Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career BG's 1-season challenges 5/5: DT with Ronni & Messi

2 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Thanks GG (Graphics Genius) You'll be surprised how decent their team is. They need additions to the starting 11 to compete but with the spine assembled + the brand new formation we're ready to break records :)

Thanks for the blessing RR. Aren't sad endings a thing now? They say we learn from our failures so I'm once again ready to learn. Got my pencil and notepad at hand :)

Haha thanks for the nickname! Im crazy about that too :)!

36 minutes ago, danovic78 said:

Glad to see someone giving this one a go,@BatiGoal

Good Luck!

Thanks. If pre-season is anything to go by then this will be a walk in the park. My new formation is killing it, but there is something else that could be key in getting consistent results. Think # of games, La Coruna aren't playing in Europe.. more on that later.

Good luck Bati, to get 87 goals in just league games and cup games would be incredibly impressive. I can imagine you knocking off 2 of the 3 fairly easily but clearing that mark would be utterly stupendous in my opinion! He'll have to average something like 1.9gpg I'd guess? 

I tihink you may have to change your name to BatiGod if you succeed at this.

4 hours ago, Brenty92 said:

How fo you always have a brand new killer tactic?! I've got like 1 at best ?

Always? I wish :) Got about 3-4 that work pretty well and now 2 that are pretty badass. Will throw in an update tonight.

1 hour ago, Idol said:

Good luck Bati, to get 87 goals in just league games and cup games would be incredibly impressive. I can imagine you knocking off 2 of the 3 fairly easily but clearing that mark would be utterly stupendous in my opinion! He'll have to average something like 1.9gpg I'd guess? 

I tihink you may have to change your name to BatiGod if you succeed at this.

I will try to explain it in the coming updates. Basically what has worked wonders for me is the right balance between a solid formation/tactics, number of games (with enough rest inbetween) and IT regime. I'd like to do much more testing obviously before posting any definitive tactic but it *seems* to me that overplaying a striker for a 1KC for example with 60-70 games a season has a massive toll on his form and consistency. Having too little rest inbetween games makes him much less effective over the season, playing a regular career you'd need subs to keep the team performance up, but when playing goal-scoring challenges you want your 1 guy to score. Approx. 50 games a season looks like the perfect amount with league and cup games somewhat evenly spread over the calendar. European/ITN games, suspensions, injuries throw the entire system off balance so it's kinda unpredictable.

But I won't confirm anything yet, I'll keep doing my experiments and tests before posting anything definitive that may come to haunt me :)

BG's 1-season challenges 2/5

Deportivo La Coruña ’99

LaCoruna4.png

Pre-Season + La Liga Start..

You didn't really think I was going to attempt this without having half a decent chance did ya? My only main worry is getting a longterm injury to my striker but I have no control over that so let's just hope injuries don't ruin this challenge. Or a sudden retirement (yes Isaac Success the Nigerian who ruined my ITN challenge is still fresh in my head) but that's luckily not an option this time. Let's get this underway, shall we.. sign a Dutchie, score 23 league goals and 87 in all competitions.. (fyi, my seasonal record is 83 goals in an unofficial season so I need to break my personal best to complete this challenge) :O

The Dutchie: Luuk de Jong

DLC99a.png

This is the man that's gotta seal the deal for us. Don't worry about his attributes. I've put him on IT and his numbers look much better 2 months in. You'll see in a bit. What I love about him is that he is (going to be) all-round. He needs to as he's playing as a Complete Forward in my formation. He's kinda like a Poacher and Target Man in one so he will excel with good APs behind him and Wingers from the sides. I'm glad I managed to get his signature as that was my main problem with the challenge.

Transfers

DLC99f.png

Depor have about 10M in transfer money so it was a struggle to get Luuk to sign for us. I *had* to get him or I wouldn't attempt this challenge. Not with Depor. So we sold our top striker Andone to up the budget and brought in Luuk for 15M + a player valued 7.5M. He didn't come cheap but he's worth every penny. For much needed depth I brought in Reyes on loan and an absolute bargain in Radut 4M. He's real quality and a steal for that price. He's one of two APs behind Luuk de Jong.

