Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
billy2shots

Off Topic Historic 1k challenge

Time to take a trip back in time.

yYLQzYR.jpg

Whilst clearing out some draws I came across a dusty old CD. Unboxed and looking sorry for itself but with those special letters as clear as day, CM 03/04!

Tidying quickly forgotten, I raced to the laptop to see if it still worked. It was a bit fiddly getting it going on Windows 10 but after a few attempts it fired up. With my favorite ever version of the game staring back at me begging to be played, there was only one goal I had in mind. Actually it was more like 1000 goals.....

Welcome to my historic 1k challenge.

Time to pick a club to to get this challenge underway. Nothing has really changed in the 13 years since this games release. Portugal, Holland and Scotland were still the easier leagues whilst England was a tough challenge indeed. There is one league that stands out to all who have attempted the 1K. 

Italy

The Holy Grail for the 1k challenge, Italy has been the final frontier for many of us and has proved a tough nut to crack. Not as many domestic games as a lot of countries and tough, tight Italian defenders using all their whits to stop scorelines getting out of hand.
Country chosen it was now time to choose a team. Juve are the obvious choice and back then they were the dominant force as they are today. We will forget that little spell in the middle where they were relegated due to off field issues. The Milan clubs were close behind with Inter slightly more powerful due to a certain Christian Vieri firing the goals in from all angles.

For me there is only one team I think of when playing CM 03/04. A team I used for 70 or 80 seasons on one save back in 2003.

UxgH0rM.png

The mighty AS Roma may only be UEFA Cup quality at the moment but I know I can get them back in the Champions League and lead them to dominance in Europe.

The Player

So many options are available to us. There are teenagers all over the the place that may just get the job done. We have 2 teenagers in South America in Robinho (Santos) and Tevez (Boca) and what about this little lot

Qwu5R3n.png1qZEueN.pngBH3V4lU.pngPddsETl.png

So who did i choose?

When in Rome as they say.

LPEPhGC.pngOjqY9Wh.png

It has to be a Roman Gladiator. Cerci has been a bit of a journey man in real life but did get a big move to Atletico Madrid a few seasons back. That didn't pan out quite so well as he had wanted. Here we join him at the start of his football journey with a chance to become the player he could have been.

Are you not entertained

mR3TFs0.jpg

Thanks guys. There is always a lull waiting for the new game to arrive so I thought this may interest a few members.

Formation and signings

It would be easy to sign all the gun players that you learn about over the years but I will try and avoid that where possible.
Go to players in the past would have been-

Evandro Roncatto
Orri Freyr Oskarrson
Lucio
Rungstrame
Cherno Samba
Daniel Braaten
Sanil Tucay
Farneud
Sean Davis
Jermaine Jenas

I have bought some youth that I remember from the past whilst they are under 17 and available for compensation money who will hopefully pack out the squad and avoid spending too much money in the future.

wHArHUP.png

1st of January is always a key date as that's when you can sign players who's contracts are up and the end of the season. Picked up some quality to join me at the start of next season.

3SPanRq.png

This is the way I will line up for at least the next 3 seasons as it should get the best out of my favorite player Totti

HgF0NMH.png

Who doesn't love a good Christmas tree.

In the future I will be looking to build a team capable of playing 3 at the back and intend to setup like this when Cerci is good enough to play without support.

uUlH4k6.png

I'm halfway through the first season so am looking forward to posting the early results.

Interesting tactics mate. It's amazing that even back in 2003/04 there are more features for tactics then now on FMM

Edited by Real_Random

You've taken me back to my youth. I would literally come in from rollerbladi... i mean playing football after school, boot up the laptop and put 5-6 hour stints in everyday! Man I was cool.

3 hours ago, danovic78 said:

Was this the version with the infamous Diablo tactic? 

It was either Cm4 or Cm 03/04. To be safe I will not use a midfielder running from a centre mid spot to the striker position. You needed two strikers splitting wide to create the space for the midfielder as well. 

It's funny how the versions all roll into one. I always thought this was the version with To Madiera the fake player but it turns out not to be.

The thing I have really noticed in the first 3/4 of the season is how dominant the top teams are. 3 or 4 defeats and it could be title challenge over. Also goals goals goals! You can really understand why SI turned the shots  to goals ratio down as we could see some big numbers here. 

Edited by billy2shots

It was a crazy tactic, I remember getting Anthony Le Tallec to score over 100 goals in one season from the Centre Mid position!

I think Anatoli Todorov was a wonderkid that was overpowered in this version?

Season 1

Very pleased with how the first season went for our main man. Slightly less pleased with the team performance.

Won Serie A easily although I scored lots of last minute goals to turn draws into wins. I did have some monster games winning 8-0 a couple of times. Inter were a little behind but 2 of their defeats were against me so it could have been a lot tighter if I had not beaten them.

NCu3MJn.png

The cups on the other hand were another story. I kept squeezing past clubs in the Italian Cup and beat Juve on away goals in the 1/4 final. I was on the receiving end of away goals and lost to Parma in the semis

62Kwv8h.png

I have to remember this is a player challenge so i will accept a defeat in exchange for a hat-trick!!!!

Bad luck to lose on away goals. Whilst we are on the subject of bad luck.....

HLjW5ZL.png

Last minute goal to lose the UEFA Cup. Booooo

On to more positives and the main event.

jB5uuPK.png

53 goals for the teenager, I class that as a fantastic first season.

Season 1 - 53

Cracking first season.

I cannot state how much I loved this version. I have no idea on programming games but i'd love it if one day they released something with current players in old versions, no idea if that is possible but these old version must be a fraction of the size of the new ones?

