Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robbrown172

Can Celtic Win The Premier League In 5 Years?

Introduction

For years now, there's been lots of talk about Celtic and Rangers joining the English football pyramid, much to the disagreements from supporters of English sides.

Fans debate questions such as "Would they be a top 4 side?", "would they be a mid-table side?", and ultimately, "Will they compete for the title?".

Well, thanks to Lucasjeong, these questions will finally be answered.. in the form of Football Manager Mobile 2017 (For Celtic, anyway).

2016-2017

We start off at the 2016-2017 season, as Celtic look to prove they can mix it with the English sides.

Screenshot_20161208-194046.png

Screenshot_20161208-194117.png

Oh. I dont think Celtic are quite 'mixing it' with the English sides.

Rock bottom of the table 10 games in, and already sacking Brendan Rodgers. Not the best of starts, ey.

Screenshot_20161208-194215.png

Rodgers' replacement? This man. Nope, I've never heard of him either.

Whoever he is, lets see if he can save Celtic.

January Transfer Window

Here are the transfers for Celtic in the January transfer window :

Screenshot_20161208-194629.png

Pretty average signings. Probably not the signings you'd make when you're battling relegation. They maybe should have signed Premier League proven players, instead of signing Championship players. Its as if they're already preparing for life in the second tier...

EFL Cup Final

A 3rd round exit in the FA cup and a last 16 exit in the UEFA Champions League only dampened the mood at Celtic Park, but they did reach the EFL cup final.

Screenshot_20161208-194748.png

Yes, they were beaten 3-0 by arguably the best team in the country, but you have to give them credit for reaching the final while battling relegation. 

Falling Through The Trapdoor

The inevitable happened. The failure of signing Premier League standard players in the January transfer window came back to haunt Celtic. 

Screenshot_20161208-195306.png

Championship football now for Celtic. I am certain, however, that they will bounce back. For starters, they'll have no European matches to distract them.

What are your thoughts? Will they bounce back at the first time of asking?

Thank you for reading. This topic will be updated when I've done the 2017-2018 season.

2017-2018

After a disastrous season which saw Celtic relegated, it's Championship football now for the Scottish side.

Marcelino was sacked shortly after the final game of the season, and Phil Parkinson was brought in to help guide Celtic back to the Premier League.

Easier said than done...

Summer Transfer Window

Screenshot_20161208-224622.png

3 youth players were promoted to the first-team, and Kieran Tierney was bought from Swansea City for a fee of £7.5m.

Again, not the best of signings, and should have signed more, rather than just sign the 1 player, and promote 3 players from the reserves.

End Of The Season Table

Screenshot_20161208-230624.png

'Mediocre' would probably be the word to describe Celtic's first season in the Championship. 

They never really looked like promotion contenders, as they spent most of the season mid-table.

So, it's another season in the Championship for Celtic. 

Will 2018-2019 be the season they return to the big time? Find out later on today.

I hope you've enjoyed reading this. Let me know your thoughts in the comments.

12 minutes ago, Mollers01 said:

Enjoying this one mate. Can't believe you've never heard of Marcelino though!

I must be the only person to have never heard of him.

The only Marcelino I know was the ex-Newcastle player ?

27 minutes ago, Mollers01 said:

:O minus 61?!

They still had roughly the same squad as they did in 16-17. 106 goals conceded ?

After their relegation to League one, most of their squad was sold, and *spoiler alert* they only finished about 6 points above the relegation zone.

2 hours ago, Robbrown172 said:

I did enjoy one thing about the 2017-2018 simulation..

Screenshot_20161208-230627.png

Ahhh. Sunderland relegated to League one. @samhardy ?

It happens on every save I have too!

In all seriousness the results of this simulation are quite realistic because Celtic couldn't survive in the Prem in a million years.

2018-2019

Celtic are now into their 2nd season in the Championship. In what was supposed to be about them winning the Premier League in 5 years, this simulation has now turned into "Can they get promoted?". 

Summer Transfer Window

Screenshot_20161209-191000.png

A busy summer sees 4 new additions to the squad.

I doubt Anichebe and Xisco (Remember him?) will be the firepower, however, to take them back to the Premier League.

Cups

Celtic were knocked out of the EFL cup in the 3rd round as they were defeated by Swansea City at the Liberty Stadium.

In the FA cup, they were one game away from the quarter-finals, only to be narrowly knocked out by Arsenal.

Screenshot_20161209-193122.png

January Transfer Window

Celtic didn't make any new signings in the January transfer window. 

End of The Season Table

Celtic spent the majority of the season in the play-offs, as things started to look up.

A dip in form in the new year however, resulted in Celtic freefalling down the table, finishing in 12th place with 66 points; 9 more than last campaign.

Screenshot_20161209-193636.png

A slightly more positive season for Celtic, finishing just 10 points off a play-off spot. Lets see if they can build on this in 2019-2020.

Thank you for reading. 2019-2020 will be coming tomorrow!

17 minutes ago, veerus said:

How are you simulating this? By taking 6 month holidays or something?

No, simulating a month at a time (The longest you can go on holiday for at a time)

It doesn't take long to simulate a month. Probably about 30-40 seconds, so it only takes about 5-10 minutes to do a season.

2019-2020

Another season, which means Championship football for Celtic..again.

Summer Transfer Window

Screenshot_20161210-160118.png

Nir Bitton was sold to Atalanta for £2.4m, while Celtic purchased Fabrice N'Sakala from Anderlecht, although the transfer wouldn't go through until January, the expiry of his contract.

