Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Challenges The Deportivo de La Coruña ’99 Challenge

danovic78

29yf6kw.jpg

It’s easy to be cynical about Spanish football these days. Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate the division year in and year out, such is their talent pool and financial might. Atletico Madrid‘s triumph in 2013/14 seems like one of those rare anomalies in everyday life which is unlikely to occur for another millennium.

If we cast our minds back just 16 years though, the landscape of Spanish football was flipped on its head, thrown in a blender, turned into an omelette, eaten and then forgotten about like tears lost in the rain.

In the 1999/00 season, Deportivo La Coruna did the unthinkable and managed to win La Liga, in what was one of the weirdest seasons in the country’s prestigious history. Key to the league win was the 22 goals scored by new signing Roy Makaay.

Deportivo won the league, five points ahead of Barcelona and Valencia, who finished in second and third place respectively.

Remarkably Real Madrid didn’t even finish in the top four that season, settling for fifth place. Real Zaragoza instead finished in fourth. If that wasn’t weird enough, Racing Santander’s Salva won the Golden Boot after bagging 27 goals in the campaign, three more than Atletico’s Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

They were the second smallest team behind Real Sociedad to ever win the league, can you help Deportivo do the unthinkable again?

Rules

1. Load Spain and any other countries.

2. Pick up the managerial reins at Deportivo La Coruna.

3. Sign a dutch striker.

4. Win the La Liga with your striker scoring at least 22 goals.

5. Beat Bebeto's club record of 86 club goals.

6. No unlockables, edited databases, or use of any of the editors

7. Evidence is required, I'd suggest posting a career thread for us to follow.

8. No cheating - Restarting to avoid injuries counts as cheating!!

Edited by danovic78

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's Danovic smashing it out the park again! What a great little challenge! 

I love how your challenges include player stuff and history, just top class. 

39 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's Danovic smashing it out the park again! What a great little challenge! 

I love how your challenges include player stuff and history, just top class. 

Thanks Ash, was hoping to get some players interested in these little challenges. Have a couple more to add in the next few days.

Showing my age but I loved watching Depo and Valencia win La Liga back in the day. I posted something similar for FMH15 Emulating Valencia. 

They weren't quite a match for what Leicester did last year but both Spanish teams showed great teamwork to do what they did.