Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Position/ Role Selection Help

Sorry so many questions but the game manual is hardly helpful for the depth this game actually has it's not just d/l and play lots of layers.

Sure many have the dilemma I face picking the best position /role for a player.

Concerning Positions: is it best to select natural position even if he might not have any roles in green for that position? How do you know ability of a secondary position when coach report only concerns main position? Have you had any success using a players yellow or below positions the not great at ones if it fits your tactics etc?? Have you ever actually trained a player in a new position? 

Roles: should you try to use the players role listed on his profile page under his best position? Are there roles you choose one red n one green role trait? Do u use any roles with only black role traits? Do the suggested roles have any real bearing on position pages? 

Thx again 

The key thing is that a player can play at his full ability in any green position not just natural. Though playing in other positions may harm him. He can retrain to this but if you have a player who suits a role better due to his attributes then it is worth trying to retrain and playing him there to see how he does. This is also the case against Lower League Opposition as you should have the players to play one or two out of position.

So what about role abilities ? Use one on profile page,  Recommended one on position page , or try to only use position where they have green role traits?

Use any role traits with red and green ? Or never use a role with a red role trait? 

Pass up green role traits to use one with all black or switch role to match up green role traits to max players ability? 

Been awhile and whole new position/role/role traits adds whole new level as they were easier to setup last i played in 2013 psp version just find position and go, now it's a bunch more to consider .

Btw love this site it's a saviour as there's hardly any info on mobile version vs FM pc version ... 

6 minutes ago, DIRECTFX said:

So what about role abilities ? Use one on profile page,  Recommended one on position page , or try to only use position where they have green role traits?

Use any role traits with red and green ? Or never use a role with a red role trait? 

Pass up green role traits to use one with all black or switch role to match up green role traits to max players ability? 

Been awhile and whole new position/role/role traits adds whole new level as they were easier to setup last i played in 2013 psp version just find position and go, now it's a bunch more to consider .

Btw love this site it's a saviour as there's hardly any info on mobile version vs FM pc version ... 

Everybody would have different opinion here so I'll share how I do it.. let's say I have someone who is naturally a wingback but I don't like his tackling or position but his crossing is good for and his yellow in the wingers position I would play him as a winger and keep him as a backup wingback and I give roles based on what I think a player would be best at and depending on the tactic I'm playing too... If I have 3 good box to box midfielders there is no way I would play both or 3 of them as box to box some would have to adapt to something else I think would be good for them... don't know if I'm explaining well... I'm loosing my English since I've been speaking another language for 7 years now

I usually find players that suit my needs. I chuck players that cannot play in certain roles.

Wing backs generally can also play full back, but make sure their tackling isn't too low. I play defenders as central defender regardless. I play inside forwards as wingers. I interchange DLP/BBM/BWM. I interchange AP/CM. I find well rounded forwards to play AF and play Pcr when my poacher is out. Pcr is just a striker with high shooting and aerial 

Hi, interesting thread DIRECTFX.  In my opinion from your main tactic all players should at least by green for their positions (if not change your tactic to suit the players at your disposal or source players that suit the style and tactic you want your team to play).

Of course during a match you need to adapt to situations (red cards, injuries etc) so having a player fill a position that's yellow might be ok to see through a game.

Regarding retraining player positions, yes this can be done successfully and your coach will inform you if the retraining may be worthwhile or not.

Regarding player roles I rarely go by what the profile says as this is not always the most effective role.  The important thing here is that each role contributes to your overall tactic and style of play. Some players have more green role traits in roles other than that listed on their profile so check these.

in my post about crossing the Irish Sea I detail the changes and challenges I have had to overcome as I progress up the leagues.  If you want any more info about any of that then just let me know mate.  I am happy to share anything that may be of use.

Thx for all the feedback on the positions/roles .. One thing I haven't seen commented on is the role traits in the players position menu. For example a Foward who you select Poacher role for there might be 2 different role traits, in this example they would have "stops play" in red and "shoots first time" in green then maybe a third in black .. Now I have been going on basis that green is good /positives the players has in the role , black neutral no good or bad stats for role and if it's red a bad/negative that would hinder that role for the player.. 

So if I'm right does everyone only select roles also based on their green highlighted role traits ? All green, 1-2 green and rest black , or do you risk a all black to fit your tactics or even a red and green ??

heres a pic of what I'm talking about its like deeper into role for each player 

This foward is good example as he has green, red , black role traits .. Even his recommend role has red trait so no idea why that is think you would recommend green roles. So each pic will show below each role selection and the role traits and their colors . What Striker role do you think he should be without seeing attributes??? 

Pic #1 Advanced Foward- shows his recommend role with role traits in black and one red so don't think that's good.

#2- Poacher- this role has 2x role traits in green which should be good but then has that last one in red ... 

#3 Deep Lying Foward- This role has traits of 1 of each color red, green, and black .. 

#4 Target Man - role has one green and one black the best so far if I'm right about the colors. 

#5 Defensive Fwd- both roles black 

#6  Trequiesta - one red and one black.

#7 Complete Fwd- two black and one red role . 

I think looking pics he should be a target man first then defensive fwd since no negatives / red traits.. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Hi, yes you are absolutely right.  Any player with red role traits will hinder that role and subsequently the way your team play.

In the examples above that player is best suited to Target Man role although he wouldn't inspire much confidence in me as he seems pretty weak at all roles.  The example above would not suit any sort of attacking formation or tactic as his apparent strength appears to be breaking up play and shooting from distance.  I would avoid playing this player if you want to play any sort of attacking football but could be useful if you have set up a very defensive team were your aim is to limit the amount of goals you concede (against superior opposition etc).

A player playing a role that suits your overall tactic is still better if they are all black than playing a player in a role that is all greens but does not suit your overall tactic.

The best advice I can offer is DO NOT buy players based on stats but buy them for their ability to add to your tactic.  For example I never look for a player with as many green stats as possible.  I have my tactic and the style I want my team to play then I simply think ok now I need to find a strong Ball Winner so I base my recruitment on that and the roles traits I will be looking for would be DOES NOT DIVE INTO TACKLES, STOPS PLAY etc for the example above.

You need to think about your overall tactic instead of individual players.