Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BatiGoal

AS Monaco Team Guide

AS Monaco

5O44XR0.png

Are you kidding me? Who wouldn't want to manage this awesome French side this year? Giving PSG a massive run for their money in Ligue 1 and currently showcasing some of the finest attacking football we've seen in the Champions League. AS Monaco are definitely one of the hot favorite teams to manage due to their excellent squad. Yes, a truly gorgeous squad, more on that further on.

Name: Association Sportive de Monaco Football Club

Nickname: Les Monégasques - Les Rouges et Blancs

Founded: 23 August 1924; 93 years ago

Stadium: Stade Louis II - Capacity: 18,523

Club Topscorer: Delio Onnis - 223 Goals (for those seeking a side challenge)

Notable Honours:

• Ligue 1 winners (7x)
  • Ligue 2 winners (1x)
  • Coupe de France (5x)
  • Coupe de la Ligue (1x)
  • UCL Runners-up (1x)
  • UCL semi-finalists (3x)
  • Uefa CWC runners-up (1x)
  • Uefa EL semi-finalists (1x)

Expectations

ItTTWhP.png

With the squad you have at your disposal, the talents, the balance in terms of age and positions - it really is one of the more balanced teams you can find in the game this year - the least you should demand of yourself, not the board but yourself, is to give a good run in all competitions and compete for silverware till the very end. You start with excellent training- and youth facilities and eventhough the transfer and wage budgets may seem low at the start of your career I can assure you there's no need to touch any of them in your first season with the club. More on that later.

The Staff

mn0EZbx.png

Quality staff. However, it's important to note that both Caldeira and Barros are specialized as attacking coaches so you may want to replace one of them for a specialization you don't yet have in your coaching staff. The other coaches are specialized in Defence and Goalkeeping, and of course your own chosen specialty. Fitness, Motivation, General and Youth are your alternatives.

The scouts look good too although most of you probably want to see x3 Gold badges here too, I don't blame you, so you may want to look into that. There's a Gold Tactical Analyst and a Bargain Hunter. The Silver one is a Youth Scout. The physios are perfect as they stand. All Gold with two Rehabilitation and one Prevention, unless you want to opt for the opposite number which is just as good. Depends on a manager's preference and to some extent playing style.

Best Defender

5IF2oCR.png

I present the Captain of your team. Lacking pace is a slight issue but problem pretty much solved with a pacey partner by his side. Glik is a quality defender with fantastic numbers where it matters. Reliable, consistent and the first name on the sheet. At 28yo he's right at his peak when you take charge of the club and he's got at least another 5 top seasons in him.

Best Midfielder

KQo6znx.png

Don't let the sea of blue's blind you. Fabinho isn't worldclass yet but don't be fooled, the incredible 10! 14's make him -potentially- your best midfielder. He starts the game as a good player but with gametime and training turns quickly into a real quality DLP or powerful BBM in the middle of the park, whatever you and your tactical set up require of him. I've found him a solid formation for either role and he excels in both. Let me correct myself, Fabinho IS your best midfielder.

Best Forward

XiH3PjM.png

Yes, of course it's Falcao. This team has some wonderful talents on pretty much every corner of the pitch but this 30-year-old Colombian Poacher is your best striker for the first couple of seasons. He is as prolific as the game's best so no need to worry about his form, he'll definitely get you the goals. Either as a lone poacher with assistance from the flanks or with an assisting partner by his side, he isn't bothered by either option. Alternatively put him on a fitness training regime to keep his physical attributes from falling unnecessarily quick.

Talents - Future Stars

EfwgWd2.png

This is usually the part where I go -Players To Buy ..or.. Positions That Need Strengthening- the beauty of this squad is that there's a fantastic pool of talent at your disposal. The talents are aged 17-20yo and the worst thing you could do is dive into the transfer market on day 1 and deny all these exceptional talents their chance to develop into worldclass players. So I'm recommending no buys at all for Monaco and use these future stars as substitutes. Alternatively for easier Cup games.

In fact, some of them are already good enough to make a serious case for a starting spot..Lemar.. Mbappe.. but be very careful. Some of them are just 17yo and, as confirmed by the developers SI themselves, over-playing youngsters in FMM17 could potentially -and permanently- damage their future development so cherish your stars and nurture them well and smart, they're your club's future.

