Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career The Irish Underdog's road to the top of the world

Next up is Portugal.. I have met Portugal only once in a friendly before and I lost 4-2 so i'll be hoping to get another positive result to secure passage to the Round of 16.

vs Portugal.PNG

Kyle Dawson.PNG

There was mixed emotions during the Portugal game because we went into HT with a 2-1 lead and then at the start of 2nd half N. Ireland lost a very crucial player, Kyle Dawson at a very important stage. He is important because he is a very reliable CM with stability and we were under extreme pressure from Portugal even when we were leading.

Heading into our final group game against Ukraine, it was a game we absolutely cannot lose! I have never come across Ukraine so I don't really what to expect but go out and have a go!

vs Ukraine.PNG

Group F.PNG

The 2nd round draw is out and France awaits! I'm quite satisfied with this draw because I have faced them on 3 previous occasions in competitive matches and I won 2 and lost 1 so I was optimistic but that doesn't mean that its going to be easy!  

2nd round.PNG

After the France game, we were obviously disappointed but we can held our heads high because France have amazing world class footballers.

So we now look forward to the 2038 World Cup qualifier draw and we got drawn into a group which also contains Croatia, Turkey, Serbia, Georgia and Latvia. It may looked straight forward on paper but it wasn't as we finished 4th. It was disappointing as we qualified in the previous 3 major tournaments.

2038 WCQ.PNG

Edited by JohnMU

After failing to qualify for the 2038 World Cup, it was a difficult period for all of us and it was a period of reflection for myself.

We now look forward to the 2040 Euro qualifying draw and we drew in Spain, Sweden, Slovakia, Macedonia and Kazakhstan. They were ups and downs in this group but here is the final standings.

2040 ECQ.PNG

Edited by JohnMU