Pre-Season Friendlies

Spoiler

DLC99b.png

DLC99c.png

DLC99d.png

DLC99e.png

Luuk de Jong - 4 games - 14 goals

A perfect pre-season and I'm at this point convinced which formation I'll need to be using and which player and player roles.

Formation: 4-1-4-1

DLC99h.png

It doesn't look spectacular perhaps but it's highly effective. Sidnei and Arribas are two outstanding CBs and I'm surprised to have found such a strong defensive duo at this club. Both worldclass. Fajr actually lost his starting spot to a much better performing Borges in pre-season. So John and Gil are the main providers from the flanks and Radut and Borges from the center. Luuk is both Captain and Primary Attacker. Playing as a CF it doesn't matter much how or from where he receives the ball as he's got the skill to ram the ball into the goal.

Luuk de Jong: 2 months Intensive Training

DLC99j.png

All his physicals jumped up by +3 and that was always going to be crucial. He looks much better a player already. Shooting, Movement and Technique all up as well which makes him a much stronger CF now. At 26 he's peaking.

DLC99i.png

He joined the club as a 3.5 CA-PA player and is now a top quality 5 star striker. He's got it all to make this work.

La Liga: The Start

DLC99g.png

A brace vs Atletico away. Surely if we can start the season like this and beat Atletico on their home turf we needn't fear anybody.

DLC99m.png

Luuk gets a hat-trick within the half hour mark. Hopefully the first of many.

DLC99l.png

A second hat-trick in three games. A great start to the challenge and bearing injuries we could make a serious run for those 80+ gls.

Luuk de Jong: Form & Goals

DLC99k.png

8 in 3.

One of the things that I believe has added massively to Luuk's (and the entire team's) form is the amount of games we're playing. They seem to have the perfect amount of rest inbetween games opposed to a team playing in Europe. It's still early pickings but this has worked well in test saves with similar teams playing a similar schedule. I struggled to keep the consistency of the main striker playing in teams with a much busier schedule. So to me rest seems crucial.

A second factor that has contributed to Luuk's (and team's) performance is the time I spend analyzing opponents. Not a long time mind you, just a minute or two. I usually don't bother with this as I prefer to just play a quick game but I need to score 87! goals so details matter. I have a quick look at the opponent to determine my passing focus. My match settings remain untouched for every game except the focus. I look for weaknesses to exploit.. space in the middle.. a double up on BWMs perhaps.. a weak player on the left.. an uncomfortable one on the right.. stressing the passing focus thru their weakest area has worked well so far. If none detected (like vs Atletico) I'll go with Mixed.

That's kinda how I've been going about this challenge. Do you think Luuk can get those 87? Comments welcome. Cheers!

That is a very promising start and I've always liked Luuk used him a while back in something and he is a quality striker and I'm sure he'll kill it in La Liga

Mate that is a real good kickstart to this tough challenge!  22 goals in 6 games (albeit 3 friendlies but still!) I feel like withdrawing my good luck wishes as i feel you no longer need it ?

21 minutes ago, Brenty92 said:

Mate that is a real good kickstart to this tough challenge!  22 goals in 6 games (albeit 3 friendlies but still!) I feel like withdrawing my good luck wishes as i feel you no longer need it ?

I still think he's Mansfield Crazy (wink wink @Ashez) but thats why we love him

6 hours ago, Taff said:

That is a very promising start and I've always liked Luuk used him a while back in something and he is a quality striker and I'm sure he'll kill it in La Liga

Thanks mate. Have used him in earlier editions but he's become a much more complete forward now. The perfect guy for this challenge.

5 hours ago, Brenty92 said:

Thanks big! 22 in 7 actually but keep those well-wishes coming. It's a long and tricky road to 87 so we need that bit of luck to achieve grand things. :)

3 hours ago, Ashez said:

Okay, you've managed to get my attention! Dang that's a promising start! 

