Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aencinaz04

4 Fallen giants to restore in FMM17

1. A.C. Milan

MILAN.jpg

Milan: the once-great Serie A giant has been put to sleep by their rivals - The Old Lady (Juventus). The Rossoneri have become a mediocre mid-table team over past seasons but with a new season approaching, could this be the year Milan final topple the top of Italy again? 

With some talented players - especially record-breaking wonderkid goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma - challenging for Europe shouldn’t be too far out of your scope. 

The biggest challenge you’ll face comes with finding the right formation. Due to your financial constraints, you’ll need to maximise the ability of everyone of your players. You could start with a classic Italian formation - the 3-5-2 or switch it up to a 4-3-3. 

2. Schalke 04

SCHALKE.png

Schalke are a team that currently lives in the shadows of Bayern Munich and their fierce rivals Borussia Dortmund. Having been a Champions League side for the past couple of seasons, they finished outside of the top four last term. 

What makes Schalke such an exciting challenge is their pool of young, upcoming talent. Featuring Breel Embolo, Maximilian Meyer and Leon Goretzka, you could really look to build a core capable of holding this side together for years. You’ll want to build your team around your midfield, as this is where your biggest strengths lay. 

In order to compete with Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich, and Dortmund, you’ll have to invest money into your defence whilst you’ll want to look to add additions to your frontline. If you find your budget too small to work with, I would look to sell Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. 

Hit the ground running, or you’ll find yourself being booted out of the door before you get the chance to lay down your long-term foundations. 

3. Liverpool

LIVERPOOL.jpg

Liverpool are currently striving under head coach Jurgen Klopp. Out of this list, the Reds offer the best chance of winning titles within the first two seasons.

The reason for this is that Liverpool have a great attacking force: with Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane flanking Sturridge, their sheer pace is frightening and could be lethal if deployed in a counter-attacking system.

They have a balanced midfield and in comparison with the other clubs in England, it’s not the best but it’s one of the finest. The only department you should look to strengthen is the defence. Joel Matip is a defender that, overtime, will become world class but his defensive partners lack the same potential. Focus your transfer dealings on a talented centre-back and a left-back that can give competition to Alberto Moreno. 
In terms of formations, you’ll be looking at a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1. Hey, even a 4-4-2 might suit your needs (though, you might need to buy another striker for this to garner results). 

4. Parma Calcio 1913

PARMA.jpg

No one will ever know what the biggest fall from grace in football is but Parma have an excellent case for it to be them.

Parma were once a leading team in Italy’s top flight. When the club won the UEFA Cup in 1999, they had Gianluigi Buffon in goal, Fabio Cannavaro in defence, Juan Sebastian Veron dictating play in midfield and Hernan Crespo spearing the front line.

They collapsed due to financial problems but are now climbing the ladder to get back into Serie A. The club sits in the third division of Italian football but with the right tactical ideas, a few smart signings and a dedicated plan, you can take I Crociati back to competing for some of Europe’s biggest honors.

This save might require more patience than others: in theory, the squad is far too good for the third division (even the second, mind) but that doesn’t mean you can send 11 players onto the pitch and expect them to have the game done in half an hour. Look towards the loan market for squad depth whilst keeping a close eye on contract expiring to help build for your following season. 

The main challenge will come in Serie A. After securing promotion, you’ll need to get the right balance to keep the team there before moving up the table season-on-season. 

This is arguably the biggest challenge on the list - but maybe the most appetizing. 

Some good examples on there. I love the Parma one in particular after being an avid fan of DoctorBenjy's save with them on FM2015. 

Some coloured text or pictures to break up the text might be a nice consideration for next time. I'm looking forward to your future content :D

34 minutes ago, Fish18ish said:

Some good examples on there. I love the Parma one in particular after being an avid fan of DoctorBenjy's save with them on FM2015. 

Some coloured text or pictures to break up the text might be a nice consideration for next time. I'm looking forward to your future content :D

Yeah I'll add some pictures next time and thank you for the feedback. 

1 hour ago, janste1 said:

Some great examples... I'm looking forward to seeing what Liverpool can achieve 

I'm excited as well to see what Liverpool can do this season. I really think that they can achieve a champions league spot due to their high octane offense but let's see. 

58 minutes ago, Aencinaz04 said:

Yeah I'll add some pictures next time and thank you for the feedback. 

Why not just edit it for the others to read?

Nice article by the way. I cannot wait to manage Parma

Really good article there mate very informative but also very useful to any potential newcomers on the game, I will forward to more of your work ??

Am definately all over a Parma save. So excited for the game hope it doesnt disappoint it most likely will but Ill end up still playing it like I do every year lol. 

Club selector selected bayern for me first save but that will come in time

Countdown begins all!

6 hours ago, Fish18ish said:

I know these get mentioned alot but Leeds could be on there too.

Suppose you could even throw in Everton @danovic78 :D

We have been "fallen" for a long time now....;)