Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Youth vs Experience

Hi guys, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around the difference between youth players and experienced players.

For example, if there were two players, one aged 18 years old and the other 28 years old, with both having identical attributes and same player form, which player would perform better on the field?

I remember reading someone saying that young players are more inconsistent than experienced, older players. But if the younger player has a high average form rating of 8.0 or 9.0, does this mean he is very consistent and there is no fear in choosing him before an experienced player? Is the form rating a reflection of their consistency?

Like you said young players are inconsistent so in some cases for example when I'm chasing the league title I'd prefer experience especially if you just brought the young player to your team.

In the first season of my A.C Milan save I decided to go with Donnarumma as my first choice goalkeeper but after 10 games I changed my mind and used Diego Lopez but I still played Donnarumma in easy games because he would save the hardest balls and let in the easy ones, his reflexes attribute is good but on the field it seemed poor (I play on the enhanced engine).

During the winter transfer window I brought in Time Warner (19 years old) and he never performed well in the first season but in the second season he was still inconsistent in the league but he won me the champions league because in 12 matches he scored 11 goals with 5 assist. 

And I gave Donnarumma another chance as first choice goalkeeper and he was decent until the last 2 months of the season and I brought back in Diego Lopez. So my advice is for you to alternate old and young and be patient with young players especially defenders and goalkeepers

Thanks Dar, that does help some bit but I still have many questions left unanswered. Is average player ratings an indication of consistency? So that a youth player with a high average rating would be considered consistent? Or is consistency a hidden attribute that grows with experience and one must factor in alongside player form?

Average rating can be skewed. For instance:

10 6 6 6 8 makes it 7.2 even though he's only played well in 2 out of 5 games. Though in the long term it is a good indicator yes.

You have to be aware with youth v experience that experienced players are good but have a ceiling much lower, therefore you are paying what is often more for a short term fix. As long as you have a good spine of on peak players you can find value from younger players but have to consider that if they are key then they shouldn't be 19 ideally.

4 hours ago, Thirsk said:

Thanks Dar, that does help some bit but I still have many questions left unanswered. Is average player ratings an indication of consistency? So that a youth player with a high average rating would be considered consistent? Or is consistency a hidden attribute that grows with experience and one must factor in alongside player form?

Consistency is a hidden attribute but when picking you 11 for a match I prefer using the selection view

Screenshot_20160722-153223.thumb.png.3d9

Because I can see the ratings they got in their last 5 matches so I can see who is on form and who isn't 

For example in my next game in champions league it would be stupid to drop Draxler while I can take of Cahill even if he's been consistent but he's not being killing it like Kurt Zouma

Thanks guys, that really helped clear things up. Consistency is a hidden attribute, however a good indicator is the player's average rating over a long period of time. 

Just to be sure though, does a player's consistency improve with experience? Or is it a hidden attribute that does not ever improve?

Thank you Dec and thank you for all the great articles you've written by the way. Hidden attributes make the game more unpredictable but so much more rewarding once you get it right! Can't wait to see what fmm 2017 gives us this year. Anyhow, thanks again for clearing up my consistency confusion guys.

I've had a recent experience with this. Playing with a 35-37 year old Cristiano Ronaldo in the Premier League, most of his stats are pretty garbage now but he's hit 49 goals and over 30 assists in 2 years, by no means amazing but if you has a younger player with these attributes you'd loan him out looking for improvement 

Screenshot_20160723-182803.thumb.png.46a

Edited by kts365