This "rest" issue is really keeping me thinking. It's brought so many new theories. Depor's 48-game schedule (potentially - if we go by a perfect cup run) gives the players plenty of rest which is why I decided to go with Intensive Training. 

So I'm truly wondering how "damaging" IT (or even default training) is, or how big a factor it plays, on players getting as much as 60-65 games a season. The sheer amount of games is an IT training in itself so I'm wondering if we aren't overplaying them causing loss of form, slumps, inconsistency etc and we're not better off going with a much lighter training for needed rest.

This obviously doesn't go for regular careers as we have subs to tackle the "busy schedule" issue but for goal-scoring challenges maybe the main player should be rested a lot more to avoid form loss etc. Some things to ponder over.

I like the thinking of that yet with how random the game is it's kinda impossible to know. If a goal is scored is almost a toss of a coin and either outcome would change the situation and it's impact etc. 

My process is on short challenges I ignore IT as I'd rather they play while on longer challenges it's resting via subbing. Like I'll pretty often take my striker off on the 80th min, over 9 games that's a match he's missed/rested kinda thing. 

How often does a player get tired if you make sure he only plays matches which he starts at 98-100% conditioning?

Also, can you elaborate on this passing focus thing?  To me, mixed passing is basically a "They're pressing so I don't think short is going to work".  Otherwise, short passing seems very effective in most cases.  And I've done tests on direct and it's literally a "hoof it down to the striker" tactic which is suboptimal at best.  On my list to test is long passing since that's what I originally thought direct was but I'm not expecting much out of it...

2 hours ago, Ashez said:

Like I'll pretty often take my striker off on the 80th min, over 9 games that's a match he's missed/rested kinda thing. 

How much rest is enough? It's really hard to determine especially taking into account what SI confirmed earlier this year that "overplaying" is a thing. 

To me Conditioning and Fatigueness are seperate things. The first being short-term (tiredness after a game) and the second being long-term (tiredness after say 3 games in a week). How do I know these are in the game at all? I don't, it's hard to prove unless we're told by the developers themselves. But I certainly got the impression these exist in the game from my recent saves, and if there is a so-called 'fatigueness' then subbing players in 80th min. wouldn't help to avoid an inevitable burnout.

1 hour ago, veerus said:

Also, can you elaborate on this passing focus thing?  To me, mixed passing is basically a "They're pressing so I don't think short is going to work".

You're mixing up 'Passing Style' with 'Passing Focus'.

I leave my passing style untouched (it's actually short and in some cases direct) but I determine my passing focus on the opponents' weaker area. Thru center if I believe there's space to exploit, thru flanks if I smell opportunities there, thru right if their ML or DL is weak etc etc.

I think fatigue might be covered by the Jaded unhappiness? Is that actually still a thing thinking about it? Used to be a massive issue in earlier games but I don't recall the last time I saw a jaded player tbh. (I rarely look in fairness)

I love how all our convos always come down to the smoke and mirrors of SI and FMM lol. Tbh I don't know what I believe, I even take some of the SI comments with a pinch of salt if I'm honest as there is a lot that I feel is insinuated or hinted at. We can't prove it wrong so why not say it's a thing, 99% of it is impossible to prove or disprove with what we have access to. Like the ISF info text has always stated they cut onto their stronger foot yet the game has only just added footedness etc, was it there beforehand? Possibly but who knows for sure, for all we know nothing has changed and they've just added a footedness icon :P (poor example but tired and first to come to mind :P.) There are so many myths around the game imo, especially around it's depth. 

Like you referenced the over playing comment. How does that work? Players retire earlier or decline quicker? That's like impossible to prove as it's impact will always be different due to how random the game is. Yet that comment has been thrown out there and now you're second guessing everything and the game appears to have more depth to you :P. How deep does it go? How much of it is real? Who even knows at this point haha. 

