Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career BG's 1-season challenges 5/5: DT with Ronni & Messi

8 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

There it is then. Piece of cake keeping the job. Securing promotion wasn't particularly hard either with the team I managed to get. Winning the league was slightly trickier as we started to drop more and more points towards the end but had enough left in the tank to finish top spot with this wonderful Kidderminster side. Toughest challenge was of course getting 20 Comebacks in but we managed it in the end. We got 22 to be exact. Our form got me slightly worried as we drew too many games and the fixtures list was shrinking rather quick as we approached May but the boys did it. Formations worked, players understood my instructions, luck was on our side at times, I guess it all clikced for us. Had a really enjoyable journey. Hope you enjoyed it too. See you all at my next and final challenge of this series.

22 Comebacks

Cheers for reading and see you all soon.

Well then........... :S

Nicely done! :laugh:(y)

9 hours ago, mcandrew003 said:

Wow. Just wow. I think you may be best FMM player in the website, no joke. Such an inspiration aswell, it's your international career that made me want to do one, and this is no different as I'm reading this wanting to make a challenge from something as interesting as this, or something different altogether. 

Well done mate, cracked yet another challenge and I'm looking forward to the next one. 

I'd have to disagree but thanks a lot, mate :) appreciate it. Really hope people get inspired to showcase their own work/careers on Vibe. 

9 hours ago, Brenty92 said:

Jesus mate you got there in the end lol. Great job you deserve every bit of press this achievement gets you!

What did I say about Waide 'The Hitman John Wick' Fairehurst'! ? Tempted to try him higher up or in Scotland or something lol he might wreck!

Tight but glad it turned out OK. Yeah Fairhurst is bloody awesome in these lower leagues.

5 hours ago, veerus said:

Well then........... :S

Nicely done! :laugh:(y)

Thanks for the support!

Awesome once again mate a really interesting challenge played to perfection by the Master that you are

really interested to what insane challenge you use to finish off this fantastic thread

1 hour ago, Taff said:

Awesome once again mate a really interesting challenge played to perfection by the Master that you are

really interested to what insane challenge you use to finish off this fantastic thread

Thanks mate!

I have finally settled on a closing challenge and I'll put it up tonight with a small introduction. But let me say this, don't be fooled by its title ;)

2 hours ago, Real_Random said:

Very impressive mate, this challenge was great to follow and I can't wait  for the last one. KIU

Thanks biggie! Won't have to wait too long ;)

BG's 1-season challenges 5/5

- Double Trouble with Ronni & Messi -

Fs3Hp45.png

- Teaser -

To come..

• Update 1: The Player Introduction
  • Update 2: Formation+Masterplan
  • Update 3: First Half of the Season
  • Update 4: Sec. Half of the Season

See you soon :)

55EP0v0.png

- Player Introduction -

Welcome to my final 1-season challenge: - Double Trouble with Ronni & Messi -.

Double Trouble; I'm going to attempt to score 100 goals with Ronni and Messi. That's going to be a walk in the park surely. 50 goals a piece. Piece of cake. Cristiano Ronaldo is a monster. Lionel Messi a wizard. Only little problem is that these two kids were never going to settle for a club like Olympique Marseille (with all respect) at this point in their career. Why OM for this challenge you may ask? A couple reasons. Ligue 1 is the only top league I haven't played in these series + I need a decent club as completing a Double Trouble challenge is no joke. And OM, well, my "Luuk de Jong - 88gls" was a success going with a club in La Coruna that played no European matches. Marseille are in the same boat with league games and 2 domestic cups only. It'll generate the boys roughly 50+ games / season which works perfectly with plenty of rest inbetween games. It worked for Luuk de Jong so hopefully it does as well for Ronni & Messi.

Ronni & Messi. Who are these two then? Well, it's no CR7 and certainly no L.Messi. Let's meet the players..

Ronnie Schwartz a.k.a. Ronni

obEFZyZ.png

&

Kalen Damessi a.k.a. Messi

QzSztF2.png

Ronni & Messi Background

Spoiler

2u1tiLf.png

There you go. My version of Ronni & Messi. Not exactly as good as the namesake greats but it'll do. I hope. They only cost me 1M combined so that left me with a solid budget left for other squad improvements. The only position that was in dire need of strengthening was the Goalkeeper. OM had terrible GKs so we had to spend a few Ms on a solid Brazilian GK to keep the balls out. Other than that the squad is pretty balanced. Ronni's got an average collection of blue's and with training and double attacking coaches he should improve some of the blue and get greens before the year's end. Messi no different. No greens but an OK collection of 12s, 13s and 14s and with gametime we hope to see 15+ on some of his more significant attributes. He's nowhere near THE Messi but hopefully a good-enough namesake to bring this challenge home. Let's peek at some other details..

