Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Scratch: Second Chances (DONE) & Armstrong 1KC (DONE)

1 hour ago, BatiGoal said:

Villa are my 2nd fav. club so that's wonderful news :)

Okay, now I know who's goalkeepers to buy when the transfer window opens. Villa are still in the Premier League, but not for long! ;) 

13 hours ago, Cockers2505 said:

@scratch99 & @BatiGoal girls girls, now now stop scratching (no pun) each others eyes out, its just a game!!! :D

Hehe, it's all just fun and games. Everyone knows I love @BatiGoal . Why do you think I left Birmingham to last in first place? But, let's face it, they do need to go up, I can't play this challenge for ever... 

4 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

Everyone knows I love @BatiGoal . 

<3

4 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

I can't play this challenge for ever... 

Sure, you can, and I hope you will :P

8 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

<3

Sure, you can, and I hope you will :P

That's because you know my next career will be a 1KC! Wanting to keep your place on the leaderboard? :P 

31 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

That's because you know my next career will be a 1KC! Wanting to keep your place on the leaderboard? :P 

Coming in with a new score so no worries at all there :D

Just now, BatiGoal said:

Coming in with a new score so no worries at all there :D

Hehe, I will end up behind you again I'm sure! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mini Update: 1KC 

Armstrong started the season needing 44 goals to reach 1,000. By the time we faced Huddersfield in February, he'd brought that down to 2 goals. So what happened? 

secondchance-season13-100.png.ca4c9db7a193e3ebc61c8c8fb9bc12ee.png

Yes!! In the 67th minute Adam Armstrong scored his 1,000th goal under my management (a total of 1,030 when including the goals he's scored for other managers).

secondchance-season13-101.png.131fc5da3a3e98cfc6d3d0ec796988fa.png

It wasn't the most convincing of goals however. It was a deflected shot from Gomes:

secondchance-season13-102.png.bdb17ead883de69292799f8953172f85.png

And the other team thought he was offside (I'll let you make your own minds up about that one!):

secondchance-season13-103.png.297407f6523b5b0ed5bba777f512757a.png

But still, 1,000 is 1,000 and they can't all be glory goals! 

Now I just need to get Sheffield United and Birmingham promoted and we're done here. Sheffield United aren't far off clinching promotion, but Birmingham got off to a bad start to the season. They've done a lot better since then, but will it be enough? We'll have to wait and see. ?

6 hours ago, Risheek said:

Congrats on the 1000 mate! Looking forward to the full update!

Thanks mate! I'm really trying to finish of the season in the next day or so. Hopefully Birmingham will do their bit and I can move on to my planned 1KC. If they don't I'll be back at this again!

added 0 minutes later
5 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Big achievement, you did it again, congrats! 

Thanks mate - although as you know I don't see this one as a proper one! Still nice to achieve though. ?

3 hours ago, Taff said:

Congrats on getting Armstrong 1000 goals again

fantastic career dude, and so close now to getting it done, 2 teams left and plenty of time to do it

Thanks mate. At this point I just want it to be over. I'm in early March now and Sheffield United have already won the title, so all eyes turn to Birmingham.... This is late Feb:

Screenshot_20170831-165107.png.3f930763a8971bb7c34456369e9ee791.png

All the teams above them are goalkeeper-less. Some will keep winning but some will struggle. Will it be enough? We'll see! 

Just now, Risheek said:

It's tomorrow in abt half an hour in Oz isn't it? :P 

Hehe, in about an hour... ?

I've just played through the last two games, but won't be able to write things up until tomorrow at the earliest. It was very very close in the end. 

Spoiler

Luckily Wigan and Brentford had no keepers and to top it off I'd bought half of Brentford's team. Was worried about Wigan though as they still had good players, just no keepers...

Screenshot_20170831-230109.png.c949e1497a55cb77b6cd519c21f063b0.png

4 minutes ago, Risheek said:

Looks great mate! Congrats! I'll be looking forward to the full update!