7 hours ago, Brenty92 said:

20 hours ago, Real_Random said:

Fantastic Season mate. KIU

10 hours ago, danovic78 said:

Ah..the UEFA Cup...Good to see it back!

9 hours ago, Joewins said:

Cracking first season.

I cannot state how much I loved this version. I have no idea on programming games but i'd love it if one day they released something with current players in old versions, no idea if that is possible but these old version must be a fraction of the size of the new ones?

7 hours ago, Brenty92 said:

Definitely going to follow this closely! Such a classic game, what a first season, great player choice bud! ??

Thanks for the support guys. 

This era of CM was perfect. Coaches played an important role and you really needed them assigned to the correct areas if you wanted to get the best out of your players.

The tactics however were on a different planet to what we see now. There was so much involved in how you set up as a team and as individual players. I will use the Attacking Midfielder as an example. 

If you had a player like Messi or Ronaldinho in todays game and wanted to play him in the hole behind a striker you are limited to an Inside forward or Advanced playmaker. What happens if I want him to make forward runs on some occasions whilst at other times I want him to stay deep and play those killer through balls? I want my star player to use his high 'Decision making' stat to choose the best option for the situation. You just can't do that on today's game.

Back then the possibilities were endless as shown here with Totti and Cassano both played in the hole but with different rolls, Cassano like a modern IF and Totti like an Advanced Playmaker. However, if I wanted I could have one of them do everything. So Totti may play there on his own and have the freedom to dribble, make forward runs but also hold up the ball and play through balls when 'he' decides it's the right time.

tpT3sYv.pngzrgN3p1.pngFxjLoQ0.png

Edited by billy2shots

I know what you mean mate. I happen to have a copy of FM 2008 and something that annoys me is that over the last 8 years (or 13 years when I compare it to your CM 03/04) FMM still cannot seem to replicate one of the most basic options on all tactics systems and that is to give individual player instructions. I understand that it would take a lot of memory to create this but even if they just gave us the option to give one or two players individual intrusions I would be happy.

Bit of a nerdy question here, but how did you go about getting this running on Windows 10? Considering buying it as never played any of the old ones before, but not quite sure if your success in getting it to run is replicable.

9 hours ago, Fish18ish said:

Bit of a nerdy question here, but how did you go about getting this running on Windows 10? Considering buying it as never played any of the old ones before, but not quite sure if your success in getting it to run is replicable.

Confession time. I'm useless when it comes to IT but my Dad downloaded a patch for Windows 7 a couple of years ago. Now I've updated to 10 that patch seems to work although it does take a couple of attempts to load sometimes. It doesn't run full screen more like widescreen with black around the edges hence why the screenshot pictures are a little small. 

I'm sure it was a patch but will double check with him the next time I see him. 

Halfway through the next season. It's funny because I always renewed the season taking the same amount of time as in FMH/FMM. It doesn't, it takes twice as long and is a bit of a grind. 

Cerci is really struggling, he can't cut it up top on his own yet (still young) and when I play attacking and give him support the goals flow freely but spread around. 

On the several 1Ks I have completed on FMH/FMM my striker scored 70-80% of total team goals. At the moment young Alesio is grabbing around 30%. 

I'm finding this more of a challenge than I thought..

3 hours ago, billy2shots said:

Halfway through the next season. It's funny because I always renewed the season taking the same amount of time as in FMH/FMM. It doesn't, it takes twice as long and is a bit of a grind. 

Cerci is really struggling, he can't cut it up top on his own yet (still young) and when I play attacking and give him support the goals flow freely but spread around. 

On the several 1Ks I have completed on FMH/FMM my striker scored 70-80% of total team goals. At the moment young Alesio is grabbing around 30%. 

I'm finding this more of a challenge than I thought..

Break out the Diablo! ;)

9 minutes ago, danovic78 said:

Break out the Diablo! ;)

Haha. I remember using it in 2004 and it totally ruined the game for me. Midfielders scoring 100 goals was insane. 

40 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

Haha. I remember using it in 2004 and it totally ruined the game for me. Midfielders scoring 100 goals was insane. 

I know, it was beyond a super tactic. It was fun for a while...

Season 2

I made 1 signing this season Peter Cech hadn't moved to Chelsea back then and I saw him whilst checking out some international results. I bought him but quickly wished I hadn't bothered. Time will tell if he turns into the great keeper  he is in reality.

4FQP1Zw.png

After a tricky start to the season (losing the first game and drawing the next!) it all came good towards the back end. Steamrollered the league although I need to tinker with my tactics to improve the defence.

uKt8SlX.png

Winning the domestic Cup was also achieved and by a big margin over the two legged final. The route to the final was less easy and late goals to win the second legs were needed for aggregate wins. A win is a win!

NiILZFr.png

After losing in the final of the UEFA Cup last year, I was keen to claim my first European trophy. This time it was the Champions league I had my sights set on. I couldn't wait for the Final and a chance to lead my players up the steps to collect our prize.

fqZFV5v.png

Ok, that will have to wait then....

Fans of FMH/FMM have turned the air blue at times when they lose those games that they should have won. Well boys and girls it's nothing new and I have bashed many a keyboard over the years.

Ig2W0nz.png

Moving on to the reason for this save, Mr Cerci.

5nPRY2V.png

Disappointing to say the least. The injury turned out to be a bit of a blessing. He only missed 11 actual games and when he returned he went crazy scoring 2 goals a game bumping his tally up nicely.

OUjUeTB.png

I need to stretch this into the 80s in coming seasons or this is going to be a very long game...

Season 1 - 53

Season 2 - 68

Total - 121

Edited by billy2shots

Thanks guys. 

I know I've already shown a young Aguero and Rooney but I was thinking about posting some 'hot prospects ' from back then to see if SI got it right in their predictions.