Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Choosing penalty takers

Thirsk

Assuming that two players have the same Shooting attribute, if I have a player who is 'an expert in dead ball situations' and another who is 'an effective penalty taker' which would be better for taking penalty kicks? I am leaning on the 'effective penalty taker' but for some reason my guy keeps missing his penalty shots :S

Does dead ball situations mean only free kicks and corners?

Dead ball means everything I believe so in your scenario both choices are about equal.  Sounds like you may just be getting unlucky with your guy.  Does he have "struggles in big matches" or anything else on his scouting report?

Dead ball = set pieces , corners and free kick. The reason penalties shouldn't be included is because there's huge amounts of added pressure to it. Not every player can handle that so effective taker wins it.

But I've found way and way too many missed penalties as well in FMM17. Different players, good takers but just too many misses. Needs tweaking imo.

7 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

But I've found way and way too many missed penalties as well in FMM17. Different players, good takers but just too many misses. Needs tweaking imo.

Define "too many"?  Success ratio in real life is about 70-80% which means you should expect a miss about 1 out of 4 PKs.  In my experience, that's roughly what it has been.  

Ah thank goodness, so I better stick with the 'effective' penalty taker. But I agree the chances of converting from a penalty this year feels like a 50-50 chance. My 26 year old penalty taker with 17 Shooting doesn't seem to struggle in big matches nor does he thrive in them either, but tends to miss quite a bit. I believe his Current Ability is quite high as he has a ratio of two goals per game average.

Perhaps its something that also needs some tweaking. Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

8 minutes ago, veerus said:

Define "too many"?  Success ratio in real life is about 70-80% which means you should expect a miss about 1 out of 4 PKs.  In my experience, that's roughly what it has been.  

Oh that's a relief to hear, now I'll have to look a bit more closely with the conversion rates and hope it is around 70-80%

15 minutes ago, veerus said:

1 is 'too many' in every manager's point of view :)

But having played several seasons I roughly estimate a 1/3 went wide or straight into GK's hands. In any case a much higher ratio than FMH15 for example. Can't comment on FMM16 as I haven't played enough.

4 minutes ago, Thirsk said:

Oh that's a relief to hear, now I'll have to look a bit more closely with the conversion rates and hope it is around 70-80%

I just go through my last season.

I totally got 13 changes for PK and made 5 of them.

See below for detail.

Pogba 0/1 Penalty kic 12, set-piece 16, pressure handle 14, shooting 18

Rashford 3/4 Penalty kick 13, set-piece 14, pressure handle 17, shooting 18

Januzaj 0/3 Penalty kick 12, set-piece 15, pressure handle 11, shooting 13

Martial 1/3 Penalty kick 14, set-piece 9, pressure handle 20, shooting 18

Calhanoglu 1/2 Penalty kick 15, set-piece 20, pressure handle 16, shooting16

So, I am the unlucky one.

I think where people make mistake is when they think shooting is the only attribute to look at when choosing your penalty taker. 

Personally a good penalty taker is someone that can stand pressure (hidden attribute but sometimes you can see it from scout report), he should be composed (not a statement on FMM), he should have good decision and decent technique. I think all these things should be considered when selecting any set piece taker not only for penalties

9 hours ago, Dar J said:

I think where people make mistake is when they think shooting is the only attribute to look at when choosing your penalty taker. 

Personally a good penalty taker is someone that can stand pressure (hidden attribute but sometimes you can see it from scout report), he should be composed (not a statement on FMM), he should have good decision and decent technique. I think all these things should be considered when selecting any set piece taker not only for penalties

Agree with this and also age can come into it. I have a striker doing a 1KC that only scored about 60% of penalties when he was in his early twenties, but it went up to about 90% as he got to mid to late twenties. I guess the additional experience helped him a lot.

38 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

Agree with this and also age can come into it. I have a striker doing a 1KC that only scored about 60% of penalties when he was in his early twenties, but it went up to about 90% as he got to mid to late twenties. I guess the additional experience helped him a lot.

I've noticed that too. Having played Villalibre for 16 seasons (18yo - 34yo) he missed considerably more penalties in the first half of his career than in the 2nd half.