Thanks - I really stretched this to it's limits with decimating Brentford, but you can't do that to all teams - just take their goalkeepers and sometimes that works well and sometimes not so much.

Luckily Birmingham had a very good squad, but that was all from last year, they wouldn't exchange players with me this year. They got off to a terrible start for some reason, not sure why, then they clicked and went on a steady rise up the table. Left it a bit late though! 

Just managed to catch up and you are already done! It was so captivating that i spent abt an hr reading through all the pages non-stop and of cos i had to read some moments of @BatiGoal being afraid that you will outdo him:P

But great job on this super tough and tedious challenge! I certainly won't have the patience to sit through all these matches and planning and charitable acts, much less doing such fantastic write-ups! Thanks for coming up with this career thread and hope to see the final update soon!

16 hours ago, Cockers2505 said:

congrats @scratch99 on reaching the 1K with Armstrong,I guess you will be picking him again for your ACTUAL 1K challenge? 

Thanks mate! Not going with Armstrong this time. Need someone younger and someone who plays for a country I can get the ITN job for. Was thinking Nigerian at first, but it's not that. All will be revealed soon! ?

16 hours ago, salohcin said:

Just managed to catch up and you are already done! It was so captivating that i spent abt an hr reading through all the pages non-stop and of cos i had to read some moments of @BatiGoal being afraid that you will outdo him:P

But great job on this super tough and tedious challenge! I certainly won't have the patience to sit through all these matches and planning and charitable acts, much less doing such fantastic write-ups! Thanks for coming up with this career thread and hope to see the final update soon!

Thanks for reading through it all! Much appreciated. Will try to get the final update out tonight if I can, but it will probably be pretty brief! I've already moved on...  ?

53 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Congrats mate! What a crazy 1kc this has been! Best of luck on the remainder of the challenge! 

Thanks mate - I'm going to leave it here. Armstrong made it to 1001, then got injured and spent the rest of the season out. And Birmingham came through for me. I just need to post it...

Update - Season 13 - Sheffield United

We're so close now I can smell it! 44 more goals left for Armstrong and 2 more teams to get promoted.

Transfers

Here are our transfers out:

Spoiler

secondchance-season13-33.png.65ffc5c7476b63d41d81c667617340ed.png

secondchance-season13-34.png.128e3cb760dfbb8bd8b427a23c13f4f3.png

Here our transfers in:

Spoiler

secondchance-season13-35.png.8a09ba7883dcb4fb89f1418be21bc232.png

secondchance-season13-36.png.36863657d03e0f877504b11b435ee322.png

secondchance-season13-37.png.b2d2d6933259a7bc0437abeeb80da42f.png

secondchance-season13-38.png.0c0c0f2c962ae06145f83ad43510ecb7.png

Once again I brought the bulk of my old team across from Blackpool, once the transfer window opened. I only managed to make 1 exchange with Birmingham this year, but fortunately they had a great squad from the previous year and I did everything else I could to help them.

Charity

I passed Birmingham £150M the previous year, I pulled apart their opponents (mostly buying all the goalkeepers, but also going so far as to buy half the Brentford team), I gave them the 6 point bonus of beating us, etc. Would it be enough? You bet it would! But only just.

You'll also see in there that I bought the keepers of some Premier League clubs. Was that just to add to my extensive collection? Nope, I was trying to help Man City finally pick up some bonus points by winning the Premier League again. This is where they were just after the transfer window shut:

secondchance-season13-21.png.ad08c0b316b519abfce37a172f41eb86.png

Results

We won the League comfortably, with 39 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses.

secondchance-season13-99.png.1031ebe6ed7b3155ed406486e143aeac.png

In the League Cup, we breezed through the competition, avoiding any major opponents until we came up against Manchester Utd in the Semi Final. We won that 5-0 on aggregate, which set us up with Chelsea in the Final, where we won 3-2 in extra time.