Imo the game is that random just do whatever works for you, it's not done you any harm so far :) 

@Ashez

Jaded- was indeed a thing but haven't seen it much either in FMM17.

Smoke & mirrors- too true. We've been there before but we still end up having these sort of convos once a month or so :laugh:

Footedness- haha I know what you mean. It something tho, it does make a difference but maybe it was there from the start. But now they got two boots to show for lol.

Overplaying- a chunk of grey this one. As you say, so many factors could affect this but at least the tests I've been running as well as this career are showing positive signs re the balance between games and rest. But this formation I ran into seems pretty awesome so I'll need to test this rest thingie in a variety of scenarios.

Your last words are too true. Do whatever works. I try to not over-analyze things but sometimes a specific bit of info or odd looking pattern drags me right back to it. Well, Luuk is killing this challenge so far so I'll keep doing more of the same for now ;)

14 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

I leave my passing style untouched (it's actually short and in some cases direct) but I determine my passing focus on the opponents' weaker area. Thru center if I believe there's space to exploit, thru flanks if I smell opportunities there, thru right if their ML or DL is weak etc etc.

Ah yes, ok that makes more sense. :)  I wish there was an option to combine two options because sometimes I want to do center AND one flank but i gotta choose one or the other (or mixed which sometimes will go to the wrong flank).

12 hours ago, Ashez said:

Like the ISF info text has always stated they cut onto their stronger foot yet the game has only just added footedness etc, was it there beforehand?

My view on that was always that IFs were agnostic when it came to footedness so whichever flank you put them on, they would be equally effective cutting inside and shooting.  Now, the favored foot makes a difference.

@BatiGoal Usually if you want your guy to shoot a lot, you're making him a P (at least, I do).  What does having him as a CF add to the equation for you?

25 minutes ago, veerus said:

@BatiGoal Usually if you want your guy to shoot a lot, you're making him a P (at least, I do).  What does having him as a CF add to the equation for you?

My interpretation of a Complete Forward is a striker who's as good with his feet as with his head Poacher-TargetMan in one if you will. So I thought it could work well in combo with APs and Wingers who all serve as providers for a multifocal attack.

I must say it's been working tremendously well. I'm ahead of the 87gls schedule atm. I may have to post the complete tactics if I manage to complete this challenge.

Deportivo La Coruña ’99

LaCoruna4.png

Half Season: September - December 2016

Quick reminder of my 3 objectives for this challenge:

1. Score 23+ La Liga goals with a Dutchie
  2. Win La Liga with Deportivo La Coruna
  3. Smash Bebeto's club record of 86 goals

In my first update I introduced the formation, tactics, players and the first couple of games in September. Let's continue where we left off..

September

Spoiler

DLCgame1.png

A great start to this challenge in September first beating Atletico away and now Barca at our own Riazor Stadium. Not even playing over an hour with 10 men could stop us. Barca left dumbfounded and we take the points. Luuk gets a brace.

October

Spoiler

DLCgame8.png

DLCgame7.png

DLCgame6.png

By far Luuk's best month. 2 hat-tricks and 4 vs Gijon. Luuk has become a worldclass CF and the APs and Ws are making sure our main man gets his chances in every game. This formation and tactics are clicking as never before.

November

Spoiler

DLCgame5.png

DLCgame4.png

Another two hat-tricks for our Dutchie. Definitely not lacking luck with two stoppagetime goals to complete both hat-tricks. Sometimes you gotta force your luck I suppose. He has already completed the first objective by this point: Beating Roy Makaay's seasonal record of 22 La Liga goals. One down, two to go..

December

Spoiler

DLCgame3.png

DLCgame2.png

A hat-trick and a brace among others. Yes, the Madrid game brings us back to Earth. You need to remember that I only spent 1 transfer window building this Deportivo side so it's not exactly a worldclass team yet. The spine of the team is top tho with outstanding CBs and solid CM and two fantastic AMCs. Both flank players are quality as well and of course our Dutchie de Jong.

