Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Small teams to world champions

Bulba

Hi, got a question: Is it viable (mainly in finance terms) to take a small team (Conference level) all the way up to being world champions?

Small teams have hardly any funding. A few years back I managed Tonbridge Angels and brought them up to League 1 or 2, but the club's finances did not improve and I'm wondering if it will be difficult to compete with the big boys with no funding, or if there's a way you can make the club richer without using Sugar Daddy or other unlockables. Will it be too hard to be world champions without any money to buy good players?

3 hours ago, Bulba said:

Hi, got a question: Is it viable (mainly in finance terms) to take a small team (Conference level) all the way up to being world champions?

Small teams have hardly any funding. A few years back I managed Tonbridge Angels and brought them up to League 1 or 2, but the club's finances did not improve and I'm wondering if it will be difficult to compete with the big boys with no funding, or if there's a way you can make the club richer without using Sugar Daddy or other unlockables. Will it be too hard to be world champions without any money to buy good players?

Yes, it's very possible. 

I took FC United up to the premier league and I had a budget that was more than enough. My advice are these:

1. Have a transfer policy and try to maintain it no matter what even if Ronaldo is knocking on your door and you have the money to bring him in but he doesn't fit your policy. (Example: in my squad I want only 3 strikers and the highest amount I'd play for a player is 10K, like I said if you have the opportunity to bring in Ronaldo but you would have to pay 11K don't do it same thing with wages, if your policy is to give 4000 don't give more then that.

2. Try as much as you can to sign players for free. Always search for players that are running out of their contract and don't be afraid to add the big club release clause (some people won't agree with this though)

3. When selling players (especially young ones) always have the sell on fee percentage even if you a selling the player for nothing. It's nice when you get the message that tells you that the club have been paid some money for the clause on some player you may have forgotten about.

4. Sell players at the right time (Example. After a very good season from your 27/28 year old striker because he may not perform that we'll the next season) when you can get as much as you can for them and don't be afraid to release players because if you follow point 2 you don't loose anything because u brought the player in on a free anyway.

4. Look at your reserve for some decent players and try to develop the ones that come through the club's academy.

These are my lower league financial guides, obviously I won't bother about most of those things if I was to manage a big club.

Hope I've helped you.

Let me know what you think

I'm sure that it is possible, but I think it has more to do with how you manage your squad more than anything. I'm currently trying this with a small team from Spain, and after 3 and a half seasons I managed to bring them to the second division (promotion system is complicated even if you were dominant throughout the season). I didn't have much luck with my youth team bringing up good talents, but I did great business with bringing in unknown talents from lesser known leagues. Although most of them made me tick the big clause team in order to sign them, I made very good profits by selling them. And even though they only stayed for 6 or 12 months, they made my team go forward. . For example, $1 M profit for a Croatian right back, $2M for a Japanese striker and $7 M for Luis Suárez regen. This allowed me to buy a couple of players that were costly in comparison, but gave my team a better quality and without ticking that clause. 

I took Concord Rangers from conference north to 4th in prem with no unlockables...it is possible  ut be prepared to lose many of good players to the 'bigger club release clause'! 

The I scout app is always a gud one to get future stars to sell on for funds! 

I know 4th isn't world champions but my team had the potential to go on for glory! I just got bored and wanted to get Reading out of league 1 relagation zone lol

21 hours ago, Dar J said:

Yes, it's very possible. 

I took FC United up to the premier league and I had a budget that was more than enough. My advice are these:

1. Have a transfer policy and try to maintain it no matter what even if Ronaldo is knocking on your door and you have the money to bring him in but he doesn't fit your policy. (Example: in my squad I want only 3 strikers and the highest amount I'd play for a player is 10K, like I said if you have the opportunity to bring in Ronaldo but you would have to pay 11K don't do it same thing with wages, if your policy is to give 4000 don't give more then that.

2. Try as much as you can to sign players for free. Always search for players that are running out of their contract and don't be afraid to add the big club release clause (some people won't agree with this though)

3. When selling players (especially young ones) always have the sell on fee percentage even if you a selling the player for nothing. It's nice when you get the message that tells you that the club have been paid some money for the clause on some player you may have forgotten about.

4. Sell players at the right time (Example. After a very good season from your 27/28 year old striker because he may not perform that we'll the next season) when you can get as much as you can for them and don't be afraid to release players because if you follow point 2 you don't loose anything because u brought the player in on a free anyway.

4. Look at your reserve for some decent players and try to develop the ones that come through the club's academy.

These are my lower league financial guides, obviously I won't bother about most of those things if I was to manage a big club.

Hope I've helped you.

I like point number 2 very much

8 hours ago, Rhys Rockley said:

I took Concord Rangers from conference north to 4th in prem with no unlockables...

The I scout app is always a gud one to get future stars to sell on for funds! 

We all play our games differently so not criticising you but I'm surprised that you use the iscout whilst appearing proud that you didn't use the unlockables. Just seems a bit strange to me. 

To the OP. The money is a bit of an issue (if you reject the takeover at some point). Regardless of how well you do the money available never seems to rise as much as you think it should. 

On 08/10/2016 at 20:39, billy2shots said:

We all play our games differently so not criticising you but I'm surprised that you use the iscout whilst appearing proud that you didn't use the unlockables. Just seems a bit strange to me.

I can see where your coming from mate....to me i have never seen the I Scout as cheating but spose to some it might seem that way. To say im proud is abit OTT lol

On 10/7/2016 at 23:01, Dar J said:

Yes, it's very possible. 

Hope I've helped you.

Wow. I used the same team. Philosophy is the same. Buy cheap, sign free, loan players, pay low and sell high. Keep the squad compact, use academy or reserves players. Lastly, request for stadium expansion every 6 months. (No unlockables)

I resigned after 16 seasons.... ^_^

WhatsApp Image 2016-10-13 at 12.23.13.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2016-10-13 at 12.23.12.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2016-10-13 at 12.30.25.jpeg

3 hours ago, feng10516 said:

Wow. I used the same team. Philosophy is the same. Buy cheap, sign free, loan players, pay low and sell high. Keep the squad compact, use academy or reserves players. Lastly, request for stadium expansion every 6 months. (No unlockables)

I resigned after 16 seasons.... ^_^

WhatsApp Image 2016-10-13 at 12.23.13.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2016-10-13 at 12.23.12.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2016-10-13 at 12.30.25.jpeg

What tactics do you use? I can never string a run of good results in lower leagues.

6 hours ago, ross157 said:

What tactics do you use? I can never string a run of good results in lower leagues.

I can't remember which season but I transition from 4-1-2-2-1 to 4-3-2-1 to 4-2-3-1. It became more attacking oriented the higher I went. I mostly try to get speedy players for all attacking positions. Pressing and counter-attacking.