Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chelsea8

5 international teams you'll want to manage in FMM17

Managing international teams isn't always everyone's cup of tea - but I'm going to challenge that today by showing you a few team's you'll want to have a crack with on FMM17.

England

Image result for wembley stadium

You didn’t think I would include England? Tough, for as long as they (continue to) fail at international tournaments, they’ll forever be an exciting team to take over.

Exciting; as soon as you manage to wrangle the player’s out of their desire to continuously fail and upset 53 million people. However, that shouldn’t take too long.

On Football Manager, England’s team is good - in fact, it might be argued that it’s actually one of the better ones. There is no denying the quality within the squad, and due to the wonderful facilities in England, not only do you have a large pool of players to choose from, but you’re bound to have an endless amount of world class regens popping through the country's top teams.

The aim is simple: win the World Cup. In fact, getting past the quarter-finals of a major competition might be celebrated as if you have won the World Cup, but you shouldn’t settle for that. England have the class to win tournaments - go and make it happen.

Argentina

Image result for messi argentina

This, is a little more short term - however there is nothing stopping you from making it a long-term project.

There’s no doubting it - Argentina have one of the most talented international teams in the world. I mean, just look at their attacking options: Sergio Aguero, Angel Di Maria, Gonzalo Higuain, Angel Correa, Ezequiel Lavezzi. And I haven’t even mentioned Lionel Messi yet (you think I forgot about him? Pretty hard to do that…).

Having lost the World Cup final in 2014, Argentina decided that the they enjoyed the feeling of being runners-up so much, that they decided they were going to experience it twice more in the following two years: they came runners-up in last year’s Copa America to Chile, and this year they came runners-up in the Copa America to Chile. I mean, if that isn’t consistency, I don’t know what is.

The reason for suggesting this as a short-term save is, this is arguably one of the most blessed Argentina sides in countries history. Love him or hate him, who would like to see Messi finish his international career without a World Cup medal? This side allows you to go absolute bonkers - go for a 4-2-4 if you want to go gung-ho. But don’t let a talented generation go out without it’s place on the top of the world.

Warning though: don’t lose another final otherwise Messi might retire again.

Russia

Image result for russian national team

There is a World Cup being hosted there in two years, and quite frankly, if you add up the ages of the players in the squad, the sum might be larger than the amount of years this world has been in existence.

The Russian squad is ageing. Igor Akinfeev isn’t the keeper he once was; the Berezutski twins are still playing despite being eligible for a pension; and it doesn’t get any happier the further up the field you go.

There will be a lot of expectation on you to do well in 2018, but in the meantime, you have two years to reshape the team and try and get past the group stage - and I mean, try. Russia have never progressed out of a World Cup group.

Beyond 2018, the nation is your oyster (if Vladimir Putin hasn’t decided to fire you by this point). Russia’s population means you’re likely to be given plenty of fresh, exciting regens - and, come on, we all know the Russian regens on Football Manager are good.

If none of that inspires you, this will; do you remember Euro 2008 when Russia got to the semi-finals? Remember how brilliant that side was? Andrey Arshavin was wonderful to watch; Roman Pavlyuchenko was still considered a good player. I challenge thy to replicate that side again. Only this time, go onto win the tournament.

Wales

Image result for wales euro 2016

Yeah, I know - another home nation side, but after their performance at Euro 2016, who wouldn’t want to give the Welsh a go?

I’ll admit (and I don’t intent to start an argument here), but Gareth Bale carried Wales through last summer’s tournament. But isn’t that the attraction? Wales never reached a major tournament with Ryan Giggs - Bale is a freak of nature, but he’s also bloody brilliant.

Chris Coleman received plaudits for the way he set his side up and he got his tactics spot on - in fact, I don’t see why you should change the system. Honestly: how many of you reading this have played five at the back? (you don’t have to answer that, because I know the response: not a lot of you).

Wales are on a high from last summer’s success - so build on it and take the Dragons to Russia in 2018. And hey, you might upset the odds again.

Holland

Image result for holland euro 88

There are fallen giants; there are rebuilding jobs; and then there is the Dutch.

Quite honestly, what has happened to them? Once the hipsters of Europe with Ruud Gullit and Marco Van Basten leading them to Euro 88 glory. And now, they can’t even qualify for the European Championship. You know what makes it worse? They increased the amount of teams - and still failed. Albeit it on the wrong end of the success scale, but that’s quite an achievement.

This is quite a big job on your hands, but it won’t be impossible to build something to make an impact at the 2018 World Cup. The project is a long term one. The squad which came third in the World Cup 2014 has gone out of the exit door.

The current crop isn’t the worse but it certainly isn’t the best - it doesn’t leave you licking your lips with excitement. Kevin Strootman is still around (when he isn’t injured) and you have Memphis Depay, who still has a lot of potential but he’s slipped off a little in real life. You now need to rebuild this nation, and take them back to where they belong.

And if you’re good enough, you might bring the Dutch their first ever World Cup. Now how’s that for a save?

Think I missed anyone out? Comment the international teams you're looking forward to managing in next year's game!

Probably holland would be the biggest and most satisfying challenge. They've been close so many times in history but they never won the World Cup. Argentina would mean a mini Holland challenge, as we haven't lifted a trophy since 1993.

I don't know if this is the place for this kinds of questions, but I'm wondering how the international aspect of the game works. In my current save I've been appointed manager of Croatia after applying for the job. After the World Cup I resigned and stopped paying attention to international jobs. Now, going into 2025, there's never a vacant, and I've been checking steadily for the past three seasons. Serbia, and Ireland are always marked as insecure after they fail to classify for the WC or Eurocup, but those jobs never acutally become available.

25 minutes ago, Guillermo Alberto said:

Probably holland would be the biggest and most satisfying challenge. They've been close so many times in history but they never won the World Cup. Argentina would mean a mini Holland challenge, as we haven't lifted a trophy since 1993.

I don't know if this is the place for this kinds of questions, but I'm wondering how the international aspect of the game works. In my current save I've been appointed manager of Croatia after applying for the job. After the World Cup I resigned and stopped paying attention to international jobs. Now, going into 2025, there's never a vacant, and I've been checking steadily for the past three seasons. Serbia, and Ireland are always marked as insecure after they fail to classify for the WC or Eurocup, but those jobs never acutally become available.

I would just keep going with it mate - it will be London buses. 

A really great read.

I would have to say I am looking forward to seeing what new national teams there are (if any) an now we have editors hope they will be able to make more playable. 

Saying that I would like to try to get the best out of Belgium as they have such a good squad.

On 11/9/2016 at 15:39, JustM1kePlays said:

A really great read.

I would have to say I am looking forward to seeing what new national teams there are (if any) an now we have editors hope they will be able to make more playable. 

Saying that I would like to try to get the best out of Belgium as they have such a good squad.

Belgium is a really good team with increasing young talents coming up through the ranks I think doing Belgium will be a good save and I look forward for this save to be on your channel #loyalsubscriber