Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career A Defender's Story: 250+ Goals

BatiGoal

Hi guys,

It's time for a new career. I haven't done anything like this before so I have absolutely no clue how I'm going to make it, and if at all. For all I know I could fail miserably but it's something that's been on my mind for a long time and now the time has finally come to give it my best shot. Enough scoring with forwards. Enough assisting with midfielders. It's time for a Defender to shine and be the hero in one of my careers. The idea is simple, the rest nothing but. It's a challenge created by our friend @Ashez Thanks mate, see full details in the spoiler:

Spoiler

The Ronald Koeman Goal Challenge

It's not often that the name of a world class defender goes before the words goal challenge but when i heard of the record the Dutchman Ronald Koeman has i knew i had to bring this challenge to Vibe. 

0305c00d552542e4b02678597a4201b7.jpg

The Back story

Did you know that Koeman is the world's highest ever scoring central defender? Although he sometimes played within the midfield Koeman here has an incredible record which stands at 239 goals scored in 685 games at club level and an impressive 14 in 78 at international level, that my friends is a center back with over 250 goals! Even though Koeman took free kicks and penalties that is a record to behold and i'm sure it outshines many a striker and just to put it into perspective England's very own Peter Crouch has scored 180 goals at club level in 606 appearances! Madness!

The Challenge

As you've already guessed the challenge is to see what's the highest amount of goals you can get a central defender, can you get close to Koeman's record or maybe even beat it?

Rules

1. The player can only play CB

2. No use of the editors or myclub and so on

3. Own formations only

4. No cheating which includes save reloading

5. International goals can count but only goals after the start date count. 

6. Only goals at club level under your management count

7. Evidence will be required.

The Target

Ronald Koeman - Real Life - 253

Leaderboard

Good luck lads!

There you have it. I'm going to attempt scoring 250+ goals with a defender whilst playing him as a Center Back only!! I feel this could be a looong career but I'll be delighted if I even come anywhere near Ronald Koeman's amazing record of 253 goals. I hope with your help, support and encouragement I manage to do the impossible and help the chosen player to become one of the highest, if not the highest goal-scoring defender of all time.

• League: Primeira Liga
  • Club: S.L. Benfica
  • Defender: Riechedly Bazoer
  • Player Role: Ball Playing Defender
  • Formation: ?
  • Engine: OME

Progress

DefGlsChallenge.png

Wish me luck!

Edited by BatiGoal

This is actually a really good idea, never seen anything like this before I don't think, will definitely be following this! If you haven't got a defender in mind you could Nicklas Sule or maybe even Rúben Semedo, who plays similar positions to what koeman played, as he is a centre back and can play CDM!

28 minutes ago, mcandrew003 said:

This is actually a really good idea, never seen anything like this before I don't think, will definitely be following this! If you haven't got a defender in mind you could Nicklas Sule or maybe even Rúben Semedo, who plays similar positions to what koeman played, as he is a centre back and can play CDM!

Thanks, hope you like the journey.

I have to keep in mind tho the possibility of managing the player's home nation and score ITN goals as well. That would be a big bonus and make it a lot more attainable. That rules out any German player but Sule is a great one, I've used him before and he's rock solid, but unfortunately not the guy for this type of challange. Semedo looks good. Thanks for the suggestion.

3 minutes ago, veerus said:

It's a Strifender career! Why OME?

EME has its issues and to be honest I'm not so sure anymore if we're better off with the EME or OME. Last time I played OME was 2+ years ago..in fact, never played OME again after EME was introduced. I feel this is the right type of challenge to go back to OME and compare the two. Also, wondering if I still got game on the old engine ;)

Huh, I never thought anyone would play this challenge haha. 

I'm also surprised by the OME being used for this challenge, I'd have thought you'd want all the tactical benefit possible for this challenge. 

3 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Huh, I never thought anyone would play this challenge haha. 

I'm also surprised by the OME being used for this challenge, I'd have thought you'd want all the tactical benefit possible for this challenge. 

