Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career One Season Only: Vardy Shooting For 80 Goals (SO CLOSE)

Scratch

2 minutes ago, Mr.Manager said:

That player form chart is unreal! Great work man.

Thanks mate! I have to admit, I'm feeling pretty good about the challenge right now. Probably means there's an injury around the corner!  

Just now, BatiGoal said:

If he threatens to surpass the 100-mark pls drop him a few matches. Don't ruin the game for us ;)

Hehe, not going to happen! ;)

On 3/30/2017 at 14:32, scratch99 said:

Armstrong is unlikely to score as much as this next month, but he's in a reasonably good position. He only needs 29 goals and he probably has another 24 or so games to go. Still a tough ask and injury could ruin it at any time, but he has a little bit of breathing room now.

Hmm, got a bit mixed up there! I meant Vardy of course!

Update - February

January was a break through month, with Vardy scoring more than 2 goals per game. Can he maintain that rate? Bring on February and lets find out!

Development

Vardy turned 30 this month and the first hints of the great decline appeared:
vardy-february-07.png.764cac758b97fdce19f399d6b89ef158.png

He's still looking pretty good, but he lost a point from each of his Physical attributes.
vardy-february-05.png.d13cb7eb8f7b91c6631e646504607ca9.png

Goals

What's this? A game without a goal? Vardy's long goal scoring run was broken! Still, 9 goals in 7 games is okay at this point.
vardy-february-06.png.d5ac3c4123e7e7517bea5500f248e1f7.png

Another hat-trick this month:
vardy-february-02.png.80b76c3a1e5c135f39a3376ccff89769.png

That takes him to 60 goals in 39 games. 
vardy-february-08.png.ded4096fd0e261cbd832d763b71fa2ad.png

Results

Here is an overview of how we're going in case you're interested. We're doing well in all competitions, but many of our wins are not that convincing (but we're winning). 
vardy-february-03.png.36606f00f4e79d251c3e1b81ef42e17f.png

The Future

Vardy only needs more 20 goals to hit our target. The team has a guaranteed 14 games left, possibly up to 21 games if we win everything. Even we get knocked out of all the cups at the next round, Vardy only needs 1.5 goals a game, which is what he's been averaging all season. It's still tight and injury can ruin everything, but we're looking good!
32 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

Hmm, got a bit mixed up there! I meant Vardy of course!

28 minutes ago, scratch99 said:
Even we get knocked out of all the cups at the next round, Armstrong only needs 1.5 goals a game, which is what he's been averaging all season. It's still tight and injury can ruin everything, but we're looking good!

Whoops, you did it again..... :laugh:

1 hour ago, veerus said:

Whoops, you did it again..... :laugh:

1 hour ago, scratch99 said:

I guess I'm living in the past! Thanks, fixed now. :)

:laugh:

You're doing awesome and bang on schedule.

Once my current save's over I'm going for a few of these short ones too. Already started the pre-planning process.

Now bring it home. Even a dip in form can't stop Armstr... Vardy. You got this!

51 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

:laugh:

You're doing awesome and bang on schedule.

Once my current save's over I'm going for a few of these short ones too. Already started the pre-planning process.

Now bring it home. Even a dip in form can't stop Armstr... Vardy. You got this!

Thanks! Oh cool, can't wait to see you do some short ones. Definitely a nice break after one of the long ones! :)

As for Armstrong / Vardy, I'm just hoping Vardy can finish the deal like Armstrong did. :)

2 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Looking more than on track mate, what's 20 goals when 60 are in the bag! 

Thanks mate! Though if you've followed my careers, this is right about where the torn hamstring or anterior cruciate ligament come in! 

touches wood

1 minute ago, scratch99 said:

Thanks mate! Though if you've followed my careers, this is right about where the torn hamstring or anterior cruciate ligament come in! 

touches wood

You had more than enough drama in your 1kc! Stop hogging it all hahahahaha 

Just now, Ashez said:

You had more than enough drama in your 1kc! Stop hogging it all hahahahaha 

Alright, I'll try to share it around and just bring this home nicely and boringly. :) 

5 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

Alright, I'll try to share it around and just bring this home nicely and boringly. :) 

Boringly is a poor choice of words, your careers are far from boring ;). Instead of thinking of boring hope for over achieving and smashing the original goal :P 

3 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Boringly is a poor choice of words, your careers are far from boring ;). Instead of thinking of boring hope for over achieving and smashing the original goal :P 

Oh yeah, that's what I meant to say! Never was much good at marketing. :)

1 hour ago, Jack.Holt said:

Yeah, this is going far too well. He's due an injury any day now... :P

How did you know? I'm just about to post the March update and....

