Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Poor finishing costing me points

Just started a save with Bournemouth and decided to run a 4-2-3-1 with king up top.

the roles were 2 inside forwards, 1 advanced playmaker and 1 poacher.

im 10 games or so in and I can't describe how many opportunities my players miss, I'd finish the match with 9 shots on target with 0 goals and get beat by 1 shot on target!

Anyone got any advice or tips, much appreciated.

9 shots. How many on target?

I'm not extremely familiar with the intricacies of the Bournemouth squad (so correct me if I'm wrong), but I would like to question if Bournemouth have the players to even play 2 inside forwards? Switch one or both to wingers, maybe even consider pulling them back to the ML/MR position rather than the AML/AMR position.

That said, inside forwards takes long shots a lot of the time. It's natural to not score in many of the shots, especially if you don't have players suited to the inside forward role. So having 2 inside forwards who are not most suited to the role in a team struggling for chances might be the reason why on paper it seems like you get more shots, but in reality is squandering chances that would otherwise be better crossed into a striker.

IFs shoot a lot from distance so you have a lot of off-target shots.

Turn one of them into a winger, or make both of them APs, the AMC --> CM/IF and play with WBs.

ISF's are just broken and shoot at will, this means you waste plenty of opportunities which sucks, on the plus side they are also rather OP so they'll also score for fun. I'd suggest dropping one of the ISF's however as having two is likely too much if it's becoming frustrating etc, 

Changed to 2 wingers and it's worked wonders, players seem to hit the target more consistently and the conversion rate has improved! My other issue is at the other end of the pitch too, whilst I was scoring 1 from 10 shots on target the opposition always seems to score with virtually every shot! I just lost 4-2 against Burnley from 3 shots on target, its unbelievably frustrating 

18 minutes ago, Lewis11196 said:

Changed to 2 wingers and it's worked wonders, players seem to hit the target more consistently and the conversion rate has improved! My other issue is at the other end of the pitch too, whilst I was scoring 1 from 10 shots on target the opposition always seems to score with virtually every shot! I just lost 4-2 against Burnley from 3 shots on target, its unbelievably frustrating 

What type of goals are you conceding?

Now don't get me wrong, I don't expect to go to Man City and win 4-0, but to concede 4 goals from 4 shots and 2 from 35 yard strikes yet be unable to convert 1 out of 8 chances is just criminal

Who are your 2 middle men and what roles are they playing. What instructions are you giving your team? Also we need to be realistic about your chances against big clubs(would you expect to beat man city away from home).It takes time to strengthen your team upto where you think you have a chance against these teams.

14 minutes ago, slambo said:

Who are your 2 middle men and what roles are they playing. What instructions are you giving your team? Also we need to be realistic about your chances against big clubs(would you expect to beat man city away from home).It takes time to strengthen your team upto where you think you have a chance against these teams.

He bossed the game stat wise though, his formation is clearly working even though he's playing a better team. The issue is purely the game didn't give him the goals while the AI scored every shot. This is why tactic making takes so long and is so frustrating, you can boss the game with ease but if the AI is being a pain they'll laugh in your face. Sure there the argument they're better players and possibly had better chances but then that's just the game giving you poor chances and missing your long shots etc. 

1 hour ago, Lewis11196 said:

Now don't get me wrong, I don't expect to go to Man City and win 4-0, but to concede 4 goals from 4 shots and 2 from 35 yard strikes yet be unable to convert 1 out of 8 chances is just criminal

Long shots are stupidly broken tbf. 

40 minutes ago, slambo said:

I play a ball winning midfielder alongside a central midfielder, and play fullbacks instead of wing backs as i feel with such a weak defence that I'm over exposed.

I play Attacking-mixed-mixed-mixed-normal-pressing

I create a lot of chances but the finishing is lacking even though my striker has good stats, plus my defence is like jelly so if I don't score I generally lose. 

My defences is FB-CD-CD-FB

11 minutes ago, Lewis11196 said:

I play a ball winning midfielder alongside a central midfielder, and play fullbacks instead of wing backs as i feel with such a weak defence that I'm over exposed.

I create a lot of chances but the finishing is lacking even though my striker has good stats, plus my defence is like jelly so if I don't score I generally lose. 

I'd advise against using a BWM, they don't work on EME. 

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

I'd advise against using a BWM, they don't work on EME. 

Sorry to disagree but I have always used a BWM and had great success. I also use a CM next to him. ( a more stronger defensive minded against top teams and more attack minded against weaker opponents).

1 hour ago, Lewis11196 said:

I would suggest that you switch to balanced instead of attacking (it's a bit gung ho for a lesser side. Another point is what is the decision attribute like for your defenders. Bad decision attributes =mistakes =goals against)

31 minutes ago, slambo said:

I would suggest that you switch to balanced instead of attacking (it's a bit gung ho for a lesser side. Another point is what is the decision attribute like for your defenders. Bad decision attributes =mistakes =goals against)

Both my CB's and my RB have 16 decisions and my LB has 15! Now struggling to creat chances, forward players seem to be virtually ineffective 

55 minutes ago, slambo said:

Sorry to disagree but I have always used a BWM and had great success. I also use a CM next to him. ( a more stronger defensive minded against top teams and more attack minded against weaker opponents).

That's fair enough but the role does next to nothing, especially defensively. You'd be better off with two CM's. 

3 minutes ago, Lewis11196 said:

Both my CB's and my RB have 16 decisions and my LB has 15! Now struggling to creat chances, forward players seem to be virtually ineffective 

I find that strange as I play the exact formation and roles except for balanced instead of attack and offside and I have had great success. Also had plenty of good feedback for this tactic

10 games ago i was getting 6/7/8 shots on target, now im winless in 7 and havent scored in 5, i genuinely have ran out of ideas, the game just doesnt want me to score 

Hi @Lewis11196

Are you playing on EME on lates version of FMM2017 (v8.2)?

Compare to last version, I found in v8.2, the efficiency of shots from human managed team is lower than previous version, especially when you manage a low level team.

The long shots and crosses from AI team worked quite well in current version. But not in human team...

added 0 minutes later

I believe this not only a tactics issue. It also relate to balance between AI and Human team.

Long shots could be because your midfielder is giving allowing too much space for the opposition. I've never found the BWM doing anything useful for me, so I don't use them.

Another issue could be your wingers. Where are you playing them? Putting them on the attacking midfield spots can force your fullback to push too far up to cover for the space, which is making chances coming from the flanks very lethal.