Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career A Defender's Story: 250+ Goals

BatiGoal

4 hours ago, Fish18ish said:

If anything I think GK injuries are too rare in game. They are reasonably common in real life.

Agree. Hardly ever placed a sub GK on the bench as 99% of the time I wouldn't need him but because it's incredibly unrealistic I've started to give the S1 spot to my sub goalie. 

Interesting tho that 11 seasons hardly any issues with GKs until this season where both got hit by injuries. Not being a total newbie I have to highly talented goalies in my B team as back up/ future stars.

Update tonight.. (closing in on 200 goals for BPD Bazoer)

Season 12

So we're 12 seasons in now and still a few goals short of the big 200. The big 200? Funny tho, come to think of it don't think I've ever mentioned 'the big' followed by such a low number. We're dealing with a defender here so it's not that surprising of course, but playing this career for 12 seasons and probably another 3-4 more on top of that, I can't tell you how much I miss playing a striker challenge and seeing those goals pile up 3 to 4x as fast :) but it's been a great "new thing" I've been messing with and I've learned a few things along the way that I'll hopefully be able to use in future challenges. Anyways.. first things first..BPD Bazoer..

RB2728.png

Our main man at the start of the season. He's 30yo and looking pretty good still for hopefully another 3 top seasons. That's what we're hoping for anyways. I'm guessing there's still 3 great seasons in him left, followed by 2 decent ones with hopefully something close to 8-10 gls/seasons and 1 last I-shouldn't-have-let-BG-persuaded-me-reconsidering-retirement season. If that's what the future holds for us then we'll be well over 200 gls and maybe...Major Maybe..we'll come close to Ronald Koeman's record. Time will tell.

Let's get straight to the business side of things for a change..

Progress

DefGlsChallenge181.png

There it is. We were on 165 gls after season 11. So it's a small jump to 181 (+16) after 12 seasons of intensive brain-storming, testing, tweaking, hoping, praying and button-clicking. The absolute minimum I wanted to achieve was 150 gls. To consider this challenge a success I wanted to get Bazoer 200+ gls, I think we'll get there. I'm pretty sure actually, I'd be devastated if we weren't to reach that number looking at things now. But the Jackpot..The Jackpot is 254.. 1 more than Koeman's record. I'm ambitious and I want The Jackpot..always. We'll try doing what it takes to get those magical digits in till the very last day. I don't want to do any calculations, I really don't want to get my hopes up.. or down.. anything can happen still in terms of injuries, form, and so on.. but I do think will come really close.. either just short or slightly over it.. let's hope it's the latter.

Bazoer - Benfica Goals

Spoiler

S12rb4.png

S12rb3.png

S12rb5.png

S12rb6.png

S12rb7.png

S12rb13.png

S12rb12.png

S12rb9.png

Last game of the season he could've popped one more in but.. a shame it wasn't to be as he was having a great end of the season run. CL win is sweet tho.

Bazoer - Holland Goals

Spoiler

S12rb14.png

S12rb2.png

Bazoer - Best Game

S12rb1.png

HAT-TRICK!! First time I see a defender scoring 3 gls in 1 game in one of my teams. By far his best performance so far. We've had a better result this season crushing a lower league team 19-0, where he managed to score no gls btw which is pretty amazing to achieve lol but this 15-2 is a hundred times sweeter for obvious reasons. This won't happen again, I'm sure of that, so I'll cherish it forever :)

Bazoer - 16 Goals

S12rb11.png

Decent number once again. We got 14 club goals and 2 INT goals which makes 16 for the season. With season 13 knocking and Bazoer being a few days from his 31st birthday he's already got 750+ games under his belt. I think we can reach the big 1000 if things go according to plan. That would be some milestone for our friend. Well, he fully deserves it. As for the 200 gls..yeah, we got that, it's a matter of time. And that's not me being over-confident, it's being realistic. And the 250+ .. that's a big call..hope we can answer that for everyone watching here. I'll do my best.

European Championships

Spoiler

S12rb10.png

We qualified with ease from our Group with Iceland and Turkey among others and are now faced with some decent opposition in Group E. Germany are current European Champions, and holders, so they'll definitely be one of the favorites. But so are we having been crowned World Champions 2 years ago. For the past 2 years we've beaten all teams in our Qual. group and we've done really well with some fresh young blood in our team to support Bazoer. So I can say we're all pumped up and very much looking forward to a successful and awesome EU Football Championship summer 2028.. with us holding both cups (EC and WC) at the same time. That's any manager's dream surely.