What tactical benefit? :D

What I need to do is put the guy on penalty kicks, on free kicks, Get the ITN job and most importantly create an offensive tactic that forces the opponent to give away a fair amount of free kicks near their goal. Don't worry, I got this. Hopefully lol. If things don't work out I might jump over to the EME where I'm perhaps a little more comfortable and try it there once more. Man, I got a challenge on my hands!

Some roles just work better on the EME and the amount of long shots that fly in just makes me think that engine is better suited lol. I'd try and build a BPD tactic that pushes the CB forward and closer to goal etc. Tbh tactically this will be a tough challenge, especially with no set piece options or the like where you could attempt to target the CB and so on. 

12 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I'd try and build a BPD tactic that pushes the CB forward and closer to goal etc

This is what I was thinking too. 

You need to find someone who's got the "expert at dead balls" trait, retrain him to CB yet keep him on attacking training so he keeps his shooting up. Sounds easy..... not :D

Very best of luck with this mate.  It sounds very interesting to say the least and definitely worth following.  Reidewald could be a good shout for this ?

Looking forward to the updates.

Hey @BatiGoal, loving this career already. Cant wait for someone to give the defenders a bit of love, especially after our recent conversation.

I'm guessing we'll get a young DM with CB as an accomplished position so there's more chance of the free kick skill being in there.

@Ashez Dunno how I missed this challenge before. Great combo of defender and goalscoring which my idea didn't have. May have to give it a go myself.

@Ashez @veerus - yes, there's no doubt the player will need to be playing as a BPD. I gotta make sure I pick there perfect player for this challenge.

@Massey127 @PriZe - thanks for the warm support guys, and the suggestion too.

@Thepremiermanager - hope you can add those missing ingredients and turn your idea into a challenge. I had a player in mind for this yesterday but having the right guy is going to be crucial so I decided to spend an extra day searching the DB for the hero of this challenge. Need to make sure I'm off to a good start.

This challenge has officially gone underway. There's no going back anymore. I have decided on the country, league, club and player. As I'm still in early pre-season I have yet to determine what formation and tactics I'm going to be using for this, the more I think of it, tough challenge I'm facing.

Country + League

Spoiler

PorLiga.png

Club + Stadium

Spoiler

BenficaPlusStadium.png

Player / Defender

Spoiler

BazoerAttr.png

BazoerCAPA.png

BazoerStats.png

Why Portugal?

Last time I played in Portugal was many careers ago. And having a Portuguese background myself I feel it's time to give this wonderful league a go again. Also, for the type of challenge I feel I'm in the right country and in the right league.

Why Benfica?

I love Benfica. It's my favorite Portuguese club. I remember being in Portugal on holiday and walking past this incredible stadium. Never watched a game inside the stadium unfortunately but I know a lot about the club, the history and the players. Also, I haven't played this team enough during my FMM years so I feel this is definitely the right time and the right club for me.

Why Bazoer?

He looks great. He's got many years ahead of him and his very talented. He's got fine attributes and with proper training I believe he's going to be an excellent Ball Playing Defender for me. I still need to find the perfect set up for him but I think he is not going to disappoint. Also, his nationality won it over other talents I had in mind as getting the Holland job will come in handy for extra goals. But most importantly, I wanted to go with a fellow Dutchie to break this incredible record Ronald Koeman has set, who is Dutch himself. I need to add this type of flavor in my challenges as to keep the motivation throughout long careers such as this one.

Comments with your thoughts on my choices are welcome as usual.

2 hours ago, Massey127 said:

Excellent choice mate! 

This is going to be very interesting, wishing you the very best of luck!

Thanks a lot.

I hope I can find a good tactic to get the best out of him.

Just caught up with this and this is going to be fascinating! I didn't even know that challenge existed. Nice choices and can't wait to see how it goes.

8 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

Just caught up with this and this is going to be fascinating! I didn't even know that challenge existed. Nice choices and can't wait to see how it goes.

Thanks mate.

