Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Do You Make Pre-game Changes

Ed

Hi,

Just a query on pre-game management, I have a set tactic but feel that I need to make pre-game changes depending on whether passing centrally or down the wings will be better, or being more defensive if I am not the favourite for the game and vice versa...  just wondered what other people do, should I just stick with the same tactic and make changes during the game or try and understand the scout report / odds and change?

Not sure if I am over thinking things and that constantly tweaking my tactic is affecting my teams consistancy!

Cheers

You're definitely not overthinking things but I'd suggest having 2 maybe 3 different formations per season tops. Constant swapping formations would break any sort of consistency but minor tweaks or using 2-3 different starters amidst 8-9 regular starters would be OK. I do both.

If I'm managing a strong team I'll let the opposition adapt to me. I feel the formation and players are strong enough to play the same style in any game (home or away) against any opponent. I'll tweak and apply subs if needed in-game. I get results this way.

If I'm playing a weaker side compared to the rest of the teams in the league I do opt for a more attacking formation in home games and more defensive in away games. And a (balanced) alternative if either one doesn't work. It could be something as basic as moving a CM up or down a line for needed support on either side of the pitch. I have tried using a single formation with a weak side but never found a consistent one. From my experience having 2 main formations when managing a team that lacks the quality to compete for the top spots in the league helps. Whether it's the "unpredictability factor" that sets in or the "counter-tactic" vs the home team that plays attacking football / visitors that go defensive on you, I don't know tbh. But this works for me. Other managers may have a different style of management.

I typically stick with a tactic that works making small adjustments if needed based on scouting reports. However in this year's version, the "next match" info is very often wrong compared to how the AI lines up on match day. I don't know if it's a bug or not. 

Most of my adjustments are done in game. As mentioned, I go in with my preferred formation then I let the game run for 15-20 minutes then I decide if tweaks are needed based on how I'm keeping possession and generating shots. However since the formation I'm using is a proven one, I avoid making big changes unless I'm down a goal.

My most common adjustment is when I'm getting dominated in possession, I'll switch mentality from balanced to defensive to try and slow the other team down and get some control. 

Thanks for this, I agree with veerus in that the next match info seems a little pointless, 90% of the time the formation they actually line up with is different to the scout report, so for example I play a flat 3 man midfield, but when I am playing against a team with a player in the hole (the number 10 position) I drag my BWM down to cover him and help the CDs out, but then when we line up for the game they arent evening playing that way and I have to swap it back again!

So it seems starting the game with the same tactic is better and then react to how the game is going rather than change before the game.

I tend to change my team instructions based off the odds given at the start of the match as I've come to realise the scout reports are fairly useless. If I'm favourite by a large margin then I'll set up to play more attacking, if its fairly even then ill play balanced and if I'm expected to lose I'll usually play balanced counter-attacking, but I often find that I need to tweak one or two things just to adapt to the opposition.