6 players were also released, including goalkeeper Craig Gordon and striker Xisco, who was only there for 1 season.

January Transfer Window

Screenshot_20161210-161228.png

3 more signings for Celtic arrived in January as they continued to push for promotion.

None of them are household names, but it's what they needed.

Cups

Screenshot_20161210-162324.png

Screenshot_20161210-162341.png

Again, Celtic were defeated a round before the quarter-finals as they were beaten by Premier League's defending champions Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium.

In the EFL cup, they crashed out in the 3rd round at home to Derby County. A game they perhaps should have won.

End of The Season Table

Screenshot_20161210-162200.png

At first glance, a 4th place finish seems like a big improvement from the previous 2 seasons in the Championship, but it could also be seen as a huge disappointment, as Celtic occupied the top 2 for the majority of the season.

Screenshot_20161210-162140.png

In the first leg of the play-offs, Aston Villa triumphed 3-0 at Villa Park, making it an uphill for Celtic to reach the final.

They gave it a good go in the return leg, winning 3-1, but Villa's goal ensured they went through 4-3 on aggregate.

A slight improvement saw them come closer to promotion than ever. Will they go one step further in 2021? 

Find out tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

2020-2021

We now enter the 5th season of this simulation, where Celtic are still trying to get out of the Championship, after suffering relegation at the end of the 2016-2017 season.

Summer Transfer Window

Screenshot_20161210-162923.png

No departures at Celtic this time round, as they sign David Amoo and Igor Vetokele, while promoting 3 youth players to the first team.

Casualty In The Dugout

Screenshot_20161210-163602.png

Screenshot_20161210-163625.png

After a rocky start to what should have been a promising season, Phil Parkinson was sacked as Celtic manager, with the club 7 points adrift from the play-offs.

Ex-Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe and Tim Sherwood were both in the frame for the job, but it was a certain Irishman who was tasked to guide Celtic back to the big time.

Big Mick Arrives

Screenshot_20161210-163822.png

Mick McCarthy was appointed the new Celtic manager. If anyone knows the Championship, it's this man.

Screenshot_20161210-163825.png

January Transfer Window

Screenshot_20161210-163852.png

More firepower was added to the squad, with the purchase of Burton Albion's Martin Sordell, costing the club £875k. 

The McCarthy Effect

Screenshot_20161210-164544.png

After a remarkable run of 13 wins in their last 17 matches, Celtic were promoted back to the Premier League, 4 years after dropping out of the division.

It's fair to say that the appointment of Mick McCarthy has certainly paid off. 

Conclusion of The Simulation

Before I started this simulation, I'd always thought that if Celtic were to join the English leagues, they'd be a top half Premier League team.

Now, I know Football Manager Mobile is a game, and may not reflect real-life events, but this simulation completely proved me wrong.

Celtic spent 4 of the 5 seasons in the Championship after finishing 19th in the Premier League at the end of the 16-17 season.

Going by the simulation, Celtic would probably by a Burnley/Hull-type of team if they ever joined the English leagues.

A big thank you to those who followed this simulation. I hope you enjoyed it!

The opposition in Scotland is weak so I'd place Celtic quality-wise in the lower half of the EPL. Interesting to see their immense struggling for survival/promotion.

I enjoyed the simulation.

1 hour ago, Pogba said:

How did you do this 

I downloaded a file that a member put up on the site last week that places Celtic in the Premier League.

Then, I just started a new career, starting unemployed and holidayed a month at a time.

If you don't know how to go on holiday, you just click on the 'Profile' tab on the sidebar (Under the 'home' button on the left) and click on 'holiday'.

Then, if you look at the bottom, you can select whether to go on holiday in time for the next match, 1 day or a month.

I hope that helped.

24 minutes ago, Robbrown172 said:

I downloaded a file that a member put up on the site last week that places Celtic in the Premier League.

Then, I just started a new career, starting unemployed and holidayed a month at a time.

If you don't know how to go on holiday, you just click on the 'Profile' tab on the sidebar (Under the 'home' button on the left) and click on 'holiday'.

Then, if you look at the bottom, you can select whether to go on holiday in time for the next match, 1 day or a month.

I hope that helped.

thank you it did

17 minutes ago, veerus said:

I'd be interested in following a couple more years of this to see if they go down again or get into the top 7. 

I'd be more than happy to do that.

I'll simulate a few more seasons and post them up within the next few days ?

2021-2022

As requested, here is Celtic's first season back in the Premier League since 2016-2017.

Transfers

Screenshot_20161216-154826.png

Scott Sinclair was released by Celtic, ending his 5 year association with the club.

2 more youth players were promoted to the first team, while Jamie O'Neill joined on loan from Middlesbrough in January.

Cups

Screenshot_20161216-154959.png

Celtic failed to make it past the third round of the EFL cup, crashing out at home to Stoke City.

Screenshot_20161216-155010.png

In the FA cup, they fell short of the quarter-finals for the 3rd time of the simulation, losing to Leicester City.

End of The Season Table

Screenshot_20161216-155514.png

It was a pretty solid season for Mick McCarthy's side, who finished 12th in the table.

They never seemed like going back down, hovering between 14th and 16th for the majority of the season.

So, for the first time in this simulation, Celtic will be playing Premier League football for the 2nd season in a row.

Thank you for reading!