Spoiler

Only joking!! No injuries this month thank goodness. Finger crossed!

Update - March

Only 20 goals to go. Can Vardy push on and smash through March and set us up for an April finish? Or will this drag on until the end?

Champions League

I'm going to highlight our Champions League tie against Athletico Madrid in the first knockout round, as it was really tight. What was at stake? Another 5 matches (potentially) for Vardy to score in! 

We have to start the story back in February. We got off to a bad start in the first leg, losing 2-1, with both goals going to Edinson Cavani who we sold to make way for Vardy... Talk about making a point. To make things worse, that was the one game in months where Vardy didn't score.
vardy-march-02.png.dc374d035da4c00af05957ed0f016822.png

That brings us to the second leg in March. We got off to a bad start, with Cavani scoring the first goal. At that point it's not looking good for us. We're 3-1 down on aggregate and if they score again the away goal advantage will really hurt us. We managed to pull one back right on half time. Then Vardy popped up with the equaliser in the 64th minute. And just when it looked like going to extra time, we scored the winner! Whew...
vardy-march-01.png.df0926c8d935f1694767a2be1c2d75a4.png

Goals

There were only 4 games this month and Vardy scored a goal in each of them.
vardy-march-07.png.aa65e94c55396b5efa795bd8b51494d8.png

I'm not happy with the schedule (what manager is?). There are 9 games already scheduled for next month, with maybe a few more cup ties to be squeezed in, so it's going to be hectic. If I have to rest Vardy because of that, it couldn't threaten us reaching the target...

Anyway, Vardy now has 64 goals in 43 games. 
vardy-march-08.png.9b4e973ec6dc2c8e82c8ec59d4f5fbe8.png

Teammates

Let's check in with who's providing Vardy with the goals:
vardy-march-06.png.71efcf393905cd348b0b236051d18883.png

• Verrati has certainly cemented himself as our main midfielder. If only he didn't get so many cards, but I'm willing to accept that if he keeps the assists coming.
  • Coman is doing well and his attributes are way up on when we signed him, but he's been fairly inconsistent. He probably won't be at his best for another year or two. 
  • Pastore has blossomed into a starter, keeping Moutinho out (who's been good, but not providing enough assists).
  • Vrsaljko has been great at right back, but just got injured while on international duty. 
  • Dudu started well, being one of our best players early on, but has faded.
  • di Maria just hasn't done enough. He has a few great games, followed by a bunch of mediocre ones. I wish I'd sold him in January.

Of the new signings, they've all been good, but not great. None of them have really cemented themselves in the team, but they do get playing time on the fringe.

The Future

April will be hectic and is make or break time. He only needs 16 more goals and there are at least 12 games left (up to 17), but with the fixture jam he may not be able to play them all. Vardy's personality is described as 'Relentless' and that's exactly what he needs to bring in April.

April is a tough month. As you say "too many" games can cause your guy to become tired and jaded and lose form as a result. Perhaps a slightly lighter training to cope with the intensity of it all? Don't lose it now, mate :)

2 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

April is a tough month. As you say "too many" games can cause your guy to become tired and jaded and lose form as a result. Perhaps a slightly lighter training to cope with the intensity of it all? Don't lose it now, mate :)

Now that's a good idea! Thanks. I'm glad his Stamina is 18, but with that many games losing form could be a problem. I'll try that out.

I think a few years ago there was a leader board for goal streaks, your January update screenshot would be pretty hard to beat! 

10 hours ago, Joewins said:

I think a few years ago there was a leader board for goal streaks, your January update screenshot would be pretty hard to beat! 

Hmm, didn't know that. I was pretty impressed with that streak. Even when the team wasn't playing well or Vardy was a little off (missing easy shots or largely absent from the game), he'd still pop up with a goal at some point. Just what you want in a striker! 

I remembered his real life streak last year, but he went way past that in the game! :) 

Update - April

We head into April with Vardy needing only 16 more goals and between 12 and 17 games left in hand. Surely he can do that with ease? But a jammed fixture list that means we have to protect him from becoming jaded. And there is always the threat of an injury...