secondchance-season13-28.png.e9f1cf919ece0520cbbfe6071562a091.png

We avoided major opposition in the FA Cup as well, until we came up against Manchester City in the Sixth Round and they put us out on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

secondchance-season13-29.png.7460620886d9e4ac9da15d4f53bb6851.png

Accidental Armstrong 1KC

This season turned out to be the season of injuries, starting with 3 games out:

secondchance-season13-17.png.54b40bc4445c6ab658db23f7359e9847.png

If you've seen the mini-update above, you'll know he reached 100 goals in February. As soon as reached that milestone, he got injured and was out for a month:

secondchance-season13-22.png.6758e1833b61afcb226f627113267c67.png

Then just as he came back and was nearing 100% condition, he got injured again, finishing his season:

secondchance-season13-30.png.fd7068475ddbcd41be6e5a9bb416aac8.png

Still, he finished the season with 45 goals in 41 games, taking him to a total of 1001 goals total under my management.

secondchance-season13-39.png.837001fa6acec0339dd040cab7b6676d.png

Way to go Adam!!

At the end of the season, the injured Armstrong looks like this:

secondchance-season13-40.png.7428d4f5159b07075be3ffe68859eaa0.png

Still plenty in the tank if I wanted to push on, but as I mentioned before, I'm not going to put this one on the leaderboard, so I'm going to call time on the 1KC.

League Tables

Here's the top and bottom of the top two tiers of English leagues (no need for L1 and L2 anymore):

Spoiler

secondchance-season13-41.png.096c2a31973770eb16f71138df41af3c.png

secondchance-season13-42.png.0fd60949b536fcc382af4e00c30cb05b.png

secondchance-season13-43.png.d8a643815d50f60bb1af8e857c2f0353.png

secondchance-season13-44.png.943e5e475549bb6c678e3722b713d076.png

Did buying all of Arsenal's and Man Utd's keepers work? Yes! Man City overtook them both! But wait... Chelsea managed to pip them all, beating Man City to the title on Goal Difference! So we end the challenge with Man City unable to win the title in 13 years... Yet again: no bonus points...

In the Championship, both Sheffield United and Birmingham got promoted, crossing off the final names on our list and completing the challenge. I won't go through it all again, there are more details in some posts above this one, but Birmingham got off to a slow start, then went on a long run where they caught their weakened opponents up. Nail biting!

Past Winners (3)

Spoiler

• Manchester United

• Arsenal

• Chelsea

• Manchester City

• Blackburn Rovers

• Leicester City

Completed (27)

Spoiler

• AFC Wimbledon

• Aston Villa

• Barnsley

• Birmingham City

• Blackburn Rovers

• Blackpool

• Bolton Wanderers

• Bradford City

• Cardiff City

• Charlton Athletic

• Coventry City

• Derby County

• Fulham

• Ipswich Town

• Leeds United

• Newcastle United

• Nottingham Forest

• Norwich City

• Oldham Athletic

• Portsmouth

• QPR

• Reading

• Sheffield United

• Sheffield Wednesday

• Swindon Town

• Wigan Athletic

• Wolves

Conclusion

So, it's done!

I have a love / hate relationship with this challenge. I really really enjoyed it at first, as it let me engage in team building which I love, but ... it got tired fast.

I'd build teams up, then pull them apart before I got to see them reach their full potential. I'd find great young players, only to exchange them on to someone else instead of seeing them grow. And buying players to exchange with so many teams was draining.

I'm sure the approach I took (transferring money around) didn't help, as it's very artificial. I probably would have abandoned this career long ago, if not for the 1KC. But in the end even that felt wrong with the approach I took.

I'm glad I pushed through and finished it, but I am so ready for something else! Thanks all for reading and see you again soon!

Huge congrats completing this marathon of a challenge. Never doubted you for a second unlike everyone else :P looking forward to your next quest.