Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career One Season Wonders: Golden Oldies Legends Edition

Jens

Welcome all,

While taking a break from my 1K career (hot dayum those things are exhausting), I decided to take on the Robbie Keane challenge. Originally as a one time thing, but I must say that these one seasonal things are quite fun to do. Usually I take over a team and I'm in for the long run; buying youngsters, building for the future et al. But this Keane thing has me yearning for something different. So I present to you a series of one seasonal stuff: Golden Oldies, Legends Edition.

I know there's already a challenge named the Golden Oldies, but this is something different. Something just to amuse myself, playing by my own rules. In this series I'll be trying to give one specific player one last chance to shine. I'm thinking Robbie Keane at Tottenham, Christiano Ronaldo at ManU (yeah, he's not so old, but he's over 30 so I believe he fits), Fernando Torres at Atleti, Ibracadabra at Juve, David Villa at Barca, but also midfielders like Cesc at Arsenal, Timmy Simons at Club Brugge,... Suggestions are always welcome! This will be a series to put my tactical skills to the test and see how I can manage different players, different positions and different tactics. Expect at least one oldie-AMC to score as many as possible. ;) 

To start this off, I've done the Keane thing. The challenge there was to score something like 30 goals overall, of which at least 9 in the Prem, and win at least one pieve of silverware. Let's see how I got on, shall we?

Things got off really well. In our first 7 games, we conceded not a single goal. This is a screenie after six of those. As you can see, I quite redesigned the squad, selling a lot of players, but also buying quite a lot. Of those 12 goals, Keane score 4 in the first 6 games. Excellent start!

As you can see, I quite redesigned the squad, selling a lot of players, but also buying quite a lot. One thing I can say: Lucas Moura did not bring what I hoped he would. I ended up relying on Lamela, which wasn't ideal as his preffered foot happened to be the wrong one. Fabinho was class, as always, and even managed to put Dier on the bench. Most of the other signings were for back-up as I'm always very happy with the current class this squad posesses. Drinkwater ended up a first choice too, as Alli was too inconsistent. Mbappé scored some important goals, but needed too much time to adjust. Son was my first choice though. Since I didn't have to look at the future, I chose to sell Kane and Eriksen.

Spoiler

The season ended with no Champions League succes at all (knocked out in first knockout stages, my team was very inconsistent at this point), but we did manage to grab the title. It made me very happy.

8pLZ1J5.png

Not bad for a 36 yo.

He was my MVP for the season!

All in all an excellent season. A shame I couldn't beat 30, but I'm happy with what I got. Unfortunately, the champions league remains a blimp on my radar; I haven't gotten close to it yet this year, but that's got a lot to do with the kind of teams I've played so far. Still, a triumph in that area would be nice. Perhaps later? Oh oh oh! We also won the League Cup! I don't know if that counts for anything?

Who should be my next challenge? I'm thinking Ronaldo at ManU, but what do you guys say? I'm open for suggestions.

13 minutes ago, Taff said:

Great start and there are so many players this could work with, Rooney back at Everton to name one

Rooney would be an excellent case! But would I use him as an AMC (his new position) or as a striker, where he started out?

44 minutes ago, Jens said:

Rooney would be an excellent case! But would I use him as an AMC (his new position) or as a striker, where he started out?

You should take Rooney - i have played many games/seasons with him and i cannot get 15+ goals to his name, please take him and proove me wrong ??

3 minutes ago, AndersJ said:

You should take Rooney - i have played many games/seasons with him and i cannot get 15+ goals to his name, please take him and proove me wrong ??

But the question remains: in which role?

Nice concept and start Jens :), 28 goals is impressive! 

I feel one option you haven't mentioned is ideal for this. 

Totti! He's about to retire so this is his last few months on FMM, why not attempt to get him that European trophy his career deserves! 

An odd choice but Peter Crouch is one of the older strikers I have time for on the game, always found him still a solid enough option. 

2 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Nice concept and start Jens :), 28 goals is impressive! 

I feel one option you haven't mentioned is ideal for this. 

Totti! He's about to retire so this is his last few months on FMM, why not attempt to get him that European trophy his career deserves! 

An odd choice but Peter Crouch is one of the older strikers I have time for on the game, always found him still a solid enough option. 

I was thinking about Totti as well! He's still very capable despite being a relic of the game. (Imagine: when FMH first came out he was already 29!) Never been a fan of Peter Crouch, but I might do an Andy Carroll back to Liverpool, just for your sake ;) 

Great effort! So close to 30 and so much better than my own attempt (though I did win the Champions League of course :P).

It's interesting to see how their attributes were different. My Keane ended up better physically than your one, but you're had better Shooting, Movement, etc. Was he on Intense Physical training? Mine was on Intense Physical and Attacking. I guess there a "luck of the draw" element to it too..

Anyway, great idea for series! Ronaldo at Man Utd would be great, as would most of the other ones mentioned. 

4 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

Great effort! So close to 30 and so much better than my own attempt (though I did win the Champions League of course :P).

It's interesting to see how their attributes were different. My Keane ended up better physically than your one, but you're had better Shooting, Movement, etc. Was he on Intense Physical training? Mine was on Intense Physical and Attacking. I guess there a "luck of the draw" element to it too..

Anyway, great idea for series! Ronaldo at Man Utd would be great, as would most of the other ones mentioned. 

I had him on my special fitness training, which is very light.

11 minutes ago, Ashez said:

If you're open to using the editor to make the transfer possible Zlatan at Ajax could be awesome fun. 

Currently trying Rooney at Everton and had no other choice than using the editor; the wages were ridiculously high.

Ronaldinho back to Barca would be a good one, I seem to recall he's available on a free at the start of the game too so shouldn't be too difficult.

Just now, Idol said:

Ronaldinho back to Barca would be a good one, I seem to recall he's available on a free at the start of the game too so shouldn't be too difficult.

That's a good shout. Probably the most difficult one to get right though :D Still, would make for a very interesting game.

10 minutes ago, Jens said:

Currently trying Rooney at Everton and had no other choice than using the editor; the wages were ridiculously high.

I expected as much, it's why I felt Zlatan was worth mentioning :). 

2 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I expected as much, it's why I felt Zlatan was worth mentioning :). 

Though I'll always remember Zlatan more as a Juve/Inter player than one of Ajax.

Good work mate, 28 is very impressive! Got a few suggestions....

Cassano back at Real

Drogba back at Chelsea

Yaya Toure back at Barca?

Robben at Chelsea

A very interesting idea mate, looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Gareth Bale back at Southampton

Suarez at Liverpool

Jamie Vardy to fleetwood ?

Great idea for a challenge series mate!