Development

Worryingly, Vardy lost another point from Shooting and Movement. I played with training a bit this month, but not Attacking or Physical, so I can only put this down to aging...
vardy-april-06.png.0f5033e01c639fd1dc7b5617ed79a012.png

Suspension

When I announced this career and my choice of striker, people warned me that Vardy's Aggression could get him in trouble. Luckily, it hasn't been too much trouble, but mid-month he picked up a suspension for too many bookings.
vardy-april-04.png.a7466404ca1930d27cf84cabc292e179.png

It was a pity it came into effect for an easy game, but on the plus side, it was right about when I needed to rest him to avoid him becoming Jaded. It took that difficult decision of whether to rest him out of my hands. Problem solved!

Goals

Vardy started the month in fine fashion, but then had a hiccup, with a couple of goalless games. The suspension gave him a chance to recharge and it was back to normal after that. He ended the month with 10 goals from 8 games, less than I would have liked, but I was happy enough with that.
vardy-april-08.png.9de4183e32f033f1977e18cc3599dc82.png

Vardy got a hat-trick against En Avant de Guingamp (which was the game that marked us winning the League).
vardy-april-02.png.72222f01eb6a54d69842c32db1778dc3.png

Vardy now has 74 goals in 51 games. 
vardy-april-10.png.2cca063379df275ade38dbfcab870078.png

Results

We won the Coupe de la Ligue in a tight tense tussle with Nice, with an early goal from Vardy being the only goal of the game. Could have gone either way, but Vardy's finishing was the difference.
vardy-april-01.png.d0f01dc5c91c5d9e98b7f8f44e2384eb.png

The Future

We got through April relatively unscathed: no injuries, no tiredness, only a slight loss of form which was quickly corrected. Our thoughts now turn to May, which will see this resolved one way or another! 

Vardy needs only 6 goals to reach the target and there will be either 7 or 8 games to be played. He should canter across the line! It is another busy month and we'll need to guard against tiredness, but surely this is in the bag? Isn't it?
Update - May

So May is here. Only 6 goals to go and either 7 or 8 games left. Let's bring it home Vardy!!

Development

Vardy remained as he was for most of the month, but Shooting and Movement bounced back to 18 late in the month. That was nice! But with the challenge almost over, it doesn't make a huge difference now.
vardy-may-15.png.dfe35ba61dd7bf8cd83e53909e8774d3.png

Goals - The Road To 80 (Maybe)

Let's go game by game as Vardy approaches the target.

No goals for Vardy in the first game of the month. That disallowed goal hurt! I'm sure he was onside...
vardy-may-18.png.00a1945d09d2f71ff9f747fe36b14969.png

Goal number 75 arrives courtesy of a penalty. 5 more goals to go and 5 or 6 games left.
vardy-may-19.png.d426dfbc1077d2edc569c219f91af0e4.png

Goal number 76 comes in a 3-1 loss to Juventus, but we're through on away goals and will get that final match, which might come in handy! 4 goals needed with 5 games left.
vardy-may-01.png.e0843418e4b6f303066feeb862adf4a9.png

Another penalty in a tight win over St Etienne and Vardy has goal 77. Now needs 3 goals with 4 games left. This is going down to the wire! Where's a hat-trick when you need it?
vardy-may-02.png.659ac3b6e01ee19d3ed40ae0a81c37b7.png

That was the cue for a hat-trick, but it didn't come... Just a single goal (number 78). 2  goals left with 3 games to go.
vardy-may-05.png.8392ca095c41db52bc704ba89eedce80.png

I can't breath!! Neither it seems can Vardy. He's been a champion all season, but the number of games is having an effect on him. He's worn out, but he has to push on. If there was more time left, I'd rest him, but that's not an option right now...
vardy-may-07.png.63206c001c6aa9d4cab6b93bb68e781b.png

Even though he's tired and not in good form at the moment, just being on the pitch pays dividends. Another penalty (more this month than the last 4 or 5 months)! Goal number 79! Only 1 goal needed and 2 games to go!!!
vardy-may-10.png.762b12a601ec3ced13e8407b58c621e1.png

The next game is the French Cup Final. We've won everything so far this year, but it wasn't to be. Nil-Nil after extra time and it goes down to penalties. We go behind early in the shootout, but Monaco miss the penalty that would have won them the game, only for us to miss in the following turn. 
vardy-may-12.png.da84646c291b08437ff47a34d6c9379b.png

No goals for Vardy in the Cup Final, meaning he is still on 79 with 1 game to go. He must score in the Champions League Final to reach the target... Can he do it? Or is he too tired? 