Ronni

Player Role

PoDEsPo.png

I'm playing a 2-striker formation and this role is Ronni's best. It was my intention to play an AF and P up front so this makes deciding a little easier. He "Moves Into Channels". Great I guess. One green. That's all we have to work with. Let's just hope he improves his overall game over time and that the boys behind him, the all-important providers, give Ronni enough chances in the season to score somewhere close to 50 goals. Ronnie the Advanced Forward.

Positives/Negatives

eBL3bp9.png

Some welcome positives here. Shooting from distance, I like. Being a decent penalty-taker is kinda nice since EME loves making penalty-takers miss. A lot. Hopefully Ronni finds a way to stop that nasty habit. As for the negative, no worries, not playing ITN games gives him plenty of rest I suppose so it may turn into a positive for him.

Messi

Player Role

pJI2HhT.png

Messi's best role is playing as a Poacher. Again, my intention so no need to waste time on deciding what role to assign him. "Tries First Time Shots", that's actually a pretty nice green to have. Unfortunately it's the only one so like with Ronni, we need to pray the assisters in the AMC strata have what it takes to pass the ball to the duo up front for 100 goals in total. If this Messi comes close to 1% of the real Messi we're good. Messi the Poacher.

Positives/Negatives

fBIo7Iq.png

I love this positive. No better positive than Clinical Finisher in the box for goal-scoring challenges. And to top it off he's selfish too. That in my book is another positive. Altho passing the ball to Ronni in a better position is more valuable for this particular challenge but sometimes being selfish gets you more goals. As for lacking leadership..probably the best negative to have so no biggie there. Lacking creativity will hurt. It'll cost assists to Ronni and goals in general but hopefully we can minimize the seasonal damage on this one.

Looking at our boys I can't help but feel reasonably optimistic and confident in a successful outcome. Won't be easy but I think Ronni & Messi have what it takes to score 100 goals and complete this Double Trouble...just. Your thoughts??

Next Update

Formation + Masterplan

My thoughts?... You sir are crazy! If you can manage 50 between them I'd consider it successful ?

If anybody can.. BatiCan ?? good luck bud

Indeed @veerus no legends in this one :)

150 for the actual legends is probably the right number. But oh man sounds like a massive challenge. Bringing the pair to the same club is a challenge in itself lol Would love to see someone take that on tho. @Taff challenge for ya :laugh:

Oh and by the way, I love the last challenge, you are the definition of that guy who sits in the corner strumming his fingers up and down over his lips, that special kind of crazy

images.jpg.19c1492e0bfa1ea9649d4bb2ea5a93db.jpg

5 hours ago, Taff said:

Oh and by the way, I love the last challenge, you are the definition of that guy who sits in the corner strumming his fingers up and down over his lips, that special kind of crazy

images.jpg.19c1492e0bfa1ea9649d4bb2ea5a93db.jpg

You mean the previous one, The Comeback Kidd? 

2 hours ago, Real_Random said:

Very interesting concept mate. Can't wait to see how this one goes. KIU

Thanks for the support, guys (y)

55EP0v0.png

Challenge Objective: Score 100 goals with Ronni & Messi

- Formation + Masterplan -

You've read the intro, now let's move on to the all-important formation and masterplan. We didn't deal with a lot of transfers during pre-season. The only players I bought was of course Ronni and Messi and also a GK. I felt I had enough material in the squad to get 100 goals out of the killers up front. But we were lacking a decent GK so we had to spend most of the budget on a goalie. With only a couple million left in OM's budget I didn't bother to look for extra reinforcements. I'm happy with the squad.

So most of the pre-season was filled with looking for the best formation for this squad. I actually spent 3 months -July-August-September- bringing the puzzle pieces together and it was no easy task. I took me 8 games (4 friendlies and 4 league matches) to finally decide on the winning formula. I think, hope, these tactics are going to get me across the finish line.

Formation: 4-2-4

uGs5xCj.png

I was excited about this one. But what works on paper doesn't always work on the pitch. But we need to give it a shot anyway, right? Sometimes the EME likes weird formations and destroys sensible ones so whatever we think may or may not work, we always gotta put it to the test. And this one's no different. I liked this one mainly because the 2 DFs up front -put pressure on the defensive line, chase down the man in possession and loose balls and generally stop the opposing defence having any time on the ball...prefering to bring other players into the game than create his own chances- so that with pressure, high line in offside trap + committed tackling I thought I was on to something. Failed. I fiddled around with the match settings but didn't really work wonders so I moved on.

