Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career When i grow up I want to be Jorge Jesus

I've lurked about on the forum and never contributed, just soaked up information, tinkered, tinkered and tinkered some more with various tactics, ideas and teams. I always like to play with Benfica, they have some great young players that can really develop, some older players that can be sold for profit and a rich history that enables you to attract players of quality.

For my career, i am going to follow (hopefully) in the footsteps of the great Jorge Fernando Pinheiro de Jesus, better known simply as Jorge Jesus. I’m going to skip the first 19 years of his career (i'll be playing forever and it would be impossible to replicate his early career) and dive straight in at Benfica. My plan is to turn them into the super power they should be in Portuguese football over a period of six seasons, before jumping ship and heading to fierce rivals Sporting Lisbon in an attempt to make them the mighty force and topple the empire i’ve created at Benfica.

To put into context the switch of allegiance, this is from newspaper reports at the time of the great man making the move: (Fortunately for me, playing on my iPad at work, i won't face the hostility he will)

Imagine if Sheik Mansour had poached Sir Alex Ferguson from Manchester United to prove that Manchester City were no longer second-class citizens in their own town.

The outcry and hoopla would have been unprecedented and it has been exactly the same in Portugal this week since the sensational departure of legendary Benfica manager Jorge Jesus to ambitious noisy neighbours Sporting Lisbon.

‘It’s the beginning of a war,’ says respected Lisbon-based sports broadcaster Nuno Luz without hesitation.

‘Benfica and Sporting are the biggest clubs in Portugal, not Porto. So, yes, this is a surprise.’

Given that Luz has unparalleled contacts in Portuguese football and has Cristiano Ronaldo and Jose Mourinho on speed-dial, his opinion counts.

It is arguably the most contentious managerial move European football has ever seen. If you want a comparison, think about Luis Figo’s move from Barcelona to Real Madrid during the Galactico era. Barca fans threw a pig’s head at the player when he returned to the Nou Camp and it doesn’t bear thinking about what will happen to Jesus when he takes his new Sporting team back to the Estadio da Luz.

Jesus won 10 trophies in six seasons at Benfica and reached two European finals. Not quite the success enjoyed by the club in their pomp under Eusebio when they ended Real Madrid’s European dominance but impressive nonetheless.

Having just won the league, the biggest club in Portugal and had taken for granted he would sign a new contract, even on reduced terms due to the country’s economic recession.

But they counted without a new push by their rivals from just down the road to reclaim Portugal’s capital city.

Financed by their super-wealthy shareholder Alvaro Sobrinho, an Angolan banker, and carrying a chip on the shoulder because of Benfica’s international power and success – fans of Everton and Atletico Madrid will understand – Sporting have begun to fight back.

The intention is clear, to show like City and Atletico Madrid in particular that ‘second clubs’ can fight back against the global forces on their doorstep. Given the ambition, it will be interesting to see if the appointment of Jesus tempts Manchester United winger Nani to stay with the club after spending last season there on loan.

Whatever happens next, Sporting and Jorge Jesus have laid down the gauntlet. His performances next season will be one of the big stories in European football.

Let the game begin.

My objectives:

I’m very keen to keep a strong Portuguese core and will look to add to this, my key targets are Ruben Semedo and Andre Silva and i will look to offload what i consider fringe players to finance these purchases.

In his first season Jesus delivered the league losing only twice that season so i will hope to emulate this although it will be difficult.

Jesus delivered 10 trophies in his six seasons at Benfica so i aim to top that too.

Despite my efforts and tinkering I've never managed to get a striker to score 30+ goals a season on a regular basis so that is something i also hope to rectify.

My tactic:

So my tactic, I have always been into a 4-3-3 formation, and there is nothing revolutionary about my tactic, i have played around with it for a while and moved the third midfielder between a central position or the Anchor man role but settled upon the following, and it's probably a shape thats been seen a thousand times before on here, but here is my take on it and how i plan to play with Benfica.  Short passing suits my players best and from previous saves in Portugal, short passing seems the way forward, having tried a direct game in Portugal, it ended very badly.

IMG_0351.PNG

IMG_0352.PNG

It good to see you do benfica save ...i'm also doing it mate .you bought some nice young players ....i will suggest you to buy Hirvig Lozano as he develops into beast .

Andre Almeida was Decent player you should've kept him.

What match engine you intend to play on??

Thanks for the recommendation @Nick11 will keep that in mind, but for now I have an idea that I'm going to go with, a little unconventional but it seems to work! And i'm playing on EME.

Good luck with your save mate

Naturally, given my username, there is only one man to lead the line, 4m gets my man, and he seems to have sparked some controversy on here in recent days so i'm keen to see how or if he can still develop. Having signed Andre Silva, you may ask why he is not starting upfront, in the first season I plan to play him as an inside forward coming from the right hand side, regular game time and intensive training will build his stats and prepare him to take over from David Villa. Seems odd i agree but having played Raul Jimenez out of position there in a previous save he delivered goals and performances consistently. And in real life, it does Marcus Rashford no harm, to learn his trade out there, haha.

Good luck with this dude, Benfica are a class team but this is still a very ambitious save so look forward to seeing how you (and you'r very forward thinking tactic get on) 

1 minute ago, DavidVilla07 said:

Naturally, given my username, there is only one man to lead the line, 4m gets my man, and he seems to have sparked some controversy on here in recent days so i'm keen to see how or if he can still develop. Having signed Andre Silva, you may ask why he is not starting upfront, in the first season I plan to play him as an inside forward coming from the right hand side, regular game time and intensive training will build his stats and prepare him to take over from David Villa. Seems odd i agree but having played Raul Jimenez out of position there in a previous save he delivered goals and performances consistently. And in real life, it does Marcus Rashford no harm, to learn his trade out there, haha.

Eme is realistic but also time taking & of all what frustates me the most is how Opponent's gk save 25+ shot & AI scores with single shot.

Raul Jimnez is Very good player ... i think not many people have used him  but in my benfica save he score around 45-46 goals in 40+games You can it  see in my save .

Looking forward to see how silva develops & what about another gem Luka Jovic.

6 minutes ago, DavidVilla07 said:

Just noticed David Villa doesn't appear in my transfers In, but i paid 4m for him so can confirm he is here and is captain, strange!

May be some kind of bug ...in my save guedes was playing for b team but histor show he played for main team & his average rating was lik 1.40

@Nick11 Jimenez is quality, and Jovic has bags of potential so will be  trying to get him game time too, ideally will use Villa up top, and then use Silva/Jimenez/Jovic in the inside forward role and as back-up to Villa. And there is still Ze Gomes too.

Excited to see how this pans out, great idea for a career,  can't wait to see how David villa performs up top with Andre silva stealing the limelight lol 

3 hours ago, DavidVilla07 said:

Just noticed David Villa doesn't appear in my transfers In, but i paid 4m for him so can confirm he is here and is captain, strange!

@Johnson2017 @Ashez - David Villa (the player) causing a bit of an issue in the game here as well.  What's with that man!!

Completely different issue to the original though. Doesn't seem to be scoring a million a game and his stats are dropping unlike the original problem save. So bizarre. 

Anyway sorry for hijacking your thread @DavidVilla07. Looks to be a cool concept and you made some great signings :) 

AF

W                                         IF

BWM  BBM  AP

WB            BPD          CD                 WB

GK

Attacking, Mixed, Mixed, Mixed, Normal, Pressing & Counter attack

but keep the passing short if you want it short

Like that @DavidVilla07

Well in that case don't worry hahaha! That's the formation i always use but with those player roles.  But you're doing well by the sounds of it. That formation gets me some BIG results