Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robbrown172

Two New Hornets: Niang And Zarate

fmm17logo.png.41454e51cdbe7ddcdd553057740372c8.png

The January transfer window. Where out-of-favour players move to seek new career challenges, where clubs at the top bulk their squad up to make it over the finish line first, and where relegation-threatned sides make their last gasp effort in order to avoid the trap door.

Yesterday, Watford completed the signing of former West Ham United player Mauro Zarate for an undisclosed fee from Italian side Fiorentina. Watford also completed the signing of 22-year-old M'Baye Niang from AC Milan on a loan deal.

How will these 2 do? Will they steer The Hornets away from any sort of trouble?

Well, I did a little simulation on Football Manager Mobile 2017 to see how they fared.

Overview of Their Profile

Screenshot_20170126-185008.png

M'baye Niang is rated as one of the most promising youngsters in the Football world, which reflects perfectly in his FMM 2017 profile. Firstly, he has a value of £11.5m, which is a pretty big amount for a 21-year-old.

Furthermore, he poses impressive stats for a young striker, with his 'dribbling', 'technique', 'movement' and 'pace' attributes being the highest out of his stats. The only downside to Niang's stats is his 'positioning' stats, which should be higher considering he's a striker.

Let's now have a look at Mauro Zarate...

Screenshot_20170126-185013.png

Unlike Niang, Mauro Zarate is getting on a bit in terms of age. At 29-years-old, it's fair to say that the Argentinian is past his prime. Despite that, he is still capable of doing a job for Watford, or a club with the same calibre. With a value of £5.25m, he is more than affordable for clubs at the bottom end of the Premier League.

'Technique' is Zarate's highest stat at 17, followed by his 'dribbling' and 'movement' stats. A concern with Zarate is that he has a lot of orange stats, including 'strength' and 'aerial', which is more of a concern considering he's an attacking player.

So, now we've had a look at the 2 new signings, how much of an impact will they make?

Italian Job Gone Wrong

Screenshot_20170126-190353.png

After a disappointing and depressing first-half to the season, Watford manager Walter Mazzarri was sacked after finding his side hovering just above the relegation zone. Sam Alladyce was brought in to replace the Italian, with the former England boss tasked with saving The Hornets from the drop.

Screenshot_20170126-190521.png

End of Season Table

After an awful season, Watford narrowly avoided the drop to the Championship by just 2 points, to the expense of Hull City.

Although Watford finished 17th, the attackers weren't to blame, with The Hornets scoring the most goals out of the bottom 7 teams, racking up 58 goals.

The problem was with the defence, leaking a massive 81 goals all season, 21 more than bottom side Bournemouth.

Screenshot_20170126-190856.png

2016-2017 Player Stats

Screenshot_20170126-191033.png

M'Baye Niang managed to score 5 goals all season for Watford, making 21 appearances and assisting on 3 occasions. Mauro Zarate experienced a much more disappointing season, making just 3 appearances and scoring 0 goals.

Screenshot_20170126-191039.png

So, in conclusion, it was a disastrous season at Vicarage Road, as both new signings failed to make any sort of major impact at the club. Let's hope they do a lot better in real life.

Thank you for reading. Leave your thoughts below.

Nice simulation (although I have to say I see no point in them, cause AI managers tend do underperform every time), just one thing, positioning is a defensive attribute :)

16 minutes ago, 44_veezy said:

Nice simulation (although I have to say I see no point in them, cause AI managers tend do underperform every time), just one thing, positioning is a defensive attribute :)

I always thought that positioning was both an attacking and defensive attribute as it's vital to have good positioning if you're a centre back, but also if you're a striker

it would make no sense, look at Suarez, Costa, Messi, Ronaldo etc., I guess positioning of all of them is below 10, but I believe its confusing because in the attribute is called positioning in FIFA series :) 

1 hour ago, Robbrown172 said:

I always thought that positioning was both an attacking and defensive attribute as it's vital to have good positioning if you're a centre back, but also if you're a striker

Positioning is defensive, movement is the attacking one