Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Instant results in FMM2017?

Fish18ish

Sports Interactive recently uploaded a feature reveal video on the YouTube channel, detaling various announcements for Football Manager 2017 and Football Manager Touch 2017. Towards the end of the video, as Miles was covering new features on FMT, he said the following:

"There's now the option to instant result midway through a match, ideal if you've seen enough of your team's performance or are short of time".

This is an unexpected feature for FMT, but it got me thinking, could we see a similar feature in FMM? SI have always ruled out the option of an instant result button, but it has come completely out of the blue for FMT. Such an option actually suits the concept of FMM being fast and fun to play, and I see it as a strong possibility now.

What do you guys think? Please leave a comment down below, and check out the features reveal video on Football Manager's YouTube channel if you haven't already.  :D

Edited by Fish18ish

"We can't fix the engine bug everyone moans about, however we could just skip the engine altogether and make the game completely useless?" 

FMT has had instant result for years, FMM won't get it though as with FMT it is about the detail of FM with more speed so this is a core feature in helping dealing with that. FMM is more casual and suited for stripped back management so doesn't need it.

Like the majority I would never be in favour of instant results. 

It wasn't always the case and some of us played the early full fat game before such things as match engines. 'Click, halftime, click, full time' 

Not much fun at all. Nor were player stats. I think there were 6 or 8 attributes with all inclusive ones like 'Attacking', that would cover everything from an offensive point of view lol. 

FMM should be going forward imho and not regress to those times. If people haven't got the time to play matches at full speed with only commentary then they probably should be playing something else. 

Without watching a match how would we know what formation the opposition is using and how to go about countering it. 

The AI doesn't keep resorting to the same tactic in each match. Oh wait....................

Instant result = take one day holiday?

My concern is the result got by playing the match and the result got by holiday are generated by different way.

If so, the instant result / holiday result can not reflect your tactics, it is no meaning. It can not help to test tactics.

Then the game just to be a player transfer game.

My personal opinion is that having such an option in FMM wouldn't be a problem. I see it as giving people the choice to play and enjoy the game in a way that they like. 

1 hour ago, Marc Duffy said:

My personal opinion is that having such an option in FMM wouldn't be a problem. I see it as giving people the choice to play and enjoy the game in a way that they like. 

I do see some appeal but I personally don't think it's needed. We've lasted a decade without it and the crys for it haven't been frequent, look at how dead this thread is. The requests for it have come in the last two or so years where the engine has been poor and a time sink, personally I'd rather the engine be that fun and quick that we wouldn't want to skip matches. 

It would also be impossible to balance imo, let's be honest and say it would basically be a renamed form of holidaying (even if mid match) and if holidaying in either form is supped up to a level where people are happy to chance simming the match what's the point in the engine anymore? 

I'm not saying it is needed or will ever happen, just that personally I don't have an issue with it. It fits a core principle of the game which is to ensure FMM is the fastest way to enjoy FM.

24 minutes ago, Marc Duffy said:

I'm not saying it is needed or will ever happen, just that personally I don't have an issue with it. It fits a core principle of the game which is to ensure FMM is the fastest way to enjoy FM.

But it's not playing the game, it's skipping it. The quickest way to enjoy FMM is to not actually play it?

Sorry for the double post but I thought I'd explain my reasoning more. 

In recent years my main complaint about FMM is how unimportant I feel as a player. As a manager in game what do I actually do? 

I select the same old boring and limited formations over and over again as only certain things work. I use the same old intensive training as it's not changed in years and I have little impact on it anyway. I can now select coaches of my choice if I jump through hoops and hope for the best, all that effort gives some personality but little reward. I can interact with my players but it's a repetitive and boring waste of time, same with the media. 

And now the fact I'm not even needed in matches anymore is looking highly possible? Don't get me wrong I see the appeal but it just pushes us further out of the experience. If I give Tom, Dick and Harry my tactic what makes my save mine? If I let the AI run wild with my settings what's the point of playing any matches if the simulation/result is similar to playing or a beefed up form of holidaying? What am I as a player bringing to the game? What makes me unique?

The only place where personality really shines is through transfers, squads and club selection but in recent years even that's becoming more limited. The gulf in class between the quality and the average has widened as the engine has got more complex which is good yet it limits creativity somewhat. Not a massive issue to be honest but it can be a tad frustrating, especially in years like last year where we didn't seem to have much of a difference in database. 

I want to feel important when I play the game, I want to feel like I do impact things and that my decisions matter and tbh I don't. The react to the engine rubbish is nonsense but now we're talking about skipping that? Skipping the most vital part of the game? It's no secret my love of game has died since the speed creep but the best option for making the game a quicker experience can't be just skipping matches surely? If the game drags and people want to skip it you have issues else where, instead of glossing over them like everything else just fix them. 

I've made the joke a few times that FMM makes me feel more like a director of football than a manager and all simming matches would do is enforce that belief and push the game closer to a transfer simulator. I don't personally play FIFA but my brother does and I see him sim pretty often but that's in 8 min matches so a lot more reasonable than the few drawn out mins FMM takes. If FMM is meant to be the quick way for people to experience FM then make the gameplay a quicker experience, don't just hide behind being able to skip matches. If it's added what happens anytime someone moans about the speed? "Oh just sim it." That's not my FMH. 

So true @Ashez what you have said has just hit the nail on the head in terms of why we shouldn't have instant results. I enjoy playing the matches because it allows me to evaluate my team in a way only a human can. 

3 hours ago, Real_Random said:

So true @Ashez what you have said has just hit the nail on the head in terms of why we shouldn't have instant results. I enjoy playing the matches because it allows me to evaluate my team in a way only a human can. 

Which brings me on to my next point, when would people skip matches? Matches only have three out comes of win, draw or defeat. 

Win - Who doesn't want to watch a win? A tight win you'll watch to see if you can hold on yet everyone loves a hammering and would watch just to see how many they can score. 

Draw - Who'd skip a draw? It's when the game is at it's most exciting as anything can happen. Won't most people want to see the twist and turns of the FT result? 

Loss - The most likely skip able event is during a hammering which no one wants to endure. However it's in these matches where you learn your weaknesses in players and formation, especially with this super responsive EME. Skipping these matches will just breed confusion and hinder people learning the game. 

39 minutes ago, UKFootballScore said:

Maybe a watch highlights option to watch the game if you wanted to get an insight into why you lost or won the game

But doesn't that beat the point? I assume the idea of simming is to speed up gameplay, pausing to watch what you skipped just beats the point. Surely just a quicker engine would be a better way to handle such an idea?

Part of me thinks what would the problem be if it was included. I would never use it just like the unlockables but if a few people  out there would then why not. 

Then I consider the fact that this would need time and resources from SI to implement the function. Time and resources that should be used to fix bugs and issues and not wasted on a pretty pointless feature.