There are some lovely challenges buried in the archives. It's extra nice to give a challenge its debut on Vibe.

2 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Country + League

Reveal hidden contents

PorLiga.png

Club + Stadium

Reveal hidden contents

BenficaPlusStadium.png

Player / Defender

Reveal hidden contents

BazoerAttr.png

BazoerCAPA.png

BazoerStats.png

Why Bazoer?

He looks great. He's got many years ahead of him and his very talented. He's got fine attributes and with proper training I believe he's going to be an excellent Ball Playing Defender for me. I still need to find the perfect set up for him but I think he is not going to disappoint. Also, his nationality won it over other talents I had in mind as getting the Holland job will come in handy for extra goals. But most importantly, I wanted to go with a fellow Dutchie to break this incredible record Ronald Koeman has set, who is Dutch himself. I need to add this type of flavor in my challenges as to keep the motivation throughout long careers such as this one.

Great choice of player. Had a look at him yesterday when I saw the topic.

This should be a really interesting career!

Great choices Bat :D 

Regarding an old challenge returning as Bati said the site has loads hidden away from previous years. If a challenge flops or a member leaves they rarely get reposted so it's always worth taking the time to see if an old challenge is of interest. I've often dipped back into the past to see if anything old inspires something new :). 

2 hours ago, Thepremiermanager said:

Great choice of player. Had a look at him yesterday when I saw the topic.

This should be a really interesting career!

Thanks. I really believe in him. If I fail to have him score 250+ goals it's either down to my inexperience playing such challenges and/or my shortcomings as a manager. There are imo few players better suited for this mission than Bazoer.

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

Great choices Bat :D 

Regarding an old challenge returning as Bati said the site has loads hidden away from previous years. If a challenge flops or a member leaves they rarely get reposted so it's always worth taking the time to see if an old challenge is of interest. I've often dipped back into the past to see if anything old inspires something new :). 

Thanks mate.

Let me be brutally honest with everyone. Do I think I can score this insane amount of goals with a BPD in this boy's career, roughly 15 seasons? No. Maybe I underestimate myself or overestimate the difficulty of the challenge, we'll find out soon enough. But this is what I love about challenges, push your limits to the max. or die trying. This is unknown territory for me as I've never attempted anything close to it, but that's exactly what excites me and I believe the journey will make me a better manager.

Also, to be clear, as Ashez stated in the challenge thread, the aim of the challenge is to get a CD as many goals as possible and get your name on the leaderboard. Breaking Koeman's record of 253 is a bonus, so any attempt is a "successful" one and will serve as the standard on this site. My personal goal is 10 gls/season and a total of 150. Anything north of this number is a bonus.

The club, the squad, the manager and Bazoer are ready for the challenge. Can't wait to kick off the season.

1 hour ago, tenere1982 said:

I still remember the fear and the anticipation of a goal every time Koeman was about to fire in a free kick.

Make them feel the same way again!

He was without question one of the best free kick takers.

14 minutes ago, PriZe said:

Great choice of player m8! Will defo do this!!! I expect you to get 253 goals instead of 10 per season :P

You're by far the most optimistic person this community has ever seen. Or the biggest liar :laugh:

If the penalty ratio is the same as on the EME then I have a realistic shot.

3 minutes ago, PriZe said:

Pen's, FK's and corners. Dunno how it affects a tactic when setting a defender as your primary attacker:laugh: but it does help with corners! 

So go go go 253!

;) let's see if I can break the OME as well lol

23 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

;) let's see if I can break the OME as well lol

it's broke as **** :P so that shouldn't be to hard. High expectations of you, don't fail me like you did in the Cup ;)

2 hours ago, danovic78 said:

I was thinking about posting this challenge, didn't know it was already created, good luck with this one @BatiGoal

His stats are quite exceptional! 

Thanks buddy! His attributes are already "very green" after a few months on a modified technical training regime. Few goals tho. Still trying to figure out how best to get goals out of him. Tough tough challenge.