league (they were 8th when I took over). It was a courious decision from the board to sack Blanc, he was well under the wage budget and they were still in all competitions. I guess that 8th place was what killed him.

Doing well in my first full season, having suffered just two defeats in the league, topping my Champions Cup group and playing the quarterfinals of the EFL cup. City following me closely in the league. Let's hope I don't get bored anytime soon. :)