Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics Double IF 3232 - Dominate with underdog team

Double IF 3232 - dominate with underdog team

If you enjoy the challenge of taking a small team to glory, and you like to tweak your tactics in order to get the best result out of every match, then this one might be for you.

Some results:

Sassuolo1.thumb.png.222b3261ef5d144b5717

SassuCup.thumb.png.0efaeb8b8eb85466ed3c7Watford1.thumb.png.f84ff0e9ae14c25d3075cWatcup.thumb.png.5c584eea9c930de68b2ac06Bourne1.thumb.png.9e9b75aad093742a71834fBournCup.thumb.png.e993c0f9b0cb678c6b044

All the games were played with default settings except that work permits were scrapped. No sugar daddy.

The formation:

roles.thumb.png.a28c8a7e1d7e6dbd811bf263

The basis for this was Taff’s excellent 3232 but I’ve made some changes which I believe have made this more effective for underdog teams. In my humble opinion two inside forwards work better than IF/winger combo, even with players whose attributes would seem to suit better for winger role (low shooting, high crossing). Double IF onslaught is simply too much to handle for the AI. These two are the star players of the team and will score most of your goals.

For the striker roles I have used any combination of target man, poacher and advanced forward. So depending on the players on the field I will also change this during the match. So either TM+P or TM+Adf or P+Adf. 

Team instructions:

This is where things get interesting. For the underdog team it is actually more productive to play attacking style so this should be your default setting:

attsho.thumb.png.5dc608ee20de62780681909

If you are more of a plug-and-play guy then go with this one and just start your toughest away games with balanced mentality. You will do pretty well and fare much better than the quality of your players would imply. 

For those who are ready to seek success in every match and like to have a strategic approach:

In addition to starting tough away games with balanced mentality there are lot of things you can do to elevate your team towards greater glory. If you are ready to tweak during the match, read on.

There is usually a perfect set of instructions for every situation and every match, but you just need to find it (and preferably pretty quickly!). If your default settings are not working (opponent is piling the pressure and dominating) then change to balanced mentality and mixed passing. If this is not working then try attacking mentality, direct passing and counter attacking style. This shall be your default path to success and it will win you most of the matches. 

Harsh weather conditions can be tricky. Balanced mentality and short passing is often the key to winning the matches on a wet pitch. So if your default tweaks are not working then try this.

Last 10 minutes can be brutal and frustrating as we have all seen opponent scoring several goals in the last minutes turning 3-1 into 3-3. In my books the best remedy against this is to change to this set of instructions:

attdir.thumb.png.96e5c79fe007a159e967bdc

I usually turn this on for the last 10 minutes if I’m leading with 1-2 goals. When opponent will start playing 424 with committed tackling, or something similar, then you know that they are going gung ho. That’s when you need to react or they will likely score. This little trick does wonders for your success in the long run and will often be the decisive factor between win and a bore draw.

The Achilles heel of this and many other tactics is the so called “easy” away game. You beat the bigger teams but end up losing those away games against the diminutive opponents. Oh boy that is frustrating. To combat this you need to check the tactics of the opponent in the beginning of the match. If it’s away game and the enemy uses balanced mentality and counter attacking style then you need to react. I’ve started with attacking mentality, direct passing and counter attacking style in these games. If it’s not working and the weather is dry I will simply take off the pressing. If the weather is wet I will switch to balanced and short. 

End of the season is another tough nut to crack. In those Bournemouth and Watford games I was leading the league in March but ended up playing a series of bad matches and losing the title. And especially those “easy” away games turn extra awful for some reason. In my Sassuolo game I changed my tactics around March-April so that when I was away and playing against the team that played balanced and counter attack I was starting with attacking and mixed passing. The results were fantastic and I only lost the last meaningless match of the season when I had already secured the title (you often lose the next game after that).

Summary:

If things don’t go your way on the pitch, react, do something! It’s very rare that the course of the match will change if you don’t do anything. One of the following combinations is usually the right choice that let’s you dominate the match:

- Attacking, short passing

- Balanced, mixed passing

- Attacking, direct passing + counter

- Balanced, short passing (for tough away games, often for bad weather)

The “easy” away game (where opponent plays balanced + counter) is the most difficult match to win and for this you should probably start with:

- Attacking, direct passing + counter

If the starting tactic doesn’t work then pick one of the others. Still there are some odd matches where you are doomed to lose and nothing seems to work. Or where you totally dominate and still end up losing 0-1. But don’t despair, that’s football:)

I don’t have enough data yet about how this all works in the second season or in the lower leagues. Seems to be working well on the Championship after short testing. Let me know if you try this!

