Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun/Games Top Football Manager Cup

The official (first) run of the saves produced a clear winner. Both formations saw Uruguay qualify but there's a 9pt difference between the two.

The unofficial (second) run of the saves -for test and confirmation purposes- saw the same formation coming out on top but not by as many points. 5pts. Still a clear enough indication that one of the formations generally gives better results with these players.

My bank account details below:

Spoiler

I'm doing a serious go at the Fair Play Award this year ;)

Top Football Manager Cup 2017

- Round One: The Results -

I know you guys have heard me talk often and long enough and want the results. So let's find out asap then..

Formation A

Spoiler

TFMCformationAa.png

FormationA1.png

FormationA2.png

10W - 1D - 1L = 31pts

Formation B

Spoiler

TFMCformationBb.png

FormationB1.png

FormationB2.png

7W - 1D - 4L = 22pts

Conclusion

Spoiler

We played 12 games only so let's not over-analyze things. Of course every game and every save brings its randomness and luck with it but the one very clear observation I'd like to point out -which makes or breaks the formation- is the following:

Formation A

• Without doubt what made this formation so successful was having Suarez playing as an Inside Forward in FR position. Cavani managed 5 gls and Hernandez 3. Suarez scored an incredible 18. To get over twice the combined goals of our 2 main strikers is crazy. It's my opinion that on EME, IFs on FL or FR flank are tremendous overachievers. And I say that not only because Suarez did way better than expected in these 12 games but I've had the same thing happen on other saves. Imagine the damage 2 IFs can do in those positions. With the right balance and mix of players it's deadly. It does take away from the main strikers of course but it also becomes effective because of that since the main threat comes from the entire front line.

Formation B

• Interesting fact was that none of the 3 midfielders Gonzalez, Castro, Gargano scored a goal in either formation. This formation saw a much more balanced goal output. Suarez 9, Hernandez and Cavani both 7. Still interesting to note that once again Suarez outscored both strikers. But in my opinion the downfall of this formation was the BWM. It's perhaps the underachiever on EME as this player is rarely in position which means there's more often than not a huge gaping hole in the heart of your midfield which opponents take full advantage of. In my own experience I can't play a BWM on EME unless he has 2 other midfielders closeby. Otherwise my midfield will be overrun 50% of the games. Kind of what this formation brought to the table ..one game great possession and a good scoreline followed by the complete opposite.

These are my opinions based on my experiences so far and the above results. If you have a different one pls do share.

An oddity..

FormationX.png

An upside down X-mas tree formation for the Argentina team in a final attempt to salvage a point during their 1-2 home loss to Uruguay (Formation A). Don't see that everyday.. it's a decent attempt but such a bummer to see players in the wrong positions. Before it came to this point they could've been slightly more effective with their subs not subbing forwards for forwards but if this formation is on the table the AI must learn to keep enough forwards on the pitch to play this way and make it more effective. I'd like to see  less of this playing out of position in future FMM series. Not so hard is it??

As for the Uruguay results in the SA qualifiers. Those speak for themselves and clearly favor Formation A. Those who picked A will go through to the next round. Those who picked B, goodbye, mates.

Congratulations to the winners. See you next round. Losers it's over for you guys, sorry, thanks a lot for joining and hope to see you in the next Cup.

Fairly surprised but the power of the ISF should never be underestimated. 

My main concern on option two was the BWM, many of you know how I feel about that role on EME but I expected the more balanced formation to hold out. 

Imo I feel only top BWMs perform well on EME. I just had a look at two earlier test saves and the 2 BWMs who did OK, but not great, in a 2-man midfield had high 'decisions'. I think this attr. has more than ever become a key ingredient for BWMs on EME. They "know" when to chase for the ball and when to keep position. 

Gargano playing BWM in formation B had only decision 13. Apparently not high enough for consistent performances. Curious to know what difference it would make to put a 17+ decisions guy in his place.

Anyway.. Round 2 will be up within 24h hopefully and then there's a 3-day deadline to get your answers in. Cheers!

P.S. Thanks to all formation A people for your generous gifts. Felt like Christmas this morning :)

9 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

It's my opinion that on EME, IFs on FL or FR flank are tremendous overachievers. And I say that not only because Suarez did way better than expected in these 12 games but I've had the same thing happen on other saves. Imagine the damage 2 IFs can do in those positions.

If you recall, in my PO/PA tests, the IF (Martial) was by far the best attacking player in the test formation.  I have some reservations about having 2 IFs as they could crowd the box but, with proper team balancing, it's definitely a powerful role.

@veerus I do remember yes. Reminds me btw, since you're worried 2 IFs crowd the box, about a formation posted by someone with no strikers and 2 IFs. Can't recall who but will have a look. No idea if a formation with a false striker(s) would work. Example: 4-2-2-2 with a square in midfield that consits of 2 def-minded and 2 att-minded midfielders (or false strikers). And an IF on the each corner flag cutting inside.

Too curious to find out..will test straight away..

43 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

@veerus I do remember yes. Reminds me btw, since you're worried 2 IFs crowd the box, about a formation posted by someone with no strikers and 2 IFs. Can't recall who but will have a look. No idea if a formation with a false striker(s) would work. Example: 4-2-2-2 with a square in midfield that consits of 2 def-minded and 2 att-minded midfielders (or false strikers). And an IF on the each corner flag cutting inside.

Too curious to find out..will test straight away..

I had a 4flat

i diamond midfield

and two IFs some time in a tactic, it did work for some games, but not enough consistancy with the roles i picked but good luck :)

Booo! The IF Suarez did worry me but like @Ashez I just preferred the balanced formation of formation B.

Incidentally I pretty much always use 1 AF and 2 IFs and the results have been very good.