Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Newbie questions

Hey,

I'm new to FMM. I used to play a LOT of Championship Manager between 1999 and 2002.
This game reminds me of those good times!

But I'm having some trouble with parts of the game. Maybe you guys can help me out.

1. I can't find most of the recommended players, such as the wonderkids mentioned on this forum. Why is that?

2. I see the terms EME and OME sometimes. What's that?

3. If players are unhappy with their training schedule, and you change the schedule and they're still unhappy. What can you do?

4. How should I interpret the feedback that my midfielders don't create enough chances and the striker is isolated?
I get this with most tactics, even very offensive ones like 3-4-3.

5. Should you adjust the training schedule of injured players to speed up their recovery or is this automated?

6. If you find a tactic that works well, can you keep using it or does the AI finds ways to beat you after a while so you have to switch it up every now and then?

Hey mate,

Welcome to the series! I'm sure you will fall in love with the game as quickly as the rest of us! I will answer as best as I can, hope I can help...

1. What Database are you loading? If there is a wonderkid in Belgium and you don't load that country, or a country near it, he may not appear.

2. EME is Enhanced Match Engine, which is a lot smarter and individually processes each players certain traits and attributes. It takes a bit longer to finish matches, but is more popular I believe. OME is the Original Match Engine, which is a lot simpler, and is based on text commentary. However, you can finish a season in a matter of hours, and play a match in about 1-2 minutes.

3. With players being unhappy, I believe most people, me included, just offer the player a new contract. It gets rid of the unhappiness straight away in most cases. I'd presume that changing the schedule would take a while to make an effect on the player, so the contract way is quicker and saves Squad morale.

4. With this, maybe your midfielders are more defensive players like Matic or similar players? Or there Roles are more defensive e.g. BWM, DLP... If none of these, maybe your tactics aren't allowing them to move forward, are you playing balanced, attacking or defensive? A screenshot of your tactics would help.

5. I never personally do, but I tend not to get long term injuries. I'd imagine it's automatic, but checking wouldn't hurt. I sometimes put them on Fitness if they are injured, or struggling to see out games.

6. I believe the AI does find out your tactic and adapt to it a lot more this year, I have seen it happen to myself many times, leading to several stressful hours of finding a new one ;)

Hope I helped mate, and look forward to seeing you get involved in the community!

1. How can I find what database I'm playing?

2. I have EME so that's sorted.

3. New contract does wonders indeed for unhappy training complaints. Now I'll have to watch my wages budget though....

4. My tactics:

Any tips?

For the Database, it's just in the starting configurations 

For tactics, you have quite an attacking approach with 2 AP's and 2 IF's. Maybe switch the roles of your two central midfielders to something like CM and AP? Or any alternatives, BBM could work just as well as a CM/AP. If you Midfield isn't doing anything, try playing a direct passing style, or maybe switch to Attacking play to incoparate the roles you have set?

Database is in starting config also.

id say that playing offside trap with a limited defender wouldn't work for starters, LD's stay back all the time so not sure how that would translate in game, also change 1 AP to maybe a CM or BBM depending on which best suits your players

I'm fairly new to this game (played the '11 version a while ago) and just downloaded this version yesterday. I got picked up as the manager of Cameroon (the international team) and was wondering how I select players for the roster other than the ones currently on it. (Note: I'm playing the mobile version)

4 hours ago, triforce said:

All these guys...

IMG_0204.PNG

What team are you managing? If you manage a Sunderland or West Ham most of these high potential players won't come. If you want a similar player, just cross reference attributes with less renowned players.

Eg Buffon has high Communication, so just search for GKs with a Communication between 15-20 if you want someone like Buffon.

Go for players with high decisions and also players with pace I think the AI finds it hard to counteract these attributes. I have just won the premiership(after 3 seasons in premiership) with a team which was in the vanarama national(total of 7 seasons). Some of my team are bosmans and some of the others were cheap buys but together they make a sound strong team.

13 hours ago, triforce said:

3. If players are unhappy with their training schedule, and you change the schedule and they're still unhappy. What can you do?

While offering a new contract does work, I've often found it to be a temporary relief.  Players are usually unhappy with training because they're being "overtrained" too intensely.  A new contract offers a huge boost of happiness but if the underlying problem isn't fixed, then it will probably come back.  Lately, I've found it more effective to reduce all training regimes to light except motivation (keeping it at med/intensive to prevent players from losing current attributes too quickly).  This seems to make them happy after a few days and then you can slowly inch up their training regimes to find out their tolerance.

15 hours ago, Dec said:

Who are you managing? Do you have any filters on such as interested?

Feyenoord.

And dammit: it was the 'interested-filter'.... :(
Kinda dumb.

1 hour ago, triforce said:

Feyenoord.

And dammit: it was the 'interested-filter'.... :(
Kinda dumb.

LOL! :)

I tend to ignore that as you can sign players that don't show up with it turned on - although I guess that's a lot more work as you're chasing people who are really hard to get...

I tend to keep that filter on when playing smaller teams to save myself the aggravation and then turn it off when I have the financial muscle to convert the non-interested players. 

All right. Almost finished the 1st season.

I was a contender for some prizes, but didn't win anything.
I lost the cup final, finished 4th in the league and got knocked out of the Europa League in the quarter finals.
But that's OK. I'm trying to build something here.

I've been sticking to the 4-1-2-2-1 formation for this season and used the following roles:

GK
FB  CD  CD  FB
       BWM
    CM    AP
  IF             IF
         AF 

Instructions were: short passing, hard tackling, pressing and offside trap.

What I was happy about: I gained a lot of possession and control. I conceded very few goals, my defense was well organised. I got tons of corners and free kicks. Off-side trap worked great!

What I wasn't happy about: I didn't create many chances. Most goals happened after mistakes from the oppenent. Rarely something out of a nice combo. And also not many goals from crosses (headers). On the pitch overview, I see that my FB's give a lot of crosses and so do the IF's. They all have decent crossing and passing stats and my AF has good aerial abilities. But the ball just doesn't get there most of the times. That's also one of the reasons I switched to short passing after about 10 matches. That way, I hoped to create some more combinations with my team. As mentioned above, it helped with possession, but not much else. It didn't really make a lot of difference if I chose an attacking mentality or not.

Is it my players that just lack quality? Or is it the roles? I was doubting about the IF's. Maybe W's are better with this tactic?
Or something else? The feedback I get most after bad matches is:
- not enough forward runs from midfield
- striker didn't test the goalie
- striker was isolated

Any thoughts?

-I've always found that tactic works well with an attacking mentality

- Probably you don't create much chances because you play 2 IFs that just take long shots

- no many goals from headers because there are no players providing crosses

- I think FBs giving the ball to IFs on the wing when they are already in the box is a bug that has always exixted but nobody talks about it

My advice for you if you insist on playing that tactic is that you should play with an attacking mentality and change one of the IFs to a winger and maybe the CM to a B2B

I play the same formation but have a poacher instead of an AF. Does your AP have good creativity and decisions?. Do your IF,s and striker have "play's one-two's" in their positional traits?.I don't see much advantage to a TM if the team you are playing have defenders with high aerial attributes as I prefer a striker with good shooting, movement,decisions and pace.(just my own preference).

I'll start my 2nd season with the striker in a TM-role. But after a couple of matches, I'll give poacher a try as well.
First couple of friendlies are looking good so far.