Copy of Tiedosto_000.png

Edited by Ozymandias

WOAW!!!!

amazing distription of tactics and have to use them combined with awesome results ! I will surely try this when i Got the time ( currently working on a challenging 433 ) but this looks promissing and 100+ goals with teams like that - just WOAW - you had me at...."double IF" ????

Looks really good!? Me two likes IF's better then W's (or maybe I just don't know how to get the Wingers working?). Thank you for that insightfull read, and the time for explaining everything. I will put this on my list for testing later...

Cheers mate!?

Thanks! Those double IFs are the key to success, so steal, loan or borrow some lethal guys for those AML and AMR positions;) Rest of the team can be made of poorer quality as long as those guys deliver.

I very enjoy the part for mentality and pass style.

Mentality setting is much important than player quality.

And when you using a low position team is easier then using a strong team...

It is difficult to win opponent who is defensive mentality + counter attack + men behind ball.

I agree rseven - + both flanks. To many teams ( even big ones ) play urealistisc much balanced ball - but this tactic/guide shows one way around it :)

Thanks, Taff! Glad that you say this:) Didn't really get anything to work with FMH2015 and was about to abandon the series... But then FMH2016 came and I tried your 3232 and it worked well right from the start. Got me back to playing this - instead of doing something productive;)

22 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Thanks, Taff! Glad that you say this:) Didn't really get anything to work with FMH2015 and was about to abandon the series... But then FMH2016 came and I tried your 3232 and it worked well right from the start. Got me back to playing this - instead of doing something productive;)

Nobody needs to be productive there would be less war if everyone just sat down and played FMM all day :)

1 hour ago, Taff said:

Nobody needs to be productive there would be less war if everyone just sat down and played FMM all day :)

That's so true.. FMM for life! :)<3 

Man oh man that's a sweet write up.

Just what Dec has been saying has been missing from FM2016 recently - some really detailed analysis.

Thanks, Joewins! This is the way I like to play the game. There has to be some logic and reason in managing a team. If it's all just too random and weird (or too easy), then I lose my interest quickly. Hope this text will help some players!

Second season with Sassuolo finished with wonderful results:

image.thumb.png.e34ac4b883552ee55d0a032aimage.thumb.png.3fad77fff5f2cf291dd4b4a6image.thumb.png.e88a85111eae5084c068dff2image.thumb.png.7a057badaa564abc3cedf26aAlso won Italian Super Cup, but lost to Milan in Italian Cup final. So almost perfect season. My team was better than on first season, but more like a collection of potential stars, since average training facilities were limiting player development.

All the same settings and principles still worked. There were more nasty away games with opponent playing balanced and counter attack due to the club's elevated status. But I managed to grind points from almost all of them. Couple of really satisfying victories in matches were I was already 0-2 down but changed the settings and turned the tide.

Some testing in the lower leagues. Picked Maidstone as my team as it is one of the worst teams in the game. Doing nicely after two seasons:

image.thumb.png.748684102123c01f384ceea7image.thumb.png.990c3f23e3bab449a719d5daStarted the career by using balanced and mixed passing as default settings. But around December returned to using attacking and short, and basically the same setup as described in the first post. After that had a wonderful spring.

In the second season there were some randomness going on in the away games. I played basically all the away games with balanced and short and had amazing results but it stopped working around November. Then had to do some more tweaking to get results after that. But still managed to grind victories from almost all matches. Won the FA trophy as well but dropped out of FA Cup in early stages which was the lowest point of the season. Didn't lose a single match after December.

And, I didn't have an imported regen super team in the second season! Far from it. Thanks to this man and his wages:

image.thumb.png.b910b89c627418afe02b672dSo that's about half of my whole wage budget:) Ok, he's my best striker but still. I don't know where this wage jumped from as it is clearly some kind of bug. Wage limit was about 500£ so 1/10 of that. So I have been financially crippled all the time and have assembled my team mostly from Irish players:) But that just proves that the tactics are working like a charm, heh.

I expect to guide Maidstone to Champions League after four more seasons so let's see. Just hope that now someone would buy Mr. Owens...

image.thumb.png.9099dff5e6e37392d4551fef

That there that is truely a great result :)

i have tried and tried ....and tried to Do what you say about changeing the instructions in the match but i sadly fail with it more than i succeed with it. Its kind of a skill we all should learn as you described.

reminds me of my work - test-fail....test fail....test and Finally succeed :)!