We're only a week away from the start of the tournament and Bazoer's looking as sharp as ever.. I even gave him extra rest towards the end of the season to have a fully fit and hungry Dutch defender on our hands who'll be scoring the goals for us. With hopefully 6-7 games coming up I'm hoping to get 1 or 2 extra gls for our guy which may not seem much but these bits make a difference in the end. As with the previous WC I'm planning to post the next update as a Eur. Football Ch'ships Special.. with detailed coverage of the games and tactics.. until..

S12rb8.png

..until this. Pfff. What a bummer. 2 years looking forward to this and now the game decided Bazoer is going to miss it. Yes, it's not a whole lot of goals he's missing out on but remember that I got this Holland job after a decade into this career. So I've waited 10 years and was hoping for 4-5 major tournaments with RB but it'll remain just 1 now. He'll be 33 by the time he plays his second major tournament, the World Cup 2030. Big disappoinment as the distraction was welcome as well but instead I'll be playing a Holland side without its talisman. I'd rather skip the whole tournament tbf but we got a reputation to hold up so.. we'll try to win it..for Bazoer!

Thanks for reading. Support, Love, Comments Welcome.

He's even a candidate for the assist challenge! A bloody CB! Just noticed/let it sink in how many he's got! Truly a mind boggling save haha. 

In the 23/24 season he was responsible for 36 goals. That's over one every other game :O. Hell I've seen wingers with worse stats never mind CB! 

58 minutes ago, mcandrew003 said:

Excellent season again mate, you can do it now, come on Bazoer!

Thanks for the encouraging words, mate.

32 minutes ago, Ashez said:

He's even a candidate for the assist challenge! A bloody CB! Just noticed/let it sink in how many he's got! Truly a mind boggling save haha. 

In the 23/24 season he was responsible for 36 goals. That's over one every other game :O. Hell I've seen wingers with worse stats never mind CB! 

Thanks mate! He was right in his peak that year. And only 43 games played as well so imagine if he'd played an extra 10-15 games. I think I've found him a really good formation that makes him support the attack as much as possible and do as little defensive work as necessary. I remember a decent amount of penalties and free kicks that year but those have declined over the years.. and that's the tough part about this challenge. I've come to a point I don't really know what to try anymore with a defender. Very different to getting forwards to score. There seem to be way more possibilities for those..new creators..a new role for the striker himself..fiddle with flankmen..there's always something new that pops to mind, but with defensive players I just seem to run out of ideas way faster. So I'm likely just going to ride this out as it is with the same tactics and formation and hope for the best.

6 hours ago, Ashez said:

That's a good observation.  That's a lot!  Also, his yellow cards went down a lot in the last couple years.  Did his decisions go up or something?  Or just random luck?

56 minutes ago, veerus said:

That's a good observation.  That's a lot!  Also, his yellow cards went down a lot in the last couple years.  Did his decisions go up or something?  Or just random luck?

Very good point! I saw his desire for cards few seasons back but didn't really not how to "tell" my friend to use his cools during heated contests. Let me dig in the stats and try to recall what I've done differently over the past 3 seasons. Hadn't noticed 3 yellows only this season. That's almost too low for a CB.

13 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

Very good point! I saw his desire for cards few seasons back but didn't really not how to "tell" my friend to use his cools during heated contests. Let me dig in the stats and try to recall what I've done differently over the past 3 seasons. Hadn't noticed 3 yellows only this season. That's almost too low for a CB.

1 yellow in 32 league matches (+16 continental)...

Going well mate! 200 is a certainty. The real question is whether he can reach that 254 and I'm hopeful of that too. If it comes down to it, you can probably keep him playing another 8 years (or more), although I guess early retirement could come along. But if you keep him going, even if he's just scoring penalties, his total will creep up towards the target. 

Thanks @scratch99 200 shouldn't be a problem anymore. We're 19 off. If not next season then the one after.