Players With No Future

Every club we start with or inherit at some point during our careers is bound to carry dead weight in the form of players that don't meet the club's standard, or have simply become abundant players, and AS Monaco are no different. These players have no future at the club and need to re-ignite their footballing career elsewhere. Monaco have only two of such players, namely: Javi Garcia and Elderson Echiejile.

• Javi Garcia - a 20yo on loan from Villarreal B. What he's got going for him is that he's quite versatile, but with the abundance of talent already at the club there's really no need to have anyone on loan denying the club's talents' gametime. In fact, 10! players -both Main and Reserve team- are of better quality than Javi Garcia so it's best for both parties to end this loan deal and send him back to Spain.
  • Elderson Echiejile - a 28yo Left Back. Never really established himself as a starter in 3 seasons at the club and has simply fallen too far down the pecking order. Mendy is the best LB at Monaco. Then there is substitute Jorge with alternatives Sidibe (RB - LB) and Diallo (Reserves). Elderson being the 5th best LB at the club isn't ideal for a 28yo so best for everyone is to have him continue the 5 odd remaining years of his career elsewhere.

Tactics + Match Settings A

MmJrl2a.png

6TuYuFb.png

I couldn't tell which of the two formations was the better one as both gave me good results, so instead of going with the usual "main" and "alternative" set ups I simply named them A and B. This one right here features no flanks up the pitch which may seem odd but that's mainly due to having lots of great and talented *but* still young and inexperienced flank players. This formation cuts through an opponents heart when playing 'centered' passing focus. Jemerson (BPD) adds to attack from the back, the 'diamond' in midfield stabilizes the entire tactical set up with 4 quality players sharing all the needed duties, and Carillo acts as provider for Falcao. Refinements untouched, this works well without it. Glik is the team's captain. This is your option A.

Tactics + Match Settings B

MpA2teX.png

oGGHQI5.png

Your option B. If things for some reason aren't as satisfactory as you would've liked there is a more than solid B formation which features AML and AMR for your future stars, Boschilia, Lemar, Mbappe, and others .. the 'diamond' is replaced with two in the middle and two on the flanks for a variation in attacking options. If this style suits you better then this is the formation you should go with. I went with an AP (Silva) for attacking support and W (Dirar), to make great use of our, now, TM (Carillo) up front, on either flank in order to stabilize the midfield. But as mentioned earlier, there are talented flank players who could provide you with IFs as well. There's a lot of options for you with this squad and with the versatility of this fantastic group of players you could choose to play nearly any formation you want.

Match settings speak for themselves. We want to make the best use out of our speedy players on the flank so go with attacking mentality + direct passing. Perhaps it's wiser to leave the refinements untouched, just like in formation A, 'pressing' often needlessly tires your players out and forces them out of position, which may de-stabilize your tactical set up, but if you're playing to get results it offers a good alternative. Perhaps use it in-game when results are little more difficult to come by.

I hope you'll find this AS Monaco Team Guide useful and if it made you decide to play them even better. Feel free to drop an opinion, a comment or suggestion. Thank you for reading!

Glad to see you also have a man-crush on them now, its an amazing team, and Gil Dias as IF on the left side, hot damn he is lethal

One of my favourite saves of the year was as Monaco manager! Couldn't have said it any better regarding the lack of transfers necessary, brilliant guide dude and a very enjoyable read!

A great read my freind, very good work indeed. Monaco are a team I managed last year and was quite enjoyable, may have to include them in a career in the future!

1 hour ago, AndersJ said:

Glad to see you also have a man-crush on them now, its an amazing team, and Gil Dias as IF on the left side, hot damn he is lethal

I do ;) and you're right about Dias. The luxury of having "too many" good players certainly goes for this team.

1 hour ago, Brenty92 said:

One of my favourite saves of the year was as Monaco manager! Couldn't have said it any better regarding the lack of transfers necessary, brilliant guide dude and a very enjoyable read!

Thanks mate. Good to know the community still enjoys reading these.

39 minutes ago, mcandrew003 said:

A great read my freind, very good work indeed. Monaco are a team I managed last year and was quite enjoyable, may have to include them in a career in the future!

Thanks a lot. I haven't finished the season with them but I was very tempted to. I've played Benfica and I've played Monaco and I can say these two teams are probably to most enjoyable ones I've managed on FMM17.