AndersJ what team have you tried these with? I recommend doing some notes after each match, especially if something worked really well or really badly. You usually start to see a pattern how the matches go. For me the right combination seems to be one of those mentioned in the first post 90% of the time. Then there are those odd matches where nothing really seems to work.

I have tried it with West ham United and Cremonese - and you have showed that it should work in all levels so i just have to keep trying :)

i will find a poor Spanish side in la liga and test with them :) 

One thing that has to be done by intuition is the moment when you change the settings during the match. When you have that feeling that it's not going your way... I monitor shots mainly but also the highlights: which team is piling the pressure. I get this right pretty well now, but there were many many hours of practice:)

Should work in Spain. Tried it earlier with Betis for half a season:image.thumb.png.fed4f4ed9c82c21e5551d62f

11 minutes ago, AndersJ said:

The weather is wet - so you either go attack and direct OR balanced and short :)?

image.png

I went originallly and they equalized 2-2 and then i went.....

have you tried a whole season of the direct attack version?

image.png

I Think i Finally Got it - thanks for the help

note to self - leading 1-2 goals and playing in the 60th minute is the attack-direct-counter-mbb tactic and you often even score one more :)

image.png

image.png

Well done, glad to hear it's working! I usually change to attack direct committed counter mbb style in about 75min if I'm leading. Very rarely oppinents can even put pressure against this. Haven't tried playing that as default settings:)

I read your entire topic without breathing...It is an amazing journey you propose but I have a question your challenge works only on 3232 formation?

modiced, I'm sure that the basic ideas presented here will work with any good formation. So first do some experimenting and find out the best default tactics for your team and your formation. Then find out the alternative team instructions that will help you if the default tactics are not working. I suggest making some notes!

Let me know if you try these ideas with another formation!

Spoiler

Hello !

First message on this forum after having tried this tactic.

First of all, many thanks Ozymandis for this tactic (and thx Taff to create the original version)!

I used this tactic with Leeds and I had very good results for the first season! The beginning was a little bit complicated : I needed some times to be fully confortable with this tactic (it was also the first time I played with this 2016 version of FM Mobile).

Like you Ozymandis, I was in a bad series of games in March in loosing basically any of my games. In response to this, I switched on Attacking mentality + direct passing + counter (I used alternately these settings and the original ones) : and my good results went back!

In the end, this tactic made me win the league ! The downside of my season : I took too much goals during this season ... I am afraid of taking too much goal during the next season in Premiere League ...

I will let you know !

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Great to see that you guys got it working! That's the whole point of these posts:)

I continued my Maidstone career and had probably the best league campaign I've ever had in FMH with 179 goals and 127 points and only one defeat during the season:

image.thumb.png.57a75b8c06761c9c42f2ec5eBut I have to say that I had a very good team and starting line-up that was on a level of a good Championship team. When you got the players and the tactics, it can look like this.

However I had to do some tweaking to make it work. In the beginning I only got 5 points from the first 4 away games. After this I started every away game with attacking, direct and counter, and didn't lose any matches.

But but, cup success was not as good. Away cup games were tough all the time but still I managed to beat Everton, Sunderland, Blackburn and Crystal Palace away. Lost to Liverpool and Leeds in the end. And the lowest point, I lost the JPT trophy final to Wigan in a horrible match:

image.thumb.png.95891380d813166ff4c3acc7I was dominating but opponent made the goals. I went through all my normal settings and didn't manage to get anything working. About 15 minutes left I finally switched to attacking and mixed and took the pressing off, and quickly made 2 goals but time ran out. Bugger.

Another, more positive example of in-match tweaking:

image.thumb.png.ee2f0b48d7fc49cc8117cb16Usually home matches went pretty smoothly with attacking short but here I was quickly 0-2 down. Changed to balanced and short and made 6 goals. Simple when it works.

Next season in League 1 and let's see if I can get some cup success as well...

image.png

So if I'm reading this correctly @Ozymandias @AndersJ i should start with this for most games.

Screenshot_2016-09-05-16-36-24.png.a2cda

if not working go to this

Screenshot_2016-09-05-16-36-31.png.fbabc

or this ( also use this for easy games )

Screenshot_2016-09-05-16-36-43.png.21cec

tough away games and bad weather this.

Screenshot_2016-09-05-16-40-55.png.c99f0

When winning by a goal or two but under pressure use this.

Screenshot_2016-09-05-16-36-57.png.66ba9

does this sum it up??

BTW very detailed write up @Ozymandias mate. Well done?.