Also, I've noticed him being a little more tired towards the end of the season compared to previous years. Hence my decision to rest him a bit more to get him fresh and ready for the Euro. Cup, which he's missing out on :@ but looks like his age is starting.. just starting.. to show and I'll need to start fiddling with his training regime (on 11ip now - for top players) and reduce that gradually and increase his resting periods. It's feeling like a "1K" all over again.

On 3/30/2017 at 09:04, veerus said:

1 yellow in 32 league matches (+16 continental)...

Looks like his teammates "covered" for him this season. A few of them picked up a lot more cards compared to previous seasons.

2028pic5.png

Seems like Gonzalez (CD - CD role) and Sanches (CM - BBM role) picked up all the cards for the team this season. Not sure why as I haven't applied any significant changes afaik.

European Championships - No Bazoer

Spoiler

2028pic3.png

2028pic1.png

2028pic2.png

It wasn't fun without Bazoer so I just picked the best 11 and hoped for the best. Didn't even bother to tweak and sub at half-time. Never in the mood to play this tournament without my defender who needs goals but I also knew it was important to keep the Holland job for extra games and goals. We started rough with a loss to France and was a little worried I'd pick up another bad result which would've ended our run but we got the needed points. Italy was a tough game and it looked like we were going to be knocked out. They piled up the pressure and created more chances but we hit them on the counter. Germany, the holders, in the Quarters and I made sure the tactics were right. We don't want to lose against our bitter rivals and certainly don't want to see them win this Cup twice. Fairly easy win despite conceding two. Then Croatia in the Semi's gave us a real chance to reach the finals. After a tight first half we showed in the second half why we deserve to be in the final. Switzerland awaited which was a surprise. They beat France and Spain on the way to the final and looking at their team they had some very decent players. I still expected to win it but it proved really tough. Twice down a goal we managed to get back in the game. Our third goal was disallowed and we just nicked it in the shoot-out. We missed our 5th kick and I thought that was it right there, but they missed their following two and "gave" us the Cup. We won it for Bazoer. We are now European AND World Champions. Hell Yes!

Bazoer actually just recovered days before the final but he had just started training and wasn't 100% yet so I decided to take zero risks and leave him out of the starting line-up. He was subbed in for the shoot-out to boost his confidence for the upcoming season as I need him to start Season 13 fit, fresh and full of confidence.

2028pic4.png

Bazoer at 31yo back in training getting ready for Season 13..

Season 13

(coming up..)

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

Winning the European Cup without even trying, easy! Haha

I'm lucky I managed to avoid Portugal and France after the group. France has Gestede, my main striker at Benfica, he's class and it was due to his brace we lost the first group match. Portugal has a very strong team as most players are playing for me. Pretty sure I would've lost to them as the Dutch side isn't that great tbh apart from Bazoer.

Just caught up with the story so far, @BatiGoal. Not sure which I enjoyed more, the in-game challenge itself or the thought and effort you go into while sharing it with all of us. It's not over, but this has been cracking. Really great stuff.

2 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

I'm lucky I managed to avoid Portugal and France after the group. France has Gestede, my main striker at Benfica, he's class and it was due to his brace we lost the first group match. Portugal has a very strong team as most players are playing for me. Pretty sure I would've lost to them as the Dutch side isn't that great tbh apart from Bazoer.

Golden rule of being a national team manager is to make your club squad full of players from that nation ;) 

3 hours ago, Jack.Holt said:

Just caught up with the story so far, @BatiGoal. Not sure which I enjoyed more, the in-game challenge itself or the thought and effort you go into while sharing it with all of us. It's not over, but this has been cracking. Really great stuff.

Thanks a lot, mate.

3 hours ago, Ashez said:

Golden rule of being a national team manager is to make your club squad full of players from that nation ;) 

So true. One of the rules I forget too often. There's still time ;)

7 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Thanks a lot, mate.

So true. One of the rules I forget too often. There's still time ;)

ITN does at least boost the players ability just like any other match would. ITN training would be really cool but would likely break the balance of the game, I want training reworked though as been the same for like a decade haha, hopefully one day it is reworked and ITN is implemented into it. Still think it's daft we don't have ITN staff though. 