Formation: 3-1-2-4

eLYUGXv.png

I moved on, yes, but still not giving up on those DFs hehe! Gotta work, I thought, but not quite. The triangle DLP + APs worked super well in my "Luuk de Jong" save but in this formation the triangle is down one line. Simply to provide a little more support to the back three and to not go overly attacking so I was hoping for some sort of balance. I had to give it a shot since it was highly effective 3 careers ago. Looks great on paper..all my formations look great on paper but I'm kinda biased lol.. but wasn't effective. We failed to create decent chances and score goals + the DFs underperformed once again so I'm giving up on those two. Playing as DLFs didn't help either. Time is running thin so I'm going to try something new.

Formation: 3-1-4-2

keS7OLP.png

This is just a ridiculous formation that flashed through my head and eventho I gave it little chance of succeeding I needed EME's confirmation. No DFs or DLFs, just 2 out and out strikers, poachers, with APs behind. One for each if you will. Wingers on the flanks to provide crosses, a DLP to link back and front and support the 3 defs at the same time. Could be ultra effective if it got the EME approval, but it did not. I barely won the game, and of course I know a single game is nothing to go by, but I just don't have much time to look for formations so I decided to move on and tweak further...I'm enjoying the tweaks tbh..

Formation: 3-2-3-2

TrvCRHp.png

This was actually a decent formation. Solid enough with a triangle CM-DLP-AP in the center. Wingers on the sides and our Messi played Target Man to -use his strength and aerial presence to bring teammates into play rather than relying on his technical ability- I've had good success with TMs this year but unfortunately this Messi is no Target Man so this little project failed. I really want to make good use of the 2 loanees Thauvin and N'Jie, they're quality, but at the moment I'm not sure where they'd fit best in the team. One of the reasons I moved away from a back 4 is because Evra aged pretty quickly during the past month or so and he wasn't the top Left Back/Wingback he used to be so I felt he'd become a liability. I felt I could do with an extra man elsewhere but having a hard time to find the winning formula for this OM side.

Formation: 3-1-1-3-2

fJsgW6N.png

They only reason I tried this one is because it looks ugly hehe! I thought maybe tricking the EME into ugly formations would work but didn't really impress the opponent. Kinda similar to the previous 3-2-3-2 but with a "messed up" triangle in mid. Again, DLP for defensive support, a CM because..well..because he's dead center..and this time an AP from the flank. As I said, those loanees on the flanks are quality, but I can't really find a suitable spot for them on the pitch to get Ronni & Messi scoring. Not as DFs or DLFs, not as Wingers and not as APs. It didn't click in the couple games I tried so I gave up on 'em ..on the flanks that is.. and sorta reverted back to the very first formation I experimented with.

Formation: 4-1-3-2

bqn15wG.png

We're back with 4 defenders. No Evra as he's just not good enough anymore at 35yo but with Hubocan taking his LB spot. To me this is a weird one, but it's working pretty well. We're dominating possession and creating a fair amount of chances. Scored some decent goals vs decent opponents..I heard the silent "click" so I'm keeping this one. I actually started with a ridiculous 3 APs behind our main fellas up front but that was too crazy. I turned the middle AP into a CM, something I very rarely do in that spot, but it seems to have balanced things out. So Advanced Forward Ronni has got Payet as his own personal AP and Poacher Messi his personal AP in Cabella. CM Diaby is keeping the two providers apart and linking all parts together. Top dog Sanson is our DLP who -operates in the space between defence and midfield and aims to initiate attacking moves via pinpoint passes to players positioned higher up the pitch- pretty crucial role one would think. Sanson is definitely the right man for the job.

The back consists of no-nonsense LDs Rolando and Doria who aren't good enough CDs so they'll do with a more simplified version of a CB. And loanees Thauvin and N'Jie have been demoted to the bench and will serve as subs to cover for injuries, suspensions, or underperformers. I'm actually happy to have a quality bench at my disposal -as we're having some tough opposition and enough games coming up- so I think we're on the right path with good depth in the squad and this 4-1-3-2 formation. And last but not least our Goalie, new GK, Fernando Miguel is there to keep the balls out. He's a hundred times better than the keepers we had at the club so I think we're ready to get Ronni & Messi their 100 goals and complete this challenge. Do you?

Cheers for listening. Comments, love, support welcome!

Next Update

1st. half season

How many formations?! Your relentless testing shows just how much time you put into your careers, looking forward to seeing the outcome of this!

This is brilliant mate. Might be my favourite challenge out of the five, and i really like how you've shown us the thought process for selecting your formation. Good luck mate. I think you'll get close, but i'm not 100% convinced you'll hit your target - you said about 50 games for the season, so you need them both to average a goal a game...

Im not convinced by the formation but eme nvr makes sense anyway! Loving the idea of this challenge, looking forward to reading the next update!