This team's weak points are our two FBs and the GK. The club had limited funds to work with so we have to make the most of this team. Madrid clearly found space to exploit and took full advantage of our weaker FB and with a mediocre GK conceding 5 is not entirely a surprise vs a peaking team in Madrid. Luuk continue's doing his goal-scoring thing tho and we still remain at the top of La Liga.

World Player of the Year 2016

DLCinfo4.png

Deservedly the best player of the year. He's scored so many goals, no one came even close.

La Liga Table (half season)

DLCinfo2.png

Looking really good for us here in Objective 2. We need to win La Liga in our first year and we're cruising it. Leading runners-up by 8 pts with half season to play. Normally that's enough to bring the title to La Coruna but we need to keep our performances up, not taking anything for granted.

Luuk de Jong Form

DLCinfo3.png

Objective 3 is looking great as well. The tactics are certainly working well for these lads and Luuk in particular. One game where he was pretty much non-existant but the other 19 he delivered. We're still a big chunk short of the 86 goals so I'll continue spending my minutes analyzing opponents for weaknesses to exploit before every match. I'm taking my time here as I can't afford any mistakes. An injury, a drop in form or complacency from my part could end this challenge so we need to stay top of our game.

Luuk de Jong Goals

DLCinfo1.png

20 games - 41 goals. We're not half-way yet but have still at least another 20 games to play. With a good Cup run we can add another 6-8 games to that. Scoring at the same ratio will get us Bebeto's record but anything less and we'll come just short. We need a few things to go our way in terms of injuries and form and perhaps a little luck along the way as well. It's doable, definitely doable with this team in this form, but a challenge killer could just as well be around the corner I suppose.

What do you guys think? Any chance of completing this challenge? Love and support welcome. Cheers!

11 minutes ago, PainfulBiscuits said:

I can't see the pics from the last post @BatiGoal :( but still, I admire you for trying to complete this challenge

Thanks mate..photobucket is acting up.. I'll try to sort it in the next few minutes but may leave it for tomorrow night as I'm running out of time here. Cheers.

6 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

Thanks mate..photobucket is acting up.. I'll try to sort it in the next few minutes but may leave it for tomorrow night as I'm running out of time here. Cheers.

Photobucket is always acting up, I'd recommend imgur tbh

3 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Photobucket is always acting up, I'd recommend imgur tbh

Really don't have time for this BS today..will switch to imgur asap and sort this out in a couple days. Cheers!

Goodbye Photobucket, Hello Imgur.. here's the latest update with pics :)

Deportivo La Coruña ’99

LaCoruna4.png

Half Season: September - December 2016

Quick reminder of my 3 objectives for this challenge:

1. Score 23+ La Liga goals with a Dutchie
  2. Win La Liga with Deportivo La Coruna
  3. Smash Bebeto's club record of 86 goals

In my first update I introduced the formation, tactics, players and the first couple of games in September. Let's continue where we left off..

September

Spoiler

4vorYQk.png

A great start to this challenge in September first beating Atletico away and now Barca at our own Riazor Stadium. Not even playing over an hour with 10 men could stop us. Barca left dumbfounded and we take the points. Luuk gets a brace.

October

Spoiler

pb0KV5I.png

uwgAkW5.png

VqkL0QN.png

By far Luuk's best month. 2 hat-tricks and 4 vs Gijon. Luuk has become a worldclass CF and the APs and Ws are making sure our main man gets his chances in every game. This formation and tactics are clicking as never before.

November

Spoiler

kcTx8le.png

aC6hYxl.png

Another two hat-tricks for our Dutchie. Definitely not lacking luck with two stoppage time goals to complete both hat-tricks. Sometimes you gotta force your luck I suppose. He has already completed the first objective by this point: Beating Roy Makaay's seasonal record of 22 La Liga goals. One down, two to go..

