Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics 4-3-2-1 Nobody Sits Back

kts365

Intro

Whilst in the middle of my 1kc with Zé Gomes I have altered my tried and tested tactic to a more attacking style. This worked a treat bagging me all available competitions and getting 92 goals for Gomes. 

I then wondered if this was more due to the fantastic team assembled around him or the tactic it's self.

Therefore I ran my usual tactical test which is to take a bog standard stoke team and apply the tactic to them. Rush through a season and see where it gets them.

The Tactic

Screenshot_20170412-141839.thumb.png.c4af80484375089d1c2509ca830bfaf4.png

This is how the team lined up for most of the season but with Muniesa in place of Martins Indi. It may seem strange to miss Shaqiri and Arnautovic out but indent for teamwork over skill here, they were also on the bench if required. It is a very attacking tactic with everybody contributing to attack and nobody really sitting back. Hence why in went for teamwork and passing skills as a priority.

Now lets see the instructions.

Screenshot_20170412-141843.thumb.png.6636a96cdf7b3f1f82e2dff9bd0644af.png

As you can see I have set the team to attacking and pressing so along with the roles I've given they are really sitting high up the pitch. The short passing is another reason I've used players with higher teamwork and passing ability. I have also set the lone striker, Berahino in this case, as the main attacker.

The Results

Now as I am working with the big standard Stoke team i wasn't expecting a league winning performance. Just for the tactic to provide them with a decent league position and the main striker with 20+ goals. So firstly how did the league campaign go?

Screenshot_20170412-141830.thumb.png.3fcb9d2c4d0f7aabaf731eb6d1bca361.png

A 5th place finish is rather good for this team beating out Spurs and Liverpool at that. A 50% win rate in the league is also pretty satisfying. So it appears the tactic achieved league success for a bang average side. Did it get the results for the striker?

Screenshot_20170412-141901.thumb.png.bcae97ba234b546c942b064eb85731fd.png

Well I would say 28 goals is a moderate success. Bringing in  0.65 goals per game. 

Screenshot_20170412-141906.thumb.png.2cd028092d455f6a42c98f280465c941.png

Not sure What the assists prove other than the players with the best passing/crossing and teamwork are most likely to assist the main striker.

So I'm pretty happy with that tactic. Would any others like to test it?

Hi mate,

was playing my St Pauli game last night and have to admit, this set of tactics have saved my season somewhat.  I think what this proves to me is that the match engine is quite unrealistic in a sense.  I have been tinkering away with a balanced 4-1-2-2-1.   Took some advice from guys on the forum aswell but putting logic to a set of tactics in this game seems never to work for me personally.  Always seems to be the same, solid enough but unconvincing at home and then horrific away.

So I switched to your tactics in a last gasp attempt to save my job as the board were becoming increasingly restless having only scored 6 in 10 games or something like that and firmly in a relegation slot.

I obviously have a weaker team than some of the bigger German powerhouses but turning to this tactic has saw me actually taking shots and more importantly creating chances.  I have two CD with a passing of 5 and 8 and moving them to BPD's sounds like suicide but has worked a treat.  I really don't get it but it's working.  I still feel a little suspect to a clear cut chance against me but at least I look like scoring now. 

This tactic on paper shouldn't work for my St Pauli team and I was ready to ditch the game but now that it appears clearer that setting up with something more bizzare works over anything balanced I have got a new view to the game.

28 minutes ago, DaBla27 said:

Hi mate,

was playing my St Pauli game last night and have to admit, this set of tactics have saved my season somewhat.  I think what this proves to me is that the match engine is quite unrealistic in a sense.  I have been tinkering away with a balanced 4-1-2-2-1.   Took some advice from guys on the forum aswell but putting logic to a set of tactics in this game seems never to work for me personally.  Always seems to be the same, solid enough but unconvincing at home and then horrific away.

So I switched to your tactics in a last gasp attempt to save my job as the board were becoming increasingly restless having only scored 6 in 10 games or something like that and firmly in a relegation slot.

I obviously have a weaker team than some of the bigger German powerhouses but turning to this tactic has saw me actually taking shots and more importantly creating chances.  I have two CD with a passing of 5 and 8 and moving them to BPD's sounds like suicide but has worked a treat.  I really don't get it but it's working.  I still feel a little suspect to a clear cut chance against me but at least I look like scoring now. 

This tactic on paper shouldn't work for my St Pauli team and I was ready to ditch the game but now that it appears clearer that setting up with something more bizzare works over anything balanced I have got a new view to the game.

I'm glad this looks like it'll work for you but feel a little bad that balanced tactics are failing. I've always found that with lesser teams a simpler 442 4411 or 451 works quite well but I don't have any tactics to hand in those categories. 

1 hour ago, Taff said:

very interesting set up dude, did you find the team prone to counter attacks with the team playing such a high line?

Sometimes but more often than not the keeper dealt with it. I tended to find we won the ball back quite often before the opposition managed to muster a counter. 

Stoke did suffer more from this however with less pace in defence

1 hour ago, kts365 said:

I'm glad this looks like it'll work for you but feel a little bad that balanced tactics are failing. I've always found that with lesser teams a simpler 442 4411 or 451 works quite well but I don't have any tactics to hand in those categories. 

I've tried that aswell but always seem to get the same kind of results.  It starts off ok, but then something in the game triggers it to fail.  As in, I think at times I am getting somewhere then bang, by half time I'm staring at a 3-0 defeat with 15 shots on target and 3 clear cut chances against me at home.  I wish I had saved it now, but I beat Bayern Munich at home 6-0 the game before they won the title.  Dominated possession, shots, chances the lot.  There I was thinking I was onto something.  Next game I got destroyed 4-0 at home and don't think I had a shot.  Something just doesn't add up for me there.  Continued with the same tactics in the thought the beating Bayern 6-0 with those tactics must have some sort of merit, but no, just got pumped every game thereafter.

I love the game but it's infuriating at times.