6 hours ago, Taff said:

Congrats dude a World and European Cup they should have hired you 9 years and 11 months earlier

They don't deserve a manager like me for all those ignored years..but I kinda need the job :)

4 hours ago, Ashez said:

ITN does at least boost the players ability just like any other match would. ITN training would be really cool but would likely break the balance of the game, I want training reworked though as been the same for like a decade haha, hopefully one day it is reworked and ITN is implemented into it. Still think it's daft we don't have ITN staff though. 

The potential this game has.. Just hope we don't get to say 'one day..' too often.

Season 13

Edging closer to the 200 goals with our Ball Playing Defender Bazoer. He's on 181 gls at the moment. Will this be the season he hits that incredible milestone?

Transfers

Spoiler

28-29transfers.png

3 youngsters who are going to play in Benfica B for a year. They look promising and if they develop nicely they'll get their shot in my squad. There's a few 30+ players who need replacing in a season or two so I'm going to need quality replacements for those.

August

• Season 13 started with some good results winning the first few league games and winning both the domestic and European Super Cup. No goals for Bazoer tho.

September

• More of the same. It's taking Bazoer more than a few games to find his rhythm after his pre-season injury. 12 games without a goal until game 13 brought some good and long-awaited news.

October

Spoiler

28-29october.png

• A good win against our lil' bro Futebol Benfica and Bazoer scores his first of the season.

November

Spoiler

28-29november.png

• Bazoer with a brace. Now that's more like it. He's back in form scoring for Holland as well a few weeks earlier.

December

Spoiler

28-29december.png

• Club World Champions. Bazoer has won it all. A great free kick to seal the victory against the Copa Libertadores Winners.

January

Spoiler

28-29january.png

• A penalty. Bazoer's been somewhat fortunate this season scoring 6 penalties (missing one) which brought him a good total.

February

Spoiler

28-29red.png

• Red. That's his second this career and cost us the game. A rare home loss and the fans return home disappointed.

March

Spoiler

28-29march.png

• He gets his easy goal and brings his seasonal total in all competitions to 10+ goals.

April

Spoiler

28-29april.png

• His 6th and last converted penalty of the season. Without those we'd be looking at nearly half his league production.

May

Spoiler

28-29may.png

• CL Winners. Bazoer nets just before the break bringing us the lead and the eventual win. We've won everything now.

June

Spoiler

28-29nlgoals.png

• Nearly forgot there were extra Holland games to be played. A good season turned into a great one. 16 is now 18 :)

World Rankings

Spoiler

28-29nlone.png

• Took us a while to reach the top of the mountain but we made it. We are the best for now.

We won it all

Spoiler

28-29cupsx7.png

• Not the first time tho but thought it was nice to include this shot. It looks pretty.

Formation/Tactics testing & tweaking

28-29drawsgalore.png

A bit of a bad run towards the end of the season but we recorded a fair amount of clean sheets. Bazoer is getting older (32yo - hitting 33yo during season 14) and I may need to tweak a few things next season or the one after that. We had won the league by this point so a few points loss was no problem. I learned a few things on how to keep it tight at the back and I may need to tweak Bazoer's role or the formation he's playing in when his attributes take a hit.

18 Goals

28-29RB18gls.png

15 club goals and 3 ITN goals. That's 18 for the season which is pretty good at this point. 181 + 18 = 199. One short of 200. Surely that won't be a problem next season. Looking a bit further ahead to Ronald Koeman's record of 253 gls. We're 54 short of that and need 55 to beat it. Starting season 14 BPD Bazoer will hit 33yo in October. Perhaps 2 more decent seasons..and another 2 as an "old man"..it's possible but it's going to be very close. TBH I won't be devastated if we don't break that record as I'm more than happy scoring 200+, but knocking Koeman off his throne would be a sweet bonus. We'll do our best. See you in season 14.

Progress

DefGlsChallenge199.png

Comments, Love, Support welcome.

Five 0-0s in a row is some sort of achievement in itself!

200+ goals is amazing - this has been such a great career. Topping Koeman's record (you never know!) really would be the icing on the cake.

20 minutes ago, Taff said:

Getting 200 with a CD is a huge achievement dude, congrats (hope I haven't jinxed it now)

KIU

Thanks mate, I had seriously no idea I'd be able to score this many with a defender. I never really paid attention to their goal records in my teams, or in any team for that matter. No one does I think. Hopefully we get a clean sheet record/stat someday. That would make playing defender/goalkeeper  challenges much more interesting.