We'll have to wait to find out. May is over and the Champions League Final will be held in June, so we have to wait until the next update to see if he can do it...

At this point, I should probably apologise to everyone. @Ashez has called me out for hogging the drama here on Vibe with my careers and I think I've gone and done it again... Mind you, it's not on purpose. I'm currently wondering whether I should give the game away, as it's ruining my stress levels!!

Goals - Overview

You probably aren't interested in this after that, but here's the overview. Vardy scored 5 goals from 7 games, his worst return in a long time and 3 of those were penalties. He is really limping to the finish line.
vardy-may-16.png.bceb37009b1a5c6e9bafacea355928ea.png

He now has 79 goals in 58 games. 
vardy-may-17.png.cbe4fa02ed38167142fa82637645d03e.png

Awards

Vardy won Ligue 1 Player of the Year, which was no surprise. And it's probably no surprise that Verratti was Runner-up, Coman was Young Player of the Year and I was Manager of the Year. We had a decent season...
vardy-may-13.png.a063d3b992776e1d8c5c169a98bd0403.png

The Future

Vardy looks done. He's tired and out of form. He's only scored 2 outfield goals in the last 7 games. He can't count on a penalty in the final. He's going to have to score from the outfield and right now, I'm not sure whether he's got it in him.

He does have the heart of a champion however and I've just got to hope that he'll rise to the occasion. 
13 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

:O:O my heart skipped several beats!! You are a danger to this community!! Bring this home or else..

Mate, my heart stopped for several minutes. Several times. This ain't healthy! 

8 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Cheers, now I'm going to be stressed all day wondering if you achieved it all not! Haha

I'm actually going away for a week shortly. Hope I get time to post it before I go! :)

added 0 minutes later

Oh well, I should be nice, so I'll go ahead and post it now... :)

Update - June

So. 1 game to play. 1 goal needed. No more talking, no more planning, no more visualising. It's do or die time!

The Champions League Final

It all comes down to this single game, against Napoli. We'd love to win it and add another trophy to our collection, but really, we'd take a 10-1 thrashing, as long as the 1 went to Vardy.

The game was tight. We were probably the better of the two teams, but only just.

We scored in the 21st minute, with di Maria shooting instead of passing to Vardy, against our strict team orders. Never mind, still plenty of time for Vardy to score.

But it was tight and tense and there were no more goals until the 69th minute, when Napoli equalised through Callejon. 

After that, the clocked ticked down towards the end of normal time, both teams trying, but unable to score. 

Then in the 82nd minute, Napoli had Insigne sent off. That left us with only around 12 minutes or so to try to pinch the winner. And it had to go to Vardy...

By this point, Vardy was around 75% fitness and starting to struggle. He would have been subbed by now in any other match, but there was nothing for it but to leave him out here and hope he could score.

So what happened next?

Spoiler

Warning: It has music (didn't mean that):

Yes, he does it! He scores the goal and we win the match! Was it offside? Looked good to me!! :D 

vardy-june-01.png.4e8c4b7cc93ace1431e1db5e089b7f8e.png

I collapse in a puddle and click send on the pre-written email announcing my intention to retire from the manager's position. I need a break somewhere relaxing... 

Vardy finished with 80 goals from 59 games, which was a fantastic performance. He struggled over the line, but he got there in the end. Relentless... (I expect he has an exoskeleton underneath that skin).
vardy-june-03.png.dccfb8f377e657cebdd5ea23363eff8b.png

His goals lead the team to the league title and 3 trophies. He actually scored the winners in the Champions League and the League Cup. They love him in Leicester, but now they love him just as much in Paris as well. Fair enough, he's a good lad...

So long Vardy...

I might write up more detail on my return in a week or so. But by then, I may be deep into my next career! 

Even getting one goal had to be late and dramatic! The game loves keeping you in suspense! 

Contrats on another great career :D. Any thoughts on what's next?

Have a nice time away mate.