Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help [help] 2-3-2-3 Tweaks

ggbrito

Hey guys.

Even though I've been playing Football Manager for 3 to 4 years, I've never been a mastermind when it comes to create tactics.

I got lucky once or twice, but eventually, it all comes down to testing someone's else tactics ou playing that safe 4-2-3-1.

Now I'm trying to create my own tactic to do a career post trying to get Parma to Serie A again (and why not to European Glory?), but every single tactic I try I just get hammered again and again (I've tried 4-2-2-2, 4-2-3-1, and I tried this tactic, which is the one I've put more effort into creating it).

Well, I think I don't need to say it didn't work *shrug emoji*

So, to explain the tactic:

It's the basic W-W formation, inspired by 70's Ajax.

gl2bZ3o.png

8ORmrdR.png

About the players roles, I wanted them to act like this poorly drawing (I've never had artistic skills hehe)

LVBCPfh.jpg

So, what am I doing wrong? (besides everything or being born)

Dude It's always a struggle to create a tactic so good job having a go

First thing i would do is change the instructions so your passing is mixed, If you keep sending it to the flanks then those players are going to get swarmed every time you take possession

Now with your back line it's very prone to counter attacks you have two at the back one of whom is a BPD which means he will come forward along with your two WB's when the team has the ball but if their caught out of position then that leave just one CD and your GK in defence, so try changing the BPD for another CD then when your WB go forward you still have two at the back to defend 

Your midfield needs some physicality maybe try changing your CM to a BBM (good passing and stamina needed) this way you have the DLP and AP to be the more passing players and the BBM to run with the ball

It might also be worth changing your AF for a PCR as you have two IF's, an AF and AP all vying for the same space around the edge of the box

Give these a try or some variation maybe keep the CM and change the AP for a BBM or keep the AP/CM combo and change the DLP for a BWM

Hope this helps and good luck 

1 hour ago, Taff said:

Dude It's always a struggle to create a tactic so good job having a go

First thing i would do is change the instructions so your passing is mixed, If you keep sending it to the flanks then those players are going to get swarmed every time you take possession

Now with your back line it's very prone to counter attacks you have two at the back one of whom is a BPD which means he will come forward along with your two WB's when the team has the ball but if their caught out of position then that leave just one CD and your GK in defence, so try changing the BPD for another CD then when your WB go forward you still have two at the back to defend 

Your midfield needs some physicality maybe try changing your CM to a BBM (good passing and stamina needed) this way you have the DLP and AP to be the more passing players and the BBM to run with the ball

It might also be worth changing your AF for a PCR as you have two IF's, an AF and AP all vying for the same space around the edge of the box

Give these a try or some variation maybe keep the CM and change the AP for a BBM or keep the AP/CM combo and change the DLP for a BWM

Hope this helps and good luck 

Thank you Taff! Twice, for your answer and for your tactic tafftastic, which I've used on FMM.

So far, I haven't lost a match with your tweaks. The problem is I haven't won also. All draws, and by now I'm already thinking if the problem is my players haha. I'll keep trying.

Thank you!

The closest I can think of to make your team perform like on your diagram is the following:

• Change AF to DLF
  • Move up the DLP and make him into a BBM
  • Change your CD into LD (to make sure he stays home while the BPD wanders)
10 minutes ago, veerus said:

The closest I can think of to make your team perform like on your diagram is the following:

• Change AF to DLF
  • Move up the DLP and make him into a BBM
  • Change your CD into LD (to make sure he stays home while the BPD wanders)

I'm no tactical genius, so apologies if I'm completely off the mark, but don't LDs and BPDs not play well together? At least in my experience. The CD should sit down just as much as the LD, only the LD is going to play direct and clear. CD's usually hold possession a bit more.

And my apologies, veerus, if this comes off wrong. I'm not trying to argue, just adding my two cents. Definitely agree on the first two points all the way.

No worries, it's a valid question.  My reasoning behind making the suggestion is that with the BPD wandering all of the the pitch, you need someone to "stay at home".  LD's will do that while CD can have a bit more of a creative license to not always be the last line of defense.

Hey guys. I've been real busy lately, and couldn't answer here. I tried the tweaks that @veerus suggested, I tried tweaks of my own, but I ended up being fired from Parma anyway. I'm thinking of trying it with a stronger team, but not so sure it will work.

Thank you for sharing your tactic , its always a try-out when making a tactic, i always try to test in different levels of the game, but if you make a tactic that works in a lower league - my experience is that its likely to work in the seria a also.

where are you with you tweaks at the moment ? 

16 hours ago, ggbrito said:

Hey guys. I've been real busy lately, and couldn't answer here. I tried the tweaks that @veerus suggested, I tried tweaks of my own, but I ended up being fired from Parma anyway. I'm thinking of trying it with a stronger team, but not so sure it will work.

Sorry to see you got the sack. Sometimes a premade tactic just doesn't work with the players you have in the lower leagues. At that level you have to tinker with the tactic until it works with the players you have. In my experience, forcing a tactic on a team is only really effective with top players/teams. 

@veerus @AndersJ

Now I'm trying my challenge, and I kinda adapted this tactic to PSV. I'm having good results, it's not invincible but I'm first on Eredivisie, having beat Ajax with some ease.

Instructions are:

Balanced

Mixed or Direct

Mixed

Mixed

Normal or Committed

Counter Attack vs stronger teams

Pressing vs weaker teams.

I use this when I play weaker or same level teams:

DTMSjry.png

When playing against stronger teams:

cVIxdvD.png

Player Roles:

w4toyrd.png

EBtZAN2.png

Those 2 games I thought I could've won. Those defeats hit me really hard:

nf5YK9P.png

up9Cqpi.png

Edited by ggbrito

Its not to critisize your idea mate, but Do you Think that your players can learn all 3 tactics at the same time? My experience is that it confuses them, but great if it works for you :)

That is actually a good question that I haven't thought about. I mean, while playing FM we can preset 3 tactics for players to learn, but I don't know if this is the same for FMM, as seeing they're just some small variations of the main tactic.

I tend to use my FR and FL as Inside Forwards, as they can score a lot. But when the game is tied and they aren't doing much, I change them do DLF so they can provide some assists for my AF.

About the wingbacks, I get them to play on the defense line to avoid getting balls in their backs, which was a problem that I was having with Parma before.

But in the end, I do think your point is extremely accurate. I can recall big/decisive matches being won using the same formation that I use against stronger teams (like Real Madrid an Manchester City. In the 2nd game, I tied with Madrid and lost again to Man City :( ).

I'll keep testing this. The positive results gave me motivation to insist on this formation.

edit: Oh, and don't worry about criticizing. We are here to discuss this tactic, and if it sucks or it has problems, it must be said so we can all move on :) 

Edited by ggbrito
8 minutes ago, AndersJ said:

Its not to critisize your idea mate, but Do you Think that your players can learn all 3 tactics at the same time? My experience is that it confuses them, but great if it works for you :)

Unlike the full PC FM version, tactic memory/practice is not a thing in FMM. Only thing that's important is that they gel together with the current setting. Past setups don't influence anything.