23 minutes ago, Jack.Holt said:

Five 0-0s in a row is some sort of achievement in itself!

200+ goals is amazing - this has been such a great career. Topping Koeman's record (you never know!) really would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks mate. Was a bit worried after those 5 0-0s as I still had R.Madrid to beat. But it's quite unusual tho that long (incl. a 120min game) without any goal. Was starting to fear someone had jinxed my game. :S

Great going, I think 230 is defiantly on the cards...

I had four 0-0 draws just the other day so you are not the only one, no idea why? Then it was back to normal....Odd?

4 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Transfers

Hide contents

28-29transfers.png

3 youngsters who are going to play in Benfica B for a year. They look promising and if they develop nicely they'll get their shot in my squad.

I couldn't find your thread on loan vs reserve vs part time sub appearances so remind me please. Isn't loan the best for developing youngsters? Why are you sticking them on team B instead?

1 hour ago, danovic78 said:

Great going, I think 230 is defiantly on the cards...

I had four 0-0 draws just the other day so you are not the only one, no idea why? Then it was back to normal....Odd?

I was testing defensive / counter-attacking formations so it isn't entirely surprising maybe. 

I'd be happy with 230 gls :)

46 minutes ago, veerus said:

I couldn't find your thread on loan vs reserve vs part time sub appearances so remind me please. Isn't loan the best for developing youngsters? Why are you sticking them on team B instead?

Under the right circumstances (guaranteed playing time in a league their level) loan is indeed the best option. The reason I kept them at the club is because Benfica has great facilities and because I'm playing a squad of 18-20 players. Sometimes I need to juggle between the A and B team. Also, on a few occasions youngsters developed really well and I decided to bring them into my squad mid-season to test them on a higher level (which is ultimately the best choice for youngsters - to keep them in your main squad with guaranteed match time).

Another reason btw is at the start of my careers B teams often count 30+ players but as the years go by it gets reduced to about 20-22. And as you know AI managers can be brutal on these kids so I need to make sure there's enough "cover" to avoid too much overplaying/ injuries.

As for the "loan" experiment (How To Nurture Talents) that was pre-update with a  broken Reserve Team. Now that everything seems to be working properly it's time I redo that experiment. I will at some point ;)

Shame Benfica B didn't win the second division, then that season review page would've looked even better.

Do you have a good corner taker? If you have someone who has a good delivery, and also make sure players around Bazoer in the box aren't likely to win headers instead of him, you could squeeze a few extra goals out of him.

I don't know who occupies the front post on your corners (in a lot of formations it's the striker), but if you have a striker who is bad in the air then he won't gobble up chances that would otherwise go to Bazoer.

@BatiGoal

You sir, you are a genius . I mean how you do it .we barely get 250goals with striker on EME & you are about to do it with a CB/CDM. 

May be SI should make special version of fmm for you guys where you find it hard to score . #Jelous ????

9 hours ago, Fish18ish said:

Shame Benfica B didn't win the second division, then that season review page would've looked even better.

They actually did a few seasons ago but I failed to win all cups that year 

9 hours ago, Fish18ish said:

Do you have a good corner taker? If you have someone who has a good delivery, and also make sure players around Bazoer in the box aren't likely to win headers instead of him, you could squeeze a few extra goals out of him.

I don't know who occupies the front post on your corners (in a lot of formations it's the striker), but if you have a striker who is bad in the air then he won't gobble up chances that would otherwise go to Bazoer.

Great point! Those are the little details that can make a difference in a few extra goals in the end. Don't think either of my strikers are good headers but since I'm juggling between the two at the moment -can't decide which of the two should be my starter- I'll go with the worst header of the two. Good suggestion. Will test it out.

8 hours ago, Nick11 said:

@BatiGoal

You sir, you are a genius . I mean how you do it .we barely get 250goals with striker on EME & you are about to do it with a CB/CDM. 

May be SI should make special version of fmm for you guys where you find it hard to score . #Jelous ????

Thanks mate! It's all about the set pieces; penalties, free kicks and corners. And the occasional long shot during open play. You (and I :) ) would be surprised how many goals they manage to score.