It's always nice to see someone else's perspective on a team regardless of whether the opinion is the same or different! The only thing I would do different to your guide is tactics, I played a 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-2-3-1 in my save

7 minutes ago, Brenty92 said:

It's always nice to see someone else's perspective on a team regardless of whether the opinion is the same or different! The only thing I would do different to your guide is tactics, I played a 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-2-3-1 in my save

As long as we get results, right ;)

I see you opted for a lone striker. The reason I gave Falcao a buddy up front is mainly due to his physicals. With a buddy by his side, who does the "dirty work" for him, he'll last longer in games and gets to play more per season as a result. Your formations look good especially with one of those speedy talents spearheading the attack. Were you playing a challenge by any chance? Getting 1 player to score your goals?

3 minutes ago, Brenty92 said:

Yeah one save was my Latin Europe, then because I enjoyed them so much I started a fresh save with them lol

Thanks for the comment btw. It brought me the idea to feature, if possible, a 1-striker and 2-striker formation in my next Team Guide. This time I went for att. flanks vs no flanks. This squad could play several good formations tho which is why it's a great team.

1 hour ago, BatiGoal said:

Thanks for the comment btw. It brought me the idea to feature, if possible, a 1-striker and 2-striker formation in my next Team Guide. This time I went for att. flanks vs no flanks. This squad could play several good formations tho which is why it's a great team.

I couldn't agree more mate, perfectly capable of 3 at the back too although that would likely mean getting a CB or two for cover, I doubt there's a formation they're incapable of playing tbh! Thanks for the great content yet again ??

Won everything in 4 years and set them up nicely for the future, great team. Bernardo Silva and Thomas Lemar were immense.

Left them with a tidy profit too:

Screenshot_20170425-184557.thumb.png.d69be0a418aead3d4daada5fd6a2b330.png

Really nice guide Bati mate :). I expected Vibe to be flooded with Monaco careers after their Champions League heroics but oddly never happened lol. 

Btw great to see some content on the site again outside of careers and challenges. Hopefully it inspires others to do similar work. Sites full of passionate players again so would be great to see them expand into content :). 

22 hours ago, Dec said:

Nice guide mate. The team has so much potential it's unreal!

Thanks. It's an almost perfect squad. Almost.. there's also a few players that I believe have no future at the club and I made no mention of that.

Since I'm planning on using this as a Team Guide template I'll edit the OP as to make sure I covered all essential points.

19 hours ago, Vaile23 said:

Won everything in 4 years and set them up nicely for the future, great team. Bernardo Silva and Thomas Lemar were immense.

Makes one really appreciate the fantastic work that was/is done by the previous/current manager Leonardo Jardim.

15 hours ago, Ashez said:

Really nice guide Bati mate :). I expected Vibe to be flooded with Monaco careers after their Champions League heroics but oddly never happened lol. 

Btw great to see some content on the site again outside of careers and challenges. Hopefully it inspires others to do similar work. Sites full of passionate players again so would be great to see them expand into content :). 

I very much hope so too.

1 hour ago, ExhilaratingEriksen said:

Great guide! After managing Monaco 5 seasons it's amazing to see how fast and amazing these players can turn out to be.

Thanks a lot. And yes, so true.

One thing that I had forgotten to mention was players with no future at the club. I've editted the OP and I think the guide looks a bit better and more complete now. Anyone who wants to use this guide as a template for other teams please feel free to do so.

This is a great read mate thank you. I did a Monaco save and sold Falcao for 31m and then instantly regretted it. I did sign Ninga who did an okay job tbh. 

12 hours ago, kylieboi88 said:

This is a great read mate thank you. I did a Monaco save and sold Falcao for 31m and then instantly regretted it. I did sign Ninga who did an okay job tbh. 

Thanks a lot, mate. I used to sell anyone 30+ years of age and keep the entire squad really young but those "oldies" are super valuable to any team. As I myself am getting older I've learned to cherish them :)

Your guide inspired me to play fmm again, such a good team is hard to ignore, lack of player to rotate took its toll on me but after changing training regimes we are back on track, very nice find and simple but effective guide

6 hours ago, Lav50 said:

Your guide inspired me to play fmm again, such a good team is hard to ignore, lack of player to rotate took its toll on me but after changing training regimes we are back on track, very nice find and simple but effective guide

That's great to hear, thanks. Getting people back to playing is exactly why I write these.