December

Spoiler

Q9n9hZm.png

f4Jz2Qk.png

A hat-trick and a brace among others. Yes, the Madrid game brings us back to Earth. You need to remember that I only spent 1 transfer window building this Deportivo side so it's not exactly a worldclass team yet. The spine of the team is top tho with outstanding CBs and solid CM and two fantastic AMCs. Both flank players are quality as well and of course our Dutchie de Jong.

This team's weak points are our two FBs and the GK. The club had limited funds to work with so we have to make the most of this team. Madrid clearly found space to exploit and took full advantage of our weaker FB and with a mediocre GK conceding 5 is not entirely a surprise vs a peaking team in Madrid. Luuk continue's doing his goal-scoring thing tho and we still remain at the top of La Liga.

World Player of the Year 2016

yQZT6eQ.png

Deservedly the best player of the year. He's scored so many goals, no one came even close.

La Liga Table (half season)

ggbFXPC.png

Looking really good for us here in Objective 2. We need to win La Liga in our first year and we're cruising it. Leading runners-up by 8 pts with half season to play. Normally that's enough to bring the title to La Coruna but we need to keep our performances up, not taking anything for granted.

Luuk de Jong Form

YPErWlG.png

Objective 3 is looking great as well. The tactics are certainly working well for these lads and Luuk in particular. One game where he was pretty much non-existant but the other 19 he delivered. We're still a big chunk short of the 86 goals so I'll continue spending my minutes analyzing opponents for weaknesses to exploit before every match. I'm taking my time here as I can't afford any mistakes. An injury, a drop in form or complacency from my part could end this challenge so we need to stay top of our game.

Luuk de Jong Goals

haac88o.png

20 games - 41 goals. We're not half-way yet but have still at least another 20 games to play. With a good Cup run we can add another 6-8 games to that. Scoring at the same ratio will get us Bebeto's record but anything less and we'll come just short. We need a few things to go our way in terms of injuries and form and perhaps a little luck along the way as well. It's doable, definitely doable with this team in this form, but a challenge killer could just as well be around the corner I suppose and I've had a few of those ending a couple of my recent challenges.

What do you guys think? Any chance of completing this challenge? Love and support welcome. Cheers!

1 hour ago, BatiGoal said:

Goodbye Photobucket, Hello Imgur..

Why not just upload pictures to the forum?  That's how I do it...

1 hour ago, BatiGoal said:

One game where he was pretty much non-existant but the other 19 he delivered.

LOL what happened in that game?

I haven't heard Photobucket mentioned in years! I used to use that back in the day but moved to Imgur after getting fed up of PB (also reached the upload limit and they wanted dola). Imgur is pretty decent but don't use the app as you can't get the IMG code as far as I can see, the mobile site is sound to use though.

Anyway that form is bloody mind boggling! I expected you had some kind of encouragement to do this save but I never expected this! Totally smashing it Bati! 

Tell you what BG, dont think I've seen anybody as prolific as that before. It'll be interesting to see that tactic of yours ;)

Only kidding of course, you have knocked one objective down, 2 to go and it's looking good. Won't jinx anything just yet though. KIU!

2 hours ago, veerus said:

Why not just upload pictures to the forum?  That's how I do it...

If Imgur does a photobucket on me I will.

2 hours ago, veerus said:

LOL what happened in that game?

Complete off day. He started the game with a missed penalty in min 5 or 6 and apparently never recovered from that. :)

2 hours ago, Ashez said:

Anyway that form is bloody mind boggling! I expected you had some kind of encouragement to do this save but I never expected this! Totally smashing it Bati! 

Thanks! I knew the formation was solid but must admit never expected Luuk de Jong to be this good. He's a great CF and fits the role perfectly.

1 hour ago, mcandrew003 said:

Tell you what BG, dont think I've seen anybody as prolific as that before. It'll be interesting to see that tactic of yours ;)

Only kidding of course, you have knocked one objective down, 2 to go and it's looking good. Won't jinx anything just yet though. KIU!

Feeling confident re La Liga win but getting those 87 goals is still an immense task. I'm in March now and with 2 months left it's looking like it's going down to the wire.