Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guides/Tips Tactics Guide For Newbies

BatiGoal

20 minutes ago, veerus said:

This is an interesting point. Would you say that in attacking formations you might value shooting over or equal to tackling compared to defensive/balanced formations where tackling is significantly more important compared to shooting? Or would you say that even in attacking formations, you'd rather have your BBM pass to the forwards instead of shooting?

To put in colors :) , for more defensive line-ups I'd want a green in tackling, and attacking line-ups a green in tackling and shooting. 

Would, for me, depend on the type of forwards I play. IFs cut inside and shoot so enough GK testing via center and flanks. Do I play wingers then yes I want to see my BBM give it a few long range shots to keep the GK guessing.

I think that's why IFs and BBMs aren't a favored combo on the pitch/ on the same flank. I think you play that combo right? Could still work of course but depending on how trigger-happy your BBM is it's plenty of long range efforts.

You just keep confusing me. :P Every time I start to understand that you really DO value tackling in your BBMs, you make a comment that makes me doubt it. :) 

And yes, I do currently play BBMs w/ IFs.  The BBMs haven't been shooting too much, nor tackling either, for that matter.  It could be a consequence of being in a lower league where players may not fully realize (or may not be able to perform) what a role is programmed/intended to do.  But the fact they're not shooting is likely a factor in that combination working for us at El Ejido.

Read again, mate, I clearly said I value tackling in defensive formations as well as in attacking ones. And shooting only if the attacking formation plays wingers.

So tackling at all times. Shooting only if two conditions are met. Clear as crystal, no? ;)

Re your combo, so your BBMs are basically acting like CMs. Perhaps less tackling because you're solid at the back (or opponents not strong enough in the attack for your BBM to perform defensive duties). And no shooting could very well be because the IFs are occupying that space. You could turn one IF into a winger and compare flanks, IF+BBM vs Winger+BBM, behaviour and effectiveness. Could give interesting results.

@veerus @BatiGoal I think this is part of why FMM is so fascinating. Although it's great for us to agree (or disagree) what attributes are most important to a role, there are always circumstances where that advice will be wrong.

You might find a player with a low value for an important attribute who is still a great player and perfect for your team. Or you might want to play a certain way where you need the players to have different attributes from most cases. Or there a bunch of other things that affect this like team mates, tactics, etc etc etc.

I do think the guide is fabulous starting point for beginners, but of course people shouldn't be afraid of trying things out and doing things their own way if something works for them. And of course, bring their findings back here into discussions like this one. So keep going, I'm enjoying this! :) 

Thanks @scratch99 I agree, how could I not, that this is a good starting point for newbie managers. They need to know the basics in order to be able to successfully create their own tactics and experiment and such.

But of course there are exceptions, as with everything, what you touched upon such as quality and skill set of teammates, player role combinations or the different objectives managers have which may place more emphasis on sec.attributes for specific roles, such as the BBM discussion in a very attacking formation where perhaps shooting becomes a prim.attr. under those specific circumstances only.

This should all be covered in an in-depth guide where managers explore beyond the "normal", far and far outside the box :)

Discussions like these give me ideas to test things out and do new tactical experiments for specific situations in a game. The more people share their experiences and voice their (dis)agreement the better.

So...what you're saying is a BBM doesn't need tackling in an attacking formation?? :laugh: lol kidding

Joking aside, I am running some tests currently designed to answer a few things I've wondered about. As an added bonus, I'm using United with Pogba as a BBM so I'll be able to throw some real stats around in a little while. 

12 minutes ago, veerus said:

So...what you're saying is a BBM doesn't need tackling in an attacking formation?? :laugh: lol kidding

Joking aside, I am running some tests currently designed to answer a few things I've wondered about. As an added bonus, I'm using United with Pogba as a BBM so I'll be able to throw some real stats around in a little while. 

Fantastic. Any info that sheds more light on roles or role combo's will be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to your findings.

Hm, I kind of forgot about this thread.  I'll try to do some analysis on the BBM performances in my primary outlet/attacker test in the next few days as promised.

16 hours ago, triforce said:

Some great tips here!

Thanx for the effort!

Welcome :)

2 hours ago, veerus said:

Hm, I kind of forgot about this thread.  I'll try to do some analysis on the BBM performances in my primary outlet/attacker test in the next few days as promised.

Looking forward to the results.

Box-to-Box Midfielder (BBM) player role prim./sec. attributes updated in the OP. Thanks for taking the time to run some tests @veerus .

If anyone else has any questions re attributes or has disagreeing views pls let us here it. Only discussion can make us improve. Thanks.

Close to giving up on this game. You settle with a tactic which seems promising, but after a while it all goes pear-shaped.

Latest game was with Juve, with the team looking very solid with my 3-2-2-3 formation, though scandalously struggling to get Dybala and Higuain amongst the goals. Mandzukic was on fire though.

Lo and behold about 10 games in, the whole system stops functioning completely. Back three of Bonucci (BPD), Chiellini and Benatia (both CD) forgets completely how to defend. And don't get me started on the midfield. Marchisio (CM) and Pjanic (DLP) virtually non-existent.

1 hour ago, FaruqY said:

Close to giving up on this game. You settle with a tactic which seems promising, but after a while it all goes pear-shaped.

Latest game was with Juve, with the team looking very solid with my 3-2-2-3 formation, though scandalously struggling to get Dybala and Higuain amongst the goals. Mandzukic was on fire though.

Lo and behold about 10 games in, the whole system stops functioning completely. Back three of Bonucci (BPD), Chiellini and Benatia (both CD) forgets completely how to defend. And don't get me started on the midfield. Marchisio (CM) and Pjanic (DLP) virtually non-existent.

Pm me and let me help you if you want....????⚽️

3 hours ago, FaruqY said:

10 games is not a whole lot to go by tbh. If it stops working after 10 games it means it wasn't a great set up to begin with, well, let me rephrase.. it isn't a finished product. Keep tweaking till you go an entire season with good performances / results.

Try a few new things. Drop 1 or 2 strikers to midfield in order to control the match. Maybe a CM to DM to support the back three. Fiddle with match settings, short passing should suit a top side like Juve with quality players. All I'm saying is 10 games is nothing to go by, keep tweaking.

3 hours ago, FaruqY said:

Take a second look at the tactics maybe you were just lucky for the first few games then if the tactics is fine watch the games again and try to figure out whats going wrong 

6 hours ago, Kuro said:

Do you have any suggestion for the tactics and player role in 4-3-3 Formation?

I don't often use a 4-3-3 but did use one with success in an earlier career this year. Lost some screenshots but think it was something like this..

T - AF or P - DLF

BBM - DLP or AP - CM

WB - CD - CD - WB

Try getting suitable players for the roles otherwise you will need to tweak a couple of 'em.

i used 4-1-2-2-1

4 defenders, 1 defensive midfielder, 2 midfielder, 2 Attacking Midfielder and 1 striker/forward.

but the important part for me is the defensive, midfielder and attacking midfielder side.

well i will try to search and get the players that can play DM/M C, players who can play M/AM C. so i can change the formation from 4-1-2-2-1 to 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1.

my attacking midfielder for the both flank must be able to play left, right and center. to covered up the position if any of them injured or been send off.